Author Topic: Guru Ramana Vachana Malai - by Lakshmana Sarma - 'WH0'  (Read 8214 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Guru Ramana Vachana Malai - by Lakshmana Sarma - 'WH0'
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 11:07:30 AM »
The  Quest of the Self:

144.  The Sadhaka who has learned to discriminate between the real and the unreal, and desires to win
liberation from the bondage of relative existence, which consists in the false ego-sense, is worthy to
receive the teaching.

145.  The highest teaching of the Vedanta, free from doubts, is the state of Supreme Silence, brought
about by the unification of the Transcendent and the individual soul which is the ego.

146.  For the very earnest Sadhakas who are free from desires, (of worldly advantage) the inquiry into
the real nature of the being, denoted by the word 'Thou', is alone sufficient for the winning of liberation,
without any inquiry into the truth of the Being denoted by the word 'That'.

147.  Revelation added the words 'That' and 'art' in order to help to turn inwards the minds of the other
Sadhakas, whose mentality is unripe, not for anything else.

148.  Oh, mind, thou hast already suffered, thinking 'I am a Jiva'; do not fall into worse delusion by
believing 'I am Brahman'; in the Transcendental State there is no one answering to the name of
'I'.   

149. Man behaves recklessly, even while believing 'I am this very little body';  if he begins to think
'I am that Supreme  One' will anything remain which he would consider wrong to do?

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 01:44:41 PM »
150.  The true nature of the real Self in its purity is, the unqualified consciousness, 'I am';
therefore (the Sadhaka) should meditate, 'I am' without any predicate - earnestly and constantly.

151. The One and only Reality can be experienced only by those that attain peace by stilling the mind's
movements;  it is beyond the reach of those whose minds are restless.

152.  The state of liberated Being can be reached only by dying;  but dying does not consist in destruction
of the body;  one should understand that the true death is the extinction of the ideas 'mine'  and 'I'.

153.  Thou are not the physical body, nor the vital energies, nor sense organs, nor the mind nor the
reasoning faculty, nor the ego, when the original sin, which consists in identifying oneself with any
of these, is given up.

154.  The mind is led to perfect quiescence in the Heart through the Quest of the Real Self in the form
of the question 'Who am I?', when the world appearance ceases. That Being which shines as 'I AM' is the
Real Self.

155. After understanding the above substance of the teachings of the Vedanta, which is very subtle,
one should engage in the Quest of the Real Self, in order to win Liberation through quiescence of the
mind.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 11:21:20 AM »
156:  All human thoughts are strong upon the thread of the thought 'I am this body.'  All thoughts thereforer
will cease if one dives into the Heart, seeking the practical answer to the question - 'Who may I be?'

157.  If all the thought waves of the mind become stilled in this way, then the Truth of oneself (Real Self)
shines forth itself as 'I-I', the ego dies and happiness is patent.

158.  The Resolve to see the Real Self in the Heart, by mind concentrated on the question 'Who am I?' is the
Quest, but not an intellectual conviction about the Self reached by reasoning.

159.  This State of Self Realization cannot be attained by any method, aside from the Quest in the Heart -
neither lots of action, nor breath regulation, nor any other device.

160.  Though stillness of the mind may result from breath regulation or other such practice, the mind
is not finally stilled by any of these, as it is by the Quest of the Truth of oneself.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 10:14:14 AM »
Verse  161:

Without the inquiry into the true nature of 'the doer', and so on, they speak of paths of four kinds in
the world, namely the Yogas of action, and so forth, for the doer, the one that is sundered from God,
the one that is bereaved of the Self, and the one that is conscious of being) ignorant, and aspires to
right knowledge.

Verse 162:

The State of being the Real Self, which is won by the Quest 'Who is the doer?' or 'Who is the separated
one?' or 'Who is the fallen one?' or 'Who is the ignorant one?',  is itself all the four paths.

Verse 163:

In this wise the immense superiority of the path of Vichara (Quest of the Self) has been clearly shown
by the Guru (Ramana);  therefore this path, namely the Quest of the Self taught by Him, is the greatest
of all the Yogas.  (Maha Yoga).

Verse 164:

Understand that the conviction that the universe has its being in the infinite sky of consciousness, namely
the Self, is the firm seat for practicing mental peace.

Verse 165:

So long as the ego is alive, the complexes of threes also appear;  one should persevere in the practice
of the Quest so long as these complexes appear.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 09:58:19 AM »
166.  By fixity of the mind on the Real Self you should conquer both the pleasure and the pain arising
from the good and evil deeds of your past in the course of life in the world.

167.  True subjugation of the mind is being the pure consciousness (which one really is), by the dissolution
of the delusion 'I am the mind', which comes when the mind's activities are stilled.

168. Real breath regulation is the being of the Enlightened One in his own real Nature, by rejecting the
mind's habit of seeing the world as real and persisting in the Quest of the Self.

169.  Those who have devoted themselves to the Quest of the Self never stray aside from the path
through error; the path of the Quest leads them on to the Supreme State by its own light, like the Sun.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 12:45:25 PM »
The Conduct of the Sadhaka:

170.  Since Non remembrance of the Real Self is itself death, the only observance binding on the seeker
of the Self is taking care not to forget, and no other.

171.  Since observances do help, the seeker should honor them;  but if and when they become
hindrances to the practice of the Quest, he should then omit them.

172.  Since the doing of one's own routine duties conduce to the forgetting of the Self, is it necessary
to warn him that he should not engage in actions concerning others?

173.  Though the Sadhakas may inadvertently disobey the injunctions of sacred lore, he should not,
as a faithful disciple, be guilty of setting at naught what the Guru tells him.

174.  The mightiest tapas (mental disciplines) is to remain at peace, giving up egoism and the notion
of doership in actions, by the understanding that God does everything.

175.  Though thus resigned to God's will, the Sadhakas should make efforts in the practice of the right
method taught by the Guru, so long as he does not cease to be a Sadhaka by the extinction of the ego.

176.  Though there are many injunctions to be observed,  the injunction to eat rightly is declared to be
sufficient for the Sadhakas to win the goal of the State of the Real Self, since it enhances the quality of
Sattva.       

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 10:44:32 AM »
177.  Bhagavan Ramana has stated that the belly curses those that eat without giving time for it
to rest and recuperate.

178.  The rule regarding taking food is that one should allow time enough for the belly (i.e. the stomach
and other organs of digestion) to recuperate, and after that, when hunger comes, should eat mesured
and Sattvic food.

179.  Meditation on a Name or Word, worship of the forms of God and the like do help in the practice
of the Quest, by rooting out the old taints of the mind.

180.  As the restlessness of the elephant's trunk is checked by a chain held by the elephant, so the
restlessness of the mind is corrected by meditation on Names and Forms.

181.  Never does desire for enjoyment abate by indulgence.  On the other hand it waxes more and more,
as fire does with oblations.  Remembering this one should be wary.   

182.  So long as the ego is not dead, humility alone is good for a Sadhak; acceptance of obeisance
from others is not good.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 10:43:16 AM »
183:  Since what is light floats on water, and what is heavy goes down, it follows that superiority is
not to be inferred from being in a high position, nor inferiority from being in a low one - in a worldly sense.

184. The Sadhaka who has given up the notion of the body being himself and thus does not think 'I have
a family', is superior to the ascetic who thinks 'I am an ascetic'.

185.  A pot takes in water and sinks.  A log does not take in water and does not sink; (so too) who is
attached becomes bound;  the unattached one is not bound, even if he remains at home.

186.  As the regulating block is necessary for the proper running of a chariot, so afflictions are necessary
to Sadhakas for success in practice.

187.  Oh Sadhaka, overcome afflictions with a cool mind, and the firm faith that they occur by the grace of
God, to help to steady the mind.

188. It is better for the Sadhaka, to be in worldly position arousing compassion from other men, than for
him to be in a state to be envied by them.

189.  When any act has become fruitful, do not become proud, thinking 'This was achieved by my enterprise';
(on the other hand), become convinced that God is gracious.

