Author Topic: Pooja for unmarried girls  (Read 13046 times)

PKar

• View Profile
Pooja for unmarried girls
« on: July 26, 2015, 03:02:40 AM »
To all devotees,

Can you recommend a stotra or mantra to be chanted by unmarried girls to get married to a nice person and have a happy married life?
I came across Swayamvara Parvathi stotram but I do not know proper method of chanting. Please guide me.

Thanks

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Pooja for unmarried girls
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 07:51:59 AM »
There is an incident in Bhagavan Ramana's life when some one came for the marriage of their daughter and he recommended a verse from Saint Arunagiri Gathar's Thirupugazh and asked them to chant the same and soon that girl got married .I am not aware of that verse but I am sure Sri Subramaniam Sir will know more about this incident and also the verse and guide accordingly .Also Saint Thirugnana Sambandhar has song some beautiful pathigams for cure of many problems and I will check whether there is any pathigam for unmarried girls to get married soon .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 09:35:45 AM »
Pkar,
You may like to check Srimad Bhagavatham(I am not aware of any text greater in authority than this excellent and perennially inspirational work of Veda Vyasa and expounded by none other than the Great suka Brahmam himself).Herein the Gopis pray to Godess Katyayani to win Lord Krishna as husband-and this episode is the inspiration behind that Great Tamizh composition TiruppAvai composed by the peerless Lady AndAL.This Tiruppavai and the other composition vaaraNam Ayiram  if chanted will give all auspiciousness-including the birth of Good Children,as Lady AndAL herself gives the guarantee in verse 11 of vAraNam Ayiram:
AndAL,daughter of PeriyAzhwAr of Sri Villipuththoor,Luminary of the famed vEyar clan,has sung this reverie of her fancied celestial wedding with bhagavan Sri Krishna in this pristine Tamil garland of ten(twice-five) verses;whoever recites it will be Blessed with illustrious children and be ever happy.
(Verse 11 of vAranam Ayiram from NachchiyAr Tirumozhi)
I know you may not know Tamizh ,yet there are persons who recite Tiruppavai with the help of Bengali ,telugu and script in other languages as well.Ofcourse,I do not expect that you will be in a position to do it.
You may however read this excerpt from Srimad Bhagavatham to gain the needed Shraddha which is what matters in these matters.Please refer:
http://www.iskcondesiretree.com/page/katyayani-vrata-begins-1
This gives the way the Gopis went about their vrata.This spirit,if imbibed would lead to all that is auspicious and in this auspiciousness will be included all that is good for us in this world-and that would include gaining the hand of a virtuous and Noble spouse as well.
Wishing you the very Best.
Namaskar

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 09:42:54 AM »
Dear PKar,

The song suggested by Sri Bhagavan is in Tiruppugazh, songs in praise of Muruga.  This starts as 'Neelam koL mEgathin mayil meethe...'You can ask the girl to read/sing this song. I shall give you the song in Tamizh after sometime, if you do
not know it already.

நீலங்கொள் மேகத்தின் ...... மயில்மீதே
   நீவந்த வாழ்வைக்கண் ...... டதனாலே
      மால்கொண்ட பேதைக்குன் ...... மணநாறும்
         மார்தங்கு தாரைத்தந் ...... தருள்வாயே

வேல்கொண்டு வேலைப்பண் ...... டெறிவோனே
   வீரங்கொள் சூரர்க்குங் ...... குலகாலா
      நாலந்த வேதத்தின் ...... பொருளோனே
         நானென்று மார்தட்டும் ...... பெருமாளே.

neelang koL mEgaththin mayilmeedhE: Mounting the peacock of the hue of blue cloud,

nee vandha vAzhvaik kaNdadhanAlE: You set out on a majestic procession. Looking at that beautiful sight,

mAl koNda pEdhaikku: this girl is passionately in love with You.

un maNanARum mAr thangu thAraiththandh aruLvAyE: Would you not graciously give her the garland that sways on Your fragrant chest?

vEl koNdu vElaip paNd eRivOnE: Once, You wielded the spear, and the sea was completely dried up.

veerang koL sUrarkkung kulakAlA: You are the God of Death for the entire clan of the brave demons.

nAl andha vEdhaththin poruLOnE: You are the substance of all the four fine scriptures, namely Rigg, Yajur, SAma and AtharvaNa.

nAn endru mAr thattum perumALE.: You proudly beat Your chest declaring that You are the one inherent in all lives, Oh Great One!

Arunchala Siva.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:03:25 AM by Subramanian.R »

PKar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 10:42:54 AM »
Dear Subramanian R,

The girl does not know Tamizh language. Is this song available in Hindi or Sanskrit?

