Author Topic: Petition: please Sign - Please do not cut the trees on the Girivalam Path  (Read 3428 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear all,

Please do the needful and spread the word.

I just signed the petition "Please do not cut the trees on the Girivalam Path" and wanted to see if you could help by adding your name.

Our goal is to reach 5,000 signatures and we need more support. You can read more and sign the petition here:

https://www.change.org/p/please-do-not-cut-the-trees-on-the-girivalam-path?recruiter=563753219&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=share_email_responsive

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:08:53 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

drsundaram

• View Profile
done,.. shri nagaraj.
Also have posted in face book requesting all my contacts to support
namo ramana

Sadhak

• View Profile
Dear Nagaraj,

Thank you for posting this petition here.

Unfortunately the current district collector has not been receptive to suggestions from the local residents on many issues. Let us hope this petition is successful.

What is needed is a proper foot path on the stretch through town from the bus stand until ramana ashram. This means removing all the shops and other encroachments that have made it nearly impossible to walk this stretch. Not cutting more tress along a fairly comfortable walking stretch on Girivalam road!   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear Dr Sundaram, Sadhak and friends,

Thank you, It is our duty I felt to do as much as little as we can! In place of the trees had it been our children or kith and kin, how would we run and do what not?

I wonder...., we, 'Homo sapiens' are the worst among the living species, if some of the good lot can take at least minimal steps as this by just participating in such instances, would be the minimum expected!

No wonder, Self Realisation is only for Homo Sapiens!

The other species are far ahead, living in harmony with nature!

All a divine play! Sometimes such plays are bewildering!

The Supreme will prevails!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Sadhak

• View Profile
A large number of people held a protest this morning on Girivalam Road. At the end of the protest many went to meet the collector. Don't know what happened after that. As mentioned earlier, I don't have much faith in the current administration but I will be delighted to be proved wrong.

Balaji

• View Profile
Griri valam road Trees
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

drsundaram

• View Profile
The above photo has relevance to the below text posted  by a friend of mine in FB
"I have been trying to post this morning's story all day, but for some reason it is not posting. It is just sitting and spinning on my iPhone.. So rewriting from memory on this iPad while my phone keeps spinning.
ALL BULLDOZING HAS STOPPED FOR NOW!!!
There were over 100, someone said 200, people at the Girivalam road this morning, including media. Mostly Tamilians. We stood in a long line holding hands while the media clicked and videoed away. People spoke. The bulldozer man came also and was spoken to and said he wouldn't doze until after our meeting with the Collector at 10am, so he went up the road. As we were standing there speaking, we noticed that he was working as his lights were on, and we went up the road to see that he had knocked down an old tree. Very angry, the people told him to stop and then staged a road-roko and sat down and blocked the road. The police came and words were spoken. Finally they promised to not doze till after the Collectors meeting. Gauri and I "occupied" the bulldozer, as the driver went down the street, until the police came and told us to get out!!!! 😝
We then went to the Collectors and had our meeting with him. At 10am, about 30 of us went and met the Collector. He told us the plans. Then many people spoke of why this should not happen this way, to doze down the old trees, destroy the environment, the sacredness, legality, practicality. He listened and agreed to stop the destruction now and wait until our next meeting. He also doesn't want the trees cut.
When our next meeting is we don't know yet, but I bet not too long from now.
I feel, we, as a community, need to come up with alternate, creative and workable plans to fulfill the proposed plan in effect: ambulance road or way to hospital, toilets, rest areas for the pilgrims during Girivalam. Plans that don't include cutting down the trees to make this happen.
Don't forget, this is basically to fulfill a once a month occurrence, so no need to cut trees, but we need to be part of the solution, not only complain of the destruction. We need to put our heads together on this. I already have some ideas. We all need to help. We need to do this now.
I was told there will be a Facebook page on this and a WhatsApp group, so we can talk and share ideas. Please join.
Also, if anyone sees the dozer working on Girivalam road, please get in touch with one of us, as we need to stop it. Dev Gogoi, Sanda, Vijay Karthik, Me, Armand..... There are many.
All I can say is such sadness for the trees already brought down... 😔
....... Let there be Peace ..... Let there be Peace ..... OM Shanti, Shanti, Shanti ....."

Sadhak

• View Profile
Dear Dr sundaram,

I also heard the same news.

"ambulance road or way to hospital, toilets, rest areas for the pilgrims".

We have all seen ambulances including emergency ambulance from 108 going through the road even on deepam days which is the busiest day of the year. No doubt it will take a few extra minutes but this is a really lame excuse for cutting hundreds of trees and building a road for the sake of 1 day in a month.

Rest areas and toilets:  Now where would people rest? Under the natural shade of trees or on the concrete road? Our administration says road!

