Author Topic: meditation with open eyes  (Read 2392 times)

drsundaram

• View Profile
meditation with open eyes
« on: June 10, 2016, 05:19:53 PM »
namo ramana

When we sit to meditate, if we close our eyes, what we do is that we send a signal to our mind, intellect and our physical body that sleep is coming close and that signal, in turn, induces sleep though that is the last thing we want to induce inside ourselves, while meditating.  Bhagavan  has preached that when we are likely to fall asleep to  not to go sleep but ask who is getting sleep and thereby try continue awake and pursue Vichara and thus awake . Meditation could therefore be a way to wake up and stay awake, not only physically, but in terms of being conscious and alert about what is happening internally and externally.

is it therefore good to practice with eyes open, so that during your meditation, you can become used to going beyond the physical inputs of what you see, hear, feel and smell and at the same time, remain exposed to these inputs?.[shri Bhagavan has suggested to better keep the eyes closed as out side world of objects are sure to distract the meditation/ Vichara]

By practicing with open or semi-open eyes, will it not becomes easier to train one to create the accurate state of consciousness while still being faintly aware of our surroundings. This will be essential in day to day activities when we want to stay connected to our inner peace while others around us may not necessarily be very peaceful. It will also help us to move deeply into our peaceful consciousness during conversations which at the same time, require alertness to go into the depth of ideas and concepts. When we are established in our peaceful, spiritual state (as a result of meditating), it is as if we are keeping our third eye, the eye of our intellect, open, which gives us the ability to see, in actions and interactions, what is true and false, and to make the right decisions without being influenced by others or our own emotions. All the above abilities are required many times during the day. We obviously can?t keep closing our eyes to meditate each time any of these abilities are required but given the above humble comments will a person be effective in his transactions in day to day life suppose  if keeping eyes and being in Vichara awareness become open becomes a choice.........

welcome  opinions/comments please

Sadhak

• View Profile
Re: meditation with open eyes
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 07:21:15 PM »
Dear dr,

Ultimately a self realized person lives in a state of awareness with eyes open.  To attempt this as a practice from the very beginning would likely be difficult for most people.  Even with the eyes closed the mind wanders. But if it works for somebody then it is all right.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 09:48:32 AM »
Dear Dr Sundaram,

Bhagavan never said anywhere that you should overcome sleep. That is not the aim of Self Enquiry. When the body needs sleep, one should not rebel with the needs of the body. Is Self Realisation for the Body or you? What matters if the Eyes are open or closed? Let the body take its course. If the eyes want to close let it close, if they want to be open let it be. Do not interfere with the nature of the body.

Would you like to enquire to yourself in first place why you want to meditate? Why are you meditating? What do you want? What do you really want? What is it that you are looking for? or aiming for?

These questions, genuine enquiry would open up flood gates of the grace to innundate!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

ramesh.aba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 04:07:48 PM »
Depending on mind or any kosa or part of the body to meditate is depending on the Prakrti. Any meditation including trance can operate only on the realm of Prakrti. Also, Prakrti is limited. How can we be the Unlimited using the limited?

Bhagvan Sri Ramana never depends on the Gross or subtle or casual bodies.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »
drsundaram,
Good observation!In fact this is what annamalai Swami asked Sri Bhagavan.Here is entry no.15 in Swami's diary:

ஒரு நாள் மலை ஏறும் போது ஸ்ரீ பகவானிடம் கேட்டது :
கண்மூடித் தியானிப்பதற்கும் கண்ணை மூடாமல் தியானிப்பதற்கும் என்ன வித்தியாசம் ?

ஸ்ரீ பகவான்:ரப்பர் பந்தை தூர நின்று ஒரு சுவரின் மீது அடித்தால் தன் கிட்டே வரும்.சுவரின் கிட்டப் போய் அடித்தால் எட்ட ஓடும்.அதைப்போல் கண்ணை மூடினால் மனது எங்கெல்லாமோ ஓடும்.இது பக்குவமில்லாதவர்களுக்குத் தான்.

"கண்மூடி இருக்க என்றால் பாழ்த்த கன்மங்கள் போராடுதே ."-தாயுமானவர்

The complete song of Thayumanavar ,verse 4 in paripoorananandam:

அண்டபகி ரண்டமும் மாயா விகாரமே
      அம்மாயை யில்லாமையே
   யாமெனெவும் அறிவுமுண் டப்பாலும் அறிகின்ற
      அறிவினனை யறிந்துபார்க்கின்
எண்டிசை விளக்குமொரு தெய்வஅரு ளல்லாமல்
      இல்லையெனு நினைவுஉண்டிங்(கு)
   யானென தறந்துரிய நிறைவாகி நிற்பதே
      இன்பமெனும் அன்பும்உண்டு
கண்டன எலாம்அல்ல என்றுகண் டனைசெய்து
      கருவிகர ணங்களோயக்
   கண்மூடி யொருகண மிருக்கஎன் றாற்பாழ்த்த
      கர்மங்கள் போராடுதே

பண்டையுள கர்மமே கர்த்தா வெனும்பெயர்ப்
     பக்ஷ்ம்நான் இச்சிப்பனோ
   பார்க்குமிடமெங்குமொரு நீக்கமற நிறைகின்ற
     பரிபூர ணானந்தமே. 4

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 09:16:09 AM »
Here are excerpts from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

1."There was a time when I too would meditate on God with my eyes closed.Then I said to myself: 'Does God exist only when I think of Him with my eyes closed?Doesn't He exist when I look around with my eyes open?' Now, when I look around with my eyes open, I see that God dwells in all beings. He is the Indwelling Spirit of all-men, animals and other living beings, trees and plants, sun and moon, land and water."

2."One can meditate even with eyes open. One can meditate even while talking. Take the case of a man with toothache.
TUTOR OF THE TAGORES: "Yes, sir. I know that very well." (All laugh.)
MASTER (smiling): "Yes, even when his teeth ache he does all his duties,but his mind is on the pain. Likewise one can meditate with eyes open and while talking to others as well."

3.Nitya and Lila
Regaining partial consciousness, Sri Ramakrishna said: "From the Nitya to the Lila and from the Lila to the Nitya. (To Nityagopal) What is your ideal?"
NITYAGOPAL: "Both are good."
Sri Ramakrishna closed his eyes and said: "Is it only this? Does God exist only when the eyes are closed, and cease to exist when the eyes are opened? The Lila belongs to Him to whom the Nitya belongs, and the Nitya belongs to Him to whom the Lila belongs. (To Mahima) My dear sir, let me tell you-"
MAHIMA: "Revered sir, both are according to the will of God."
MASTER: "Some people climb the seven floors of a building and cannot get down; but some climb up and then, at will, visit the lower floors.
"Uddhava said to the gopis: 'He whom you address as your Krishna dwells in all beings. It is He alone who has become the universe and its living beings.'
"Therefore I say, does a man meditate on God only when his eyes are closed? Doesn't he see anything of God when his eyes are open?"

drsundaram

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 12:38:39 PM »
thank you very much mr  ravi for all references

warm regards

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 10:06:14 PM »
find the meditator .......    :)