Author Topic: Panic attack from extremely slowed down mind  (Read 5901 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Panic attack from extremely slowed down mind
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 09:13:59 AM »
Sadhak/James/Nagaraj,
Good posts.James said it succinctly:
"However, Maharshi was aware that "do nothing" was not suited to most people, they required words and practices: be still, self inquiry, meditation, japa, prayer, yoga etc."

I totally concur with this.....There have been devotees(even 'great ones' among them) who have created a bit of confusion(I know this would raise eyebrows and I need to tread carefully here...ha,ha) in saying that although Bhagavan admitted other approaches,he 'chiefly' advocated 'self-enquiry' ,and they have added some 'Dogmatic' opinions on this......and in this regard I would like to point out that Sri Annamalai swami always used to couple 'self-enquiry' plus 'Looking upon everyone as Atma Swarupa'(To have this attitude or bhava).....Never even once in my association with him, has he omitted  emphasizing the looking upon everyone as atma swarupa.......This is an integral approach.

I have to also say that no one explained the essence and practice of self-enquiry as clearly as Sri Annamalai Swami.(He avoided the dogmatic ideas that a few other devotees of Bhagavan seemed to espouse)

The other Myth that some people carry is that dissolution of the Ego has to be accompanied by 'Fear' ....in other words the last leap into the Self is through 'Fear'.Towards this,they bring in a few stories of chadwick,etc ;not to mention that it was fear of death that drove Bhagavan to enquire and spontaneously realize the Self-that is the manner it happened to Bhagavan but it does not mean that is the 'Definitive' way for all.

This sort of an idea is entertained, despite the fact that we go to 'sleep' every night without experiencing any fear whatsoever......the letting 'go' of the 'ego' may be as smooth as that.

The idea of  'Great Fear' as a very significant milestone has gathered so much strength and popularity that it has almost come to be 'revered' and 'elevated' to a 'Pre-Realization' stage....ha,ha...and I have encountered some people who have narrated this 'Near Realization' experience and are carrying on with an idea  that 'Realization' is somewhere 'round the corner' and the very next time around such a fear arises they would make it.

If we tell them 'Please forget all this as a Dream and be Earnest in your attempts'....they tend to either get offended thinking that we are jealous  ....or they tend to ignore, shrugging the 'response' as having come from someone who has no 'inkling' of the practice of 'self-enquiry'.

James said well to reiterate this:
Ramana Maharshi suggested we should ignore all such experiences, and direct attention to the Source from whence it arose.

2whomHasThisThought Arisen .....you are indeed most fortunate to have been attracted to this spiritual path....and the yearning for satsangha......We wish you the very best....and please do continue to participate here and share your understanding and conviction.

Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 09:39:24 AM »
Friends,
Nagaraj has said well and given some invaluable pointers......I do know that for a seeker coming from another cultural background,some of it may seem a bit outlandinsh(although in truth it is not).
I concur with nagaraj ,one hundred percent....What I invariably do is to recommend  'The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna'.
The reason why I recommend it is .....not because I adore 'Sri Ramakrishna' above 'Sri Bhagavan'(I have long back overcome such silly and kiddish ideas....Never ever had them....so ,no need to overcome...ha,ha) and wish to propagate 'Sri Ramakrishna & his Gospel'..........like the way many of our christian bretheren go from door to door spreading 'The Good news'...........No,none of it.
It is just this......that it is an invaluable resource that helps any aspirant,whatever be the path.........and many of the Devotees of Sri Bhagavan also had read it and been inspired by it..........It is a perennial source of inspiration and the sheer universality,intensity and Depth and vastness of the approach would help clear the unconscious biases that almost anyone harbors........and this intself would free one from cobwebs and frog in the well mentality.

I would like to point one last thing...Many of the spiritual Truths have to be learnt by associating with Great ones......this association helps to clear unconscious biases and hidden weaknesses.....and do take advantage of any such association..........I know quite a few who in the name of being dedicated to 'Guru' would avoid taking advantage of Holy association.......these very same people would not mind standing in the queue and meeting any person in power towards furthering their worldly position and priorities.

In general ....to put it briefly.....people apply less of common sense when it comes to the spiritual domain than they do in the everyday living......The advice that I received from one of my early mentors and 'Guru' as well(Guru is not a person),Kavi Yogi Shuddhananda Bharati is 'Embrace everything and do not be attached to anyone or any ashram'.......There is no better Sage advice than this.

Namaskar.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 10:53:34 AM »
d: I am already realiced.

cguru: I see you have understood the true meaning of realisation. It is not about there and thereafter, but here and now.

d: It is not that.

cguru: Then?

d: I did not say I am already realised, I said that I am already realiced.

cguru: What does that mean?

d: While trying to realise I have become real-ice, that is, almost frozen.

cguru: Sometimes it is difficult to understand your condition.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 06:16:19 PM »
Humour apart, all sincere effort towards the realisation of God adds up. Nothing goes to waste. Each has his / her own set of experiences which may not match with others. God as the in-dweller in the heart tells that everything is fine, keep going.

Physical discomfort does not matter. Many saints have faced physical discomforts. They may only be making the passage way for the divine consciousness to manifest.

All sincere sadhana is bound to give result, however slow it is. God will guide and correct any mistakes.

For self-enquiry, the grace of Arunachala and Ramana is there, like a mountain. Keeping the mind deeply immersed in them will make the sadhana easier.

Jai Arunachala Shiva, Jai Arunachala Ramana
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 08:44:06 AM »
All will surely realize God. All will be liberated. It may be that some get their meal in the morning, some at noon, and some in the evening: but none will go without food. All, without any exception, will certainly know their real Self.

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna