Author Topic: Hindu Fasts , Festivals from April 2016 - March 2017  (Read 2443 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Hindu Fasts , Festivals from April 2016 - March 2017
« on: April 22, 2016, 10:24:07 AM »
Started this new thread to inform , understand all the major Hindu Fasts , Festivals that come in the period April 2016 - March 2017 as Tamil New Year started from 14 April 2016 . There many be differences in the dates of some festivals in North India , South India ( for example Hanuman Jyanathi ) but it does not matter . We can always celebrate the festivals ( in a spiritual sense ) on both the dates .  Swami Sivananda has written a separate book called "Hindu  Fasts , Festivals " and the link to the book is given here :
http://www.dlshq.org/download/hindufest.htm

I will try to post mainly from Swami Sivananda , Kanchi Paramacharya and Bhagavan Ramana about the significance of the various fasts and festivals that are celebrated in India and as a starting point have taken Hanuman Jayanathi that is falling today : Fri 22 April 2016 ( according to North Indian Calender ) .

So far the festivals that were over are :

1) Tamil New Year on THu 14 April 2016
2) Sri Rama Navami on FRI 15 April 2016

Today is  Chitra Pournami , Hanuman Jayanthi on Fri 22 April 2016 ( according to North Indian Calender )

Today i Fri 22 April 2016 is Celebrated as Hanuman Jayanthi in North India .Hanumanh Jayanti or Hanumath Jayanti is celebrated to commemorate the birth of Hanuman, the Vanara god, widely venerated throughout India. The event is celebrated on the 15th day of the Shukla Paksha, during the month of Chaitra (the Chaitra Pournimaa). In South India, especially Tamil Nadu Hanumaan jayanthi is celebrated on the Margazhi month of Moola nakshathram. It is said that Hanumaan was born on the moola nakshathra in Marghazi month. It does not matter which date is correct and we can celebrate Hanuman Jayanthi on both dates ( North India , South India ) . Lord Hanuman is a symbol for Physical Strength , Perseverance and devotion ( to LORD RAMA ) and let us invoke Lord Hanuman for blessing us with lot of physical strength , abundant perseverance and sincere devotion to God to face our challenges in our life cheerfully and come out successful . Very auspicious to start Chanting Hanuman Chalisa and start reading Sundara Kandam from today to receive Lord Hanuman's blessings .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Hindu Fasts , Festivals from April 2016 - March 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »
Hanuman Jayanti

by Swami Sivananda from the book "Hindu , Fasts and Festivals "

Yatra yatra raghunatha kirtanam;
Tatra tatra kritha masthakanjalim;
Bhaspavaari paripurna lochanam;
Maarutim namata raakshasanthakam

MEANING: ?We bow to Maruti, Sri Hanuman, who stands with his palms folded above his forehead, with a torrent of tears flowing down his eyes wherever the Names of Lord Rama are sung?.

SRI HANUMAN is worshipped all over India?either alone or together with Sri Rama. Every temple of Sri Rama has the murti or idol of Sri Hanuman. Hanuman is the Avatara of Lord Shiva. He was born of the Wind-God and Anjani Devi. His other names are Pavanasuta, Marutsuta, Pavankumar, Bajrangabali and Mahavira.

He is the living embodiment of Ram-Nam. He was an ideal selfless worker, a true Karma Yogi who worked desirelessly and dynamically. He was a great devotee and an exceptional Brahmachari or celibate. He served Sri Rama with pure love and devotion, without expecting any fruit in return. He lived to serve Sri Rama. He was humble, brave and wise. He possessed all the divine virtues. He did what others could not do?crossing the ocean simply by uttering Ram-Nam, burning the city of Lanka, and bringing the sanjeevini herb and restoring Lakshmana to life again. He brought Sri Rama and Lakshmana from the nether world after killing Ahiravana.

He had devotion, knowledge, spirit of selfless service, power of celibacy, and desirelessness. He never boasted of his bravery and intelligence.

He said to Ravana, ?I am a humble messenger of Sri Rama. I have come here to serve Rama, to do His work. By the command of Lord Rama, I have come here. I am fearless by the Grace of Lord Rama. I am not afraid of death. I welcome it if it comes while serving Lord Rama.?

Mark here how humble Hanuman was! How very devoted he was to Lord Rama! He never said, ?I am the brave Hanuman. I can do anything and everything.?

Lord Rama Himself said to Sri Hanuman, ?I am greatly indebted to you, O mighty hero! You did marvellous, superhuman deeds. You do not want anything in return. Sugriva has his kingdom restored to him. Angada has been made the crown prince. Vibhishana has become king of Lanka. But you have not asked for anything at any time. You threw away the precious garland of pearls given to you by Sita. How can I repay My debt of gratitude to you? I will always remain deeply indebted to you. I give you the boon of everlasting life. All will honour and worship you like Myself. Your murti will be placed at the door of My temple and you will be worshipped and honoured first. Whenever My stories are recited or glories sung, your glory will be sung before Mine. You will be able to do anything, even that which I will not be able to!?

Thus did Lord Rama praise Hanuman when the latter returned to Him after finding Sita in Lanka. Hanuman was not a bit elated. He fell in prostration at the holy feet of Lord Rama.

Lord Rama asked him, ?O mighty hero, how did you cross the ocean??

Hanuman humbly replied, ?By the power and glory of Thy Name, my Lord.?

Again the Lord asked, ?How did you burn Lanka? How did you save yourself??

And Hanuman replied, ?By Thy Grace, my Lord.?

What humility Sri Hanuman embodied!

There are many who want wealth in return for their services. Some do not want wealth, but they cannot resist name and fame. Others do not want any of these, but they want approbation. Still others want nothing, but they boast of their deeds. Hanuman was above all these. That is why he is recognised as an ideal Karma Yogi and an unsurpassed adept in Bhakti. His life is full of object lessons. Everyone should try his best to follow the noble example of Hanuman.

His birthday falls on Chaitra Shukla Purnima (the March-April full moon day).

On this holy day worship Sri Hanuman. Fast on this day. Read the Hanuman Chalisa. Spend the whole day in the Japa of Ram-Nam. Sri Hanuman will be highly pleased and will bless you with success in all your undertakings.

Glory to Hanuman! Glory to his Lord, Sri Rama!
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 01:36:17 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

I do not know Chitra Pournami is the birth day of Hanuman.  Thanks for the information.  However,
I do say Hanuman slokas everyday.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 03:01:45 PM »
Subramaniam Sir

There is a difference between North Indian Date and South Indian date with regard to celebrating Sri Hanuman Jayanthi .In south we celebrate during Margazhi time but today it is celebrated as Hanuman Jayannthi all over North India and chanting of Hanuman Chalisa , Reading Sundara Kandam and Chanting of RAM NAM is very auspicious today .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 10:53:32 AM »
Today i.e Mon 25 April 2016 is Sankatahara Chaturthi - an auspicious day dedicated to Lord Ganesha

Source :
https://www.epanchang.com/sankatahara-chaturthi

Sankatahara Chaturthi is an auspicious day dedicated to Lord Ganesha. It is celebrated every month [lunar], on the fourth day of the waning phase of the moon [Krishna Paksham]. It is the fourth day after the full moon day.

If the chaturthi falls on a tuesday, it is considered even more auspicious.

