Author Topic: The Human Gospel of Ramana Maharshi  (Read 23794 times)

Krishnan

• View Profile
Re: The Human Gospel of Ramana Maharshi
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2017, 06:05:14 PM »
Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya
----------------------------------------

Kunju Swami - XIV

I can never forget his solicitude to me. I had given Kunju Swami Chadwick's old room. He said, ―Ganesan, come and stay with me in the next room. Even though I was a grown-up and held a responsible position in the Ashram, he looked after me like I was a little child. He was so kind.

During Kunju Swami's last days, I appointed two assistants to look after him, as he experienced a lot of physical pains. These assistants did their duty very well, but sometimes they would make blunders. Kunju Swami never complained. One day I asked him, ―Kunju Swami, are they all looking after you properly? ―They are looking after me very well. In fact, today I wanted to call you and tell you that I wanted to break some good news to humanity. Puzzled at his words, I asked, ―Swami, what are you talking about? ―Do you know these muscular pains can be cured with a massage using honey? replied Kunju Swami. ―I still don't understand, Swami. ―I thought I was going to give some breakthrough news to the medical world. ―Still, Swami, I do not understand.

I learned later that there was a jar of honey kept next to the brown oil, which was to be massaged onto Kunju Swami's body to relieve his muscular pain. The assistant mistook the honey for the oil and had been massaging Kunju Swami's body with it. It obviously did not prove useful, but all Kunju Swami said was, ―I wanted to make a breakthrough, but it did not work. He used to get his point across indirectly, without complaining, despite being in so much pain.

In his last days, he was almost bedridden; he could not even sit up. Anuradha, a few others, and I would visit him and try to amuse him. We used to ask him to tell us something about Bhagavan's verses and he would come alive. Anuradha's son, Sankar, had finished school and was soon to leave for America to study medicine. He was very fond of Kunju Swami because he had almost been brought up by him. He knew that when he returned from America the next time, Kunju Swami would no longer be among us. This deeply saddened him. Kunju Swami wanted to cheer him up, while we tried to amuse him. I put a question to Kunju Swami, ―In Bhagavan's Tamil translation of Sankara's works, which song do you like? Kunju Swami steadied himself and looked at me, ―Swami, I like the song where it is said, I am the Self, I am awareness, and Anuradha likes the song where it is said, you are the Self, you are that. Whose side are you going to be on? Then he added, ―Let her sing first. The first song she sang was I am that (Hastamalaka Stottara). Then she sang Guru Stuti, which says ―You are that. I asked Kunju Swami, ―Swami, which parties do you belong to? Do you belong to I am that or you are that? Kunju Swami smiled at us, ―What is the difference between you and I? In you are that, the important word is are, not you or that. Both get merged in the are. In I am that, the important word is am not I or the that.

He passed away a few days after listening to those beautiful songs. That night he asked his attendants to remove the cushions from his wooden bed and help him sit in padmasana. ―I am going to meditate, he declared. He remained in deep meditation while his attendants slept. After two hours when they awoke and touched him, his body was cold. He had passed away, just doing Self-Enquiry. His Heart will always be in Arunachala, at the feet of the Satguru Ramana.

-------------------------------------------------------

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2017, 08:01:10 AM »

Sri Niranjanananda Swami (Chinna Swami) -I

The devotee who was instrumental in facilitating the ―struggle aspect of Self-realization was Bhagavan's own brother, Niranjanananda Swami, whom Bhagavan called ―Pichai. He came to Bhagavan in 1917 when he was up on the hill. Viswanatha Swami calls him ―one of the biggest Hearts that opened from Arunachala to reveal Bhagavan's message.

What struggle? The spiritual struggle is between the false idea that one is exclusively the body and doer, and the revelation that one is not incarnated in a mortal body. The body is simply an apparition in the boundless Heart sky. In all Hindu mythology, whenever God appeared on earth as an avatar like Rama or Krishna, on many occasions they came with brothers. In Rama and Krishna's case, it was Lakshmana and Balarama, respectively. Even saints like Jnaneshwar Maharaj and Ramakrishna Paramahamsa had brothers. Jesus had James as his brother. These brothers were important in the function of spreading virtue and goodness, and therefore played an important role in the divine drama. Likewise, Bhagavan's brother was accepted by him unconditionally. Bhagavan kept Niranjanananda Swami by his side until he realized Mahanirvana. It is important that when we look at the brothers of great saints, we see them with an unbiased mind. This is because they played a role in the broader divine plan.

Bhagavan had two brothers and one sister. The elder brother was called Nagaswami, his younger brother, Nagasundaram, and his younger sister was named Alamelu. When their father, Sundaram Iyer, passed away, the family was split up. Nagaswami and Venkataraman came to Madurai, whereas their mother, Alagammal, took Nagasundaram and Alamelu to her brother-in-law's house in another city. At the age of sixteen, Bhagavan had the ego-death experience and was called to Arunachala, Tiruvannamalai. In 1902, the family traced Bhagavan to Arunachala. Nagasundaram came to see his elder brother. As an ascetic young man at that time, Bhagavan was known as Brahmana Swami. He lived up on the hill in Sadguru Swami, a cave right below Virupaksha cave. When Nagasundaram witnessed his elder brother in ascetic attire and in total silence, he embraced him and wept. Bhagavan remained in silence, and Nagasundaram felt that he should stay with him and serve. But Bhagavan knew that Nagasundaram had many worldly commitments, and even though he offered to stay, Bhagavan did not reply. A disappointed Nagasundaram returned to his native home.

We do not have too many details about Nagasundaram's boyhood or later years. However, we do know that a series of ill-fated incidents started taking place in his life. He was married and got a job as a clerk. His eldest brother, Nagaswami, died suddenly when he was twenty years old. Within a short span, they lost everything, and their ancestral property was auctioned off. Nagasundaram lost his wife suddenly, leaving behind a little boy (my father, T. N. Venkataraman). Nagasundaram's only source of comfort was his mother, Alagammal, but she too had gone away to Arunachala to stay with Bhagavan. These incidents shocked him and drove him to a state of surrender, submission, and service. He gave up whatever he was left with, including his son, whom he left with his sister. At that time, his mother sent word to Nagasundaram to come and live with her and Bhagavan. Thus, he left for Arunachala and Bhagavan accepted him, perhaps due to his mother's influence. Mother Alagammal told her ascetic son, ―My third son Nagasundaram is not an intellectual. He is a little rough and tough and it is very hard for him to reside in the material world. You take care of him. Bhagavan obeyed her.

----------------------------------------------

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2017, 01:07:09 AM »

Sri Niranjanananda Swami (Chinna Swami) -II

Later, T. P. Ramachandra Iyer said to me that once there was an altercation in the management and Nagasundaram was involved in it. Bhagavan often muttered under his breath while going up the hill, ―What can I do? I have given her my word. Ramachandra Iyer could not understand and asked, ―Bhagavan, what are you saying? Bhagavan replied, ―When my brother came here, my mother took an assurance from me that I will not leave him and that I will protect him and keep him here with me. What can I do?

When Nagasundaram came to Skandashram, having been beaten by life's trials, he became an ascetic, too. He took to austere living and begged in the streets of Tiruvannamalai for food. By that time, Ramana Maharshi had written Who am I and Five Hymns to Arunachala. These were the prevalent books, on which many devotees meditated or sang from. Nagasundaram contemplated, studied, and lived a reclusive life. Kavyakantha Ganapati Muni had already named Brahmana Swami as Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi.

When he met Nagasundaram, Bhagavan's brother, he could see that Bhagavan was paying attention to him. He, too, therefore wanted to assist in helping him. ―Why don't you take the traditional step of taking sanyasa and donning the ochre robe? He suggested. Nayana also assigned him the name Niranjanananda Swami. The name means ―an imperishable one. Given the complicated name, everybody started calling him Chinna Swami, Junior Swami, as Bhagavan, his elder brother, was the senior Swami.