Seems like they have decided to build the road and are coming up with flimsy 'reasons' for doing so.

Anybody suggested approaching the Central government directly and seeking the support of the Environment Minister?

drsundaram

• View Profile
A petition was presented to the Collector at Tiruvannamalai asking that no more trees be cut around the Arunachala Girivalam Roadway in connection with further road development of this area. The Petition reads:

"Sir, The proposed widening of the Arunachala Girivalam / Pradakshina road by the Tiruvannamalai administration will lead to an irreplaceable loss of ancient trees, forest lands, sacred groves, and cause considerable damage to sacred tanks and temples. The farmers whose lands will be acquired for the project will also be severely affected. Any relocation or shift of this ancient walkway, will also be an incalculable loss of our historical and cultural heritage to presThe project, which in some places involves re-routing of the road, will cause irreparable damage to the Sona-Giri sacred grove, the only intact sacred grove on mount Arunachala. It is home to Spotted Deer, Langur, Indian Porcupine, Jungle Cat, Small Indian Civet, Palm Civet and more. Over 70 species of birds, monitor lizards, numerous snake species and the endangered Indian Star Tortoise can be found there. This rich number and diversity of wildlife, which is already protected under longstanding Indian laws, has been put in harm?s way by the proposed Girivalam Road expansion which will also adversely affect the two sacred thirtams within the grove.

The project will also lead to the loss of a number of ancient tamarind trees that provide shade to the barefooted pilgrims who undertake the Girivalam and many Sadhus who live under them. Even if new trees are planted in their place, they will take decades to reach a similar size and stature. Already some 30 tamarind trees have been lost as a direct result of the pavement construction on the left side of the Girivalam Road in recent years.

The present route of the Arunachala Girivalam path follows one that dates back centuries. It was formally marked during Pandya times centuries ago following a route already long in existence at this time. The marker stones laid down by the king were still visible until recently. Any change in this route will be a loss of cultural and historical heritage, cherished by pilgrims around the world.

The planned expansion of the path also cuts into a number of ?Rest-a-While? parks created by the administration for the benefit of pilgrims and local wildlife. These parks provide a tranquil resting spot for those doing the 13 km Pradakshina, and enhance the protective buffer for adjacent Reserved Forest lands.

Unchecked development around the Arunachala hill has already placed extreme pressure on the forest areas and the wildlife therein.

We appeal to the relevant authorities to immediately stop all tree felling, and devise an alternative plan that will preserve the irreplaceable existing forests, avenue trees, and sacred groves; to make improvements to the pilgrimage experience by regulating the vehicular traffic thus creating a peaceful atmosphere, without the loss of forest or revenue land around the sacred hill Arunachala. Thank you. On behalf of concerned devotees"

drsundaram

• View Profile
girivalam trees saving chain

https://www.facebook.com/karunasindhu88/videos/1152031881485651/

atmavichar100

• View Profile
I have also signed the petition .I feel unless and until the entire town of Arunchala ( or at least all areas coming under Girivalam ) are declared as a Sacred Place like the way Haridwar and Rishikesh are treated ( i.e free of meat , alcohol and cutting of trees etc )  these sort of problems will continue to haunt Arunacahala .
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 01:35:14 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

drsundaram

• View Profile
Girivalam road tree cutting issue taken by green tribunal Chennai. Honourable justice Jodhi mani took this case as a sumoto case and gave stay order for tree cutting and gave the notice to the collector, polution control board, pwd, forest department this adjourn to 20 th July because of the English Hindu News this was possible.
Thanks to all friends who supported and joined hands.................. :)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
dear dr sundaram,

This is a good news.

Arunachala Siva.

Sadhak

• View Profile
Dear Dr Sundaram,

Thanks to all the efforts we got a reprieve. But remember that the Tribunal has only issued a TEMPORARY stay. We must remain vigilant. The collector has been asked to file a reply.  It is worth investigating whether it would be possible for the petitioners to meet with the tribunal.

drsundaram

• View Profile
a friend  from thiruvannamalai writes:
"Rs. 65 crore Girivalam Path expansion: the so-called "drainage ditch" with the bottom lined with mixture of cement concrete and granite gravel. According to reports in the media, a new 7 to 10 metre wide roadway will be situated to the right of the "drainage ditch". This will intrude upon all manner of lands, private and public, temple and forest, with utter disregard of the long-established sanctity of the Holy Hill as historically defined by the 14-km pradakshina road. Please look forward to the new and expanded Girivalam Path, coming soon to your neighbourhood."

National Green Tribunal, Chennai Bench, suo moto stay order till 20th July.

The insanity of bureaucrats and businessmen is mind boggling...I wonder if these people are human...how can someone not love a tree and that too those in the most sacred place of the world which keeps on giving and giving and not demanding anything from any one living....I will never understand the cause to fell