Fasting on Sankatahara Chaturthi

Fasting on Sankatahara Chaturthi is considered auspicious and beneficial. It is believed that if we take up this vratam and continue it for one year, fasting on all the Sankatahara Chaturthi days, culminating the vratam by performing the "Maha Ganapathi Homam", all difficult tasks in life will be completed and all obstacles removed from our life.

Even though any day could be a good day to pray to Lord Ganesha, sankatahara chaturthi is supposed to be the best day for the sankatahara chaturthi vratham. Sankatahara literally means breaking or removing of sorrow. So, it is believed that fasting on sankatahara chaturthi will bring a speedy end to your sorrows. Also, it is believed that if one looks at the moon on a waxing phase moon on a chathurti, he will fall from grace and that performing the chaturthi vratham will help him regain his status. It is also believed that performing the vratham every month on the chaturthi day will bring all happiness and wealth ani the family and remove all obstacles. There are various other good things attributed to the chaturthi vratham or fasting, such as getting relief from long standing sickness, improvement in education, sharp intelligence, long life, relief from sani dosha and so on. Every month puja on the Sankatahara Chaturthi is performed and Lord Ganesha is worshipped under different forms every month. On Sankatahara Chaturthi, Lord Ganesha blesses his devotees with his presence on Earth at the time of the celebrations.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 02:23:48 PM »
Ekadasi comes this month on Tue 3 May 2016

Ekadasi Fasting Appeal & Reminder
https://mahaperiyavaa.wordpress.com/2016/05/02/ekadasi-fasting-appeal-reminder-3/

?Whatever happens in Bharatha Desam we need to ensure the King of all Vrattas Ekadasi has to be revived and practiced by all; This Vrattam is a Maha Dharma that was practiced very sincerely until two or three generations ago but has been robbed since then. We need to realize because of a couple Maadhwa elderly women observing Ekadasi Shuddha Upavasam sincerely today we get rains.? ? Sri Kanchi Maha Periyava

?We do not become weak or lose our health if we observe upavasam, in fact it is the other way around. ?Langanam Parama Oushadham? (Fasting is the best cure or medicine) is what the Ayurveda Sastras say. It may be tough to start but with practice we can overcome it. With Bhagawath Bakthi and Sankalpam we will realize the fruits we get out of fasting which will strengthen our resolve to observe upavasams.? ? Sri Kanchi Maha Periyava

Jaya Jaya Shankara Hara Hara Shankara,

Ekadasi, the mother of all Vrattams comes in the next day or two depending on where we live. Please check your Panchangam or Calendar for Thithi as it is based on sun rise. Sri Periyava?s strong message on observing this Vrattam is listed in the link below. The goal is to restrain ourselves from worldly activities as much as we can and spend time in Iswara Dhyanam, Purana Shravanam, and Bhagawan Nama Japam  which is very important.

Here is a summary of the levels of fasting prescribed by Sri Periyava. Let?s start at level 4 and with Periyava?s grace we will progress over a period of time. All we need to do is put in our sincere effort and Periyava will show us the way. Bare minimum, ?Avoid Rice? on this day and be in Periyava Smaranam. If possible, have an early dinner before sunset on Dasami (the day before Ekadasi) as Sastras prescribes that way. Spread this message to like-minded people as well. Ram Ram.

Nirjalam ? Without water, very noble.
    Sathvik Liquids ? Water, Milk, Porridge
    Fruits and Sathvik Liquids
    Light Tiffin, Fruits ? Upma/Idly/Dosa/Chapatti/Poori for one session (without any Patthu) and fruits or Sathvik liquids for another session. Consume this food without any salt.Please ?AVOID? taking rice on this day as Sri Periyava has warned about ?No atonement? if rice is consumed on this day. It is an equivalent sin to consuming dog?s excreta in every handful we take.

Exemptions ? People who are sick, weak, elderly can consume rice without Kanji water without salt, tamarind, and spice. People are who are below 8 and above 80 are exempted though they can also fast if they can. North Indian?s especially Bengali?s, Maharashtrian?s observe this fast Nirjalam (No Water) including infants and toddlers.

Sathvik Liquids ? Water, Milk, Buttermilk (no salt), Wheat Porridge (no salt). Coffee, Tea, Choco drinks, cool drinks, alcohol, are NOT ?Sathvik? Liquids. Let?s ensure whatever we consume does not contain ?Gelatin? as it will be terrible to have it on this day or rather any day.Ekadasi Timings ? Fasting is observed based on the existence of Ekadasi Thithi at the time of sunrise. Ekadasi may exist only for a partial day but if the Thithi on sunrise is Ekadasi consider fasting on that day.

Check http://www.mypanchang.com/, http://www.drikpanchang.com/ for details on sunrise and thithi or your local calendars.
    Breaking Fast on Dwadasi Morning ? Check the Panchagam when the Dwadasi Thithi ends the next morning and do Paaranai (have full meal) before that time. If it is too early and food cannot be prepared offer ?Thulasi? Theertham or Milk to Bhagawan and break the fast by consuming it. Agathikeerai, Nellikai Pachadi (Gooseberry/Amla), Sundakaai are items included in Dwadasi menu to bring the body back to equilibrium after the fasting day. We all have a duty to feed Gho Matha every day but it is very auspicious and parama punniyam to feed Gho Matha with Agathikeerai on Dwadasi.
    Source and Original Posting from Deivathin Kural on Ekadasi ?

Note :
We may  have a small doubt ? while No Rice is to taken on Ekadashi ? how does one make Idli, Dosa etc without rice ?
The answer is here : Rice and grains cannot be taken wholly or boiled. It can be crushed and taken as in the case of Dosa ,Idly , Rice Upma etc . Even that is the last option as Sri Periyava has mentioned above.

?People are interested in doing Utsavam, Bikshavandanam, Kanakabhishekam, Peetarohanam, etc. for me and sing my praises. The same gets published in the media. Is there any point in this? Our goal should be to execute what is told in the Sastras. That is the real Utsavam, Bikshavandanam, Peetarohanam, and Kanakabhishekam for me.? ? Pujya Shri HH Kanchi Maha Periyava
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:10:22 AM by atmavichar100 »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 06:17:29 PM »
Today i.e  Wed 4 May 2016 is Pradosham and given below is the significance and means of observing Pradosham Vrat in Tamil . Will later find an equivalent English version of the same and share it here 

பிரதோஷ விரதம் அனுஷ்டிக்கும் முறைகளும் அதன் பயன்களும்:

http://swasthiktv.com/pradhosam-viratham-anusarikum-murai/

என்பது சிவனுக்குரிய நாட்களில் மிகவும் முக்கியமான நாளாகும்.இந்தப் பிரதோஷமானது மாதம் இருமுறை அதாவது வளர்பிறையில் ஒரு முறையும்,தேய் பிறையில் ஒருமுறையும் வரும்.அப்படி வரும் 15 நாட்களில் பதிமூன்றாவது நாளான த்ரயோதசி அன்று மாலை 4.30 மணி முதல் 6.00 மணி வரை இருக்கும் நேரத்தை பிரதோஷ காலம் என்று கூறுவர். பிரதோஷ விரதம் சிவனுக்கு உரிய பலவித விரதங்களில் தலையாயது. இவ்விரதத்தை அனுஷ்டிப்போர் துன்பங்களிலிருந்து நீக்கி இன்பத்தை எய்துவார்.

விரதம் அனுஷ்டிக்கும் முறை:

வளர்பிறை தேய்பிறை என்ற இரண்டு பட்சங்களில் வரும் திரயோதசி திதி அன்று அதிகாலையிலும் எழுந்து நீராடி,நித்ய கடன்களை முடிக்க வேண்டும்.சிவாலயம் சென்று வழிபட வேண்டும்.அன்று முழுவதும் உணவின்றி உபவாசம் இருக்கவேண்டும்.திருமுறைகள் ஒத வேண்டும். பிரதோஷ நேரமான மாலை 4.30 மணி முதல் 6.00 மணி வரை சிவாலயம் சென்று (சிவாயநம)ஓதி வழிபட வேண்டும்.

பிரதோஷ காலத்தில் சிவனுடன் கூடவே அவரது வாகனமான நந்தி தேவருக்கும் அபிஷேகம் நடைபெறும்.இவருக்கும் பால்,தயிர்,சந்தனம்,எண்ணெய்,நெய்,இளநீர்,போன்றவற்றால் அபிஷேகங்கள் நடைபெறும்.பின் பூ,வில்வம் முதலியவற்றால் அர்ச்சனைகள் நடக்கும்.

பிரதோஷ பூஜையின் போது அபிஷேகப் பொருட்களால் விளையும் பலன்கள்:-

1. பால் ? நோய் தீரும் நீண்ட ஆயுள் கிடைக்கும்.

2. தயிர் ? பல வளமும் உண்டாகும்

3. தேன் ? இனிய சாரீரம் கிட்டும்

4. பழங்கள் ? விளைச்சல் பெருகும்

5. பஞ்சாமிர்தம் ? செல்வம் பெருகும்

6. நெய் ? முக்தி பேறு கிட்டும்

7. இளநீர் ? நல்ல மக்கட் பேறு கிட்டும்

8. சர்க்கரை ? எதிர்ப்புகள் மறையும்

9. எண்ணெய் ? சுகவாழ்வு

10. சந்தனம் ? சிறப்பான சக்திகள் பெறலாம்

11. மலர்கள் ? தெய்வ தரிசனம் கிட்டும்

முதலில் நந்தி தேவருக்கு தீபாராதனை காட்டப்படும். பின்பு தான் மூலவரான லிங்கத்திற்கு பூஜை நடக்கும். அப்படி நடக்கும் தீபாராதனையை நந்தியின் இரண்டு கொம்புகளுக்கிடையே பார்த்து தரிசிக்க நம் தோஷங்கள் அனைத்தும் நீங்கிவிடும். நமக்கு நன்மைகளே நடக்கும் என்பது நம்பிக்கை.

நந்தி ஸ்லோகம்:

நந்திகேச மஹா பாகா சிவ த்யான பராயணா

உமா சங்கர சேவார்த்தம் அனுக்ஞாம் தாது மர்ஹசி

நந்தியின் சிறப்பு:

பிரதோஷ காலத்தில் sivaசிவனுடன் கூடவே அவரது வாகனமான நந்தி தேவருக்கும் அபிஷேகம் நடைபெறும். இவருக்கும்  பால்,தயிர்,சந்தனம், எண்ணெய், நெய், இளநீர், போன்றவற்றால் அபிஷேகங்கள் நடைபெறும்.பின் பூ,வில்வம் முதலியவற்றால் அர்ச்சனைகள் நடக்கும். முதலில் நந்தி தேவருக்கு தீபாராதனை காட்டப்படும். பின்பு தான் மூலவரான லிங்கத்திற்கு பூஜை நடக்கும்.அப்படி நடக்கும் தீபாராதனையை நந்தியின் இரண்டு கொம்புகளுக்கிடையே பார்த்து தரிசிக்க நம் தோஷங்கள் அனைத்தும் நீங்கிவிடும்.நமக்கு நன்மைகளே நடக்கும் என்பது நம்பிக்கை.

நந்தி அபிஷேகத்தின் போது சொல்லும் ஸ்லோகம்:

நந்திகேச மஹா பாகா சிவ த்யான பராயணா

உமா சங்கர சேவார்த்தம் அனுக்ஞாம் தாது மர்ஹசி

பொருள்:

சிவத்யானத்தில் சதா ஈடுபட்டுள்ள நந்தி பகவானே! நான் சிவ பார்வதி சேவை செய்ய அனுமதி அளிப்பாயாக!!

இவ்வாறு இந்த நந்தி ஸ்லோகத்தை சொல்லி வழி பட்டால் சிவனின் அருள் நமக்கு பிரதோஷகாலத்தில் கிடைக்கும்.

குறிப்பு:  இப்படியாக இந்த பிரதோஷத்தன்று விரதங்களை அனுஷ்டித்து பின்பு அன்றிரவு பால் பழம் போன்ற ஆகாரத்துடன் விரதத்தை முடித்துக் கொள்ளலாம்.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 05:05:49 PM »
Today i.e Mon 9 May 2016 is Akshaya Thrithia an ausoicious day for the Hindus ( as well as Jains ) . According to tradition Veda Vyasa started to dictate Mahabharata to Lord Ganesha today .The word "Akshaya" means the never diminishing in Sanskrit and the day is believed to bring good luck and success. It is believed that if you do charity on this day you will be blessed .The day is considered auspicious for starting new ventures. The legend is that any venture initiated on the auspicious day of Akshaya Tritiya continues to grow and bring prosperity. Hence, new ventures, like starting a business, construction, or even for starting any spiritual sdhana like japa , parayana of scriptural texts etc. is performed on Akshaya Tritiya. Unortunately many people get caught up in the myth that buying Gold today will help them get lot of prosperity . Actually it is the reverse i.e if you donate Gold , money , food , clothes to charity then you and your family will be blessed . So let us practice on the core spiritual essence of what Akshaya Trithi stands for i.e start doing any spiritual sadhana from today ( like Japa , Parayana of Scriptural texts etc ) or donate to charity , temples ( food , clothes , money or Gold ) .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 05:40:37 PM »
Some facts about Akshaya Trithi that I got from another friend via email and sharing the same here .

அட்சய திருதியை பற்றி 60 தகவல்கள்
அட்சய திருதியையின் முக்கியத்துவத்தையும், பெருமைகளையும் `பவிஷ்யோத்தர-புராணம்? விரிவாக விவரிக்கிறது.
1. அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று தான் கிருதயுகம் பிறந்தது.
2. கங்கை, பூமியை முதல் முதலில் அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று தான் தொட்டது.
3. வனவாச காலத்தில் பாண்டவர்கள் அட்சய பாத்திரம் பெற்றது அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்றுதான்.
4. அட்சய திருதியை நாளில் தான் மணிமேகலை அட்சய பாத்திரம் பெற்றாள்.
5. அட்சய திருதியையின் முக்கியத்துவத்தையும், பெருமைகளையும் `பவிஷ்யோத்தர-புராணம்? விரிவாக விவரிக்கிறது.
6. அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று தான் ஐஸ்வர்ய லட்சுமி, தான்ய லட்சுமி அவதாரங்கள் நிகழ்ந்தன.
7. அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்றுதான் குபேரன் நிதி கலசங்களை பெற்றார்.
8. சிவபெருமான் அன்னபூரணியிடம் பிட்சாடனராக வந்து யாசகம் பெற்றது அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்றுதான்.
9. பராசக்தியின் ஒரு அம்சமான சாகம்பரிதேவி இந்த உலகில் காய்கறிகளையும், மூலிகைச் செடிகளையும் உருவாக்கியவர் என்று புராணம் சொல்கிறது. அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்றுதான் அவர் காய்கறி, மூலிகைகளை உருவாக்கினார்.
10. அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்றுதான் விஷ்ணுவின் 6-வது அவதாரமான பரசுராமர் அவதரித்தார்.
11. ரோகிணி நட்சத்திர நாளில் வரும் அட்சய திருதியை மிக, மிக சிறப்பு வாய்ந்ததாகும்.
12. அட்சய திருதியை நாளில் தான் விநாயகருக்கு மகாபாரதத்தை வியாசர் போதித்தார்.
13. வடமாநிலங்களில் அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று திருமணம் நடத்துவதை புனிதமாக கருதுகிறார்கள்.
14. அரியானா, பஞ்சாபில் அதிகமாக உள்ள ஜாட்இனத்தவர்கள் அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று மறக்காமல் மண் வெட்டி எடுத்துக் கொண்டு வயலுக்கு செல்வார்கள்.
15. ஜெயின் இனத்தவர்களுக்கு அட்சய திருதியை புனித நாளாகும்.
16. வடஇந்தியர்கள் நீண்டதூர புனித பயணங்களை அட்சய திருதியை நாளில் தான் தொடங்குவார்கள்.
17. ஒரிசாவில் வீடு கட்ட, கிணறு தோண்ட சிறந்த நாளாக அட்சய திருதியை தினம் கருதப்படுகிறது.
18. பீகார், உத்தரபிரதேசத்தில் நெல் விதைப்பை அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று தொடங்குவார்கள்.
19. அட்சய திருதியை நன்னாளில் தான் உணவு கடவுளான அன்னபூரணி அவதரித்தாள்.
20. அட்சய திருதியை அன்று தங்கம் வாங்க இயலாதவர்கள் உப்பு வாங்கினால் கூட போதும். தங்கம் வாங்குவதற்குரிய பலன்கள் கிடைக்கும்.
21. அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று தான் பிரம்மா, உலகை படைத்தார் என்று புராணங்கள் சொல்கின்றன.
22. அட்சய திருதியை நாளில் தான் மதுரை மீனாட்சியை சுந்தரேஸ்வரர் மணந்தார் என்று புராணங்கள் சொல்கின்றன.
23. அமாவாசைக்கு 3-வது நாள் அட்சய திருதியை 3-ம் எண்ணுக்கு அதிபதி குரு, இந்த குரு உலோகத்தில் தங்கத்தை பிரதிபலிக்கிறார். எனவே குருவுக்கு `பொன்னன்? என்ற பெயரும் உண்டு. இதனால் தான் அட்சய திருதியை நாளில் பொன் வாங்குவது சிறப்பு பெறுகிறது.
24. ஒரு தடவை சாபம் பெற்றதால் சந்திரன் தேய்ந்து தேய்ந்து அமாவாசை ஆகி விட்டார். மனம் திருந்திய சந்திரன் அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று அட்சயவரம் பெற்றார். மீண்டும் அட்சய தினத்தில் இருந்து வளரத் தொடங்கினார்.
25. அரிதான வேலையை சந்திப்பதை `அலப்ய யோகம்? என்கிறது சாஸ்திரம். அட்சய திருதியை, அலப்ய யோகத்தில் சேரும், ஆகவே அரிதான அட்சய திருதியை தவறவிட்டால் பிறகு ஒரு வருடம் காத்திருக்க வேண்டும்.
26. அட்சய திருதியைக்கு இன்னொரு காரணமும் சொல்வர். அதாவது அடிபடாத இரண்டாக உடையாத முழு அரிசிக்கு `அட்சதை? என்று பெயர். சதம் என்றால் அடிப்பட்டு ஊனமாகாதது என்ஞறும் அர்த்தம் உண்டு. அட்சதையால் அட்சயனை மதுசூதனை வணங்குவதால் அந்த திதிக்கு `அட்சய திருதியை? எனும் பெயர் அமைந்ததாகச் சொல்கிறது புராணம்.
27. அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தை சமணர்கள் ?அட்சய தீஜ்?? என்றழைக்கிறார்கள்.
28. ரிஷபதேவர் எனும் தீர்த்தங்கரரின் நினைவு நாளாக அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தை சமணர்கள் அனுசரிக்கிறார்கள்.
29. அட்சய திருதியை விரதத்தை முதன் முதலில் கடைபிடித்தவர் மகாதயன் என்ற வியாபாரி ஆவார்.
30. மகாலட்சுமியின் பரிபூரண அருளை ஒவ்வொருவரும் பெற வேண்டும் என்பதே அட்சய திருதியை பண்டிகையின் முக்கிய நோக்கமாகும்.
31. அட்சய திருதியை அன்று அதிகாலையில் நீராடி ஸ்ரீமந்த் நாராயணனின் நாமங்களை சொல்லி புதிய செயல்களை தொடங்க வேண்டும்.
32. குழந்தைகளுக்கு கல்வி கொடுக்கும் அட்சராயப் பியாசம் செய்யும் சடங்கு `அட்சய திருதியை? நாளில் செய்யப்படுகிறது.
33. மகாலட்சுமி திருமாள் மார்பில் நீங்காமல் இருப்பதற்காக அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்றுதான் சிறப்பு வரம் பெற்றாள்.
34. கும்பகோணம் பட்டீஸ்வரர் அருகில் உள்ள முழைநர் ஸ்ரீபரசுநாதர் கோவிலில் அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று சிவபெருமானுக்கு காசு மாலை அணிவித்து குபேர பூஜை நடத்துவார்கள். அப்போது சிவனை தரிசித்தால் செல்வம் பெருகும் என்பது நம்பிக்கை.
35. தமிழ்நாட்டில் அட்சய திருதியை விழா திருப்பரங்குன்றம், திருச்சோற்றுத்துறை விளங்குளம் கோவில்களில் சிறப்பாக கொண்டாடப்படுகிறது.