190.  When the desired success is not won;  it should not be thought that the action has proved unfruitful;
the fruit of it is just the understanding that actions become fruitful (in the usual sense) by the grace of God,
not by mere human effort.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.           
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:48:46 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 10:56:37 AM »
191.  After doing a wrong action, one should not hide it from self love; one should resolve to act
rightly in future, avoiding faults.

192.  If the Sadhaka overlooks the faults of others, and sees only their merits, and thus keeps his
mind serene, his whole life will be pleasant.

193. To be unconcerned in all things, with the mind cool, desire-less and without hate, is beautiful
in a Sadhaka. 

194.  The Sadhaka's enemy hates the ego, (in the Sadhaka) whom the Sadhaka wants to kill; thus
like the anvil to the goldsmith, he is actually a friend.

195.  Appropriating to oneself specifically, thinking 'this is mine'[, something that shall not be
available to all is not right for a discriminating Sadhaka, since it violates the ideal of equality.

196.  By 'fate' is meant only action done by oneself previously with effort; hence the well directed
effort one can wipe off fate.

197.  The Sadhaka ought not to act as he likes, even to achieve a good result; if the act be done
wrongly, it becomes a sinful action.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 12:21:00 PM »
198.  He that would deserve God's Grace ought not to kill any living being for any reason.  Since he has
not the skill to revive what is dead.

199.  That alone is right action, which is done with a peaceful and pure mind;  all action is sinful, which
is done with an agitated mind or from desires.

200.  What have they to gain by practicing tapas, who act with mind at peace, without attachment to
(objects in) this illusory world, and with the mind activities stilled?

201.  The most powerful tapas consists in the Sadhaka maintaining peace of mind, resigning all his
worldly burdens to God.

202.  As the grains that are close to the pivot of a hand mill (are not crushed), so those that have taken
refuge with God are unaffected by the severest of afflictions.

203.  Those that have minds fixed with love on God, as the magnetized needle points always fixedly to the
north, never swerve from the straight path through ignorance.

204.  Never worry thinking, 'when shall I attain this state?'; this state transcends both space and time
and is neither far nor near.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2016, 10:22:18 AM »
205.  The Real Self exists free, pervading everything, by its essential being; how can He be bound by
Illusion?  Do not Oh Sadhaka, be despondent in this.

206.  The notion 'I am an unsteady Jiva' has arisen by losing hold of the Unmoving Self that one really is;
the Sadhaka should efface this thought and remain in the Supreme Silence.

207.  To end the restlessness of the mind the following is the means:  Look upon all things that are perceptible
and the perceiver as the Self.

208.  Even a pure thought which serves to expel an impure one, needs to be given up (after it has served
the purpose), just like a thorn used for removing a thorn (in the flesh).

209.  The truth of Non Duality is to be only meditate upon the mind; do not do any action from belief in
Non Duality.  The idea of  Non Duality is fit to be cherished in respect of all things whatsoever, but not with
respect to the Guru.

210.  The 'I' which is a reflection of the Self, in the mirror of the mind, is moved by the movements of the
mind;  to stop the movement (and make reflection still) one should fix the mind on the Unmoving Self.

211. Many seek the Self in the Sutra Bhashya but do not find Him.  Forget not the True Self is to be
sought in the Heart, (not in books nor elsewhere outside).

212.  All research into the non Self, which one makes, neglecting the Real Self, is vain, like the scrutiny
of waste hair by a barber.

213. The trembling of the body through fear, which comes to the meditator because his sense 'I am the
body', will cease when he attains completeness of being as absolute consciousness.

214.  As the pearl diver brings up the pearl by diving down weighted by a stone, so one should win the
Self, by diving into the Heart, weighted by non attachment.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2016, 12:12:26 PM »
Chapter III - Experience:

10. Liberation

215.  Illumination, Happiness, Immortality, Solitude, Liberation, Union with God, the Natural State,
Nirvana, Birth, the Good Goal, Renunciation.

