Author Topic: The Guiding Presence:  (Read 936 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
The Guiding Presence:
« on: February 01, 2016, 02:06:03 PM »
(This is the Editorial of Mountain Path, Aradhana issue, 2005)

The Mahanirvana of Sri Ramana Maharshi in 1950, left the devotees who surrounded Him bereft of the
comfort of audible instruction and also of immediate consolation whenever they were in distress.  All
they had was the published writings, their personal memories and instructions received from the Master
and the Asramam itself to remind them of Sri Ramana's Presence.   The light that illuminated their lives
had apparently vanished and, for a while, many thought they lived in darkness with little hope of recapturing
those blissful moments of being in Sri Ramana's actual physical radiance.

For those who understood Ramana best, such as Muruganar, the succeeding years were an opportunity
to actualize the teachings and keep alive the flame, not as though they were dealing with stale, fading
memories, but to show that they were capable of practicing what Bhagavan had spent His life teaching them.
For those who truly understood what Sri Ramana taught, His physical passing was, in the final analysis,
of no consequence.  In fact, those who truly understood realized that instead of being cut off they were now
much closer to the divine action named Sri Ramana.  Free of physical constraint this power we call
Ramana has by means we cannot understand, become much more freely available to us, albeit in a subtle             
form.

Over the succeeding years there has been a slow widening of the sphere of influence of this presence.
The Asramam has opened up, after years of hibernation when it adjusted to the fact that Ramana was
no longer their in physical form.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:53:25 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: The Guiding Presence:
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 09:56:28 AM »
In the first two decades after Ramana's Mahanirvana, the Asramam was barely able to sustain itself,
due to legal assaults by aggrieved, misguided individuals, as well as by a lack of funds; for sometime
its very existence was at stake.  It was only in the nineteen seventies that the Asrmam found its feet
and became self sustaining.  But it was not until after the kumbhabhishekam in 1995, that the Asramam
managed to overcome its remaining problems and a new wave of devotees came to seek Ramana's
blessings.  Today more people than ever pouring in.

What is it that draws them here in spite of the fact that there is no obvious reward for their efforts?
If Ramana is no longer with us physically, why do we come to the Asramam?  Yes, His Samadhi is
available where we can pay our respects.  And yes, we can sit quietly in the old Hall where He sat
for many years, and imbibe the powerful spiritual energy of the room.  But is that all?

There is more, as many will testify, who either remain close to the Asramam or, if they are unable
to do so, come as often as they can.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 11:11:51 AM »
A question asked by many who come for the first time is whether there is someone they can go to
for spiritual instruction.  The answer they generally receive is that they should go and sit in the Old
Hall and, when necessary, visit the old devotees of Ramana who are still alive. Unfortunately at that time,
many  of those senior devotees are leaving this world and we cannot gain the direct benefit of their memories
and wisdom.

It may seem a bleak and unsatisfactory prospect to be left only with a grave, a temple and a small room
as catalysts for spiritual insight and solace. Buildings by themselves cannot answer our doubts nor
provide succor to us in our moments of distress.  But here appearance belies the reality.  For it is very
evident to those who have preserved that there is a guiding presence in the Asramam that is alive and
responsive to our needs.  A subtle power prevails that heals our hearts and restores our equanimity.

What is this mysterious, potent guiding force which transforms our lives?  It is not perceived unless
we are open, receptive and aware.  We all know from intimate experience what it is.  It has been
described in historical times as 'the power which surpasses all understanding'. It is the breath of God
or as Ramana would say 'automatic divine action.'  For those who have been and continue to be the
recipients of this manna, they understand  and words are unnecessary. But for those who are new,
words may perhaps just confuse the subject until such time as they open up and surrender to the
Presence.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 10:41:32 AM »
Paul Brunton in his A Search in Secret India wrote of the impact of Ramana on him when he sat in the
Old Hall:

'A hush falls upon the little company.  The minutes slowly pass but the silence only deepens.
I am not religious but I can no more resist the feeling of increasing awe which begins to grip
my mind than a bee resist a flower in all its luscious bloom.  The Hall is becoming pervaded with
a subtle, intangible and indefinable power which affects me deeply.  I feel, without doubt and without
hesitation, the center of this mysterious power is no other than the Maharshi himself.

"His eyes shine with astonishing brilliance. Strange sensations begin to arise in me.  Those lustrous
orbs seem to be peering into the inner recess of my soul.... There comes a perceptible change in  the
telepathic current which plays between us, the while my eyes blink frequently but His remain without
the least tremor.  I become aware that He is definitely linking my own mind with His, that He is
provoking my heart into that state of starry calm which He seems perpetually to enjoy.  In this
extraordinary peace, I find a sense of exaltation and lightness. Time seems to stand still. My heart
is released from its burden of care."  ( A Search in Secret India,.pp.161-162)

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 11:26:44 AM »
The essential point is that this grace is available to us even today, always, at any time and at any place.
But for most of us the epiphanies occur more often than not at the Asramam, because it compelling
ambiance can lead us immediately into the valley of silence.  This grace is a pure light which removes
the barriers of ignorance that we have set up to defend our small, private worlds of desires and fears.

Ramana said:

Divine grace is essential for realization.  It leads on to God realization.  But such grace is vouchsafed     
only to him who is a true devotee or a yogin, who has striven hard and ceaselessly on path towards
freedom.  (Talks 29).

We focus and identify Ramana as the source of this abundant grace, this light  which guides and reassures
us.

Bhagavan did not belong to any lineage, nor did He personally subscribe to one.  He was unique and even
in the evaluation of he great masters of His lifetime, He stood alone.  His teaching was often in silence,
or else in epitomized the simplicity of absolute truth. Some people have occasionally sought to interpret
Bhagavan's words, and while there is a risk of their seeking to insert themselves in some sort of 'lineage',
something Bhagavan himself did not advocate.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 10:32:43 AM »
To truly understand what Bhagavan meant, what He tried in so many ways to teach us throughout
His physical lifetime, one has to only remember and try to understand what were among His last words.
When someone cried to Him not to leave us, for what were we to do without Him , His reply encapsulated
His entire teaching.  This crucial reply resonates powerfully through our entire lives.  He said, 'You pay
too much attention to the body. I am not leaving, where would I go?'

For those with the ears to hear the sweet sound of His gracious silence there is no more to ask.

Concluded.

Arunachala Siva.     
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:51:06 AM by Subramanian.R »