Regards,
PKAR

Dear PKar,

The song suggested by Sri Bhagavan is in Tiruppugazh, songs in praise of Muruga.  This starts as 'Neelam koL mEgathin mayil meethe...'You can ask the girl to read/sing this song. I shall give you the song in Tamizh after sometime, if you do
not know it already.

நீலங்கொள் மேகத்தின் ...... மயில்மீதே
   நீவந்த வாழ்வைக்கண் ...... டதனாலே
      மால்கொண்ட பேதைக்குன் ...... மணநாறும்
         மார்தங்கு தாரைத்தந் ...... தருள்வாயே

வேல்கொண்டு வேலைப்பண் ...... டெறிவோனே
   வீரங்கொள் சூரர்க்குங் ...... குலகாலா
      நாலந்த வேதத்தின் ...... பொருளோனே
         நானென்று மார்தட்டும் ...... பெருமாளே.

neelang koL mEgaththin mayilmeedhE: Mounting the peacock of the hue of blue cloud,

nee vandha vAzhvaik kaNdadhanAlE: You set out on a majestic procession. Looking at that beautiful sight,

mAl koNda pEdhaikku: this girl is passionately in love with You.

un maNanARum mAr thangu thAraiththandh aruLvAyE: Would you not graciously give her the garland that sways on Your fragrant chest?

vEl koNdu vElaip paNd eRivOnE: Once, You wielded the spear, and the sea was completely dried up.

veerang koL sUrarkkung kulakAlA: You are the God of Death for the entire clan of the brave demons.

nAl andha vEdhaththin poruLOnE: You are the substance of all the four fine scriptures, namely Rigg, Yajur, SAma and AtharvaNa.

nAn endru mAr thattum perumALE.: You proudly beat Your chest declaring that You are the one inherent in all lives, Oh Great One!

Arunchala Siva.

PKar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 10:45:33 AM »
Dear Ravi N,

Thank you for your advice. Can you guide the girl regarding Rukmini Kalyanam as well? Which chapters are required to be read and what is the procedure?  http://vedabase.net/sb/10/en1 I refer to this website since the girl does not know Tamizh but can read English well.

Thanks,
PKAR

Pkar,
You may like to check Srimad Bhagavatham(I am not aware of any text greater in authority than this excellent and perennially inspirational work of Veda Vyasa and expounded by none other than the Great suka Brahmam himself).Herein the Gopis pray to Godess Katyayani to win Lord Krishna as husband-and this episode is the inspiration behind that Great Tamizh composition TiruppAvai composed by the peerless Lady AndAL.This Tiruppavai and the other composition vaaraNam Ayiram  if chanted will give all auspiciousness-including the birth of Good Children,as Lady AndAL herself gives the guarantee in verse 11 of vAraNam Ayiram:
AndAL,daughter of PeriyAzhwAr of Sri Villipuththoor,Luminary of the famed vEyar clan,has sung this reverie of her fancied celestial wedding with bhagavan Sri Krishna in this pristine Tamil garland of ten(twice-five) verses;whoever recites it will be Blessed with illustrious children and be ever happy.
(Verse 11 of vAranam Ayiram from NachchiyAr Tirumozhi)
I know you may not know Tamizh ,yet there are persons who recite Tiruppavai with the help of Bengali ,telugu and script in other languages as well.Ofcourse,I do not expect that you will be in a position to do it.
You may however read this excerpt from Srimad Bhagavatham to gain the needed Shraddha which is what matters in these matters.Please refer:
http://www.iskcondesiretree.com/page/katyayani-vrata-begins-1
This gives the way the Gopis went about their vrata.This spirit,if imbibed would lead to all that is auspicious and in this auspiciousness will be included all that is good for us in this world-and that would include gaining the hand of a virtuous and Noble spouse as well.
Namaskar

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 10:56:19 AM »
Dear Pkar,

Tiruppugazh is available in original Tamizh, Kannada, Telugu and English only.

Arunachala Siva.

PKar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 11:04:54 AM »
Dear Subramanian R,

Thank you so much. Are you aware of any other method the girl can adopt? Since she does not know the languages, she is afraid of mispronouncing if she reads the song in English.

Regards,
PKAR

Dear Pkar,

Tiruppugazh is available in original Tamizh, Kannada, Telugu and English only.

Arunachala Siva.

PKar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 11:15:05 AM »
Dear atmavichar,

Thank you. The girl does not know Tamizh. Can you recommend in English, Hindi or Sanskrit?

Thanks,
PKAR

There is an incident in Bhagavan Ramana's life when some one came for the marriage of their daughter and he recommended a verse from Saint Arunagiri Gathar's Thirupugazh and asked them to chant the same and soon that girl got married .I am not aware of that verse but I am sure Sri Subramaniam Sir will know more about this incident and also the verse and guide accordingly .Also Saint Thirugnana Sambandhar has song some beautiful pathigams for cure of many problems and I will check whether there is any pathigam for unmarried girls to get married soon .

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 11:15:37 AM »
Dear PKar,

She can read Soundarya Lahari, a Sanskrit work, by Sri Sankara.  This needs purity for girls.  They can read only
after bath, and before food.  It is prohibited during the three days of the month.

Arunachala Siva.   

PKar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 11:26:56 AM »
Dear Subramanian R,

Thank you for your response. Which verses of Soundarya Lahiri are recommended and how many times should she chant?

Regards,
PKAR

Dear PKar,

She can read Soundarya Lahari, a Sanskrit work, by Sri Sankara.  This needs purity for girls.  They can read only
after bath, and before food.  It is prohibited during the three days of the month.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 11:37:30 AM »
Dear PKar,

All verses, that is 100.  Or at least 10 per day.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 12:49:19 PM »
Dear PKar

From what you have written it seems that the Girl knows Hindi / Sanskrit and hence best text for her to read is Soundarya Lahiri as suggested by Sri Subramaniam . It is better to read / listen the entire Soundarya Lahiri in 1 or 2 days instead of picking a particular verse ( as that must be done only by a competent person who is competent in the Mantra Sashtra ) .

The following link gives the youtube audio + text of the entire Soundarya Lahiri and it takes around 1 hr .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI-jSHLzkCw

The other alterantive is to read Sundara Kandam from Ramayana ( either from Valmiki Ramayana in Sasnkrit or Tulasidas Ramayana in Hindi .The following link gives the audio & text of the entire  Valmiki Ramayana and you can pick the Sundara Kandam from this list and complete the entire Sundara Kandam in 1 week or 40 days .

http://www.valmiki.iitk.ac.in/

Basically first create an auspicious atmosphere in the house for an auspicious activity to take place and best way to create an auspicious atmosphere is to light a lamp and  do prayers daily ( either Chant Soundarya Lahiri , Sundara Kandam , Vishnu Sahasranamam etc )  at a particular time by all the family members together and also visit temple once a week and these are the general guidelines and once you follow these general principles for some time you will get specific inputs on how to take the matter further .
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:52:00 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 01:02:28 PM »
PKar,
Please review your question and think deeply:
Can you recommend a stotra or mantra to be chanted by unmarried girls to get married to a nice person and have a happy married life?
Just what is meant by "nice Person' and 'happy married life'?This depends on what values we cherish and it is good to review these values and benchmark them with great ones who have gone the way and shown us the way.This is why we read such portions from Great scriptures like Srimad Bhagavatham and TiruppAvai.Before we go further,I would caution against a 'quickfix' solution-which is to say 'Do this daily or chant this daily'-There are no quickfixes and no such mantra that can like a magic wand bring about the desired result.
To get to the bottom of things we need to understand the principle behind -the Great principle is that of the law of karma that governs the external facts of life.One of the aspects of this law of karma is this-Nothing happens by chance in this world.We get what we Deserve,although it is the supreme Lord who has ordained thus.
This means that if we have to get 'happily married' to a 'nice person' we must deserve that happiness and be that 'Nice Person'.This means that we have to take responsibility to bring about the needed change in our life and being.This is the very objective of all vratas and observances-and it is this objective that is kept in mind when the advice to read this portion or that portion in any scripture.One is shown what is needed to increase one's deserving quotient-and if this deserving quotient is increased through tapasya,it automatically draws the desired object or person towards oneself.This is the spirit of 'swayamvara'-Swayam means 'by oneself' and vara means that which is supreme and hence the Bridegroom will be a 'varan' -one with such a quality.Through Tapasya one deserves and  gets this sort of 'swayamvara'
There is no other shortcut.
I have covered the tapasya aspect in the tiruppavai thread-I warmly recommend that you go through it patiently.
Just like if we water and manure a tree at its root,we automatically get the flower and the fruits-in living life with a spiritual foundation,we will be assured of happiness in this very world , a happy family well founded in the life of Spirit.

You may find the Tiruppavai thread here:
http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7430.0
You may read the English translation of the Tiruppavai verses by Sage T G Narayanasamy and the commentary.Tiruppavai is a great work without parallel-in that it is not just a Hymn but also a scripture that guides step by step and leads the disciple by the hand.

Please note that one has to address the whole of Life and Living -and not focus on the immediate need which is to get married to a nice person-How to ensure that one begets healthy and virtuous children,how to bring them up and above all-how to not forget the main purpose of Life,which is securing God Realization unalloyed happiness for oneself and those dependent on us.Life will keep on posing one challenge after another and what is the sure shield against the travails of this river of uncertainty called Life.
In reading the Bhagavatham,Verses of Tiruppavai or chanting Soundarya lahari or any other verse-one is expected to steep oneself in the spirit of these Great works.Only then it would yield the desired result.If we do with right earnestness,we are sure to lay permanent assets for ourselves,family and children.
You may wonder about the mechanics of this sort of an approach-I shall illustrate this by one possibility or scenario.Let us say that the girl gets truly immersed in spiritual verities,she may perchance go to a spiritual Satsangha and perhaps her parents accompany her there.There they may chance to meet another family and who have similiar aspirations-and where their son or son of  some other acquaintance of theirs is looking for the hand of  Girl with a spiritual background-and surprisingly bring about a quick match.
If we carefully examine this factor,it is not difficult to realize that we get what we deserve.It is thus important that we pay attention to the values we cherish and increase our deserving quotient.If we have this sort of an attitude,then a simple smarana of 'Durga' 'Durga' -chanting or even without that even is enough.No need to learn something unfamiliar.
Namaskar. 

PKar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 12:57:49 AM »
Dear Ravi N,

Thank you for your response. After putting your thoughts in perspective and deep contemplation, I understand your point. I will communicate your message to the girl.

It is also true that the girl in question is very good. She belongs to a good family, is very God fearing and of good character. She focused her mind on studies all these days. She is also good looking and kind. She has taken it upon herself to do some sort of pooja or chant some mantra to get a like minded husband who is supportive and good.

Regards,
PKAR

PKar,
Please review your question and think deeply:
Just what is meant by "nice Person' and 'happy married life'?This depends on what values we cherish and it is good to review these values and benchmark them with great ones who have gone the way and shown us the way.This is why we read such portions from Great scriptures like Srimad Bhagavatham and TiruppAvai.Before we go further,I would caution against a 'quickfix' solution-which is to say 'Do this daily or chant this daily'-There are no quickfixes and no such mantra that can like a magic wand bring about the desired result.
To get to the bottom of things we need to understand the principle behind -the Great principle is that of the law of karma that governs the external facts of life.One of the aspects of this law of karma is this-Nothing happens by chance in this world.We get what we Deserve,although it is the supreme Lord who has ordained thus.
This means that if we have to get 'happily married' to a 'nice person' we must deserve that happiness and be that 'Nice Person'.This means that we have to take responsibility to bring about the needed change in our life and being.This is the very objective of all vratas and observances-and it is this objective that is kept in mind when the advice to read this portion or that portion in any scripture.One is shown what is needed to increase one's deserving quotient-and if this deserving quotient is increased through tapasya,it automatically draws the desired object or person towards oneself.This is the spirit of 'swayamvara'-Swayam means 'by oneself' and vara means that which is supreme and hence the Bridegroom will be a 'varan' -one with such a quality.Through Tapasya one deserves and  gets this sort of 'swayamvara'
There is no other shortcut.
I have covered the tapasya aspect in the tiruppavai thread-I warmly recommend that you go through it patiently.
Just like if we water and manure a tree at its root,we automatically get the flower and the fruits-in living life with a spiritual foundation,we will be assured of happiness in this very world , a happy family well founded in the life of Spirit.

You may find the Tiruppavai thread here:
http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7430.0
You may read the English translation of the Tiruppavai verses by Sage T G Narayanasamy and the commentary.Tiruppavai is a great work without parallel-in that it is not just a Hymn but also a scripture that guides step by step and leads the disciple by the hand.

Please note that one has to address the whole of Life and Living -and not focus on the immediate need which is to get married to a nice person-How to ensure that one begets healthy and virtuous children,how to bring them up and above all-how to not forget the main purpose of Life,which is securing God Realization unalloyed happiness for oneself and those dependent on us.Life will keep on posing one challenge after another and what is the sure shield against the travails of this river of uncertainty called Life.
In reading the Bhagavatham,Verses of Tiruppavai or chanting Soundarya lahari or any other verse-one is expected to steep oneself in the spirit of these Great works.Only then it would yield the desired result.If we do with right earnestness,we are sure to lay permanent assets for ourselves,family and children.
You may wonder about the mechanics of this sort of an approach-I shall illustrate this by one possibility or scenario.Let us say that the girl gets truly immersed in spiritual verities,she may perchance go to a spiritual Satsangha and perhaps her parents accompany her there.There they may chance to meet another family and who have similiar aspirations-and where their son or son of  some other acquaintance of theirs is looking for the hand of  Girl with a spiritual background-and surprisingly bring about a quick match.
If we carefully examine this factor,it is not difficult to realize that we get what we deserve.It is thus important that we pay attention to the values we cherish and increase our deserving quotient.If we have this sort of an attitude,then a simple smarana of 'Durga' 'Durga' -chanting or even without that even is enough.No need to learn something unfamiliar.
Namaskar.