Author Topic: The Ribhu Gita -Dr.Lingeswara Rao and Anil Sharma translations:  (Read 31004 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: The Ribhu Gita -Dr.Lingeswara Rao and Anil Sharma translations:
« Reply #240 on: February 16, 2017, 01:36:11 PM »
31. That in which there is no expression through the mind, wherein there is no contradiction, wherein there is no experience of sorrow, - be ever full of That.

32. That in which fear of sin, or the five sins not in the least existent, wherein there is
no defect of attachment - be ever full of That.

33.  That in which the triad of afflictions is naught, wherein the triad of individual consciousness is naught, wherein the universe is said to be unreal - be ever full of That.

34.  That in which there is no generation of knowledge, wherein the triad of individual
consciousness is naught, wherein the universe is said to be unreal - be ever full of That.

35.  That in which there is no dominion of the mind, wherein lies supreme happiness, verily wherein is the state of permanence - be ever full of That.

36.  That in which is the cause of peace, verily wherein is all round happiness, attaining which there is no return - be ever full of That.

37. By realizing which everything is released, by realizing which nothing is left to be known, realizing which there is no other knowledge - be ever full of That.

38.  That in which defect does not arise, wherein is the motionless state, wherein alone the individual is indeed is destroyed - be ever full of That.

39. That in which the Self eternally satisfied, wherein is unruffled bliss, wherein is unruffled peace,  - be ever full of That.

40. That in which is the all round bliss, wherein indeed is the Being realized, wherein
indeed is the embodiment of certitude - be ever full of That.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 17, 2017, 10:27:02 AM »
41.  That in which I am not, wherein you are not, wherein you yourself are not yourself,
wherein is the peace of certitude -- be ever full of That.

42.  That in which one rejoices eternally, wherein joy flourishes, wherein there is no fear of sorrow - be ever full of That.

43.  That in which is the embodiment of consciousness, wherein indeed is the ocean of bliss, wherein the supreme is directly realized - be ever full of That.

44. That in which is indeed oneself, wherein oneself is verily That, indeed, wherein that which is referred to as one's Self is naught - be ever full of That.

45. That in which there is the bliss of transcendence, wherein oneself is the supreme joy; wherein indeed is the expression of non-difference - be ever full of That.

46.  That in which there is not even an atom, wherein there is no blemish of the mind
and wherein there is no such thing as 'I give'-- be ever full of That.

47.  That in which the mind stuff is dead, one's body and mind have deceased, wherein the memory has undergone dissolution - be ever full of That.

48. That in which the mind stuff is dead, one's body and mind have deceased, wherein the memory has undergone dissolution - be ever full of That.

49.  That in which the trinity of gods have merged, wherein the body etc., are dead,
wherein there is no activity - be ever full of That.

50.  Merging in which there is no exhaustion, merging in which one does not see,
merging in which there are no birth etc., - be ever full of That.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 18, 2017, 01:30:53 PM »
51.  Merging in which reflection ceases to be, wherein waking is unknown, wherein delusion is indeed dead - be ever full of That.

52.  That in which, indeed, time suffers death, wherein yoga undergoes dissolution,
wherein indeed the resolve of right association ceases - be ever full of That.

53. That in which indeed is the form of Brahman, wherein indeed is bliss alone,
wherein indeed is supreme bliss - be ever full of That.

54.  That in which the universe does not exist in the least, wherein there is no world,
wherein the inner faculties do not exist - be ever full of That.

55.  That in which joy alone is, wherein bliss alone is, wherein indeed is supreme
bliss - be ever full of That.

56. That in which only consciousness of Being exists, wherein there is just consciousness alone, wherein shines the fullness of bliss - be ever full of That.

57.  That in which the supreme Brahman is directly present, wherein the Oneself is the verily supreme, wherein peace is the supreme goal - be ever full of That.   

58.  That in which is the significance of the undivided, wherein evidently lies the support, wherein destruction etc., are non existent - be ever full of That.

59. That in which oneself alone is, wherein oneself is verily the victory, wherein evidently is the great Self - be ever full of That.

60.  That in which is the supreme truth, wherein oneself is verily greatness, wherein lies direct knowledge -- be ever full of That.\

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 19, 2017, 01:52:05 PM »
61. That in which the transcendence of qualities is evident;  indeed, wherein evidently
is blemishlessness, wherein evidently is eternal purity - be ever full of That.

62.  Wherein directly is the supreme Self, wherein directly is the joy of joys, wherein
indeed is knowledge and wisdom - be ever full of That.