36. அட்ச திருதியை தினத்தில் செய்யப்படும் பித்ரு தர்ப்பணம் பல தலைமுறைக்கு முந்தைய நமது மூதாதையர்களுக்கும் போய் சேரும் என்பது ஐதீகம். எனவே அட்சய திருயை தினத்தன்று செய்யப்படும் பித்ருகடன் மிகமுக்கியத்துவம் வாய்ந்ததாக கருதப்படுகிறது.
37. வாசுதேவரை வணங்கி அன்னதானம் செய்வதும், கங்கையில் குளிப்பதும் அட்சய திருதியை நாளில் கூடுதல் பலன்களை தரும்.
38. மேற்கு வங்காளத்தில் அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று தான் விநாயகரையும், லட்சுமியையும் வணங்கி புது கணக்கு தொடங்குகிறார்கள்.
39. ஏழுமலையான் தன் திருமணத்துக்கு குபேரனிடம் கடன் வாங்கியதாக புராணம் சொல்கிறது. அவ்வளவு பெரிய பணக்காரனான குபேரன் அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று மகாலட்சுமியை மனம் உருகி வணங்கி செல்வத்தை பெருக்குவதாக ஐதீகம். எனவே அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று குபேர லட்சுமி பூஜை செய்வது செல்வம் தரும்.
40. அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று அதிகாலை விஷ்ணு பூஜை செய்வது அளவிடற்கரிய பலன்களைத்தரும்.
41. அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று செய்யப்படும் தானங்களில் அன்னதானம் மிக உயர்வாக கருதப்படுகிறது.
42. அட்சய திருதியை அன்று லட்சுமி படத்துக்கு ஒரு முழம் பூ வாங்கிப்போட்டு, மனதார பிரார்த்தனை செய்தாலே போதும், ?கனகதாரை?? நிச்சயம் உங்கள் வீட்டிலும் செல்வம் பெருக செய்வாள்.
43. அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று மிருத்யுஞ்ஜய மந்திரத்தை எழுதி குழந்தைகளின் தலையணை அடியில் வைத்தால் கண் திருஷ்டி கழியும்.
44. அட்சய திருதியை அன்று வீட்டின் நான்கு மூலைகளிலும் சோழிகளை போட்டு வைப்பது மரபு. இது செல்வத்தை கொண்டு வரும் அம்சமாகும்.
45. அட்சய திருதியை தினம் சத்ருசாந்தி பூஜைக்கு ஏற்ற தினமாகும். இதனால் எதிரிகளின் தொல்லை ஒழியும்.
46. அட்சய திருதியையன்று மிருத சஞ்ஜீவினி மந்திரம் ஜெபித்தால் நோய்களின் வீரியம் குறையும்.
47. அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று சிவனே, அன்ன பூரணியிடம் உணவு பெற்றதால் நமசிவாய மந்திரம் அன்று முதல் சொல்லத்தொடங்கலாம். பிறகு தினமும் 108 தடவை ஓம் நமச்சிவாய சொல்லி வந்தால் பார்வதி-பரமேஸ்வரரின் அருள் கிடைக்கும்.
48. அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று பவானி சங்கமேஸ்வரர் ஆலயத்தில் உள்ள முக்கூடல் புண்ணியத் தீர்த்தத்தில் நீராடினால் நமது எல்லா பாவங்களும் விலகிவிடும் என்பது ஐதீகம்.
49. கர்நாடக மாநிலத்தில் அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று பெண்கள் ஒரு மண்டபத்தில் கலசம் வைத்து அதில் கவுரியை எழுந்தருளச் செய்து சொர்ணகவுரி விரதம் கடைபிடிப்பார்கள். இதன் மூலம் பார்வதிதேவி தங்கள் வீட்டுக்கு வருவதாக நம்புகிறார்கள்.
50. அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று கும்பகோணம் மற்றும் அதன் சுற்று வட்டாரப் பகுதியில் உள்ள 16 பெருமாள் கோவில்களில் இருந்து 16 பெருமாள்கள் கருடவாகனத்தில் புறப்பட்டு வருவார்கள். கும்பகோணம் பெரிய தெருவில் 16 பெருமாள்களும் ஒரு சேர அணிவகுத்து பக்தர்களுக்கு தரிசனம் தருவார்கள். இந்த அற்புத தரிசனம் ஆண்டுக்கு ஒரு தடவையே நடைபெறும். அன்று 16 பெருமாள்களையும் வழிபட்டால் வாழ்வில் வளம் பெருகும் என்பது நம்பிக்கை.
51. அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று நெல், அரிசி, கோதுமை, தங்கம், பசுமாடு, பானகம், நீர்மோர், விசிறி, குடை போன்றவற்றை தானம் தரச் சொல்கிறது பவிஷ்ய புராணம். அன்றைக்குக் கொடுக்கப்படும் பொருட்கள், அளிப்பவருக்கு நிறைவாக பெருகும்.
52. அட்சய திருதியை நாளில் முன்னோரை நினைத்து, எள்ளும் தண்ணீரும் அளித்து வணங்க வேண்டும் என்கிறது தர்மசாஸ்திரம். தண்ணீர் நிரம்பிய குடத்தை தானமாகத்தருவது சிறப்பு என்கிறார்கள். இதனை `தர்மகடம்? எனப்போற்றுவர்.
53. அட்சய திருதியை நாளில், காலையில் எழுந்து நீராடி உணவு எதுவும் உட்கொள்ளாமல், கடவுளை வழிபட்டு, தானம் அளித்து, பிறருக்கு அன்னம் அளித்த பிறகே உணவை ஏற்க வேண்டும். இது மனத்தூய்மையையும் ஆரோக்கியத்தையும் ஏற்படுத்துகிறது. இதில் அறநெறியும் சேர்ந்திருப்பதால், பிறவிப்பயனும் கிடைக்கிறது.
54. அட்சய திருதியை நாளில் `வசந்த் மாதவாய நம? என்று சொல்லி, 16 வகை உபசாரங்களால் வசந்த மாதவனை வழிபடுங்கள். முக்கியமான ஒன்று... தானம் செய்ய உகந்த நாளில் தங்கம், வெள்ளி வாங்கி சேமிப்பில் இறங்குவது சாஸ் திரத்துக்கு உடன் பாடில்லை.
55. அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று ஆலம் இலையில் மிருத்யுஞ்சய மந்திரத்தை ஜெபித்து வியாபாரம் நடக்கும் கடையில் வைத்தால் வியாபாரம் பெருகும். எதிரிகள் தொல்லை நீங்கும்.
56. அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று செய்யப்படும் பித்ரு பூஜை மூவாயிரம் மடங்கு நல்ல பலன்களைத் தரும்.
57. புதன்கிழமை வரும் அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று தானம் செய்தால், அது பல கோடி மடங்கு கூடுதல் பலன்களைத் தரும்.
58. ஏழ்மையாக இருந்தாலும் அட்சய திருதியை தினத்தன்று தானம் செய்தால் செல்வம் கிடைக்கும் என்று பவிஷ்ய புராணம் சொல்கிறது.
59. ஒவ்வொரு அட்சய திருதியைக்கும் தவறாமல் தானம் செய்தால் மறுபிறவியில் அரசனுக்கு இணையான செல்வந்தர்களாக பிறப்பார்கள் என்பது ஐதீகம்.
60. மகாலட்சுமியின் அருள் பெற வேண்டுமானால், அதிகாலை பிரம்ம முகூர்த்த நேரத்தில் எழுந்து குளித்து, பூஜை அறையில் விளக்கு ஏற்றி வணங்கி, மகாலட்சுமி பெயரை உச்சரித்தாலே போதும். செல்வம் தானாக தேடி வரும்.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 03:03:40 PM »
Today i.e Wed 11 May 2016 is Adi Shankara Jayanthi and sharing below an article on the same by Swami Sivananda .

Shankara Jayanti
By
Swami Sivananda

http://www.divyajivan.org/articles/siva/shankara%20Jayanti.htm

atguru charanam, bhava haranam.
Maanasa bhajare, guru charanam,
Dustara bhava saagara taranam.
Guru maharaaj guru jaya jaya,
Para brahma satguru jaya jaya

RELIGION IS realisation; it is not mere learning?this is the divine message which stands deeply in the minds of every Hindu. This is not a mere fancy. This is not a mental conception. This is not a stretch of imagination. It is not a coinage of the brain. Nor is it a decision arrived at by vehement vituperation and incongruent argumentation promulgated by an ordinary intellectual prodigy.

This is the assertion of Shankara, India?s greatest philosopher-saint, the incarnation of Lord Shiva, reverently known as Srimath Adi Shankaracharya.

What can we take him for except the Lord Himself, who proclaims authoritatively and undauntedly: ?I am the Self of all; I am the all; I am transcendent; I am one without a second; I am the Absolute; I am the infinite Consciousness; I am homogeneous bliss?.

Shankara is our Vedanta Guru. He was God incarnate. He was born at a time when Indian thought and culture were decaying; when they underwent sore distraction; when ethical glory and the widespread influence of the Buddhistic cult was gradually dying; when there was complete chaos and confusion; when innumerable sects sprang up and, with their own individual doctrines, confounded the masses; when evil social influences and blind superstitions, garbed falsely in the clothes of religion, attracted the credulous masses into a frenzy, and ambushed them into complete ignorance of the ultimate Reality. There were no less than seventy-two cults and sects of this type which carried away people from the right path.

The advent of Lord Krishna rejuvenated Hindu religion and saved many a soul from complete ruin, souls which would otherwise have subjugated themselves to passivism due to the misinterpretation of the Vedas and the Upanishads. In the same way, Shankara appeared on earth to deliver very many struggling souls. He set them free, and enlightened them through his peaceful, unostentatious persuasion and loving propaganda. Through his irresistible logic, he planted the triumphant banner of unique intellectual conquest over all other schools of philosophy. Before him, all other theories proved to be phantoms and fallacies.

It was only Shankara who gave the unshakable concrete form to Hinduism and established the unity and purity of enlightened Hindu thought and culture. Superstitions and corrupt practices melted away in no time.

The age-long six systems of theism which were suppressed by the prattlers re-emerged in their original glory only through the concerted efforts of Shankara.

His victory over other systems of philosophy was not due to a stubborn grip onto his own faith and reasoning without considering the pros and cons of others. He had mastered even the minutest intricasies of the other theories. The underlying currents of his thoughts were the foundations of the other systems. It is for this reason alone that his philosophy was recognised with much reverence by all the other schools of thought, despite differences in their superstructure.

The secret of his conquest and the charm therein lay in his most apt and reasonable illustrations in every case. He never based his arguments on theoretical axioms and untestified hypotheses, but entirely on integral experience. Further, all his arguments were based upon the Vedas as well, which are genuine and authoritative.

Shankara never entered into hot discussions to substantiate his case or disprove others? theories. With his gigantic intellect he poured out his masterly exposition in simple and clear terms with the same supreme authority of the Gita, Upanishads and the Brahma Sutras, the self-evident validity of the Sruti Pramana, and so on.

Above all, the philosophy of Shankara is not restricted to the highly intellectual. It is within the easy reach of even the layman. With his profound knowledge, all-comprehensive learning, keen intuitive insight and convincing explanations, he has erected the strong edifice of Vedanta, equally accessible to the scholar and the layman. How effectively he prescribed ?Bhaja Govindam? to the scholar who was racking his brains in committing various scriptures to memory!

Vedanta is not the only aspect of philosophy he has preached to the world. He has entered the heart of every earnest seeker after truth. He encourages the worship of various forms of the Lord and greatly advocates Bhakti. Without a tinge of partiality to one form or the other, he has composed innumerable hymns, each brimming with devotion and philosophical truth, each inculcating divine ecstasy and perennial joy even in the tender undeveloped mind. His untiring work for the welfare of mankind marks him out as a veritable, dynamic Karma Yogi, too.

At the background of all these, his devotion to his Guru is supermost. Mark what he says: ?Any person who realises ?I am That Brahman? through the unparalleled mercy and glance of the Sadguru, loses all feelings of doubt and, with his mind free from illusion, attains liberation even while living in the body?. How much efficacy and glory lie in devotion to the Guru!

Shankara Jayanthi falls on the 5th day of the bright half of Vaisakh (May-June). On this day, study his works, pray and meditate. May you be showered with his blessings!

This article has been reproduced from "Hindu Fast and Festivals" by Swami Sivananda.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 07:07:36 PM »
This is from Sri Ramanashram FB page on Sri Shankara Jayanti ( Wed 11 May 206 )

On this sacred day of Shankara Jayanti we remember the ten verses selected by Ramana Maharshi from Sivanandalahari (शिवानन्दलहरी) the composition of Adi Shankaracharya on the bliss of Lord Siva. Verse 65, fifth one below, is particularly inspiring because it assures devotees that ?nothing is impossible? for them!
Sri Bhagavan has selected 10 stanzas from the famous work of Sri Sankara - Sivananda Lahari - describing devotion (bhakti):
(1) What is bhakti?
Just as the ankola fruit falling from the tree rejoins it or a piece of iron is drawn to magnet, so also thoughts, after rising up, lose themselves in their original source. This is bhakti. The original source of thoughts is the feet of the Lord, Isvara. Love of His Feet forms bhakti. (61)
(2) Fruit of bhakti:
The thick cloud of bhakti, formed in the transcendental sky of the Lord?s Feet, pours down a rain of Bliss (ananda) and fills the lake of mind to overflowing. Only then the jiva, always transmigrating to no useful end, has his real purpose fulfilled. (76)
(3) Where to place bhakti?
Devotion to gods, who have themselves their origin and end, can result in fruits similarly with origin and end. In order to be in Bliss everlasting our devotion must be directed to its source, namely the Feet of the ever blissful Lord. (83)
(4) Bhakti is a matter only for experience and not for words:
How can Logic or other polemics be of real use? Can the ghatapatas (favourite examples of the logicians, meaning the pot and the cloth) save you in a crisis? Why then waste yourself thinking of them and on discussion? Stop exercising the vocal organs and giving them pain. Think of the Feet of the Lord and drink the nectar! (6)
(5) Immortality is the fruit of Devotion:
Nothing is impossible for the devotee to achieve. At the sight of him who in his heart has fixed the Lord?s Feet, Death is reminded of his bygone disastrous encounter with Markandeya and flees away.
All other gods worship only Siva, placing their crowned heads at His feet. Such involuntary worship is only natural to Siva.
Goddess Liberation, His consort, always remains part of Him. (65)
(6) If only Devotion be there - the conditions of the jiva cannot affect him.
However different the bodies, the mind alone is lost in the Lord?s Feet. Bliss overflows! (10)
(7) Devotion always unimpaired:
Wherever or however it be, only let the mind lose itself in the Supreme. It is Yoga! It is Bliss! Or the Yogi or the Bliss incarnate! (12)
(8 )  Karma Yoga also is Bhakti:
To worship God with flowers and other external objects is troublesome. Only lay the single flower, the heart, at the feet of Siva and remain at Peace. Not to know this simple thing and to wander about! How foolish! What misery! (9)
(9) This Karma Yoga puts an end to one?s samsara:
Whatever the order of life (asrama) of the devotee, only once thought of, Siva relieves the devotee of his load of samsara and takes it on Himself. (11)
(10) Devotion is Jnana:
The mind losing itself in Siva?s Feet is Devotion. Ignorance lost! Knowledge! Liberation! (91)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:12:16 PM by atmavichar100 »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 08:41:39 PM »
Buddha Jayanthi /Buddha Purnima comes on Sat 21 May 2016 this year and sharing here a story from Swami Sivananda that happened in the Life of Buddha and that contains the essence of Buddha's teaching . Here is the story - "Once Buddha went to the house of a rich Brahmin with bowl in hand. The Brahmin became very angry and said, "O Bhikshu, why do you lead an idle life of wandering and begging ? Is this not disgraceful ? You have a well-built body. You can work. I plough and sow. I work in the fields and I earn my bread at the sweat of my brow. I lead a laborious life. It would be better if you also plough and sow and then you will have plenty of food to eat". Buddha replied, "O Brahmin! I also plough and sow, and having ploughed and sown, I eat". The Brahmin said, "You say you are an agriculturist. I do not see any sign of it. Where are your plough, bullocks and seeds ?". Then Buddha replied, "O Brahmin! Just hear my words with attention. I sow the seed of faith. The good actions that I perform are the rain that waters the seeds. Viveka and Vairagya are parts of my plough. Righteousness is the handle. Meditation is the goad. Sama and Dama - tranquillity of the mind and restraint of the Indriyas (senses) - are the bullocks. Thus I plough the soil of the mind and remove the weeds of doubt, delusion, fear, birth and death. The harvest that comes in is the immortal fruit of Nirvana. All sorrows terminate by this sort of ploughing and harvesting". The rich arrogant Brahmin came to his senses. His eyes were opened. He prostrated at the feet of Buddha and became his lay adherent. " ( Source : Lord Buddha by Swami Sivananda ) .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 08:44:30 PM »
Today i.e Sat 21 May 2016 ( apart from being Buddha Purnima ) is also Vaikasi Visakam , a day auspicious for Lord Muruga

