Author Topic: Tevaram - Some select verses.  (Read 268785 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Tevaram - Some select verses.
« Reply #675 on: August 18, 2015, 11:10:36 AM »
The following verse and the Padigam has been composed and sung by Tiru Navukkarasar, on
Siva, in the temple of TiruvaiyaaRu.  This is in 4.092 of Saiva Canon.

The location of the temple, the names of Siva and Uma, the holy tree, the holy tirtham - all these
details have been given in the first Padigam on TiruvaiyaaRu, see elsewhere in this serial post.   

சிந்திப் பரியன சிந்திப்
பவர்க்குச் சிறந்துசெந்தேன்
முந்திப் பொழிவன முத்தி
கொடுப்பன மொய்த்திருண்டு
பந்தித்து நின்ற பழவினை
தீர்ப்பன பாம்புசுற்றி
அந்திப் பிறையணிந் தாடும்ஐ
யாறன் அடித்தலமே.

Coiled by a cobra wearing the crescent moon, that rises in the evening, the feet of Siva in TiruvaiyaaRu,
who dances, are seen.  Though one is finding it, difficult to meditate upon as such, the feet shower
the honey in good condition abundantly.  Appearing before them who succeed in meditating upon them, overcoming all obstacles, honey is the bliss granted by Siva,  in this life granted liberation from bondage
will do away with the accumulated karmas,  which are with the soul crowded, dark in color and binding it.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 11:15:33 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 18, 2015, 11:28:21 AM »
The following verse and the Padigam has been composed and sung by Tiru Navukkarasar on Siva,
in the temple of Tiruk KaNdiyur Veerasthanam.  This is in 4.093 of Saiva Canon.

The  temple is in TiruvaiyaaRu taluk, Thanjavur District.  One can go by bus from Thanjavur.

This is a Veerasthanam, that is one of the eight places of Siva's heroic sports. Here, Siva,
removed one of the heads of Brahma.   

Siva -Veerashthaneswarar.

Uma - Mangala Nayaki.

Holy tree - Bhilva tree.

Holy tirtham -  Dhakha, Brahma and Kapala tirtham, three tanks.

வானவர் தானவர் வைகல்
  மலர்கொணர்ந் திட்டிறைஞ்சித்
தானவர் மால்பிர மன்னறி
  யாத தகைமையினான்
ஆனவ னாதிபு ராணனன்
  றோடிய பன்றியெய்த
கானவ னைக்கண்டி யூரண்ட
  வாணர் தொழுகின்றதே.

Worshipping daily Siva, by placing flowers which the celestial beings and people of this world
who are famous by their munificence, with flowers brought by them,  Siva,  who has the greatness
of not being known to asuras, Vishnu and Brhama,  and the One who has a Bulli is the very old
primordial One. What a wonder the inhabitants of heaven worship in Tiruk KaNdiyur,  the hunter
who spot an arrow at the pig which ran to kill Arjuna in the distant past!

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:32:16 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 18, 2015, 12:38:39 PM »
The following verse and the Padigam has been composed and sung by Tiru Navukkarasar, on Siva,
in the temple of Tirup Padirip Puliyur, another name for Cuddalore.  This is in 4.094 of Saiva Canon.

This temple is in Tirup Padirip Puliyur taluk, Cuddalore district.  One can go by by from Cuddalore,
Chidambaram  or Pudutherry.

Siva -  ThOnRath ThuNai Nathar.

Uma - Mangala Nayaki.

Holy tree - Padiri tree.

Holy tirtham - Kedilam river. 

ஈன்றாளு மாயெனக் கெந்தையு
  மாயுடன் தோன்றினராய்
மூன்றா யுலகம் படைத்துகந்
  தான்மனத் துள்ளிருக்க
ஏன்றான் இமையவர்க் கன்பன்
  திருப்பா திரிப்புலியூர்த்
தோன்றாத் துணையா யிருந்தனன்
  றன்னடி யோங்களுக்கே.

