Author Topic: Aksharamanamalai Celebrations - important pointers  (Read 2850 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Aksharamanamalai Celebrations - important pointers
« on: March 29, 2016, 02:16:26 PM »
Dear Friends

I was fortunate to attend the Valedictory Celebrations of Aksharamanamalai Centenary Year 2015 in Chennai on Sun 27 March 2016 and sharing the essence of the talks of the various speakers and devotees who spoke on that Occassion .

Valedictory Celebrations of Aksharamanamalai Centenary Year 2015

Date : Sun 27 March 2016
Place : West Mambalam ,Chennai

Organized by :
Sri Ramana Bhaktha Samajam ,Chennai

The main points talked by various speakers and I have summarised the same :

1) Arunchala Akshara Mana Malai ( AAMM ) is equal to the Vedas as just like the Vedic Mantras were revelaed to the Rishis and were not not contemplated and written by them AAMM was also  revealed to Bhagavan Ramana in a similar way .

2) Chanting of AAMM is equal to chanting of the Vedas and where ever there is Vedic Chanting done ( in a Ramana Satsang ) it is incomplete if it is not concluded with AAMM .In this context a real life example was shared where one great Vedic Scholar from Sanskrit Collage ( who is still alive and was very Close to Kanchi Mahaswamigal ) ,Chennai was asked to preside over the Vedic Chanting function Organized by one Bhagavan Satsang group and that Vedic Scholar himself advised them to chant AAMM at the end of every Vedic Chanting and told it is equal to Vedas .

3) People who cannot chant Vedas as they are in Sanskrit or need special training , inititaion to chant them can take solace from the fact that AAMM is itself a Vedic Hymn and has the same power and potential to bestow blessings on the devotees who chant them with devotion .

4) Some of the people who spoke mentioned the various miracles that happened when they chanted AAMM during their time of distress but told people not to chant AAMM for the miracles alone .

5) Lots of people have written commentaries on AAMM and still people will continue to write and every commentary has its own validity but Bhagavan Ramana refused to give any specific meaning to the verses of AAMM saying the meaning is in "chanting of AAMM " i.e chant daily and explore the meaning / see the results for yourself . But for people really intersted in understanding the indepth meaning of AAMM they were asked to refer Sri Muruganar's works and it seems all of Muruganars thousands of poems in Tamil on Bhagavan Ramana are mainly an expansion of the AAMM i.e AAMM is the seed and Muruganar's Tamil works are the tree that sprouted from the seed and in fact after reading AAMM only Muruganar was drawn to Bhagavan Ramana .
But for those who cant go through the works of Sri Muruganar the next best is to refer Kanakammal's works on AAMM as Kanakammal spent lot of time with Muruganar and mastered all of Bhavagan's Tamil works . Now the Ashram has also brought out Kanakammal's english translation of the same .

6) Devotees of Bhagavan need not feel dejected that Bhagavan is no more in Physical form and that they have missed meeting him in real life as Bhagavan presence can be felt even now if they visit the Ramana Ashram and for those who cant do that having a picture of Bhagavn  and looking at it daily with devotion one can feel Bhagavan's presence as Bhagavan's eyes have the power to give "Chakshu Deeksha"(i.e initiation through his magnetic eyes ) .

So keeping the picture of Bhagavan and daily chanting AAMM is a wonderful sadhana in itself .

7) Better to chant AAMM daily , more better to Chant AAMM with the refrain daily and once you chant with the refrain then it means one chants the word Arunachala 1000 times . The verses are 108 in no and after chanting these 108 verses with refrain it means completing one Ashtottaram ( 108 ) and one Sahasranamam ( 1000 names  ) of Aruncahala .

8 ) Some general advice to devotees :
i) After coming to Bhagavan one must insulate oneself from praise and criticism espeically criticism and not worry much about being criticized by others , upest about not getting much respect or some form of recogntion for the work , help done to others etc .

ii) Also one must remember that after coming to Bhagavn one must not quit one's domestic duties claiming one has become spiritual and will only sit and meditate the whole day . No doubt one must slowly avoid un-ncessary and un-productive activities but must still continue to do the day to day duties at one's home or office but work with the attitude that "I am only an instrument " and do not take the burden of ownership of your own work . Bhagavn's own example of doing lot of labor work in the ashram i.e getting up early in morning , cutting vegetables in the kitchen , feeding the cows  ,attending to all the devottes  even at Old age etc should be remembered .

iii) Try to attend Bhagavan's satsang whenever it is possible and you can see slowly the positive effects of the same in your own life .If attending satsang is not possible listen to talks and lectures on Bhagavan , Arunachala . Listening ( i.e Shravanam ) is more beneficial .
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:31:02 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Aksharamanamalai Celebrations - important pointers
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 11:24:49 AM »
An Excellent Pic of Arunachala Hill I found on one Sri Ramana FaceBook page

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 11:40:47 AM »
Slow and meditative chanting of the Arunachala Siva Maha Mantra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6WWVMd05M8

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 10:09:48 PM »
Dear Atmavichar100

Very nice posting AAMM and its chanting
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya