Author Topic: Maha Sivratri - 7th March 2016.  (Read 1131 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Maha Sivratri - 7th March 2016.
« on: March 07, 2016, 12:50:14 PM »
Today is Maha Sivaratri.  The day is celebrated in all Siva temples with abhishekam, alanakram, and prayers
to Siva Linga.  People bring curds, milk, oil, ghee, flowers, coconut water to the temple for abhishekam.

In Asramam they do elaborate abhishekam and alankaram and puja to Sri Ramaneswara Maha Linga.
Alankaram is done with flowers along with bhilva leaves, which are so dear to Siva.

After is the devotees go for food. Some devotees take up fasting through out the day.  And eat breakfast
only in the morning.  Some others take some fruits and milk and they eat some dosas or idlis at night   
time.

What is more important is keeping awake throughout the night and they chant Siva namas, etc.
They take breakfast only in the morning after bath and puja to Siva.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Maha Sivratri - 7th March 2016.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 04:05:45 PM »
A few years back I had sent an email to David Godman asking him how Shivrathri was celebrated during Bhagavan Ramana's times and this is the reply he sent :

I don't know how Sivaratri was celebrated in Bhagavan's day. There are very few mentions of the day, so I am assuming that there were few extra events beyond the usual scheduled ones. There is, of course, the famous occasion in 1923 when Bhagavan was asked to speak about Dakshinamurti's silent teachings on a Sivaratri evening. He responded by keeping quiet, and by keeping everyone's mind completely silent and sleep-free all night. I think there were five people present that night, including Ramaswami Pillai. I remember talking to him about this Sivaratri blessing in the 1980s, and he was still moved by this expression of Bhagavan's power and grace some sixty years after it manifested. - David Godman
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Maha Sivratri - 7th March 2016.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 04:51:01 PM »
Dear Atmavichar100,

Nice to read about Sivaratri in the Asramam and how Sri Bhagavan kept silent by making devotees
to understand the mounam is an important feature of Siva Ratri.

Arunachala Siva.