Siva, who felt joy in creating the three worlds, being my Mother, my Father and children of the same
parents. He  condescended to be seated in my mind.  as  He shows affection towards the celestial beings,
who do not wink. To us who are His devotees He is an unseen companion in Tirup Padirip Puliyur.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:44:20 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 18, 2015, 12:46:25 PM »
The following verse and the Padigam has been composed and sung by Tiru Navukkarasar, on Siva,
in the temple of Tiru Veezhimizhalai.  This is in 4.095 of Saiva Canon.

The location of the temple, the names of Siva and Uma, the holy tree, the holy tirtham --
all these details have been given in the first Padigam on Tiru Veezhimizhalai, see elsewhere in the
serial post.

Sage Vyagrapada prayed to Siva here.  One rishi Manangan got his defect on his leg cured here.

Here, both Tiru Jnana Sambandhar and Tiru Navukkarasar got a gold coin each, to sell and buy
food stuffs to feed the famine stricken people of the town.     

When Mahavishnu was praying to Siva with 1000 lotuses and when one lotus was short, He
applied His eye and completed the puja.  Siva, graced Him with disc.   

வான்சொட்டச் சொட்டநின் றட்டும்
   வளர்மதி யோடயலே
தேன்சொட்டச் சொட்டநின் றட்டுந்
   திருக்கொன்றை சென்னிவைத்தீர்
மான்பெட்டை நோக்கி மணாளீர்
   மணிநீர் மிழலையுள்ளீர்
நான்சட்ட வும்மை மறக்கினும்
   என்னைக் குறிக்கொண்மினே.

In addition to the crescent moon, which sheds its rays, pouring in the sky its moon-light, You placed
on your head the beautiful konrai flowers,  from which honeys flows, dripping by drops, by its side.
You are the husband of Uma whose looks are like those of the female deer!
You who are in Tiru Veezhimizhalalai, which has water like sapphire. Even if I forget you entirely
guard me carefully.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:57:40 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 18, 2015, 01:00:36 PM »
The following verse and the Padigam has been composed and sung by Tiru Navukkarasar on Siva,
in the temple of Tiruch Chakti Mutram.  This is in 4.096 of Saiva Canon.

This temple is in Kumbakonam taluk,  Thanjavur district.  One can go by bus from Thanjavur
or Kumbakonam.

Siva - Sivak Kozhunthu Nathar.

Uma - Periya Nayaki.

Holy tree - Bhilva tree.

Holy tirtham - Choola tirtham, a tank.

Tiru Navukkarasar got the marks of trident and lingam on his shoulders for which he requested here,
and Sakti got them for him in Nallur.

கோவாய் முடுகி யடுதிறற்
  கூற்றங் குமைப்பதன்முன்
பூவா ரடிச்சுவ டென்மேற்
  பொறித்துவை போகவிடின்
மூவா முழுப்பழி மூடுங்கண்
  டாய்முழங் குந்தழற்கைத்
தேவா திருச்சத்தி முற்றத்
  துறையுஞ் சிவக்கொழுந்தே.

The God holding in His hand a fire that is making a loud noise!  He is Sivak Kozhunthu, dwelling in
Tiruch Sakti Mutram.  Before the God of death which has the strength to kill and having eminence,
hastens to take away my life, stamp your footprints on him, which are like the lotus flowers. If you send me
without doing so. reproach which will never die, will envelope you.  Tiruch Sakti Mutraam - the temple of Sakti is whre  she was request by Tirunavukkarasar, to stamp the marks of tirdent and lingam and it
was fulfilled in Nallur about which he has composed a Tandakam,  referring to this act of Siva.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:12:32 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 19, 2015, 08:49:00 AM »
in the temple of  Tiru Nallur. This is in 4.097 of Saiva Canon.

This temple is in Valangaiman taluk,  Tiruvarur district.  One can go by bus from Tiruvarur.

Siva - Kalyana Sundareswarar.

Uma - Kalyana Sundari.