When Mother Alagammal dropped the body, Chinna Swami was among those who carried the body down the hill and brought it to the thorny, bushy place, which is now Ramanashram. With help from the others, he buried her body in the samadhi. Kavyakantha insisted that he must perform pooja for it. As was customary, a lingam was placed over her body. But while this is usually taken off after some time, they let it remain there. Kavyakantha said, ―You must perform pooja with all rituals because this is not just a tomb. It is a temple of immortality since Bhagavan has liberated your mother and she is no more an ordinary bodily person. She is at one with God.  Kavyakantha named the temple ―Matrabhuteshwara, which means ―God in the form of Mother. In this way, Chinna Swami was influenced to take to worship and stayed there doing pooja every day, while Bhagavan stayed on at Skandashram.

One day, Chinna Swami sent word to Bhagavan that he was going to make dosas the next day. It was considered a delicacy and he said he would bring it to Skandashram. Early the next morning, Chinna Swami heard a sweet voice saying ―Is there any food for an athithi? Athithi means a wayfarer or a guest. It was none other than Bhagavan's voice, identifying himself as a guest. The Mother's shrine was the nucleus for the present Ramanashram, and Bhagavan stayed there, never as the owner, but as a guest until his last day.

It was always someone else who managed the Ashram. In 1929, after Seshadri Swami passed away, some lawyers told Bhagavan that there were a lot of litigations that had to be managed. Therefore, they advised that someone should be officially appointed as the sole manager of the Ashram. Everyone wanted Nayana to don this mantle but Bhagavan turned to Nayana and said, ―It seems Pichai wants to do this. Let him become the manager and take the burden on himself. Kavyakantha told all his devotees, ―It is Bhagavan's injunction and we should support it. From that day on Kavyakantha's disciples always supported Chinna Swami in his role as manager. In 1930, Bhagavan was asked to execute a will, which stated that the family of Niranjanananda Swami would manage the material aspects of the Ashram and that it would not have any spiritual successor to Bhagavan.

---------------------------------------

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2017, 06:08:40 AM »
--------------------------------------

Sri Niranjanananda Swami (Chinna Swami) -III

Chinna Swami was austere, strict, efficient, and an unrelenting disciplinarian. By 1938, he needed assistance in the Ashram. He sent word to his son, my father, and the whole family to join him. I was two years old when my father brought me to Ramanashram. Chinna Swami was just as strict with his son, my father. He never favored him--so much so, that my father was disappointed with him. Similarly, Chinna Swami rubbed many people the wrong way with his blunt manner, but, as many devotees say, those stories must be looked at impartially and in context.

It is important that we see both sides of the character of this man. It is to be noticed that the records of all those who were offended by Chinna Swami's disciplinary action and complained, conveniently omitted their last sentences.

I actually interviewed these complainants, including Muruganar, Ramaswami Pillai, Chadwick, Viswanatha Swami, Annamalai Swami, Kunju Swami, Devaraja Mudaliar, Suri Nagamma, and Munagala Venkataramaia among the long list of Chinna Swami's victims. They unanimously agreed, ―Chinna Swami's harshness did affect us and at that moment our egos were deeply hurt. There is no doubt about it. But in later years we understood that it was divine providence and that unless he had treated us like that, we would have continued to be immersed in management activities and would not have pursued our spiritual aspiration.

Muruganar also told me, ―Chinna Swami repeatedly slighted me and even refused me food at the Ashram. I had to go out on the streets and beg for my food. The reason for Chinna Swami's refusal was that he wanted me to continue performing pooja in the Mother's shrine and also assist him with the correspondence in the office. I did not do that, so I had to leave. But Ganesan, I assure you that my going away granted me two spiritual boons. Now I tell you honestly, but for Chinna Swami, I might have still been doing pooja in Ramanashram even today and assisting in writing letters. ―What are those two boons? I asked him. ―I could get the proximity and presence of Bhagavan at any time, day and night. Had I been committed to management work, I could not have had that. The second boon was that I was so ecstatic, that I wanted to write poems. I wrote forty thousand verses on Bhagavan and Bhagavan's teaching. These were written in silence and seclusion. With external activity this might not have happened. Chinna Swami was a vital instrument in my gaining these two boons.