வைகாசி விசாகத்தின் சிறப்புகள் :

இந்த மாதத்தின் மிக முக்கிய விசேஷம் வைகாசி விசாகம். விசாகம், முருகனுடைய ஜென்ம நட்சத்திரம். ஆறு முகங்கள் கொண்டதால் ஷண்முகம் என்றழைக்கப்படும் முருகன் மிக விசேஷமான கடவுள். சொல்லும் பொருளும் போல இணைந்திருக்கும் சக்தியும் சிவமும் இணைந்த சொரூபம்தான் முருகன்.

?முருகா? என்று கூப்பிட்ட குரலுக்கு ஓடி வருபவன். ?முருகா? என்ற பெயரே மிகவும் சக்தி வாய்ந்தது. காரணம், ?முகுந்தன்? என்ற விஷ்ணுவின் நாமத்தில் முதல் எழுத்து.. ?ருத்ரன்? என்ற சிவனின் நாமத்தில் முதல் எழுத்து.. ?கமலன்? என்ற பிரம்மாவின் நாமத்தில் முதல் எழுத்து.. மூன்றும் சேர்ந்ததுதான் ?முருக?!

எப்போதுமே முருக வழிபாடு அழகு தரும்! அதுவும் வைகாசி விசாக தினத்தில், குமரக் கடவுளை வழிபாடு செய்தால், அகத்தின் அழகு கூடும் (அதாவது தீய எண்ணங்கள் விலகும்). உள்ளத்தூய்மை கிடைக்கும். அதன் பயனாக மோட்சம் கிட்டும்.

அதுவுமில்லாமல், வைகாசி விசாகத்தன்றுதான், 90 சதவிகித கோயில்களில் பிரம்மோத்ஸவம் நடைபெறும் என்பதும் இந்த மாதத்தின் விசேஷம்தான்!??

Source : Sakthi Vikatan

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 10:23:08 PM »

Today i.e Tue 19 July 2017 is Guru Purnima and given below is an article from Swami Sivananda on the Significance of Guru Purnima

Guru Purnima

By
Sri Swami Sivananda

THE FULL moon day in the month of Ashad (July-August) is an extremely auspicious and holy day of Guru Purnima. On this day, sacred to the memory of the great sage, Bhagavan Sri Vyasa, Sannyasins settle at some place to study and discourse on the thrice-blessed Brahma Sutras composed by Maharishi Vyasa, and engage themselves in Vedantic, philosophical investigation.

Sri Vyasa has done unforgettable service to humanity for all times by editing the four Vedas, writing the eighteen Puranas, the Mahabharata and the Srimad Bhagavata. We can only repay the deep debt of gratitude we owe him, by constant study of his works and practice of his teachings imparted for the regeneration of humanity in this iron age. In honour of this divine personage, all spiritual aspirants and devotees perform Vyasa Puja on this day, and disciples worship their spiritual preceptor. Saints, monks and men of God are honoured and entertained with acts of charity by all the householders with deep faith and sincerity. The period Chaturmas (the ?four months?) begins from this day; Sannyasins stay at one place during the ensuing four rainy months, engaging in the study of the Brahma Sutras and the practice of meditation.

Mark fully the deep significance of this great day. It heralds the setting in of the eagerly awaited rains. The water drawn up and stored as clouds in the hot summer now manifests in plentiful showers that usher in the advent of fresh life everywhere. Even so, all begin seriously to put into actual practice all the theory and philosophy that have been stored up in them through patient study. Aspirants commence or resolve to intensify with all earnestness, their practical spiritual Sadhana right from this day.

Generate fresh waves of spirituality. Let all that you have read, heard, seen and learnt become transformed, through Sadhana, into a continuous outpouring of universal love, ceaseless loving service, and continuous prayer and worship of the Lord seated in all beings.

Live on milk and fruit on this day and practise rigorous Japa and meditation. Study the Brahma Sutras and do Japa of your Guru Mantra, during the four months following the Guru Purnima. You will be highly benefited.

The day of worship of one?s preceptor, is a day of pure joy to the sincere spiritual aspirant. Thrilled by the expectation of offering his reverent homage to the beloved Guru, aspirants await this occasion with eagerness and devotion. It is the Guru alone that breaks the binding cords of attachment and releases the aspirant from the trammels of earthly existence.

The Srutis say: ?To that high-souled aspirant, whose devotion to the Lord is great and whose devotion to his Guru is as great as that to the Lord, the secrets explained herein become illuminated?. Guru is Brahman, the Absolute, or God Himself. He guides and inspires you from the innermost core of your being. He is everywhere.

Have a new angle of vision. Behold the entire universe as the form of the Guru. See the guiding hand, the awakening voice, the illuminating touch of the Guru in every object in this creation. The whole world will now stand transformed before your changed vision. The world as Guru will reveal all the precious secrets of life to you, and bestow wisdom upon you. The supreme Guru, as manifested in visible nature, will teach you the most valuable lessons of life.

Worship daily this Guru of Gurus, the Guru who taught even the Avadhuta Dattatreya. Dattatreya, regarded as God and the Guru of Gurus, considered Nature Herself as His Guru, and learnt a number of lessons from Her twenty-four creatures, and hence he is said to have had twenty-four Gurus. The silent, all-enduring earth with its lofty forbearance, the shady fruit-bearing tree with its willing self-sacrifice, the mighty banyan tree reposing with patience in the tiny seed, the drops of rain whose persistence wears away even the rocks, the planets and the seasons with their orderly punctuality and regularity were all divine Gurus to him. They who will look and listen, will learn.

Become a personification of receptivity. Empty yourself of your petty ego. All the treasures locked up in the bosom of Nature will become yours. You will progress and attain perfection in an amazingly short time. Become pure and unattached as the mountain breeze. As the river flows continuously, steadily and constantly towards its goal, the ocean, so also let your life flow ceaselessly towards the supreme state of absolute Existence-Knowledge-Bliss, by letting all your thoughts, all your words and all your actions be directed only towards the goal.

