Author Topic: Viveka Chudamani - Sri Sankara:  (Read 13984 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Viveka Chudamani - Sri Sankara:
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2016, 10:36:23 AM »
Nature of Prarabdha:

Verse  445:

The scriptures say, even the meditative are conscious of the externals, because of prarabdha, the result
of past actions.

Verse  446:

As long as one feels pleasure and pain, so long prarabdha remains.

Verse 447:

But 'I am He, I am Brahman' -- this knowledge does away with all past actions done in millions
and millions of births.

Verse 448:

Whatever one does  -- good or bad - in the state of dream, which is the result of ignorance, does that affect
him when awakened?

Verse 449:

One who has seen his own Self, which is always free from all contact, indifferent to everything --
knowing Him, he is never attached by action, whether past, present, or future, as the sky is
never attached to anything.

Verse  450:

In a pitcher of wine, the sky is not affected by the smell of that wine. So the Atman is not affected
by name and form or by their actions.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2016, 10:32:44 AM »
Verse  451:

The pupil speaks:

Good, I understand.  After knowledge, all actions vanish.  But things done before the attainment of
knowledge, what of them?  Knowledge cannot destroy them without giving their effect, like the arrow
which has been shot already.

Verse 452:

There was a cow, and you thought it was a tiger,  and you shot; and now you know it is a cow and
not a tiger, yet the arrow stops not, but strikes the cow.

Verse 453:

The Guru speaks:

Yes, you are right.  Prarabdha is surely very powerful.  Even to the knower, it will bring effects,
because the fire of knowledge destroys that which has been stored up and what one has yet to do,
but which is done, it cannot destroy.  But those who stay in the consciousness of oneness with
Brahman are never affected by these three.  They are Brahman without qualities.

Verse 454:

Therefore, it is not proper to speak of Prarabdha, which belongs to the upadhis, for him who remains
in Brahman alone, as it is not proper to impute the things of a dream to a man who is awake.

Verse 455:

One who is awake does not identify himself with the body or the senses of actions of dreams, but stays
in his own wakeful state; so also, one awake in Brahman identifies himself with Brahman, and this body
becomes just as the body seen in dreams.

Verse 456:

Therefore, he does not try to support what is unreal, nor to acquire the things of the world; but
if one acquires and follows the unreal, then we say he has not freed himself from sleep yet. 

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2016, 10:46:13 AM »
Verse  457:

So, he who stays in the Supreme always, sees nothing else.  Yet, you say he remains in the world.
Yes, as is the memory of things seen in dream, so are his actions in this world.

Verse 458:

This body is made of actions.  Imagine Prarabdha for the body.  It belongs to it.  But this Atman is
beginningless.  It is not proper to imagine Prarabdha for the Atman.  The Atman is not made by action.

Verse 459:

It is unborn, eternal, and universal.  Thus says the scripture, which never speaks of falsehood.

Verse 460:

When one lives in the body, you can imagine Prarabdha for him, but to live in the body is not desirable.
Therefore, give up the Prarabdha.

Verse 461:

Again, to think of Prarabdha even for the body is ignorance.  It is error, because where is the reality
of the thing imputed?  When it is unreal in its very nature, how is it born?  And how can what is not
born, die?

Verse 462 & 463:

If you can once destroy ignorance, with all its actions, by knowledge, then where is death, where is
birth, and where is the reality of that which is only darkness?  If you can realize the true nature of the
rope, where is the snake, and where is fear?

The Pupil may say: 'This moment you told me about Prarabdha -- what is self contradiction!'  No,
the Sruti speaks about Prarabdha, only for the sake of the dull minded who cannot understand the
Atman and are afraid of their body, and not for the learned.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2016, 11:59:09 AM »
Verse  464:

This Atman fills all.  Beginning-less, endless, that which cannot be measured, changeless, and One
without a second -- is Brahman.   There are not many in this world. 

Verse 465:

The consolidation of existence, of knowledge, the eternal essence of blissfulness, without actions, and 
One without a second is Brahman.  There are not many in this world.

Verse 466:

Always uniform, ever full, endless, omnipresent, and One without a second is Brahman.  There are not
many in this world.

Verse 467:

Unavoidable, superlative, it cannot be handled;  and without any receptacle (being the receptacle of all)
and One without a second is Brahman.  There are not many in this world.

Verse 468:

Attribute-less, part-less, ever free, subtle, changeless, spotless, and One without a second is Brahman.
There are not many in this world.

Verse 469:

You cannot ascertain any form of Brahman.  Beyond mind and speech and One without a second is
Brahman.  There are not many in this world.

Verse 470:

Reality Itself, established in its own glory, pure, intelligent, incomparable, and One without a second
is Brahman.  There are not many in this world.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:23:32 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2016, 10:28:43 AM »
Experience of the Self

Who can know Brahman?

Verse 471.  Those ascetics and great souls, whose desires have been fully fulfilled, who have become
full of peace, who have made themselves fully controlled, knowing this Supreme Truth, and uniting themselves
with That, attain this blissful state of freedom. 

Verse 472.  Thou, O great One, knowing this pure state of thine own Self, which is the consolidation of
blissfulness, wash off the attachments that are the creations of your own mind.  Be conscious, be free,
and be successful.

Verse 473.  I have told you enough.  Now try to realize it by attaining Samadhi. With unshaken faith,
attain Samadhi.  Realize it.  The things heard, when realized, will not produce any doubt again   

Verse 474. Whether you are free from your ignorance or not, you alone know.  To know one's own freedom
from the bondage that comes from contact with ignorance and the attainment of the state of pure existence,
knowledge, and bliss, the scriptures,reason, and the words of the Guru are the proofs.  But one's own
conviction felt within is the greatest of all.

Verse 475.  Bondage or freedom, attainment or otherwise, anxiety or peace, pleasure or pain -- one
knows these in one's own self.  Others can only guess.

Verse 476.  Masters may direct from the shore, but the disciple must cross the ocean by his own sure
knowledge.  The Guru only show from a distance.  Teachers and scriptures awaken the disciple from a
distance, but the learned should know the Atman by his own  self through the grace of the Lord.

Verse 477.  But one's own inward knowledge -- knowing one's own indivisibility, the One Atman --
be identified with that unchangeable Atman. Remain in the Atman, free from all change.

Verse 478.  This is the sure decision of Vedanta:  Brahman is all -- the Jiva and the world. To stay in
that state constantly is what is called freedom. And Brahman is One without a second. The scripture
is the testimony.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                     
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:47:37 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2016, 12:02:33 PM »
Attaining Self Awakening:

Verse  479:

According to the direction of the Master, and following the scriptures, knowing the real state of his own
Self by his own reasoning, controlling all his senses, and by his mind being intent upon his own soul,
the disciple for a time became still like a rock -  immovable and fixed in the Atman.

Verse 480:

And after staying there for some time, with his whole mind in the Supreme Brahman, he came
back to his consciousness, and with the great delight expressed these ideas:

Verse 481:

The ego is gone. Desires have melted away by attaining oneness with the Supreme.  Now I do not
know this or that, or what or where is the end of this Eternal Bliss.

Verse 482:

I cannot express by words, nor even contemplate by mind, this wealth that I have found in this ocean
of the Supreme Brahman, which is full of the nectar of bliss.  Only by tasting a particle of that, my mind has
become merged in that ocean of bliss and is at rest.       

Verse 483:

Where is it gone? Who has taken away this world of duality?  I saw it this moment.  Is there no world?
Has it come to naught?  It is most wonderful indeed.

Verse 484:

What to avoid, what to accept, what is separate from me, what is different in this ocean of  Brahman
which is filled with the nectar of indivisible bliss?

contd.,

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2016, 11:08:36 AM »
485.  Now I am filled with the ever blissful Atman.  I see nothing;  neither do I hear nor know anything
separate from me.

486.  I bow down to thee, O great Soul, my Master, who art free from all attachment and the best of the
learned and good, who art the embodiment of eternal Blissfulness, the shore-less ocean of mercy.

487. Whose glance, like the consolidated rays of the moon, washes away the weariness resulting from
the labor of birth and death. Now in the twinkling of an eye, I have attained that indivisible and inexhaustible
treasure, the blissful Self.

488.  By thy mercy I have become blessed, successful, and free from the grasp of the dragon of birth
and death.  Now I have become ever blissful and filled entirely.

489.  Yes, I am unattached, I am without a body.  I am without all signs  - subtle body and all.
I am indivisible, whole, ever peaceful, endless, pure and eternal.

490. I am neither he who acts nor he who experiences the result of action. I am beyond action and
changeless.  My nature is pure consciousness.  I am absolute reality, eternal goodness.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2016, 10:27:19 AM »
Verse  491:

Yes.  I am separate from the seer, the hearer, the speaker, the doer, the enjoyer;  I am without all actions,
without limit, without any contact. I am One - eternal Consciousness Itself.

Verse 492:

I am neither this nor that but the manifester of both - the Supreme, ever pure, and free from anything
external or internal.  I am Brahman, One without a second.

Verse 493:

Incomparable, the beginning-less substance (Reality); free from all imaginations of 'I', 'thou',
'this' or 'that', free from all doubts;  ever blissful, one uniform truth - I am  Brahman, One without
a second.

Verse 494: 

I am That.  I am the Lord. I am the Refuge of all.  I am the Destroyer of all sins.  I am the Purusha.
I am the Supreme.  I am the indivisible consciousness, the controller of all, without any other controller,
and without egoism or the idea of 'me' and 'mine'.

Verse 495

In all creatures, I exist in the form of Consciousness and the Self, being the refuge of both the external
and the internal.  I am the enjoyer.  I am the enjoyable.  I am all that I saw separately before.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2016, 10:45:46 AM »
Verse 496:

Yes, it is only by the wind of Maya that these different waves of the world are created in me through
ignorance, and they dissolve in me through ignorance, and they dissolve in me, the ocean of one,
indivisible consciousness.

Verse 497.

The people in ignorance impute to me these different states - gross, or subtle but they are not real,
only imputed, as they impute to Eternity cycles, years, seasons, months, weeks, days, etc.,
But Eternity is without parts and unchanged.

Verse 498.

So let the people talk.  What is imputed cannot affect the substance in which it is imputed.  Imputing
the serpent to the rope does not change the real nature of the rope. Does the ground of the desert
become wet by the water of the mirage?

Verse 499.

I am like the sky, beyond all limitations. I am like the sun, separate from the things it manifests.
I am ever fixed and immovable like the great mountain, and I am like the ocean without shores.

Verse 500.

I have no connection whatever with the body, as the sky has no connection with the clouds;
as the sky has no connection with the clouds;  and, therefore, where can there be any of the
properties of the body in me  -- the Jagrat, Svapna, and Sushupti, the states of waking, dream,
dream and deep sleep?

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2016, 12:14:38 PM »
Verse 501:

The Upadhi comes and goes, does all actions, and suffers or enjoys.  That Upadhi decays and dies.
I am always like that great mountain, immovable and fixed.

Verse 502:

I have neither desire nor cessation of desires, because I am always uniform, One without parts.
He that is One, eternal, universal, whole like the sky filled on all sides, how shall he work?

Verse 503:

Therefore, how can there be any actions, merit or demerit, virtue or vice, for him who is without organs,
without form, without mind, without changes and is one, indivisible, blissful consciousness?

Verse 504:

That which touches the shadow -- heat or cold, good or bad, -- these cannot touch the Purusha,
because He is separate from it.

Verse 505:

So the property of things do not affect the witness, who is separate from them;  as the things in a room
do not affect the lamp which reveals them and yet remains separate from them.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2016, 11:28:26 AM »
Verse  506:

As the Sun is the witness of all actions, as fire has the power of burning, and as is the connection of the rope
with serpent, so is the connection (of everything) with me, the Pure Intelligence, the changeless Atman.

Verse 507:

I am neither the doer nor the enjoyer; neither do I make others enjoy.  I am neither the seer, nor do
I make others see.  I am that self effulgent, indefinable Atman.

Verse  508:

Only fools, when the upadhi moves,  think that the subject is moving.  The subject is actionless like the
sun.  Only the fools think: ' I am born and I die', etc.,

Verse 509:

In water or on land, let this insentient mass (body) fall. I am never touched by its properties, as the sky
is never touched by the properties of a pitcher.

Verse  510:

The state of being the doer, the enjoyer, and having meanness, dullness, freedom, and bondage --
all these are the signs of intellect.  Really they do not exist in me, the Supreme Brahaman, One
without a second.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2016, 10:51:46 AM »
Verse 511:

Let there be transformations of nature in hundreds, thousands, and millions of ways -  what is that
to me, who is not attached to them?  The clouds never touch the vast sky.

Verse 512:

From the unmanifested down to this gross world - in me everything appears as a shadow.  I am
that  Brahman, One without a second, free from beginning or end like the sky.

Verse  513:

The basis of all, the manifester of all things, the giver of all forms, all pervading and free from all,
ever existent, pure immovable, changeless, One without a second -- I am That.

Verse 514:

Maya with its manifold appearances subsides in me, who is the substance of this 'I';  but only understood
by consciousness can it be attained in consciousness and through consciousness.  Truth, Knowledge,
Bliss - Brahman, One without a second -  I am That.

Verse 515:

I am action-less;  I am changeless;  I am part-less;  I am without purpose;  I am eternal.  I do not
require any prop.  I am One without a second.           

Verse 516:

I am the Soul of all.  I am all.  I am beyond all.  I am One without a second.  I am one universal
consciousness.  I am perpetual Blissfulness Itself.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2016, 11:13:13 AM »
Verse 517:

This acme of blissfulness that is within me (my own property).  I have become heir to now by the
thy grace and mercy, O benevolent One, I bow down to thee.  I bow down.

Verse 518:

Oh, I have been dreaming all this time a great dream and traveling in a great forest created by Maya,
where birth and death and  all kinds of troubles and pain afflicted me all the time, and the tiger of ego
afflicted me immensely.  Thou, O Master, awakening me from that dream. save me forever.

Verse  519:

I bow down to thee, O prince of Teachers, who art the only Reality, who art pure Consciousness.
It is He alone who shines in His own glory in the form of this world.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2016, 11:35:00 AM »
Benediction:

Verse  520:

Now, looking unto his disciples who had attained the blissfulness of Samadhi and had awakened
for ever in the consciousness of the Self, the great Master with his heart full of joy, addressed these
words to him:

Verse 521:

This world is nothing but Brahman, because Brahman is the only Reality.  See this always with your
spiritual eye, with unruffled mind, and in all circumstances.  What is there to be seen by the eyes
except only the objects of sight?  In like manner, to him who knows Brahman, what is there -
wherever his intellect may play -- except the Reality?

Verse 522:

Who is there that would like to give up the enjoyment of the Supreme Blissfulness and be satisfied  with 
emptiness?  When the full moon is shining in the sky to gladden the hearts of all,who cares to see a
picture of the moon?

Verse 523:

By the thought of things unreal, there is no happiness whatever, nor the cessation of pain.
Therefore, by the thought of that One, indivisible Bliss, live in the Eternal by being constantly watchful
of the Atman.

Verse 524:

Seeing your own Self everywhere -- knowing thine own Self to be one everywhere -- enjoy
blissfulness in the Self and so pass your time, O great Soul!           

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2016, 10:38:30 AM »
Verse  525:

To see many in that one, indivisible, changeless, Self is like building castles in the air. So, being one,
full of that blissfulness, and attaining the supreme peace, be quiet forever.

Verse 526:

This quiet state is the state of great peace, where the intellect ceases to think about the unreal
and where the knower of Brahman -- the great soul - enjoys the blissfulness of oneness always
by being one with Brahman.

Verse 527:

For one who has realized his own Self, there is no further state more pleasant than this quietness,
which comes from the absence of all desires.

Verse 528:

He feels delight in his own Self, and though he may be walking, standing, sitting, or lying on his back,
or in any state whatever, he remains satisfied in his own Self -- always thoughtful.

Verse 529:

He who has known the Truth, for him there can be no rule as to place, time, position, direction,
purpose, or anything.  There have no control over him.

Verse 530:

Knowledge does not require any medium to know that 'this is a pitcher';  what rule is required
except the real nature of the thing?  To know one's own Self, what rules  -- what conditions --
are necessary?

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.