Author Topic: Panic attack from extremely slowed down mind  (Read 3350 times)

sam cope

• View Profile
    • Mindfulcentering.org
Panic attack from extremely slowed down mind
« on: April 21, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:08:02 AM by 2WhomHasThisThoughtArisen »
Mindfulcentering.org

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
Re: Panic attack from extremely slowed down mind
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 10:29:56 PM »
dear Friend,
It is a sign of approaching self realization.The ego is unwilling to relinquish its 'hold'.
Alan Chadwick had a similar experience. Suggest to read a Sadhu's Reminiscences of Ramana Maharshi(Alan Chadwick's narration of his remembrance of BHAGWAN). ,.
Trying to bring focus on 'I' by saying who is having the fear is the  solution as Shri Anil repetedly emphasizes on this forum as a cure for all ills. It should be gently done focusing once again on the 'I'.
The fear will go away and peace will take its place.
Regards,
Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

James

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 01:58:10 AM »
Ignore the comment, "It is a sign of approaching self realization", it will only fatten the ego.

If you are sincere about self-inquiry and not merely attemting to attract attention
do as Ramana Maharshi says and find the the Source of the 'i' that claims all these experiences,
experiences of mind, body and world are all egoic and not-Self, disregard them and attend to the Source

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 08:43:08 AM »
I quite agree with James.Quite often self indulgence is mistaken for serious sadhana......For almost 99.9999........ % of seekers,it is important to first plant their feet firmly on terra firma......face the situations that are out there....live out life,earn a living honestly,take charge of one's life.......and one can and should carry out sadhana amidst these activities......If one is ripe enough,the outer activities will fall away without one having to desert it........the hollowness of the 'i',the doer has to be seen through  these activities,and this in itself would bring about the desired ripeness.
A life of 'exclusive meditation' may only lead to idleness and confusion......The solitude that one yearns for has to be found amidst carrying  business in the world.Ashrams or retreats may be resorted to for gathering inspiration,serious introspection,etc.....but the same has to be leavened through active and purposeful striving in the world stage.

Vairagya is not detachment but non attachment.Viveka is discrimination and this is to sift things that are temporal from that which is Essential,paying attention to both.Bhakti(Devotion) is to keep the inner flame alive even when one is caught up in outer activities and Jnana is when the Bhakti matures as total freedom from the temporal(inwardly).These four aspects are best served by living a life with earnestness and unflinching sense of purpose,even if it demands a plunge into so called hell.

To keep things simple.....examine if there is any sort of shying away from everyday living......and put the house in order.......sadhana is essentially an inner change in attitude and sense of values,not a withdrawal from everyday living.

Namaskar
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 06:36:26 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 08:09:38 AM »
my panic attack further extremely shortened my breath to the point I was able to be at zero breathing , I felt no feeling  of anything from my heart , a tight hole in my belly that was making it even harder to try to breathe, and my left hand was losing any feeling

Most often this is a sign of forcible suppression of thoughts and emotions and is to be avoided.....The mind has to calm down and not slow down.....and when the mind calms down,the breath will be very light and one may not perceive whether one is exhaling or inhaling unless one pays attention to it.....and the breathing will be long,deep and even and rhythmic......the body also will be felt quite light and nimble.....importantly the mind will not be empty but steeped in calm and contentment.....will be serene like a flame in a windless place.

Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 01:02:23 PM »
my panic attack further extremely shortened my breath to the point I was able to be at zero breathing , I felt no feeling  of anything from my heart , a tight hole in my belly that was making it even harder to try to breathe, and my left hand was losing any feeling

Most often this is a sign of forcible suppression of thoughts and emotions and is to be avoided.....The mind has to calm down and not slow down.....and when the mind calms down,the breath will be very light and one may not perceive whether one is exhaling or inhaling unless one pays attention to it.....and the breathing will be long,deep and even and rhythmic......the body also will be felt quite light and nimble.....importantly the mind will not be empty but steeped in calm and contentment.....will be serene like a flame in a windless place.