One of the kitchen assistants told me that Chinna Swami was used by Bhagavan as a washerman's stone only to clear the devotees' ―dirt, their vasanas, and cause them to devote all their attention to spiritual sadhana. To fulfill this role, Chinna Swami perpetually received a dreadful reputation.

Balarama Reddiar told me, ―Though there were seemingly shortcomings in Chinna Swami's management, it is a fact witnessed by me repeatedly, that Bhagavan supported him. When I once complained to Bhagavan about Chinna Swami, he instantly corrected me, and I steadily stood by that correction all my life at the Ashram. Bhagavan curtly asked me, ―Have you come all this way to sort out lapses in the Ashram management? Attend to the business, for which you came. Find out whom from inside raises these complaints. Leave the rest to the Higher Power. Be still.

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2017, 09:06:58 AM »
-------------------------------------------

Sri Niranjanananda Swami (Chinna Swami) -IV

Viswanatha Swami explained to me why all the senior devotees went to Palakothu. He was saying, ―We do that so that we may pursue our sadhana. Bhagavan approved of that. He would ask us, ―In which way you are going to build your hut? And also Bhagavan would suggest to us, ―Go to these streets to beg. That enabled us to be with Bhagavan all the rest of the time. What we are today was possible because of our coming away from the institution. Bhagavan approved of it. Viswanatha Swami was the worst affected. Once he was ill and without food for three days. Coming to know of it, Santamma took him to the dining hall, through the kitchen, and made him sit on the first row, from where Bhagavan was quite visible. Food was served, and when all were about to eat, Chinna Swami came, pulled Viswanatha Swami by the hand and sent him out.

Bhagavan was witnessing all this and did not say anything nor object to it. However, it was Viswanatha Swami who assisted Chinna Swami in his last days, when Chinna Swami was bedridden. Surprised, I asked him, ―How could you do that after being so deeply hurt and insulted? He replied, ―When I was in Dindigul, Bhagavan appeared to me in a dream and asked me to come to Ramanashram. I immediately left for the Ashram. It was 1952, and Bhagavan had already dropped his body. I had no idea why Bhagavan asked me to come. Chinna Swami was terminally ill, and there was nobody to attend him. I felt that this was the purpose for which Bhagavan had asked me to come. I waited on him day and night, nursing and bathing him. One day Chinna Swami held my hands and asked for forgiveness. Chinna Swami spent his last two days looking at Bhagavan's picture, all the time chanting ―Ramana, Ramana. At the time of his death, he stretched out his arms with his eyes closed, his face serene, happy, and luminous. Viswanatha Swami said, ―Bhagavan has absorbed him in the Heart Sky of Arunachala.

In 1966, I was given the sole responsibility of completing the construction of Sri Bhagavan's Samadhi Shrine. Suddenly, there erupted many problems obstructing its completion. Almost insoluble situations were encountered. I was deeply worried. One day, Mrs. Teleyarkhan patted me on my back and asked, ―Why are you worried, Ganesan? She also said that all these problems could be solved. Pleasantly surprised, I asked her, ―How? She replied, ―Last night, Sri Bhagavan appeared to me in a dream and commanded me: Go. Tell Ganesan to take up the construction of Chinna Swami's Samadhi also, simultaneously. Everything will be all right. I was thrilled!
The fact was that Chinna Swami's Samadhi construction was ignored and left uncared for. I arranged for taking up the proper construction of the Samadhi building of Chinna Swami, along with that of Sri Bhagavan. The completion of both Sri Bhagavan's and Chinna Swami's samadhis was successfully carried out. The consecration ceremony, Kumbhabhishekam, was performed in 1967, to all the three Shrines of the Mother, Sri Bhagavan, and Chinna Swami.