The moon shines by reflecting the dazzling light of the sun. It is the full moon on the Purnima day that reflects in full splendour the glorious light of the sun. It glorifies the sun. Purify yourself through the fire of selfless service and Sadhana, and like the full moon, reflect the glorious light of the Self. Become the full reflectors of Brahmic splendour, the light of lights. Make this your goal: ?I will be a living witness to divinity, the brilliant Sun of suns!?

The Supreme Self alone is real. He is the Soul of all. He is all-in-all. He is the essence of this universe. He is the unity that never admits of a duality under all the varieties and diversities of nature. Thou art this immortal, all-pervading, all-blissful Self. Thou art That! Realise this and be free.

Remember these four important lines of the Brahma Sutras:

1. Athatho brahma jijnasaa?Now, therefore, the enquiry of Brahman.

2. Janmasya yathah?From which proceed the origin, etc.

3. Sastra yonitwat?The scriptures are the means of right knowledge.

4. Tat tu samanvayat?For, That is the main support (of the universe).
Jaya Guru Shiva Guru Hari Guru Ram;
Jagad Guru Param Guru Sat Guru Shyam.

It is through the medium of the preceptor that the individual can raise himself to Cosmic-Consciousness.
It is through that medium that the imperfect can become perfect, the finite can become infinite and the mortal can pass into the eternal life of blessedness. The Guru is verily a link between the individual and the Immortal. He is a being who has raised himself from this to That and thus has a free and unhampered access to both realms. He stands, as it were, upon the threshold of immortality, and, bending down, he raises the struggling individuals with his one hand, and with the other, lifts them up into the kingdom of everlasting joy and infinite Truth-Consciousness.

Do you realise now the sacred significance and the supreme importance of the Guru?s role in the evolution of man? It was not without reason that the India of the past carefully tended and kept alive the lamp of Guru-Tattva. It is therefore not without reason that India, year after year, age after age, commemorates anew this ancient concept of the Guru, adores it and pays homage to it again and again, and thereby re-affirms its belief and allegiance to it. For, the true Indian knows that the Guru is the only guarantee for the individual to transcend the bondage of sorrow and death, and experience the Consciousness of the Reality.

Give up the delusive notion that to submit to the preceptor, to obey him and to carry out his instructions, is slavish mentality
. Only the ignorant man thinks that it is beneath his dignity and against his freedom to submit to another man?s command. This is a grave blunder. If you reflect carefully, you will see that your individual freedom is in reality an absolute abject slavery to your own ego and vanity. It is the vagary of the sensual mind. He who attains victory over the mind and the ego is the truly free man. He is the hero. It is to attain this victory that a man submits to the higher, spiritualised personality of the Guru. By this submission he vanquishes his lower ego and realises the bliss and freedom of the infinite Consciousness.

To strengthen and affirm the faith of the wavering man and to guarantee the attitude that is necessary for the fruition of all worship, the ancients have deified the personality of the Guru. To adore the Guru is indeed to adore the Supreme. In this world of mortality, the Guru is verily like an ambassador in an alien court. Just as an ambassador represents fully the nation to which he belongs, even so, the Guru is one who is the representative of the sublime transcendental state which he has attained. Just as to honour the ambassador is to honour the nation that he hails from, even so to worship and to offer adoration to the visible Guru is verily the direct worship and adoration of the Supreme Reality. Even as a distant tree though it cannot be seen is nevertheless known by the fragrance its fully-bloomed flowers waft far and wide, so also, the Guru is the divine flower who disseminates the Atmic aroma of divinity in this world, and thus proclaims the immortal Lord who is invisible to the physical eye. He is the standing witness to the Supreme Self, the counterpart of the Lord on earth, and through worship of him one attains the Self.

Remember and adore Sri Vyasa and the Gurus who are fully established in knowledge of the Self. May their blessings be upon you! May you cut asunder the knot of ignorance and shine as blessed sages shedding peace, joy and light everywhere!

At the Sivananda Ashram, Rishikesh, the Guru Purnima is celebrated every year on a grand scale. Many devotees and aspirants come from all parts of the country.

1. All aspirants awake at Brahmamuhurta, at 4 o?clock. They meditate on the Guru and chant his prayers.

2. Later in the day, the sacred worship of the Guru?s Feet is performed. Of this worship it is said in the Guru Gita:
Dhyaana moolam guror murtih;
Pooja moolam guror padam;
Mantra moolam guror vakyam;
Moksha moolam guror kripa

?The Guru?s form should be meditated upon; the feet of the Guru should be worshipped; his words are to be treated as a sacred Mantra; his Grace ensures final liberation?.

3. Sadhus and Sannyasins are then worshipped and fed at noon.

4. There is continuous Satsang during which discourses are held on the glory of devotion to the Guru in particular, and on spiritual topics in general.

5. Deserving aspirants are initiated into the Holy Order of Sannyas, as this is a highly auspicious occasion.

6. Devout disciples fast and spend the whole day in prayer. They also take fresh resolves for spiritual progress.

Wake up at Brahmamuhurta (at 4 a.m.) on this most holy day. Meditate on the lotus feet of your Guru. Mentally pray to him for his Grace, through which alone you can attain Self-realisation. Do vigorous Japa and meditate in the early morning hours.

After bath, worship the lotus feet of your Guru, or his image or picture with flowers, fruits, incense and camphor.

Fast or take only milk and fruits the whole day.

In the afternoon, sit with other devotees of your Guru and discuss with them the glories and teachings of your Guru.

Alternatively, you may observe the vow of silence and study the books or writings of your Guru, or mentally reflect upon his teachings.

Take fresh resolves on this holy day, to tread the spiritual path in accordance with the precepts of your Guru.

At night, assemble again with other devotees, and sing the Names of the Lord and the glories of your Guru.

The best form of worship of the Guru is to follow his teachings, to shine as the very embodiment of his teachings, and to propagate his glory and his message.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 03:08:42 PM »
Aadiperukku (Pathinettam perukku)/ How do we celebrate Aadiperukku?

http://www.subbuskitchen.com/2009/08/aadiperukku-pathinettam-perukku.html#.V6BpITWE2mZ

Tamil Month Aadi, marks the beginning of monsoon in TamilNadu. During this month, water levels in the rivers increases due to monsoon. To show our gratitude to the nature and to thank Mother Cauvery river, we celebrate Aadiperukku. Adiperukku is a unique South Indian and specially a Tamil state festival celebrated on the 18th day of the Tamil month of Aadi.

AadiPerukku falls on 2nd or 3rd of August every year. Hence "Padinettam perukku" - Padinettu signifies eighteen, and Perukku denotes rising. This festival is observed predominately by women in Tamil Nadu. The Aadiperukku, as a water-ritual, celebrated by women is said to honour Nature. In this auspicious day, Goddess Parvathi Devi is worshipped by offer of different rice dishes. Offerings of flowers, Akshata and rice offerings are done into sacred rivers like Cauveri. As per Purana, Parvathi devi meditated upon Lord Siva to see the divine vision and Lord Siva appeared as Shanka-Naraya swami. The avatar of Shri Bhooma devi also is believed to have taken place during this month.

Usually the water will be released from the reservoirs well before the start of Adi perukku, the water will be available in all the rivers and branches. People take holy dip in the water and they perform the poojas at the bathing ghats along the river. After the pooja, they will have the 'Kalandha Sadham' (Variety rices) along with the family in the river bank.

This time Aadiperukku falls on 2nd of August 2016