Author Topic: My Guru - Jayaraman Rajah Iyer: Mountain Path - April - June 2016:  (Read 1108 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
In October 1968 and I was 12 years old.  My parents, elder sister and I had come to Madras, from Pune,
to attend a cousin's wedding after which we went to Chengam, near Tiruvannamalai, where my uncle was
working in Tamil Nadu Electricity Board as Assistant Engineer. One evening, he took us to Arunachaleswarar
Temple and then to Sri Ramanasramam where we were cordially invited and told that we could have dinner
after the evening Puja.

Soon the evening Puja and Veda paraynam at Bhagavan's Samadhi commenced and I began to watch the
proceedings with interest.  What struck me was the presence of several foreigners among the devotees,
wearing Indian attire and keenly attending the Puja. This was the first time that I had seen so many foreigners
in, what I assumed was a Hindu place of worship!

Presently, a couple walked in.  The man, who was unmistakably 'English', was dressed in a spotless white
dhoti, while his European wife was dressed in a sari.  There was a serene look on the man's face which,
at that time, I was too young to notice clearly, but which I now recall vividly in retrospect. I was seated with
my back to the wall in the gentleman's half of the hall, while the couple sat in front of me and a little to my
left, but facing Bhagavan's Samadhi and watching the Puja.  They seemed to take no notice of me.  Those were
the times, when I was filled with nationalist feelings and hatred for everything British.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: My Guru - Jayaraman Rajah Iyer: Mountain Path - April - June 2016:
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 11:29:42 AM »
What infuriated me was the fact that a number of Hindus were saying 'Namaste' to the Englishman,  who
was returning the greeting. 'What is going on here?'  I began to wonder. 'How can these Indians / Hindus
be so naive?  Why are they showing such respect to this Englishman?  Have they forgotten so soon the
atrocities his people committed on our country?  Who is this Englishman by the way?  Whom is he trying
to impress by wearing Indian dress?  Could he be an agent of the East India Company?  He should be
thrashed and chased out of my country!'  These were the precise thoughts going through my mind.
Just then, to my utter shock, the Englishman slowly turned, looked at me and smiled.  I was stunned!

Here I am entertaining the most hostile thoughts about a man and he was smiling at me as though he
knew what was going in my mind.  Both shocked and embarrassed, I quickly turned my face away.
Seeing him smile, his wife asked him what the matter was and he whispered something to her. Then
she too looked at me, laughed and nodded!  I immediately concluded that this was a dangerous place
and wanted to get away quickly!  My rational mind refused to believe that my thoughts could have been
read and I was too young then, to know that this was no big deal for a realized person.  On reaching home,
I kept on asking my father why the Englishman had smiled at me.  Just to shut me up, he said, 'May be
because you are good looking. Why don't you think of something else?'

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 11:57:35 AM »
Soon the incident was forgotten and my next visit to Sri Ramanasramam was in October 2001, a clean
33 years later!  After the 11th September attack of 2001, I was one of the many software professionals
who lost their job.  As often is this case, adversity makes you turn Godward!  This time, I got accommodation
at the Asramam for four days.  I bought a couple of books by one Arthur Osborne at the Asramam bookstall.
and started going through the same.  At once I was struck by the author's sincerity and lucid style of writing.
Then, when standing in the queue, at the Asramam dining hall, for my cup of tea in the afternoon, my eyes
fell on the photographs of some ardent devotees of Bhagavan, including that of Arthur Osborne, who looked
vaguely familiar.  But I dismissed the thought from my mind.  Again the next day, while waiting at the queue,
the familiarity puzzled me.  Then the whole thing came back to me in a flash -- the encounter I had had
with the Osborne couple, in 1968! 

I began to read, nay study, every book by Osborne, even taking down copious notes.  I tried to practice
meditation as taught by Bhagavan and so lucidly explained by Osborne in his various books and articles.
My love for Bhagavan and Osborne began to grow, by the day.  Whenever I got struck in meditation,
all I had to do was to pray to Bhagavan and then browse through a book of Osborne and I would find
the necessary encouragement to continue the practice.  Indeed, Osborne's My Life and Quest is a bible
for every spiritual aspirant and a must read for every family man, with a spiritual aspirations.  The message of the book simply is that any human being,  whether a Sannyasi or a householder can realize the Self,
provided one keeps up self inquiry, preserving with tenacity, despite setbacks and hurdles on the path.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 11:55:25 AM »
Now turning to Bhagavan's teaching, 'Who am I? I feel it is not merely a meditation technique, but a
way of life.  I am elated or disappointed at a turn of events -- who am I?  I am flattered or hurt by
another's action or words -who am I? I am impatient at the progress I am making in meditation -
who is impatient?  I am disappointed at my children not heeding my advice - who is disappointed?

After practicing thus for sometime, the answer begins to appear within oneself as a 'current of awareness',
which one needs to cultivate and nurture.  One then finds one's whole life transformed, with peace
pervading every walk of one's life.  Does it eventually lead to self realization?  But why this doubt -
who is the doubter? Who am I?  One's job is only to persevere. Grace would flow in, when one is ripe
enough to receive it.  As Bhagavan repeatedly exhorted His devotees -- all that is required of one is jut
BE, not to be this or that.

There was a time, when like many of the present generation, I deeply regretted not having met and interacted
with Bhagavan. But no longer.  The books by Osborne and other devotees  are ever available to give every
sincere devotee all the encouragement and guidance that they may need on the spiritual path.  The discontent
has fallen away and the quest has begun in right earnest.  Thank you Bhagavan and than you Osborne!

concluded.

Arunachala Siva.