Holy tree -  Bhilva tree.

Holy tirtham - Sapta Sagara tirtham, a tank.   

அட்டுமின் இல்பலி யென்றென்
  றகங்கடை தோறும்வந்து
மட்டவி ழுங்குழ லார்வளை
  கொள்ளும் வகையென்கொலோ
கொட்டிய பாணி யெடுத்திட்ட
  பாதமுங் கோளரவும்
நட்டநின் றாடிய நாதர்நல்
  லூரிடங் கொண்டவரே.

Siva, who dwelt in Nallur,  and the Master who danced with a killing cobra, and a raised foot in
accordance ith measuring time by the sound of cymbal coming often to the entrance of houses
saying,  "Please give me alms in this house."  What is the idea of snatching the bangles of ladies
from whose tresses of hair honey is flowing?  (The ladies referred to here are the wives of the sages
in Daruka forest.)

Arunachala Siva.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:54:35 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 19, 2015, 08:57:09 AM »
The following verse and the Padigam has been composed and sung by Tiru Navukkarasar, on
Siva, in the temple of TiruvaiyaaRu.  This is in 4.098 of Saiva Canon.

The location of the temple, the names of Siva and Uma and the holy tree, the holy tirtham --
all these details have been given in the first Padigam on TiruvaiyaaRu, see elsewhere in this
serial post.

அந்திவட் டத்திங்கட் கண்ணியன்
  ஐயா றமர்ந்துவந்தென்
புந்திவட் டத்திடைப் புக்குநின்
  றானையும் பொய்யென்பனோ
சிந்திவட் டச்சடைக் கற்றை
 யலம்பச் சிறிதலர்ந்த
நந்திவட் டத்தொடு கொன்றை
  வளாவிய நம்பனையே.

Will I say that the God who entered into the region of my low mind and stayed there permanently,
and who is in the holy place of TiruvaiyaaRu,  and who has a chaplet of a crescent moon, which
appears circular in the evening, is not an existing think? Only Siva, worthy of our confidence on
whose head konrai flowers are combined with East indian rosebay which blossoms a little as it is
washed by the waters in he collection of matted locks, coiled into a form of a circle.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:00:29 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 19, 2015, 09:02:36 AM »
in the temple of Tiruk Kacchi Ekambam, Kanchipuram.  This is in 4.099 of Saiva Canon.

The location of the temple, the names of Siva and Uma, the holy tree, the holy tirtham ---
all these details have been given in the first Padigam on Tiruk Kacchi Ekambam, Kanchipuram,
see elsewhere in this serial post.

ஓதுவித் தாய்முன் அறவுரை
  காட்டி அமணரொடே
காதுவித் தாய்கட்ட நோய்பிணி
  தீர்த்தாய் கலந்தருளிப்
போதுவித் தாய்நின் பணிபிழைக்
  கிற்புளி யம்வளாரால்
மோதுவிப் பாய்உகப் பாய்முனி
  வாய்கச்சி யேகம்பனே.

O Lord!  You taught works on moral instruction, making me understand them.  You are the cause
for the Jains to put an end to my life, by making me embrace their religion.  You cured me of my
difficulties, physical ailments and mental worries.  Residing within me You made me embrace Saivam,
again.  If I commit any wrong in my service to you, you lash me with a tender twig of the tamarind
tree.  You will be pleased with me.  You will be angry with me. You,  the Lord of Tiruk Kacchi Ekambam,
can do anything to me.

Arunachala Siva.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:09:36 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 19, 2015, 09:11:22 AM »
in the temple of Tiru Innambar. This is in 4.100 of Saiva Canon.

The location of the temple, the names of Siva and Uma, the holy tree, the holy tirtham --
all these details have been given in the first Padigam on Tiru Innambar,  see this serial post elsewhere.

மன்னு மலைமகள் கையால்
   வருடின மாமறைகள்
சொன்ன துறைதொறுந் தூப்பொரு
   ளாயின தூக்கமலத்
தன்ன வடிவின அன்புடைத்
   தொண்டர்க் கமுதருத்தி
இன்னல் களைவன இன்னம்ப
    ரான்றன் இணையடியே.

The twin feet of Siva, in Tiru Innambar,  were gently rubbed by the hands of the daughter of the
permanent Mountain, Himalayas,  who is His wife.  The pure meaning of each and every branch of
knowledge which are found in the great Vedas, they have the shape of the fertile lotus flowers.
He will weed out the sufferings of the loving devotees, issuing the ambrosia of His grace.

Arunachala Siva.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:16:38 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 19, 2015, 09:20:47 AM »
in the temple of Tiruvarur.  This is in 4.101 of Saiva Canon.

all these details have been given in the first Padigam on Tiruvarur, see elsewhere in this  serial post. 

குலம்பலம் பாவரு குண்டர்முன்
  னேநமக் குண்டுகொலோ
அலம்பலம் பாவரு தண்புனல்
  ஆரூர் அவிர்சடையான்
சிலம்பலம் பாவரு சேவடி
  யான்றிரு மூலத்தானம்
புலம்பலம் பாவரு தொண்டர்க்குத்
  தொண்டராம் புண்ணியமே.

Siva has a glittering matted locks,  and He is in Tiruvarur,  which has cool water that makes
a sound and washes away sins. He has red feet on which the anklet is making a jingling sound.
There is religious merit of becoming slaves to the devotees of Siva in Tirumoolasthanam, the sanctum of
Tiruvarur temple,  to which they come bathing in the flood of tears as they weep.  Is it available to us
also in the presence of low people, Jains, who live in groups and possess excessive strength.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:24:59 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 19, 2015, 10:03:13 AM »
in the temple of Tiruvarur.  This is in 4.102 of Saiva Canon.

all these details have been given in the first Padigam on Tiruvarur, see elsewhere in this serial post.

வேம்பினைப் பேசி விடக்கினை
   யோம்பி வினைபெருக்கித்
தூம்பினைத் தூர்த்தங்கோர் சுற்றந்
   துணையென் றிருத்திர்தொண்டீர்
ஆம்பலம் பூம்பொய்கை ஆரூர்
  அமர்ந்தான் அடிநிழற்கீழ்ச்
சாம்பலைப் பூசிச் சலமின்றித்
  தொண்டுபட் டுய்ம்மின்களே.

O the people who are slaves to worldly and sensual pleasures!  Speaking words, which people do
not like, like the margosa leaves, etc., nourishing the body made of flesh, closing up the stomach,
you feel complacent thinking that your relations are your companions.  Under the shade of the feet
of Siva, who dwell with desire in Tiruvarur, which has natural tanks in which white lily is growing.
smearing yourself with holy ash, without deception being stead-fast in your devotions, without
wavering, save yourselves by becoming His devotees!

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:07:20 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 19, 2015, 10:09:25 AM »
The following verse and the Padigam, has been composed and sung by Tiru Navukkarasar, on Siva,
in the temple of Tiru Nagaik KAroNam, Nagappattinam.  This is in 4.103 of Saiva Canon.

The location of the temple, the names of Siva and Uma, the holy tree, the holy tirtham -- all
these details have been given in the first Padigam on Tiru Nagaik KAronNam, Nagappattinam, --
see elsewhere in this serial post. 

வடிவுடை மாமலை மங்கைபங்
  காகங்கை வார்சடையாய்
கடிகமழ் சோலை சுலவு
  கடல்நாகைக் காரோணனே
பிடிமத வாரணம் பேணுந்
  துரகநிற் கப்பெரிய
இடிகுரல் வெள்ளெரு தேறுமி
  தென்னைகொல் எம்மிறையே.

Siva, who has as one half of His form,  the beautiful daughter of the great Mountain, Himavan,
-the One who arrested the speed of the Ganga,  in His long matted locks.  He is Siva, in Nagaik KAronam,
Nagappattinam,  on the sea-shore, surrounded by gardens that spread fragrance!
When the female elephant, male elephant having must, attractive horse, remain to be used as Your
vehicles. O our Master!  What is the reason for riding on a big white Bull which bellows like thunder?

