Author Topic: Bhagavan Sri Ramana-Words of Grace  (Read 4252 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Bhagavan Sri Ramana-Words of Grace
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:15:07 AM »
V.: It is said only some are chosen for Self-realisation and those alone could get it. It is rather discouraging.
B.: All that is meant is, we cannot by our own buddhi, unaided by God's grace, achieve realisation of Self.

Day by Day with with Bhagavan
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:33:48 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Sri Ramana-Words of Grace
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 06:31:04 AM »
D.: What is Jnana Marga?
M.: Concentration of the mind is in a way common to both Knowledge and Yoga. Yoga aims at union of the individual with the universal, the Reality. This Reality cannot be new. It must exist even now, and it does exist.Therefore the Path of Knowledge tries to find out how viyoga(separation) came about. The separation is from the Reality only.

Talks with Sri Ramana maharshi

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 09:27:24 AM »
சாப்பா டுன்னைச் சார்ந்துண வாயான் சாந்தமாய்ப் போவ னருணாசலா .

Food art thou ,at-one-ment with you I serenely became food(for thee),Oh Arunachala!

Akshara mana malai,verse 28 -Sri Bhagavan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 08:09:59 AM »
D: How can I attain Self-realization?
M: Realization is nothing to be gained afresh, it is already there. All that is necessary is to get rid of the thought 'I have not realised'. Stillness or peace is Realization. There is no moment when the Self is not. So long as there is doubt or the feeling of non-realization, the attempt should be made to rid oneself of these thoughts. They are due to the identification of the Self with the not-Self.When the not-Self disappears, the Self alone remains. To make room, it is enough that the cramping be removed; room is not brought in from elsewhere.

Maharshi's Gospel
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:35:12 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 04:14:27 PM »
In 1938 on account of bad company I was assailed by sexual thoughts. "Alas! How am I to redeem myself?" -worrying thus deserting food and sleep and after crying earnestly for three days, there still was no peace of mind. At last I thought of divulging this to Sri Bhagavan and seek a remedy. In the night when Sri Bhagavan was going out, I approached and sought his advice saying: "Because I was assailed by sexual thoughts on that day, I have not had proper food and sleep for the last three days. What will be my fate since this is recurring often?"

After keeping mum for a couple of minutes Sri Bhagavan graciously said: Why should one continue to dwell on a bad thought that had occurred in the past? If one enquires 'For whom this thought occurred?' it would take flight.?

Sri Annamalai Swami's Diary Notes
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 04:23:42 PM by Ravi.N »

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 09:47:22 PM »

You alone exist, O Heart, the radiance of Awareness.
In You a power mysterious dwells, a power which without You is nothing.
From it (this power of manifestation) there proceeds, along with a perceiver,
 a series of subtle shadowy thoughts which,
 lit by the reflected light of mind amid the whirl of prarabdha,
 appear within as a shadowy spectacle of the world
and appear without as the world perceived by the five senses
as a film is projected through a lens.
Whether perceived or unperceived, these (thoughts) are nothing apart from you,
O Hill of Grace.

Sri Arunachala Ashtakam verse 6
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:30:05 PM by Jewell »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 03:49:55 PM »
19-10-45 Morning
A barrister from Bombay asked Bhagavan, "I have read the works of Bhagavan and others and, though I can understand them intellectually, I have not been able to realise anything in experience. I have tried Bhagavan's method for about six years and yet I have not made any progress. When I meditate, other thoughts come. For people like me, living in cities and doing our work and coming here only occasionally, what sadhana would Bhagavan advise so that we may succeed better than I have so far been able to do?"
Bhagavan: Your real nature is always there, your meditation, etc., come only temporarily. Reality being your Self, there is nothing for you to realise. All that is required is that you should give up regarding the unreal as real, which is what all are doing. The object of all meditation, dhyana or japa is only that, to give up all thoughts regarding the not-self, to give up many thoughts and to keep to the one thought.
As for sadhana, there are many methods. You may do vichara, asking yourself 'Who am I?' or, if that does not appeal to you, you may do dhyana 'I am Brahman' or otherwise, or you may concentrate on a mantra or name in japa. The object is to make the mind one-pointed, to concentrate it on one thought and thus exclude our many thoughts, and if we do this, eventually even the one thought will go and the mind will get extinguished in its source.
Visitor: In actual practice I find I am not able to succeed in my efforts. Unless Bhagavan's grace descends on me I cannot succeed.
Bhagavan: Guru's grace is always there. You imagine it is something, somewhere high up in the sky, far away, and has to descend. It is really inside you, in your heart, and the moment (by any of the methods) you effect subsidence or merger of the mind into its source, the grace rushes forth, spouting as from a spring, from within you.