216.  Non lying, Silence, the Bursting of Bonds, the Fulfillment of All Desires, the State Without
Mental Taints, Peace, Having nothing to do, Extinction of Mind.

217. The Highest State, Perfect Devotion, the Supreme Speech, Self Rule, the Heaven of the Self,
God's Fullest Grace, -- these are some of the names of the Experience of the Self.

218.  When the mind becomes calm through the extinction of the ego, who is there subject to bondage?
This ego is itself bondage and subject to bondage;   there is no bondage otherwise.

219.  There never was any bondage for the Self who is the only Reality (there is);  He is ever free and
aware;  the One that is bound is the illusory Jiva (ego).

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2016, 10:58:06 AM »
220.  Liberation is the simultaneous cessation of the thoughts, namely bondage and liberation, by
the Quest 'Who am I that is bound?'

221.  Those mind free ones that have attained the natural State by becoming aware of the Self, unlimited
like the sky and ever aware, were never in the darkness of ignorance.

222.  The three groups of actions become extinct in the case of the Mukta, because his sense of being the
doer is gone;  the sense of being the doer was lost along with the ego, who alone was the doer.

223.  Nothing remains to be striven for by those that have become established in this State.  They should
be understood to be beyond the necessity of doing anything, to have known whatever needs to be known
and to be free from doubt.

224.  The enlightened one that has become one with the unchanging Supreme Consciousness, -- like a river
that has become one with the ocean, -- takes birth no more in a body.

225. Though he appears to men to be embodied, the Sadhaka, should understand that he is bodiless in fact;
for by giving up the sense of 'I am the body', his body has been surrendered to the Current Karma.

contd,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 10:37:20 AM »
226.  He that is without perception of the illusory objects (of the mind and the senses) having fallen
asleep in the Heart, is wide awake;  all others are sunk in the profound sleep of ignorance.

227. He sleeps, who thinks this dream of the world to be waking, ignoring the Real Self, whose nature
is constant waking;  on the other hand, the enlightened one is awake.

228.  The state of Liberation may be described as eternal sleep without waking, or as eternal waking
uninterrupted by sleep.

229.  As falling from one's own natural State  -- which is dearest of all and perfectly happy -- is death,
so being established in that State,  by the grace of the holy Guru is eternal birth.

230.  Birth (in the world, due to ignorance and desires) is verily for the sake of death; and every creature
dies only to be born again in the world; but the death of the ego is real death and eternal birth not
shadowed by death. 

231. As, when the sea overflows the shore, no creature can raise it head but is overwhelmed, so when
the consciousness of the Self is in flood, the ego thought cannot arise.

232.  Therefore, there can be no sense of enjoyment for the Jivanmukta; this State of purity transcends
enjoyment, being freed from the two poles of enjoyment and suffering.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 10:34:44 AM »
233. The falling off the five sheaths of the one that has become established in the ecstasy of Silence,
by the grace of the Supreme Being, was called Nirvana by Sugata.  (Bhagavan Buddha).

234. Just as the moon does not shine at all when the sun rises in the east, so when the Sun of Pure
Consciousness rises, the self assertiveness of the Jiva ceases at once.

235.  Three taints of mind are mentioned; of these the foremost is the ego sense in relation to the body;
the other two are rooted in that;  when that is lost, the other two will be lost also.

236.  The mortal becomes immortal by that method, by which the mind, which is extremely restless, is made
motionless like a lame man, free from wishes.

237.  Learned men speak of Illumination as thought of infinite form;  but thoughts are necessarily finite;
the Mukita is free from thoughts, as a river reaching the sea is without movement.

238.  The Supreme Silence that arises as pure Consciousness on the death of the ego, through the mind
becoming free of thoughts in the heart, is the transcendental speech.

239.  This Supreme Silence, the Being Consciousness Bliss, which is the Source of all things, pervades
inside and outside.  It is this which the wise call Jnana.

240. This state of being the Real Self by Jnana is the real becoming God, the eternal peace, the State
beyond the three namely, waking, dream and sleep, the treasure of independence.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.