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:16:04 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 19, 2015, 10:19:37 AM »
in the temple of Tiru Adigai Veerasthanam. This is in 4.104 of Saiva Canon.

The location of the temple, the names of Siva and Uma, the holy tree, the holy tirtham -
all these details have been given in the first Padigam on Tiru Adigai, Veerasthanam, see
elsewhere in this serial post.

மாசிலொள் வாள்போல் மறியும்
  மணிநீர்த் திரைத்தொகுதி
ஊசலை யாடியங் கொண்சிறை
  அன்னம் உறங்கலுற்றால்
பாசறை நீலம் பருகிய
  வண்டுபண் பாடல்கண்டு
வீசுங் கெடில வடகரைத்
  தேயெந்தை வீரட்டமே.

Having played in the swing of the collection of water which has gems in it and rolls up and down like
the bright sword which has no blemish the swan with bright feathers goes to sleep.  Hearing humming of the bees, which drank the honey in the blue nelumbo flowers which has green leaf, resembling music.
This is Tiru Adigai Veerasthanam, where our Father is on the North bank Kedilam, which gives gems
found in it, liberally.

Arunachala Siva.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:24:54 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 20, 2015, 08:58:53 AM »
in the temple of Tirup Pugalur.   This is in 4.105 of Saiva Canon.

This temple is in Nagappattinam taluk, Nagappattinam district.  One can go by bus from Nagappattinam
or Tiruk KaNNapuram.

Siva - Vardhamaneswarar.

Uma - KarunthaaL Kuzhali Ammai, one who has got flowing dark tresses of hair.

Holy tree - Punnai tree.

Holy tirtham -   Agni tritham.

In every Chaitra (Chittiarai) month, on Sadhayam (Sadhabhisha) star day, the festival for Tiru
Navukkarasar is celebrated in the temple.

தன்னைச் சரணென்று தாளடைந்
  தேன்றன் அடியடையப்
புன்னைப் பொழிற்புக லூரண்ணல்
  செய்வன கேண்மின்களோ
என்னைப் பிறப்பறுத் தென்வினை
  கட்டறுத் தேழ்நரகத்
தென்னைக் கிடக்கலொட் டான்சிவ
  லோகத் திருத்திடுமே.

I approached the feet of the God in Tirup Pugalur, which has a garden of mast-wood trees, as my
refuge.  Hear what all he does when I approached His feet.  Completely exterminating my birth
cutting as under completely the bondage of my karmas,  He has decided that I should not dwell in
the seven kinds of hells.  He will fix me permanently in Sivalokam.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:07:34 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 20, 2015, 09:09:17 AM »
in the temple of Tiruk Kazhippalai.  This is in 4.106 of Saiva Canon.

The location of the temple, the names of Siva and Uma, the holy tree, the holy tirtham -
all these details have been given in the first Padigam on Tiruk Kazhippalai, see this serial post
elsewhere.

நெய்தற் குருகுதன் பிள்ளையென்
  றெண்ணி நெருங்கிச்சென்று
கைதை மடற்புல்கு தென்கழிப்
   பாலை யதனுறைவாய்
பைதற் பிறையொடு பாம்புடன்
   வைத்த பரிசறியோம்
எய்தப் பெறின்இரங் காதுகண்
   டாய்நம் மிறையவனே.

The crane of the maritime tract mistaking to be its young one, having gone near it found you as Lingam.
You who reside in the beautiful Tiruk Kazhippalai,  where it embraces the petals of the fragrant screw-pine.
our Lord!  We are unable to understand your idea of keeping the young crescent moon along with the
serpent.  If one gets near the other it will not take pity on the other --   if the crescent comes near the
serpent, the serpent will swallow it without pity !

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:15:38 AM by Subramanian.R »