Author Topic: To Sri Ganesha  (Read 1530 times)

shiba

• View Profile
To Sri Ganesha
« on: September 03, 2015, 02:45:28 AM »
 The following verses were written by Bhagavan To Sri Ganesha. But I can't understand the meaning of it clearly. Did Ganesha make Shiva into a begger?? What is the meaning "lived everywhere just to support Your own huge belly"? I am very glad if someone are kind enough to answer my questions :).

Him who begot you as a child you made
Into a beggar; as a child yourself
You then lived everywhere just to support
Your own huge belly; I too am a child.
Oh Child God in that niche! Encountering one
Born after you, is your heart made of stone?
 I pray you look at me!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: To Sri Ganesha
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 06:41:20 AM »
Dear shiba,

This is just for fun.  Ganesa took whatever was found eating and He took all food that was present.
Thus He made Siva a  beggar since He had to search for food for the son 's sake.

Arunachala Siva.

shiba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 01:59:41 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply, Mr. Subramanian.R :)

Siva had to search for food for Ganesha , but why he was described as "beggar"? Did he have to beg food from someone? Is it just a sort of expression of humor?

Ganesha lived everywhere to support his own belly. What is the real meaning of it? Why he was so hungry?

Is there any Hindu scriptures to describe the stories related to this poem?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 03:16:43 PM »
Dear shiba,

Ganesa is pictured as ever hungry god.  His fat belly is shown in the pictures with this idea
in mind.   Siva goes for begging since Ganesa has to be fed! Though Siva's wife and Ganesa's
Mother is Annapurani, one who gives food every human and other beings!  In Kasi, she is called
Annapurani!

Arunachala Siva.     

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 09:00:35 PM »
Shiba,
The Verse by Sri Bhagavan is what may be termed as 'Nindha Stuti' or a Prayer through endearing Criticism-The Devotee is on intimate terms with the Deity that he does not hesitate to even criticize the Deity in order to catch attention!
Here Ganesha is the Roly Poly, well fed child God,child of Siva who himself is a mendicant!(We may appreciate and enjoy the contrast here).It is not to be taken literally that Ganesha made siva a Beggar.
Sri Bhagavan,the Devotee is accusing (Nindha Stuti) the well fed Roly Poly  Ganesha of turning his father siva into a mendicant.He further says that Ganesha is only taking care of himself by fattening his belly.
(The Figure Of Lord Ganesha as the Roly Poly Child does not symbolize  Hunger-but the supreme Satisfaction of the Self or PoorNa Brahman).Ganesha represents PoorNa Brahman-The wholesomeness and the Bliss of it.He is Pranava Swaroopa(OM in sanskrit script is figuratively like the head and pot belly of Lord Ganesha)
Sri Bhagavan then says that he is the Younger brother of the Lord and that it is time that Lord Ganesha looks at him ,'as being born after him'-
He says "Encountering one Born after you, is your heart made of stone?  I pray you look at me!"
How endearing and Charming!

Namaskar

shiba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 03:06:17 AM »
Thank you very much for your two replies :)

I haven't noticed this poem is 'Nindha Stuti'. Then it is like Arunachala Aksharamanamalai. Some verses in Aksharamanamalai blame arunachala in a friendly tone. Such initmate expression of respect to God may be typical only in Hindu culture.

> the Roly Poly Child does not symbolize  Hunger-but the supreme Satisfaction of the Self or PoorNa Brahman

I have misunderstood that the Roly Poly symbolize un-satisfaction, craving. It is really the other way round.

PoorNa Brahman is always there, but sometimes we devotees asked Bhagavan to give us Grace. I feel that Bhagavan pretended to be such devotees  ;).

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 09:23:50 AM »
shiba,

I haven't noticed this poem is 'Nindha Stuti'. Then it is like Arunachala Aksharamanamalai. Some verses in Aksharamanamalai blame arunachala in a friendly tone.
Yes indeed.

Such initimate expression of respect to God may be typical only in Hindu culture.
It never struck me as such but now that you point out ,it does look like it!

At the beginning of Akshara mana malai,Sri Bhagavan invokes the Grace of Lord Ganesha:

To offer a Fragrant Garland of letters that befits the Supreme Lord Arunachala
O Compassionate Ganapathy,Do lend thy Gracious hand and guard me!

The Ganesha Chaturthi  is celebrated every year-and this year it will be on 17th of this month.You may refer to our previous posts on this aspect of the Supreme Being,Lord Ganesha here:
http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7168.0

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=8000.0

Namaskar