Author Topic: Guru Ramana Prasadam - Sri Muruganar - Tr.By Robert Butler:  (Read 1329 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Guru Ramana Prasadam - Sri Muruganar - Tr.By Robert Butler:
« on: January 14, 2016, 03:16:36 PM »
The above article giving some excerpts of the book Guru Ramana Prasadam, is available in
Mountain Path, April -June 2007)

5.  Through the joyous power of the true love, that took as its goal the feet of my Guru, a life
lived in the vast space of the Self that shines fearlessly within the heart burgeoned forth within me,
as the unfailing awareness that it is divine silence became ever more intense.  Birth's suffering was
abolished, and my eye became fearless, as I obtained the vision of Grace.

7. His true glance, the pellucid knowledge dispensed by the Guru's Grace, is the medicine to cure
the disease that is the illusion of worldly bondage, inflicted upon us by the vagaries of the objective ego
mind whose nature is to look at that which is alien to itself. How strange it is that we wander in this world
illusion,instead of availing ourselves of that glance to go and win salvation at the feet of the true Lord
who shines within the heart.

205. Destroying the dark void of base ignorance, the light of the grace-bestowing feet of my Guru
and Master, whose nature is of the form of shining self knowledge, revealed to me my true self,
driving out entirely the degrading confusion of that false, delusional state,in which I wandered weeping
and fretting over 'I' and 'mine'.

334. Reality, the Supreme and unique nature of the Self, is nothing other than the Heart in which the
power of the mind to generate its false creations has died.If the aggressive ego is eliminated as its
source, a joy will arise that the sorrows of the mind cannot touch.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Guru Ramana Prasadam - Sri Muruganar - Tr.By Robert Butler:
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 12:43:26 PM »
195:

When I became united with the feet of the Sadguru, my worldly ties were cut away through the practice
of absorption in His abiding Selfhood, with no longer any need to acquire empirical knowledge,
and the lofty knowledge of Sivam ripened within me as the vast Supreme.

332:

The wise declare that the beautiful light of pure Sivam that is free of objective traits, is simply
shining forth of the Reality, that is consciousness.  If the base, fraudulent and delusional 'I'
of the defective mind is eliminated, the incorporeal nature of the Self, shining as all that is,
will be revealed.

93:

When the light of His holy feet, that tranquil shore that is so hard to reach, wondrously caused
my heart to blossom, the ghostly  dance of the 'I' with its wild antics subsided in the state of
divine silence, an existence, whose glorious nature is impossible to describe.         

79:

As the divine experience that is life at the grace-bestowing feet that ruled me became ever more
intense, within my heart final liberation, a vision worthy to behold, granted in grace by true knowledge,
flared up consuming all in the oneness of a single nature, so that the world became the supreme
realty itself.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 10:55:15 AM »
319:

Know that the perfectly pure Self will well up as a flood of deep peace in the hearts of those who have
come to know reality as it really is through inquiry.  What is required is to perform worship of that Self
with a collected mind, so that the thoughts melt away through the power of a true love that is free of guile.

358:

I was without deep devotion, lacking in good qualities, a mere neophyte amidst the company of His
devotees, yet within my heart my Lord bestowed the gift of grace, the limitless supreme bliss of divine
silence, and I expected a unique love for Him, welling up abundantly within my heart.

391:

The mind that is intoxicated with the sense of 'I' is annihilated in the flooding bliss of the true knowledge
of the Self.  The consciousness that remains immersed in Sivam, unable to rise arrogantly (as 'I'),
is my natural puja.

262:

As I flourished through union with the pure intelligence of the Lord, who destroyed my mind's defilement
and ruled me through His grace, I saw and grasped eternal life, the unsurpassed bliss of the auspicious
state of liberation, the state which is none other than the subtle awareness that is the supreme expanse
of divine silence.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 10:09:32 AM »
52:

When with the unerring arrow of His glance of true knowledge*, my Guru, the Supreme Lord, sundered
the knot between my body and soul, and my mind, transformed into the supernal sky of His grace,
became clear and radiant, the veiling deception of bitter worldly bondage disappeared, and the truth
i then saw was my own self.**

(* The Brahmasutra, the look of Jnana that never misses its mark'.

** Kanda unmai naanee:  'The truth I perceived was "I". This is an emendation of the original 1960
version: kaivalyam kantathee... 'that which I perceived was final liberation' (Anubandham I.v. 17 of
1960 edition.)

119:

Through the grace of my Master who saw how my mind was bewildered, how I had, through the
delusion of taking myself to the ego, destroyed the integrity of Sivam that shines as reality itself,
I gained the clear realization of the truth in which false knowledge is entirely obliterated, so that
I plunged joyously into the union with that Sivam, the Self.

127:

Self Realization is the primal reality, the bliss of divine silence shining free of the ego, as my very
own form.  Through merging in the heart with the Lord of that true realization, the vile delusion
of worldly bondage,the ideas of 'I' and 'mine', disappeared completely.

268:

Those in whose minds the grace of the Lord, whose glance dispels the darkness of ignorance, has
sprung forth abundantly, freeing them from the bewilderment caused by delusion, will gain true
understanding, as the 'I' shines as the real in the firmament of grace within the heart.  This indeed
is the perfection of the absolute.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 11:41:07 AM »
291:

Within my heart He kindled, as true realization, the auspicious flame of divine silence, growing
ever more intense until the hostility of ego grew weak and disappeared.  Know that there, in the
state of all-embracing realization of the Self that fills the heart like the empty sky, the knowledge
that involves knowing objectively is a mere illusion.

236:

Like fire rising up from the root, the supreme state of divine silence shone with a beautiful radiance
within my heart as the awareness of being, driving out the imaginary concepts of time, space, and doership,
and revealing to me my very nature as peace, abundant and supreme.

378:

Through the awareness in which I gave myself up as a prey to You, I have experienced in my heart final
liberation, the grace of divine silence, as my greatest birth right, that which is most deeply to be desired.
You it is I cherish as the good fortune that is my own self.

137:

Sunk in darkness, my heart had become a battlefield through its entrenched self conceit. But when the
Lord brought me to dwell in peace as His grace-bestowing feet, I gained the state of transcendental realization*, as one of the wise.

(*Jnana Samadhi)

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 11:30:13 AM »
387:

Through the miracle of grace that penetrated me in the form of true, all embracing consciousness,
so that the ghostly charade created by the evil ego was abolished,  I perceived that there was nothing
that I needed to learn employing the intellect.  Learned as I was, that unique nature, wherein I acted
like an untutored simpleton, one who uses a mark to sign His name, became my own.

373:

Through the glory of a nature that is not even aware  of its own greatness, through a compassion
whose nature it is to not even see my own unworthiness, He abolished all differentiation, transmuting
all into His own Self, so that all my deeds, possessing a unique divine quality, excelled as His own.

194:

The state  in which one attains and becomes permanently established in limitless space, the pure state
of grace, the exquisite supreme bliss whose nature is delight, is none other than the holy feet of the guru,
the tender flame of true knowledge that ever watches over those devotees whose love is true.

393:

You shone within my heart, beyond duality, as my own self, and I, with a true love flaring up within me,
worshipped You in a variety of ways, so that to others, my worship appeared dualistic. Forgive me,
I beg You, and do not reject me!

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 10:58:06 AM »
Verse 380:

Within my heart the one pointed thought:  Apart from the Self there is for me no other protection!
was kindled and flared up.  Then, as all other thoughts died away, unable to arise, I merged with
You as my authentic form.

Verse 297:

The absolute oneness of Brahman stands alone as the greater life of divine silence, the life of grace
that is the direct experience of the knowledge of the real, entirely free from from the life of delusion
that is the mental creation of a mind deluded by desire.  Other than through the grace of the guru,
that greater life is impossible to attain.

Verse 85:

Through inner renunciation, free of all desires, except for the lofty desire for the flood of divine grace,
purity arose within my soul, and as my mind, becoming perfectly pure, conducted its inquiry, the
greater life of grace that nothing can mar, the reality of the Self, manifested within my heart.

Verse 172:

When I surrendered myself saying: Save for your Holy Holy Feet, there is no salvation for me!
Your grace is my only refuge! with no thought in my mind other than the thought of Him, He
untied me with my own true nature as His very own.

Verse 275:

The Lord bestows upon us the great wealth of meditating upon and worshipping the glory of His self
in thought and speech.  The true, authentic consciousness that shines as one within the heart when
we rely upon His grace, and investigate inwardly through the inquiry 'Who am I?' is the exalted state
of Brahman whose nature is impossible to grasp.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 10:24:39 AM »
Verse 303:

Divine silence, the fullness of the Self whose lofty nature is the Real, consciousness itself, is simply to be
immersed in love.  Other than by knowing consciousness through consciousness itself, the life that is the
experience of love through divine silence, consciousness itself, will not come into being.

Verse 307:

The pure and noble nature of the Self can be perceived only through the gaze of Him who, abiding as
'I am that', possesses the eye of grace. (Am kannan; the Fair Eyed One. An epithet to describe Siva as
the bestower of grace. To Muruganar, there is no difference between Siva and Ramana). It is quite impossible for anyone to perceive and attain it through his own eyes, which are blind, being overspread by the distorting
cataract (that creates the illusion) of worldly bondage.

Verse 308:

Whatever comes through knowledge gained by study, unless the reality that is unalloyed pure consciousness
shines in one's heart, so that the whirl of deluded desire, the knowledge that is caught up in mental imagination, is ended, the non dual state of divine silence, the wondrous state of total knowledge,
will not be attained.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 12:21:08 PM »
Verse 28:

As far as I am concerned, there is nothing apart from myself. As far as He is concerned, there is nothing
apart from Himself.  In the Oneness, the expanse of grace that possess such a nature, to think that these
are two is an incorrect understanding that occurs at the level of limiting factors that are merely imagined.
(Upadhi unarvu in Tamizh)

Verse 409:

To maintain self attention without a break, is how I show my deep gratitude towards Him, who brought
about  His victorious rule within my heart.  Other than this, there is no other way.  A benediction upon
the glorious Self that shines alone within the heart through the non dual truth of its self nature!

concluded.

The full book Guru Ramana Prasadam of Muruganar is available in Tamizh.  The translation of Robert
Butler is also available.

Arunachala Siva.