Author Topic: Living with the Master - Reminiscences - Kunju Swami. - Mountain Path - July -  (Read 5443 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Within a quarter hour of his departure, an elderly man came up huffing and puffing.
'My train, due to arrive at 8 am. came only at ten.  I have not had my bath yet nor
could I perform Sandhya Vandanam. Let me keep this bundle of mine here.  Keep an
eye on till I return from my bath.'  So saying, he went out hurriedly. Bhagavan said to
Himself, 'This person seems to be a first time visitor.  Yet his face is familiar.  People
who know me would not ask me to look after their luggage.'  Puzzled thus, He glanced at the bundle.  It contained a couple of dhotis, and a few books at top them, tied up into a bundle by means of a towel. Bhagavan felt an impulse to pick up the books and browse through.  Normally disinclined to touch or handle what belonged to others, He could not resist a compulsive feeling now to go through their contents..

He undid the bundle and glanced at the volume kept top most.  It happened to be
the Sanskrit work, Arunachala Mahatmyam. Bhagavan had till now seen only
Arunachala Puranam, its Tamizh translation.  With interest quickened, He opened
the book at random.  After copying two verses from the open page on a bit of paper,
He replaced the volume and retied the bundle. By now Palani Swami too, who had gone to fetch food, returned. Bhagavan had His meal but now He found the bundle
missing.  He inquired Palani Swami of its whereabouts, who replied that he had not seen any bundle. Nor did the old man seem to have come again after going out.
The disappearance of the bundle from within the confines of the small cell was a mystery.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
When the pundit returned at three,  Bhagavan showed him the slip on which He had
copied the two verses.  Reading them, the pundit realized that Bhagavan, in His exalted
state, transcended all ritualistic traditions and orthodox demands.  Ruling his misconceived intentions, he saluted Bhagavan and departed. On returning to his mutt
at Sringeri, he reported to Sri Narasimha Bharathi what had transpired.  The latter
expressed his disapproval and cautioned the pandit not to venture into such attempts
in future.  The two Sanskrit verses that Bhagavan had copied were rendered in Tamizh
by Him, and included in Sri Ramana Nool Thirattu.

Siva said:

'What cannot be acquired without endless pains - the true import of Vedanta -- is 
easily attained by all who can directly sight this Hill or even mentally think of it
from afar.

'I ordain that residence within a radius of three yojanas (30 miles) of this Hill
shall by itself suffice to burn off all defects and effect union with the Supreme
even in the absence of initiation.'

concluded.

Arunachala Siva.