Author Topic: Going Back the Way We came:  (Read 943 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Going Back the Way We came:
« on: February 11, 2015, 09:48:16 AM »
This is an article by Sriram Ananthanaryanan in the Mountain Path, October -December 2014.

An amusing incident took place a few years ago, during one of my visits to Sri Ramanasramam.  Late one evening,a  small frog
entered my cottage through the bathroom window. Inadvertently, I went rather close to him. It is difficult to say which one of
us was more surprised.  The little one expressed his surprise by leaping off the wall and onto the floor below.I made a rapid
exit out of the bathroom. A little later,the small frog found his way to the living room. I had to find a way to evict this visitor
from my room.By tapping a stick close to where he sat, I hoped to coax this unwelcome guest to make an exit through the
main door.  He moved a couple of feet, in the correct direction, but then he reversed course and jumped right back, barely
avoiding me!  I had to come up with a better strategy. There was plastic dustbin in my room. If I could succeed in placing
the dustbin over the little one,then I could drag the dustbin across the room and evict the visitor through the main entrance.
With dustbin in hand,I approached him. With one quick movement, I placed  the bin over the spot where he was seated, but
he was quicker with an agile jump that would envy of an Olympic athlete. After a few unsuccessful attempts, I had to abandon
this strategy as well. Somehow I managed to get him back into the bathroom, closed the door and retired for the night.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Going Back the Way We came:
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 09:30:10 AM »
As I awoke early next morning, I gingerly stepped inside the bathroom.There he was,sitting inside the bucket.I,took a
doormat and covered the bucket in one quick action. Ha, he was still inside! However my exultation was short lived as this
modern day Houdini escaped from the bucket in no time, and sat nonchalantly on the bathroom wall!  I had to throw in the
towel! May Bhagavan's Will be done! With this prayer, I closed the bathroom door and went  into the living room.     

After a few minutes, I entered the bathroom once again, hoping to take my bath somehow.
To my amazement and great relief, the little visitor had disappeared! I thanked Bhagavan for His Grace. The frog had gone
out through the window.Although I had made many attempts to catch him and send him out through the main door,
He went back only by the way he came!

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 09:43:07 AM »
Later, I read about an incident that had taken place in the physical presence of Sri Bhagavan.  In the Hall, where Bhagavan
used to sit, there was a chimney lamp, which was closed on all sides, with a steel mesh except the bottom. One day,
a small bird entered into this chimney through the bottom. One day, a small bird entered into this chimney through bottom.
Forgetting the way it came, it made desperate attempts to escape through all the closed routes. Taking this as an unsuccessful
because they are directed upwards, the way of bondage, instead of downwards, the way it came.  Similarly, a man's efforts
to attain freedom are unsuccessful they are directed outward,the bondage, instead, the way he came.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 12:35:55 PM »
On another occasion, (Suri Nagamma), a young man, having traveled a long way to reach Sri Ramanasramam, requested
Sri Bhagavan to tell him the path to Moksha. With a smile, Bhagavan said, 'All right then, go back the way you came.
Bhagavan left the Hall.  The perplexed young man turned to others in the Hall in obvious discomfiture. One of them explained
to the young man that Bhagavan's words meant that if one investigates and pursues the path from which the 'I' arises, one
will attain Moksha.  The book Who am I? was then given to the young man, who was astonished at this interpretation.
He then left the Hall taking Bhagavan's words as Upadesa.

Bhagavan's emphasis on Atma Vichara, the quest to know one's true nature, can be supported by scientific observation
and reasoning.The body is ever changing.  Science reveals that the average life time of cells in the human body is about
seven years.  The body of a young man is entirely different from that of his childhood even at the levels of cells in the body.
Therefore, one cannot be the body.  What about the mind? The mind is only a flow of thoughts. Thoughts are fleeting and
can be observed. So, thoughts are also objects, though subtle and not the subject. Therefore, one cannot be the mind.
The question therefore arises naturally,'If I am not the body or the mind, then who am I?  In Upadesa Saram Bhagavan
points out that the I-thought, the limited notion of a separate self is the root of all thoughts, and states:

When one turns within and searches
Whence this I thought arises,
The shamed I vanishes.
And the wisdom's quest begins.(19)

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.