Dear Sri Ravi,

Yes, there is no doubt about the verity of the observations you have made as above. However, I wish to respond to your post in detail under the thread 'Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan.......', for  I do not have any wish to engage in discussion in any other thread in  this forum, because I never considered myself competent to advise  or teach anyone. 
However, as for breath getting shortened, I wish to say that this is sometimes caused by the fear which one experiences when one has the momentary glimpse of the Infinite Reality during Sadhana, and one is not yet ready to steady such divine experiences. In such circumstances one needs to push the Enquiry further deeper by asking, 'To whom is the fear?', and thus keep the focus of the entire attention onto oneself, with love for the Self.  However, I agree that when one attempts to suppress the thoughts and emotions forcibly, ego may panic resulting in shortened breath. I do not know what exactly has been Sri 'Whom's mode of practice which caused panic and shortened breath.  Enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is a gentle method, and, in my view, if one adheres strictly to that, questions of panic or shortened breath cannot arise at all. 

Thanks very much. 
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:05:04 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

sam cope

• View Profile
    • Mindfulcentering.org
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 08:42:43 AM »

Dear Sri Ravi,

However, as for breath getting shortened, I wish to say that this is sometimes caused by the fear which one experiences when one has the momentary glimpse of the Infinite Reality during Sadhana, and one is not yet ready to steady such divine experience.

This. It was the infinite, it was the unchanging.  it was also an intense pressure in the head but I was too afraid it was death, and I had to stop it. With a great spark of fear I threw my arms up into the air so as to snap out of it.

The conditions was a new devotee walking into the ashram sitting area and me sitting with purpose in his being. As other thoughts arose, one pointed control with repeating who am I.

Sat sang contact and attention on a single thought were the conditions.
My mind has a burning desire for contact with spiritual devotees, and it got it.
I cannot share in personal stories or small talk. I need the conscious presence of the spiritual human being. With enough attraction, my being can be brought immediately into the greatest depths of stillness.
Mindfulcentering.org

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 08:51:34 AM »
Friends,
May I ask you what you mean by 'Infinite'?Thanks.
Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 09:11:46 AM »
Warmly recommend this video interview of Sri Annamalai Swami:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqwebTmlocw

sam cope

• View Profile
    • Mindfulcentering.org
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 09:23:03 AM »
It was momentary, mind was stopped because it met its desires of being in an ashram and having presence contact with a spiritually attractive devotee. It did not need to think any more about planning future to achieve sat sang, vasanas were gone, it was not possible to put attention on an object ,It was most striking how beyond impersonal it was, it was as if I died but death did not mean the end of existence. I didn't want to hold it steady because it was too scary, it was like the feeling of my foot falling asleep, but it was my existence falling asleep, and with such intense fear and dissapearance of any sense of I, I had to jerk myself out of it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:28:05 AM by 2WhomHasThisThoughtArisen »
Mindfulcentering.org

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 09:05:43 PM »
yes , fear of death is at the bottom of it .
if you want to know what to do to overcome the fear .... do nothing
surrender to never being able to avoid it.
let the fear in all the way . fall into the fear till you are at the very core of it.
there is a surprise waiting for you there..... lol
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 09:57:57 PM »
Fear is a thought and if one has stilled thought where is the question of fear?

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 02:40:46 AM »
Why only fear?  Desire, anxiety, jealousy, etc etc are all the work of thought.  When the mind had ended or died there is no question of any of these. But the presence of any of these means the mind is very much alive, perhaps subdued.

James

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 03:14:01 AM »
yes , fear of death is at the bottom of it .
if you want to know what to do to overcome the fear .... do nothing
surrender to never being able to avoid it.
let the fear in all the way . fall into the fear till you are at the very core of it.
there is a surprise waiting for you there..... lol
 :)

"do nothing" is the highest teaching. Ramana Maharshi demonstrated this through Silence. A rare few, by merely being in His presence, and the Silence would deliver them.

However, Maharshi was aware that "do nothing" was not suited to most people, they required words and practices: be still, self inquiry, meditation, japa, prayer, yoga etc.