63. Wherein indeed oneself is the Light, wherein indeed oneself is without a second,
wherein indeed lies the supreme bliss - be ever full of That.

64.  Thus the practice of being 'full of That' has been enunciated.  Practice this alone
ever and ever- Brahman am I, Existence Consciousness Bliss. Undivided am I, ever joyous.

65. I am wisdom that is Brahman alone.  I am He, the serene and the supreme.
I am Consciousness devoid of mind stuff.  'I' am not. I am resolved as He.

66.  I am That.  I am Consciousness. I am He. I am blemishless.  I am supreme.
I am the highest. I am verily the supreme. Divested thus pf everything, be happy.

67. All this residue of mind stuff spoils purity. Divested of all this, having forgotten
everything as mere dead wood.

68.  Renouncing the corpse like body, remaining ever as a log or a piece of metal,
casting aside remembrance too, abide in Brahman alone as the support.

69. One who listens to this explanation even once perhaps, even if one should be associated with great sins, is freed from all, and reaches me the Most High.

70.  Though shining in diverse forms you are unattached to them, so the Vedas proclaim. Though firmly associated in the heart cavern of all beings, you are the
undivided Ground, the Self.

Thus concludes chapter 29 entitled 'Topic of the teaching of being full of That' in
the sixth amsa called Sankara of Siva Rahasyam.

concluded.

Arunachala Siva.                           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 20, 2017, 10:16:48 AM »
Chapter 30:

1. Ribhu: I shall speak about the supreme that is Brahman, along with the renunciation
of the world. By one who hears it even once the supreme Brahman is attained.

2. Brahman is supported by Brahman alone, attributeless, ever blemishless, permanent,
poised and absolute.  There is nothing apart from Brahman.

3. I am truth - the joy of beyond, pure, eternal, and taintless.  All is, indeed, only Brahman. That Brahman am I. There is no doubt of this.

4. I am the singular undivided essence, ever perfect in every way.  Brahman is everything, nothing else is. All is Brahman.  There is no doubt of this.

5. I am the unitary self always.  All is eternally Brahman.  I am of the form of bliss alone.  Nothing else is permanent. 

6. I am of the nature of pure bliss.  I am the pure wisdom of the self.  I am of a uniform nature.  I am not bereft of the unitary existence.

7. I am of the pure internal knowledge. I alone am the refuge. All is indeed only Brahman.  There is no doubt of this.  I am that Brahman. Of this there can be no doubt.

8.I am devoid of multiple themes. Oneness too does not exist. All is indeed, Brahman.
There is no doubt of this.  I am that Brahman.  Of this there can be no question.

9. I am of all possible forms, devoid of even the term 'all'.  All is indeed, Brahman.
There is no doubt of this.  I am that Brahman. Of this there can be no question.

10.  I am of the form of blemishless knowledge. Even 'I' does not exist. I am of the nature of the pure Brahman, bereft of the word 'pure'.     

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 21, 2017, 11:38:48 AM »
11.  I am of the nature of eternal joy.  I am ever the bliss of knowledge. I am more subtle than the subtlest, devoid of the expression 'subtle' etc.,

12. I am just the undivided bliss, the embodiment of undivided bliss. I am ever of the immortal nature, ever the embodiment of the unitary.

13.  This is the bliss of Brahman.  All of this never exists, never.  I am devoid of the nature of the individual self. I am devoid of the nature of Isvara, the universal Being.

14, 15:  I am the embodiment of the Vedas and Sastras.  I am the cause of the remembrance of the scriptures.  I am the cause and effect of the world and of the trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Maheswara; the distinctions of speech and subject matter, the agency of gross, subtle and causal bodies, the states of waking, dream and sleep, and the primal beings thereof -- prajna, taijas and visva.

16. I am the nature of all the sacred texts. I am ever the total bliss, transcending
all forms of imagination.

17. Duality and non duality, joy and sorrow, profit and loss, victory and defeat -- all are Brahman.  There is no doubt of this.  I am that Brahman. Of this there is no  uncertainty. 

18,19:  The differences of the qualities sattva (serenity) and rajas (oscillation), doubt,
the fruits of desires in the heart, the seer, the seen, the total seer, the elements, beings and divinities -- all are Brahman. There is no doubt of this,  I am that Brahman. Of this there is no uncertainty.  I am verily the form of Turiya, the Forth
state. I am ever the form of Knowledge.

20, Ignorance too is, indeed, naught and that where from its activity arises. All is Brahman. There is no doubt of this. I am that Brahman.   Of this there is no uncertainty.

contd.

Arunachala Siva.                   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 22, 2017, 01:01:06 PM »
21. The sport of mental mode and even the intellect are non existent. I am without
the idea of the body, the intellectual resolve or imagination.

22. All are Brahman.  There is no doubt of this.  I am that Brahman. Of this there is no uncertainty. I am of the form of the certitude of intellect.  Oho, even this certainty goes.

23.  The diverse ways of egoism, the I am the body notion, all are Brahman.  There is no uncertainty of this.  I am that Brahman. There is no uncertainty of this.

24.  I am Brahman. Even at that, I am the blind. I am the deaf and I am the supreme.
All is Brahman.  There is no doubt of this. I am that Brahman.  There is no uncertainty
of this.

25.  The awareness 'I am the body' is the unification of the body and the supreme self. All is Brahman.  There is no doubt if this. I am that Brahman, there is no uncertainty of this.

26.  The awareness 'I am all', is the unification of all with the supreme self - achieve this disposition with endeavor, 'Brahman, indeed, am I - O Lord.'

27. Such is the firm certitude.  True. True. I am the supreme. That firm conviction results from the certitude on the Guru's utterances.

28.  Abide, ever established as the supreme in the sovereign state of strong conviction. I am indeed the supreme Brahman, the illuminator of the bliss of the self.

29, 30: Being Siva, where is worship of Siva for me?  Being Vishnu, where is the propitiation of Vishnu for me?  What little is comprehended, whatever certainty achieved anywhere;  'That indeed are thou'.  'Thou art indeed I' - nothing of this sort in the least.  This mind stuff and that which is seen - none of this exists indeed.

31.  Even if concepts of real and unreal should remain, distinctions such as 'this' and 'that' do not shine.  All of is not of any joyous nature.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 23, 2017, 11:02:56 AM »
32. Many differences, a rare difference, total differences do not exist.  Brahman is bliss.
There is no doubt of this.  That Brahman am I.  There is no uncertainty about this.

33. The distinction such as Brahman, the distinctions such as the fourth state, difference such as the individual self, the cause of non distinction -- none of these has arisen, none of these, ever.

34.  The indication 'he is God' never, never indeed is.  If it were so, it can be expressed. As it does not, how can it be expressed?

35. In me there is never anything in the least such as 'the supreme', 'the extraordinary'. Vacillation and indeed the mind are non existent, verily non existent.
There is no doubt of this.

36. Be ever fulfilled thus alone and abiding without desire and with intellect subsided never even thinking 'I am Brahman, the all I am perfection.'

37.  'I am bliss. I am the choicest. I am Brahman' -- none of these exist ever.  Nor. 'I am the bliss of Brahman, the great bliss of the Self.'

38.  The great destroyer is never existent. The expression 'This is all', the misunderstanding 'This is not bliss' do not exist.

39.  All is Brahman. There is no doubt of this. That Brahman am I.  There is no doubt
of this.  The concepts of the ideal and its traits, the triad of seer, seen and seeing are completely non existent.

40. Endless non experience and many experiences, all are Brahman.  There is no doubt of this.  I am that Brahman, without doubt.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 24, 2017, 10:40:36 AM »
41.  The confidential, the mantra, the quality, the scripture, the truth, he ear, the body,
death, birth, effect, cause, the sanctified, the auspicious,

42. lust and anger, covetousness and delusion, pride, jealousy, the defect of duality,
fear, sorrow -- all are indeed non existent, always.

43. 'This' is verily naught, indeed naught. All pleasures are non existent. The reflection
'this is Brahman', the contemplation 'I am Brahman',

44. The reflection 'I am Brahman', the knowledge 'you are Brahman, the imperishable', the reality of Brahman is wisdom.  The concept of the unreal can never cause any affliction.

45.  The self is verily supreme, the one and the only. Being one is to be devoid of burden.  All is Brahman, always Brahman.  That Brahman am I.  There is no doubt of this.

46.  The form of the individual self the concept of individual self and the words 'the individual self' - the triad of these are naught.  The form of Isvara, the universal self,
the concept of Isvara, the word Isvara - are but fanciful.

47.  There are no letters, nor the entire, no word, nothing said, nor any subject; not even an iota of the heart, mantra, tantra, mind or intellect.

48. There is none who is dull, wise, with discrimination or even pure.  Determination, tara the Pranava (Omkara), this Self, Guru and disciple,

49. quiescence, stillness, supreme tranquility, silence, or the concept of silence, the radiating, the discrimination between the self and the non self,

50.  the yoga of meditation, the Raja Yoga, the eight limbed Yoga, -- all are Brahman.
There is no doubt of this.  That Brahman am I.  There is no uncertainty about this.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2017, 01:30:31 PM »
51.  The discussion on existence, the discussion relating to non existence, the self of the form of the fifty letters, the self of sixty four arts -

52.  all are Brahman.  There is no doubt of this.  I am that Brahman.  There is no uncertainty about this.  Brahman alone am I, the serene self.  Brahman alone am I, the inexhaustible consciousness.

53.  I am removed from the scholarship of the scriptures; aloof to the wisdom of the Vedas.  All that is uttered is the supreme Brahman.  There cannot be an iota of doubt about this. 

54. Brahman indeed am I. There is no doubt of this.  That Brahman am I. There is no uncertainty about this. Brahman alone am I, the serene self. Brahman indeed am I,
the  non diminishing awareness.

55. Such is Brahman which is just 'That'. Because of that, this becomes adorable to you.  'All is Brahman.  There is no doubt about this' -  the mortal who always realizes thus, who hears this regularly, becomes verily consciousness and blemish free.

56.  The multifarious transformations of the world, though parts of one whole such as the limbs of the body, can cause disturbance by generating endless doubts.  Those who do not soil their hearts by transcending this delusion attain liberation from body by the gracious glance of Siva.

Thus concludes chapter 30 entitled 'The topic of the demonstration of the unitary nature of Brahman' in the sixth amsa called Sankara of Sri Siva Rahasyam.

concluded.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 26, 2017, 11:26:36 AM »
Chapter 31:

1. Ribhu: I shall tell you the most confidential matter which directly illumines one about
Brahman.  It is the core of all the Upanishads, hard to obtain in all worlds.

2. 'Prajnanam Brahma' (the immanent awareness is Brahman). Active certitude in the utterance which is a compound of two words. It is one of the four great aphorisms present in the Vedas such as Rik, Yajur, and Sama.

3. My awareness alone is Brahman. Brahman am I. This world is only knowledge.  The whole world is indeed knowledge. Nothing else there is, other than knowledge.

4. After the attainment of knowledge everything is seen as the form of knowledge. What is the wisdom and of Brahman is verily my own, not different.

5. The import of prajnana is the individual self and that of Brahman is Isvara, the Lord.  Their union is the undivided meaning, the one undivided all pervasive essence.

6. Being in the undivided nature is referred to as Jivan Mukti - the state of liberation while living.  Reality is the one undivided essence.  The divestment of body is called Liberation.

7.  Brahman alone am I, not of the cycle of birth and death.  I am Existence Consciousness Bliss. I am attribute-less. I am part-less. I am supremely blissful.

8.  I am eternal. I am without wavering. I am consciousness.  I am Consciousness, always, The mind which abides in Brahman as the self is defined as being in the undivided mode.

9.  As salt in water becomes indivisibly one with it, so is the one undivided Essence, I shall describe the features of liberation out of the body.

10. forsaking the word Prajna, and indeed the word Brahman, leave out the expressions 'I am', 'I am the great', 'I am the accomplished';

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2017, 02:42:11 PM »
11. renouncing remonstrance too, and thoughts created by the mind stuff, leaving aside everything within and being in a state of total void;

12. forsaking even the quiescent state and the oscillating silence thereby, the mind stuff -a feature of contrasting thoughts, and the world fancied by the mind;

13.  forsaking the 'I am the body' egoism referred to as the duality mode, 'I am the all witnessing Brahman' - such alone is the firm determination.

14, 15, and 16: Brahman is ever the doubtless - this is the witness mode. The duality
mode, and the undivided mode, which is the one undivided essence - thus, there are three modes in vogue in the world. The first is a rootedness in duality, the second is the doubt of the witness mode; the third is said to be firm certitude. Investigating the significance of the three modes and casting them aside, become settled.

17.  Abiding in the nature of the one undivided essence, always revel being full of that.  This is the instructions for practice, always the basis for practice.

18. Just as the sandalwood tree is tested, so is the supreme utterance, for reflection.
The three word sentence (Aham Brahmasmi - I am Brahman) exemplified, is to be
meditated upon subjecting It to reasoning.

19.  The import of the word aham (I) is the individual self - The word Brahman denotes Isvara, the Lord. The word asmi (am) symbolizes the state of the nature of being undivided.

20.  Inquiring with the mind, renounce the triad of words and attain the state of the one undivided essence.  This is the characteristic of liberation without the body.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 28, 2017, 12:50:57 PM »
22. I am Brahman. I am eternal.  I am peaceful. I am the supreme.  I am without qualities.  I am without desire. I am without parts -  this should always be remembered.