Day By Day with Bhagavan
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:52:22 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 04:08:51 PM »
30-10-45 Afternoon
Dilip Kumar Roy read out a poem in English composed by him on Bhagavan and sang some songs before Bhagavan. Later he asked Bhagavan, "While all say Guru's direction is necessary it seems Bhagavan has said a Guru is not necessary."
Bhagavan: I have not said so. But a Guru need not always be in human form. First a person thinks he is an inferior and that there is a superior, all-knowing and all-powerful God who controls his own and the world's destiny, and worships him or does bhakti. When he reaches a certain stage and becomes fit for enlightenment, the same God whom he was worshipping comes as Guru and leads him on. That Guru comes only to tell him 'The God is within yourself. Dive within and realise.' God, Guru and the Self are the same.
Roy: But in Bhagavan's case there was no Guru.
Bhagavan: The whole world was my Guru. It has been already said that Guru need not be in human form and that the Self within, God and Guru are the same.
Roy: I once asked my Gurudev (i.e., Sri Aurobindo) about this and he said, "A spiritual Hercules like Bhagavan needs no Guru."
Bhagavan: Everything in the world was my Guru. Don't you know that Dattatreya, when he was asked by the king which Guru had taught him the secret of bliss, replied that the earth, water, fire, animals, men etc., all were his Gurus and went on explaining how some of these taught him to cling to what was good and others taught him what things he should avoid as bad.

Day By Day with Bhagavan
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:11:11 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 07:20:58 AM »
D: How can the rebellious mind be made calm and tranquil?
M: Either see its source so that it may disappear, or surrender yourself so that it may be struck down. Self-surrender is the same as Self-knowledge, and either of them necessarily implies self-control. The ego submits only when it recognises the Higher Power.

Maharshi's Gospel

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 07:00:38 AM »
D: How shall I reach the Self?
M: There is no reaching the Self. If Self were to be reached, it would mean that the Self is not here and now but that it is yet to be obtained. What is got afresh will also be lost. So it will be impermanent. What is not permanent is not worth striving for. So I say the Self is not reached. You are the Self; you are already That.
The fact is, you are ignorant of your blissful state. Ignorance supervenes and draws a veil over the pure Self which is Bliss. Attempts are directed only to remove this veil of ignorance which is merely wrong knowledge. The wrong knowledge is the false identification of the Self with the body, mind etc. This False identification must go, and then the Self alone remains.
Therefore Realization is for everyone; Realization makes no difference between the aspirants. This very doubt, whether you can realise, and the notion 'I have- not-realised' are themselves the obstacles. Be free from these obstacles also.

Maharshi's Gospel
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:33:56 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 07:52:58 AM »
D:After leaving this Ashram in October, I was aware of the Presence that prevails in Sri Bhagavan's presence enfolding me for about ten days. All the time, while busy in my work, there was an undercurrent of that peace in unity; it was almost like the dual consciousness which one experiences while half-asleep in a dull lecture. Then, it faded out entirely, and the old stupidities came in instead. Work leaves no time for separate meditation. Is it enough constantly reminding oneself 'I AM', while at work?

M: (After a short pause). If you strengthen the mind, that peace will continue for all time. Its duration is proportional to the strength of mind acquired by repeated practice. And such a mind is able to hold on to the current. In that case, engagement or no engagement in work, the current remains unaffected and uninterrupted. It is not the work that hinders but the idea that it is you who are doing it.

Maharshi's Gospel
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:58:45 AM by Ravi.N »