I will record here, in this connection, another absorbingly interesting incident. When completed, I felt Chinna Swami's Samadhi should have a tablet. The stone tablet could not be done locally and would have to be engraved in Bangalore. I wrote the inscription for the stone tablet in English: Sri Niranjanananda Swami, Date of Death: 29-01-1953. When I received the engraved tablet, I was surprised and thrilled! It read:

Sri Niranjanananda Swami Absorbed in Arunachala 29--01--1953

Let us pay our homage by quoting the holy words of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi adoring his Heart-guru Arunachala:
Oh! Arunachala, in you the picture of the universe is formed, has its stay and is dissolved. This is the sublime Truth. You are the inner Self who dances in the Heart as I-I. Oh! Lord, Heart is your name.
------------------------------------------------------------

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2017, 04:05:39 AM »

Narayana Guru

There is a profound beauty in the sequence of how things openly unfolded so gracefully in Bhagavan's presence. This was an obvious divine play that unraveled itself gracefully. By participating in it, we realize that it is not merely external. This pattern begins to enjoin us too. This is the beauty of being in satsang with a sage or learning about their life. It brings one's attention back to the here and now.
Bhagavan stayed at Skandashram, higher up on the hill, between 1916 and 1922, during which time serious spiritual aspirants slowly started streaming in. It was in this period that Bhagavan, with a single glance of grace (Darshan), was able to establish each one in Arunachala, the spiritual Heart. During this time there lived a saint in Kerala called Narayana Guru, who was so renowned that even Mahatma Gandhi thought it a privilege to spend a few moments with him. This sage rarely went anywhere. In fact, other saints came to him to pay respects. Yet he visited Bhagavan at Skandashram along with his disciples, where Bhagavan cordially received him and invited him to share lunch. Narayana Guru replied gladly, ―Oh yes! I will share the Maharshi's Prasad.

Bhagavan then bestowed his glance of grace on Narayana Guru, and for a long time they both sat and shared ecstatic silence. When it was time for him to leave, Narayana Guru, absorbed in Bhagavan's state of sahaja Samadhi, prayed to him, ―Let this state be bestowed on me also. Bhagavan graciously granted this wish. Right there, he wrote five verses in Sanskrit extolling the state of the Sahaja Nishta. When he went back to Kerala, he was so captivated with Bhagavan that he wrote another five verses?the first was called Nirvriti Panchakam, and the second, Municharya Panchakam.

When descending the hill along with his disciples, Narayana Guru was in ecstasy. He turned to his disciples and declared joyfully, ―Maharshi is a raja sarpam, a king cobra. In the Hindu religious and spiritual parlance, saints are often referred to as sarpam or cobras. Narayana Guru, a saint himself, did not categorize Bhagavan as yet another cobra; instead he gave Bhagavan the exalted status of ―king cobra. This Truth emanated from his Heart. He summoned two of his disciples, one a wealthy man and the other an erudite scholar, and said these beautiful words:

―Maharshi's spiritual state is such that even a single glance from him is enough to liberate anyone. Now he remains unknown to the world, like a lamp hidden in a pot. He should be recognized, so that this spiritual treasure is plundered by many aspirants. You both should stay here for six months and make necessary arrangements for food and accommodation for visiting pilgrims, thus letting many visit the Maharshi every day and benefit spiritually. Allow Maharshi's awakening to be known in the circles of scholars and earnest aspirants by going to them and speaking about the awakening.

On his return, Narayana Guru fell ill, and coming to know of that, Bhagavan sent Kunju Swami with a lemon, saying, ―Go and give this to him. Narayana Guru received it gratefully, put it on his eyes, head, and chest, and was in tears that Bhagavan had sent this Prasad for him. Whenever he had a visitor from Tamil Nadu, he would ask, ―Have you had Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi's Darshan? If the answer was no, he would raise his voice and say, ―Why did you come here? You must go back and have Darshan there. He is the raja sarpam, king cobra. We are all ordinary snakes. Why did you come, leaving the raja sarpam? Bhagavan offered Kunju Swami not only the lemon, but knowing that Narayana Guru was to attain mahasamadhi, he also gave instructions about how Narayana Guru's body should be preserved. Narayana Guru was a jnani, a realized saint, and Bhagavan wanted his tomb to be built accordingly. Kunju Swami was to give Bhagavan a report on whether the Samadhi was built satisfactorily. When the news of Narayana Guru's death reached Bhagavan, he said, ―Narayana Guru is a purna, a fully blossomed one.

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2017, 11:42:34 PM »

B. V. Narasimha Swami - I

B. V. Narasimha Swami wrote Self-realization and The Life and Teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi. This was the first book on Bhagavan's life, and B. V. Narasimha Swami was unique because he was the first person to dedicate himself to write Bhagavan's biography in English. He gathered information that ran into two thousand pages and skillfully cut it down to a concise and readable form, spanning two hundred and fifty pages. It was published in 1930. It was after reading Self-realization, The Life and Teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi that Paul Brunton, Bhikshu Prabhavananda, Swami Madhava Thirtha, Suddhananda Bharati, Swami Shivananda, Swami Ramdas, and an array of spiritual giants of their time recognized Ramana Maharshi and came to him. Many give the credit of Bhagavan's widespread recognition to Paul Brunton, but they do not know that it was this book that drew Brunton to Bhagavan.
B. V. Narasimha Swami was a brilliant lawyer in Salem, ninety miles from Arunachala. He was a very famous politician, a great orator, and writer with a razor-sharp intellect that drove straight into the heart of a subject and extracted its Truth. It is thanks to his questioning mind that we now have this brilliant book, which attracted an audience of communicators. This select group of communicators was and is a modern gateway for Advaita Vedanta in the west.

God's divine play (leela), however, is unpredictable and a Mystery. When he was at the zenith of prosperity, name and fame, a massive family tragedy furnished a rude shock. His two grown-up children drowned in the well in his very own yard, right before his eyes. All he could do was watch helplessly, without being able to save them. Unable to bear his grief, he resigned from the War Council and gave up his political career. He disappointed many leaders in India, because the presence of talented individuals like him was needed for India's freedom struggle. He came to know of Ramana Maharshi and headed straight to Ramanashram. On seeing Bhagavan, he fell at his feet. With a single glance, Bhagavan accepted him, directed him to a cave, and asked him to meditate.

As a good disciple, he unquestioningly abided by his Master's instruction. He spent three years in seclusion, in complete contemplation and meditation. However, he realized that there was something which was drastically needed: a book on Bhagavan's life, which nobody knew of. ―I must bring out the biography of Bhagavan, a living sage. Nobody knows about his life except through rare accounts, which may even be factually incorrect. His incisive intellect was to deliver the Truth correctly to the world. This was a demanding responsibility, because even though he had not vowed silence, Bhagavan did not talk much, and even more rarely about himself.

B. V. Narasimha Swami sought Bhagavan's permission and Bhagavan graciously consented. He started the process of asking Bhagavan questions. Bhagavan did not always respond because sometimes he did not feel like talking. However, B. V. Narasimha Swami was persistent. He doggedly followed Bhagavan wherever he went; even slept next to Bhagavan at night. Whenever he asked a question, his whole attention would be focused on receiving an answer. He has recorded, that sometimes it would take days, a week, or even more, to get one simple answer from Bhagavan. But he remained relentless. His persistent determination is what made him unique, and that is why even the mention of his name draws so much reverence from every old devotee of Bhagavan.

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2017, 01:46:41 AM »

B. V. Narasimha Swami - II

He not only questioned Bhagavan?it was his nature to elicit details straight from the source. Therefore he traveled to Tiruchuzhi, Madurai, and Dindigul to speak to Bhagavan's associates and kin. Whenever he received any information about Bhagavan's relative or friend in some village, he would go there immediately. He would pry them with questions too; however, perfectionist that he was, he would verify every fact with Bhagavan. Therefore, everything written in the book is accurate and the Truth.

One of the most important things that old devotees told me was that we owe the vivid account of Bhagavan's ego-death experience at Madurai to B. V. Narasimha Swami. His incessant questioning drew from Bhagavan every minute detail of the experience, when he was a sixteen-year-old boy. Bhagavan said there was no time and space in his transformation, which made him a sage of steady wisdom. B. V. Narasimha Swami condensed these details and presented the final draft to Bhagavan, who approved it and titled the book, Self-realization.

Once this was done, Narasimha Swami put up a hut next to his cave for cooking. He wanted other sadhakas to build similar huts, and helped them. He also trained them in a simple way of cooking to save them time and money, which allowed each sadhu to spend the maximum time in Bhagavan's presence. Through his meticulous sadhana, he set an example of how the Master's teaching was followed. It was he who formed the nearby Palakothu community.