23. I am the Self.  There is no doubt about this. I am the one, undivided essence. Thus realizing 'That' uninterruptedly, the supreme self should me meditated upon.

24. Even as this is an utterance of experience, so it is to be experienced always.
The utterance in the beginning and the second one should be remembered as statements of practice.

25. The third is 'tat tvam asi' (That thou art) and in the standard interpretation of it the three words tat (That), tvam (you); asi are defined thus:

26. The import of the word 'That' is Isvara, the Lord. The meaning of the word 'tvam'
is the individual soul.  The significance of the word 'asi' is unification - the state of one undivided essence.

27.  Of the dual mode, witness mode, and the undivided mode, the undivided is
is Existence Consciousness Bliss.  That alone are you.  Be certain of that.

28. You are Brahman.   There is no doubt of this.  You are, indeed, the undiminishing
awareness.  You, are indeed, Being Awareness Bliss.  You are, indeed, undivided certitude.

29.  If it is thus said by the Guru, he is indeed the supreme Guru.  The ideal disciple
achieving certainty that I am Brahman becomes the supreme self.

30.  No other is the Guru, no other disciple.  You are Brahman, the supreme Guru.
He who can initiate one into all the Mantras is the Guru; He is the supreme Guru.

21. (which was left behind, by oversight.)   I am Brahman, just consciousness,
the embodiment of Being Awareness Bliss.  Such should be the bearing after hearing
the great aphorism 'I am Brahman.'.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.           
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:57:32 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 01, 2017, 11:09:08 AM »
31.  He who teaches that you are Brahman alone is the Guru.  Be certain of this.
Again, you are that, Brahman.  You alone are the true Guru.

32.  Certitude in the sadguru's words means certitude in knowledge.  He who endeavors
thus always becomes liberated.  There is no question about this.

33.  The statement 'tat tvam asi' is the great aphorism and the Guru's utterance as well. The mind which hears this alone said to be listening. Nothing else is worthy of  calling as hearing.

34. The crux of all utterances of Vedanta is the abidance in the non dual Brahman.
This much is heard from the Guru's mouth.  Thus hear about Brahman.

35. The Guru is no other but the seer of the Mantras.  The sadguru is only one.  By whom it is said 'You are Brahman', he alone is the sadguru.

36.  Listening to Vedanta is called hearing. Nothing else is worth calling hearing.  Inquiring by way of reflection is called reflection.

37.  Thus the sandalwood tree and whatever is heard are examined. Even after 'You are Brahman' is said, doubt is perceived.

38.  Investigate. Be determined.  Thus, inquire well about the self. I tell you here what reasoning is - that the perishable body is not I.

39.  The gross body, the subtle body - gross, subtle and causal; as these three are absent  in the fourth state, all is only consciousness.

40.  All of this is naught, because of being insentient, being the seen and being like the pot (unlike space in it which is not subject to destruction).  I am only consciousness here and because of being the seer not subject to dissolution.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 03, 2017, 01:28:49 PM »
41. Being, knowledge, and immortality are qualities natural to the self.  Death, insentience, and sorrow are the qualities prevalent in the world.

42. Therefore, I am Brahman alone. All this is unreal - thus reflects always the knower of Brahman.

43. I shall tell you about nidhidhyasana, the profound meditation on the subject and the traits of two fold renunciation.  The listening to 'you are Brahman' is sravana. The contemplation on 'I, indeed am' is  manana.

44. The renunciation of these is nididhyasana, involves the contemplation of homogeneity of one's inferiority is the renunciation of the heterogeneous.

45.  Forsaking all forms of renunciation, cast aside the fourth state too.  The essence
of just Brahman consciousness alone is said to be realization.

46.  Being is defined in the great aphoristic teachings. Likewise, 'I am Brahman' is defined as the teaching for experience.

47.  The import of the aphorism 'Prajnanam Brahma' is said to be for the purpose of practice.  The import of the aphorism 'Ayam Atma Brahma - The Self is Brahman's is said to be that of realization.

48.  'Ayam' is one word, 'atma' is another 'Brahma' makes it three.  The meaning for the word 'ayam' is the individual and that of 'atma' is Isvara, the supreme.

49.  And the meaning of the word Brahman is the undivided mode.  The merger of the three words is the one undivided essence.

50.  The self is itself the one undivided essence eternal, pure and liberated. Everything
emanates from that alone.  About this there is no question.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.