Author Topic: The Gridhaluru Family - S. Nilakanta Rao: Mountain Path, July - Sept. 2005:  (Read 791 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
My first darshan of Sri Bhagavan was in May 1942, when I was twenty six years old.  Though I had been
to Chidambaram several times as a student pursuing my Bachelor of Science, I had not the opportunity
to see Bhagavan in spite of my desire after I knew of the Sage in 1935.

It was only after my marriage with Rukmani, daughter of Gridhalur Satya Narayana Rao, the brother of
Sambasiva Rao from Nellore, who were great devotees of Bhagavan, that my association with Him began.
It was also I feel, by the blessings of Bhagavan that our alliance was finalized as we had no horoscope  for
me and Rukmani's family were also strong believers in astrology.

The quite arresting very first darshan of Bhagavan clearly distinguished Him from all other saints and
sadhus I had seen before.  He seemed to live apart from the physical form and was quite detached from it.
His look had a remarkable spiritual charm that absorbed the attention of all with magnetic force.  When
He spoke, the words seemed to come out of an abyss. One could see immaculate purity and non attachment.
His movements were very refined, lofty and sacred.  In His vicinity one's mental distractions were over powered by a pervasive austere and potent calmness.

The unique bliss of His was directly experienced by all, that is, there was a blissful  atmosphere around
Bhagavan.  In the ecstasy of Grace one loses one's separate individuality and there remains  something
holy and all pervading which devoured one's personality!  This indeed is the Spirit of Arunachala which
swallows up the whole Universe by its gracious effulgence.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Since the Gridhaluru family served the Asramam from December 1922, with great zeal and enthusiasm
surrendering themselves at the feet of Sri Bhagavan, my family spent all our vacation holidays every
year at the feet of Bhagavan.  The compassion and love of Bhagavan was beyond description.  I remember
vividly how my father in law  who suffered from cancer, was looked after by Sri Bhagavan.  In the last
moments of his life he suffered breathlessness.  My wife took Bhagavan by His hand and requested Him
to see her father.  Bhagavan acceded to the request and came and sat by him.  He placed His left hand
on  the head and right hand on the chest.  After a few minutes all suffering ended and he closed his
eyes peacefully. Bhagavan directed the others there no to disturb him.   That was my father in law's
end which was the most gracious blessing he could have received for the service he rendered to the
Asramam.

On another occasion, when my first son named Arunachala, died before his first birthday, we came
to Bhagavan.  He joined with us in our sorrow and later very compassionately spoke to us:
'Who is this child?  Parameswara placed him under your care and he is very fortunate that Arunachala
received him back from the chaos of the ocean of life.  Parameswara  determines  our destiny which is
changeless and unalterable.  So be in peace.'

These words opened our eyes to the reality and the philosophy of life and ever since then we received
various difficult events in our life without being perturbed and peacefully approached the inevitable
problems.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Another instance to mention will not be out of place to express our boundless pranams to Bhagavan.
In 1946, my second son Vijaya Rama Rao, was seriously ill, while at home of Sri T.N. Venkataraman,
the son of then Sarvadikari.  The ladies were afraid as they had to spend many sleepless nights in
taking care of the boy.  Early, one morning, Bhagavan's sister Smt. Alamelu Ammal presented the
baby before Bhagavan while he was coming down the Hill.  Bhagavan passed His hands over the
body of the child and remarked:  'The baby is alright.  Why are you worried?'  To the amazement
of all, the face of the baby changed and became quite bright from the  gracious touch and the look
of Bhagavan. It is ever green in our memory. The gracious anugraha of Bhagavan is ever guiding
us and protecting us even in the heart-rending situations in our life.

Another instance of Bhagavan's grace is that though I am no scholar in Telugu, I have been inspired
to write Telugu versions of Bhagavan's writings:  Arunachala Pancharatnam, Ashtakam, Navamani
Malai, Padigam, Akshara Mana Malai, Upadesa Saram, Atma Vidya, Ekatma Panchakam, Appala
Pattu and instructions for the guidance of devotees. Besides them there was also the prayer Ramana
Suprabnhatham of Bhagavan and the verses written by Pandit Narendera Kesari of Nepal  entitled
Ramana Lahari translated in simple Telugu.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
I submit that it is purely the abundant grace of Bhagavan that I was prompted to write them and present
them, thinking that service to devotees is service to the Lord.  I prostrate and offer my Pranams at the
feet of Bhagavan.  May Bhagavan bless me to do more service to the devotees.

To conclude, the features of Bhagavan are soul stirring.  Being in His Presence there arises in the mind
a powerful visualization of His splendor.  We are attracted to the supreme perfection that Bhagavan
realized and demonstrated in His life the truth of life in every seemingly small activity.  It is the divine
looks of Bhagavan that capture the devotees and draws their attention and inspires them to truly
think about 'Who am I?'.  He is the shining light of the world, and beyond.

concluded.

Arunachala Siva.