Fear is a thought and if one has stilled thought where is the question of fear?

Why only fear?  Desire, anxiety, jealousy, etc etc are all the work of thought.  When the mind had ended or died there is no question of any of these. But the presence of any of these means the mind is very much alive, perhaps subdued.

I agree Ravi and Sadhak, these are only when the ego is active. Ramana Maharshi suggested we should ignore all such experiences, and direct attention to the Source from whence it arose. Namely, the space between thoughts.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 07:17:01 AM »
Dear 2WhomHasThisThoughtArisen,

All of us need Bhakti Jnana and Vairagya together in equal proportions. If there is only One without the other or Two without the other, then there will be disturbance. If a sapling has to sprout and grow, it needs the grace of Sun Light, Water, and soil, only then will it shine! Similarly, Jnaana, mental exercise needs to be supplemented by little singing and dancing, i.e. Sing Bhajans, express yourself, write, go out and look around the bright beautiful world, hear the sounds of the nature, the birds chirping, the trees moving in the breeze, the child laughing and crying, see how the nature copes with various things in its bosom, the beauty of nature in one hand and also at the same time the pollution of nature at the other hand.

We need Bhaava in our Sadhana, all the obstacles we face are blessings in disguise so that we may better ourselves. Gita says, Shanaih Shanaih Uparamet, sloowly.... gradually.... progress!!! there is no hurry, there is no goal as such... therefore, intelligently, uddaret Atmanaatmaanam, uplift yourself by yourself.

Complement yourself by easing out yourself, chill out, go out with your friends, break open the coconut. Have good food, if you are compromising your food eating in the name of eating satvic food for spiritual reasons, do not over do it! It is one grave madness prevailing in spiritual world! This Satvic food is over used in spiritual world today, one needs good nutritional food, one should not avoid eating healthy in the name of having satvic food, so eat well. eat your favorite food, go to your favorite restaurant and enjoy! Come out of this shell! Only you have to! It is easy to be fooled in this world, be it worldly or spiritually... therefore BECOME WISE.... RECOGNISE THIS QUICKLY! ELSE IT WILL BE TOO LATE, years are counting!!!

Spiritual exercise should make you happier, if not then there must be something wrong, we need to re look it from above once again. Swami Vivekananda Said:

"No more weeping, but stand on your feet and be men. It is a man-making religion that we want. It is man-making theories that we want. It is man-making education all round that we want. And here is the test of truth ? anything that makes you weak physically, intellectually, and spiritually, reject as poison; there is no life in it, it cannot be true. Truth is strengthening. Truth is purity, truth is all-knowledge; truth must be strengthening, must be enlightening, must be invigorating. These mysticisms, in spite of some grains of truth in them, are generally weakening. Believe me, I have a lifelong experience of it, and the one conclusion that I draw is that it is weakening."

I am always inspired by this beautiful story from Bhagavata Mahatmyam, it appears in Padma Purana. The Essence of it is that, one needs Bhakti - Jnana and Vairagya all together, if one or two is lacking without the other(s) then there will be depression or distress mentally or physically.

See the link below and follow up the pages to complete the story :

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum_2/index.php?topic=7224.30;wap2

Do not waste this beautiful life in name of spirituality and self realisation (the irony of it) we need spirituality and self realisation, but in a beautiful manner. Sanathana Dharma foundation is Dharma Artha Kama Moksha.

LIVE LIFE WELL

Do not get lost. Re look within and only you need to fix yourself with dexterity! Yogah Karmasukaushalam.

Do not get lost in spiritual forests! Dear friend, there is quite a bit of MADNESS in spirituality, BE VIGILANT, INTELLIGENT, LOOK AROUND AND BE INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO HEAR THE VOICE OF THE LORD!

fix yourself, the grace of GURU is always audible!

Swami Vivekananda : "You will be nearer to heaven playing football than studying the Bhagavad-Gita.?

God bless!!!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:26:01 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta