Author Topic: The Alchemy of Sri Bhagavan:  (Read 1634 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
The Alchemy of Sri Bhagavan:
« on: December 14, 2015, 03:53:08 PM »
This is an article by Pingali Surya Sundaram,  in Mountain Path, Jan-Mar. 2015.

The year was 1984.  Two very significant events of my life occurred that year.

The first was some time in the month of February, I was at Madras, where I spent a little over
two decades by then).  And I used to regularly attend the weekend talks of Sri J. Krishnmurti,
who usually visited Madras during the winter months. One evening (when there was no talk),
Krishnaji was about to go by car to the nearby beach.  The car was waiting for him in the portico.
At a distance of about 15 yards, some twenty five of us stood in a semi circle to have the darshan
of the seer. Krishnaji came down the steps and was about to step into the car but he looked in our
general direction and instead of getting into the car, walked towards us.  He stopped just in front
of me.  I reverentially joined my palms in a namaskaram while my eyes closed involuntarily. He
clasped my hands at which I opened my eyes.  He said gently. 'Don't  have so much respect for me.
Sir, I am nobody.'  Saying  that he let go his clasp and after casting a  deep, penetrating look at me
walked back to the car.  Needless to say, all of us assembled there was so astonished at his modesty
and courtesy.           

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: The Alchemy of Sri Bhagavan:
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 04:17:19 PM »
By November 1984. I moved to Calcutta on transfer.  A day or two after my occupying 
the residential flat allotted to me by the Government, I called on my neighbor, a Tamizhian,
and introduced myself to him.  In their drawing room on their center table, I happened to
notice a copy of Mountain Path, and very casually turned over the cover page. For the first     
time I saw a picture of Sri Ramana Maharshi and was stunned by it.  I said to myself that   
it would be  wonderful to possess the picture. But I did not feel free to ask for it nor did I
say anything about it to my acquaintance and returned to my flat. To my utter surprise
on the following day that gentleman cut the picture from the magazine and gave it to me.
I was overjoyed and thanked him profusely. In due course, I got it framed.  At that time
I knew nothing of Sri Bhagavan as during the my stay at Madras, I was more into the
teachings of JK.  From that day onwards, I have  been offering flowers to that picture of
Sri Bhagavan.

So it may not be inappropriate If were dare claim that Sri Bhagavan beckoned on His own.

In 1987. I moved to Hyderabad, retired from service on superannuation and settled down there.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 03:18:12 PM »
In 1987, I moved to Hyderabad, retired from service on superannuation and settled down there.

It was early in 1988. that I attended a Satsangh for the first time at Ramana Kendram and became
acquainted with Prof. K. Subrahmanian, an ardent devotee of Sri Bhagavan who had the privilege
of being with and interacting with Sri Bhagavan.  Prof. Subrahmanian became a good friend of mine.

I keep asking myself what exactly the influence of Sri Bhagavan had been and marvel at his alchemy.

Owing to the wrong priorities during my working life I did not set myself any lofty goals. All that I
was interested in was carrying out a good career for myself and strove to achieve it.  But my
ambition was thwarted and my attempts were futile. Instead of accepting the situation I became
almost perpetually melancholic and this showed in my relationship.    It was this sorrowful disposition
that Sri Bhagavan eradicated from me.  Jagadeeswara Sastri says, 'Sri Bhagavan bestows peace on those
who worship Him.'  Like wise, Ganapati Muni addresses Sri Bhagavan as the 'destroyer' of sorrow.
I can vouch for the authenticity of these assertions. 

With the removal of sorrow a certain calmness and peace slowly descended on me. This did not     
happen overnight. It was gradual imperceptible but sure.  It was real but ineffable.  When I
realized that I am no sadhaka I cannot fail to recognize my extraordinary good fortune, at Sri
Bhagavan's  response to my feeble prayers. I did face some difficult situations now too but I no longer
worry about them.

Post retirement life and old age are dreaded by most people.  But Sri Bhagavan's grace this has been
the most rewarding phase of my life.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 12:48:40 PM »
Health-wise, of course, it has been a disaster.  I had a stroke of temporary paralysis and three heart
attacks, the last of which occurred in March 2014.  My recovery from the last, according to the doctors,
was nothing short of a miracle for a man my age,  (I will turn 84 shortly).  The miracle undoubtedly
was wrought by Sri Bhagavan.

This distressing medical history did not, surprisingly, affect me mentally.  It is the physical infirmity
that haunts most elderly people and renders them depressed. By Sri Bhagavan's grace, no such thing
happened in my case. 

One of my earlier afflictions was a loss of self esteem caused by my failure to make a mark in my career.
I realize now that it was entirely stupid of me to have set myself a rather difficult target. My competence,
apparently, did not match my ambition.  But I did not recognize this then.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 03:13:26 PM »
Sri Bhagavan in a very miraculous way turned me into a prolific writer of Telugu books about Him and
His teachings. These were published during the period 1994-2014. Most of them are translations which
have been generously patronized by Telugu-reading devotees, which have been generously patronized
by Telugu-reading devotees. Of the ten books I was privileged to write, I will make a mention of three,
all biographies of Sri Bhagavan.  The first of these is a translation of Self Realization by B.V.Narasimha
Swamy, into Telugu with the title Athma Sakshatkaram.  This book fetched me an award from the
Sahitya  Academy (National Academy of Letters) in 2002. The second is Sri Ramana Leela in Telugu
by Krishna Bhikshu which I translated into English under the same title.  Both the translations are Sri
Ramanasramam Publications.  The third book is an original biography in Telugu, with the title Ramaneeyam,
written and published by me in 2012.    This book incorporates information about Sri Bhagavan not found
in any other Telugu biography on Sri Bhagavan and hence it has become very popular. These three and
other works have given me immense satisfaction and restored my self esteem in the sense that my life,
after all has not been entirely useless.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 11:11:43 AM »
There are numerous sayings of Bhagavan, which set me thinking and helped me change my attitude
towards life.  I will mention two of them.

The first is what young Venkataraman told His mother,  who came in 1898, to beg Him to return home:

'The Ordainer controls the fate of all souls, in accordance with their past deeds  -- their prarabdha karma ...'
For all practical purposes this may be taken as the first Upadesa of the future Sadguru; one which has got
eternal validity. Is it not true that all the conflict and suffering in life is due to our inability to accept the
facts as they are and our propensity to resist them?  Pondering over this and trying to implement this
Upadesa gives great peace.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 11:46:57 AM »
Again in Akshara Mana Maalai, Verse 75, Sri Bhagavan says, 'Unattached to the physical frame
composed of five elements, let me forever repose happy in the sight of Thy Splendor, Oh Aruachala'.
I think this particular verse has a larger connotation than attachment to the physical body only.
It extends to our attachment to progeny, possessions, and other mattes which stem directly from
our physical existence.  It is this attachment that acts as a veil and prevents us from beholding
the Almighty.  Hence the key to peaceful existence lies in cultivating detachment.  This is easier said
than done.  But there is no escape from this in the long run.

In conclusion I must confess that I am no great sadhaka. I am just an ordinary devotee who is a
recipient of Sri Bhagavan's abundant Grace. The purpose of this article is to show how the Grace
has operated in me so far.  I can only pray, 'Do as Thou will then, my beloved, but grant me only
ever-lasting love for Thy Feet'*, and await His pleasure. 
(Necklet of Nine Gems, Verse 7.)

(concluded)

Arunachala Siva.