When this was over, he developed a natural tendency, a vasana, toward singing bhajans and dancing emotionally for God. He kept pleading with Bhagavan, ―Bhagavan, this is my nature. Will you please guide me? I would like to sing bhajans and follow the devotional path. Bhagavan kept postponing his reply, but he did not give in. Finally, Bhagavan advised him, ―Go toward the north-west of India to pursue your path of devotion. B. V. Narasimha Swami left Arunachala and went toward Bombay, in the west. During his travels he met many saints on the devotional path but was totally disappointed with all of them. Even a great sage like Upasani Baba tried to help him, but he was not satisfied. However, it was Upasani Baba who finally told him to go to Shirdi.

He obeyed and went to the tomb of Shirdi Sai Baba who had passed away ten years earlier. At night (and this is done to this day), devotees gather to sing bhajans with devotion. When he stood in front of Sai Baba's Samadhi, the saint's inspiration came to him from within, ―Child, I am your guru. Stay here and write my biography. Therefore, he started meeting those people who lived with Sai Baba and compiled a six-volume biography of the celebrated sage. On its completion, Baba told him, ―Spread my name and spread this teaching. He then came to Madras and started a Sai Baba center. He built a temple there and Shirdi Sai Baba's name was spread by B. V. Narasimha Swami all over India.

When I came to Ramanashram in 1960, I was pained to hear that such a remarkable man had left Bhagavan and gone somewhere else. One day I asked T. P. Ramachandra Iyer, another old devotee, ―Why did Narasimha Swami leave Bhagavan and go elsewhere? T. P. Ramachandra Iyer replied, ―I am happy you put this question to me because I was hesitating to share with others a fact I know. In late 1955 or early 1956, T. P. Ramachandra Iyer boarded the train in Tiruvannamalai to go to Vellore in the first class compartment on Ashram work. He was surprised to find B. V. Narasimha Swami, too, seated in the first class compartment, with a broken leg in a huge bandage. Like every old devotee who held B. V. Narasimha Swami in the highest esteem, he was thrilled to see him.

―I raised the same question before B. V. Narasimha Swami that you put to me, Ganesan. I asked him, Why did you leave Bhagavan and go? T. P. Ramachandra Iyer revealed what B. V. Narasimha Swami told him, Bhagavan specifically directed me to do so. When we both were alone, I was pestering him as usual that my intention is to sing bhajans. Taking pity on me, he said, Go to Shirdi. He told me in unmistakable terms that I should bring out the biography of Shirdi Sai Baba. He added that I should make Sai Baba known all over India. It was Bhagavan who said this, so I agreed. It was Bhagavan's graciousness and compassion that he wanted such aspirations of mine to be shuttled through another saint, instead of getting involved in mere display of emotional dancing and singing.

---------------------------------------------

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2017, 02:56:13 AM »

B. V. Narasimha Swami - III

I did not go straight to Shirdi, though Bhagavan asked me to go, he added. ―I admit my folly in not truly obeying Bhagavan's commandment. I went to other living saints, strongly questioning how Sai Baba could guide me, now that he was dead. This is the mind coming into play. All my efforts to be with the living saints in due course deeply disappointed me. Finally, it was at Shirdi that Sai Baba revealed himself as my guru, took me into his fold, blessed me with grace, and guided me to the Truth. For directing me to Sai Baba, I am eternally grateful to Bhagavan. I did not reveal this Truth of being guided by Bhagavan to go to Sai Baba, as I felt people would not understand the spiritual content of the entire episode. This is the Truth. T. P. Ramachandra Iyer recounted that there were tears in his eyes.

Even when I was in college, I would visit the Sai Baba shrine, because behind it was B. V. Narasimha Swami's shrine. Pooja is offered there, and even now, above it hangs a big picture of Bhagavan. Since it was Bhagavan who directed B. V. Narasimha Swami to go to Sai Baba, I would prostrate before Sai Baba's shrine, receive his blessings, and then prostrate before B. V. Narasimha Swami, who was so instrumental in initiating Bhagavan's message to the world.
--------------------------------------------------