Author Topic: My Spiritual Journey with Bhagavan  (Read 1419 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
My Spiritual Journey with Bhagavan
« on: February 07, 2015, 06:55:51 AM »
This is an article that appeared in Oct.-Dec.2014 issue of Mountain Path.This is by R.Ravindran.

Introduction:

Like many people I was not concerned about spiritual matters for many years  until I married my caring wife,Sri Kumari,
became father to my two fine sons,Suman and Sajan. I had reached my forties. As a scientist I was engaged in conducting
seminars  and classes in IT Quality Management in my office.  Over a period of time the number of training  days increased
so that I landed in a situation where I spent almost every night thinking about my next seminar or about office problems.
This resulted in sleepless nights which created health problems, I would become  giddy while conducting the courses  during
the day. Suddenly in the middle of a lecture,I would feel a jerk in my head, as I was about to fall down.Somehow with
great difficulty I would manage to continue the lecture by standing before a table,using it as back rest or holding on to it
for support.When I tried to force my mind to sleep, the number of thoughts increased and completely affected my ability
to rest.When my mind was creating unlimited problems for me I thought,'Oh God, Why have you created the human mind?
Have you not made a great  blunder by doing that? You should have left human beings without minds.'

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: My Spiritual Journey with Bhagavan
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 08:41:32 AM »
My first Acquaintance with Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi:

At this time some visitors came to our house. They were devotees of Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi and were family friends of
my in laws. When they talked about Bhagavan, I vaguely remembered His name, as I had heard about Him in my school
days. They told us about their recent visit to Sri Ramanasramam and said that visiting Tiruvannamalai and Sri Ramanasramam
gave a lot of solace and peace of mind.  They said that when people who were mentally distressed because of the death of
close family members or because of disastrous business losses, went to Sri Ramanasramam and sat in the Old Meditation
Hall before Bhagavan's photo, their agitated minds automatically calmed down and they slowly recovered from their distress.

I listened keenly to them and immediately felt a strong urge to know more about Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi as I too felt
mentally disturbed, because  I was not able to calm my mind even when desperately wanting to sleep at  night.  Seeing
my interest, my mother in law  Mrs.Prameela Arunagiri brought me  a book on Bhagavan Ramana borrowed from their friend.
I was very happy and started reading it.

Sri Ramana Maharshi says that the straight path to mind control lies in finding what mind is. His famous book
Who am I?  contains that the answers to all my questions would be found with Sri Ramana.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 07:58:09 AM »
Great Respect for Sri Ramana:

The book gave a lot of details about His life history and His important teachings.  This information about the Maharshi
developed a great deal of  respect for Him in my mind.  His life history itself is a powerful message to mankind.
He lived as He taught and knowing this brought me solace. It took me almost a month to read that book. Every day
I used to tell my wife about what I had read and we used to wonder, how a human being could combine such simplicity
and divinity and be able to stay in one place for 54 years after renouncing normal life at the tender age of sixteen.  We
felt that He must be a divine being, who incarnated as a human being in order to help mankind.  I started thinking about
going to Tiruvannamalai and Sri Ramanasramam at the earliest opportunity.

Meanwhile one day I had a dream, that I was sleeping on my bed and that the Maharshi  was sitting on my bed facing
me and trying to wake me up with His hand, saying like a command in Tamizh: 'Thoongihnathu pothum, yezhunthiru!'
(Enough of sleep, wake up!)

I woke up with a shock, taking some time, to come to my senses. I then realized  that I had been dreaming, looking
around, saw that it was early morning. But still I felt the touch of Sri Ramana on my shoulder. I could hardly believe
that this had been a mere dream, because it felt so real to me.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 12:48:19 PM »
My first visit to Tiruvannamalai:

After a few days, one morning when I got up, I felt very strongly that  I must go to Tiruvannamalai that day.  It was a holiday
and also my birthday.I told my wife that I was going to Tiruvannamalai that very day.  She was surprised but agreed.Normally
on a birthday we would all go to some local temple and spend the time together with our family. However, my desire to go
to Tiruvannamalai was so strong that day that I could not even consider doing these things.  I took a bus to from
Tiruvanmiyur to Saidapet.

At Saidapet bus stand I got another bus, bound for Tiruvannamalai. When I got a seat next to window I felt so happy,
knowing that my journey to Tiruvannamalai had started. While traveling  to Tiruvannamalai I had a strange feeling that is
difficult to explain. I felt as if I was going to see my beloved after a long time. When the bus was nearing Tiruvannamalai,
now and then I got a glimpse of the Hill standing majestically like Lord Siva Himself.  After sometime I saw the full view and\
grand view of the Hill.  My throat choked and I felt like crying. I reached Tiruvannamalai around noon and was in a dilemma
about whether to go to Sri Ramanasramam first or to the Big Temple. I decided to go to the temple first, as Sri Ramana
Himself had done when He came to Tiruvannamalai. So I took an auto and reached the Arunachleswarar Temple.

While there I also went to Patalalingam cellar to which the young Sri Ramana had moved to escape the harassment of the
young boys who had thrown pebbles at Him, probably thinking that He, who was their own age, was just pretending to
be a Sadhu.

contd.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 08:49:55 AM »
My first visit to Sri Ramanasramam:

Next I took an auto to Sri Ramanasramam which is at the foot of the Hill, on its other side of the town.  As I entered the
Asramam a strange feeling overwhelmed me. I felt as if Sri Ramana could see me entering and said to me,'Come, my dear
son!  It took you so long to come to me!  But I am happy that you have come at last.' I sat in the big meditation hall (the
Samadhi Hall) where I saw many foreigners sitting with their eyes closed.  I did not know how to do meditation, so I sat
there with the eyes closed and reflected on Sri Ramana's life history and wondered how a young boy of 16 years, from a normal
life, could leave His home suddenly and attain to such a level of Divinity, attracting so many devotees from across the world while
maintaining silence. 

Then I went to the Asramam book shop and told the counter head that this was my first visit and that I am interested in knowing
about Sri Ramana. He gave me a large  photo of Sri Ramana that could be displayed in the hall of my house. He also gave me
some books, including Who am I? and an audio cassette of the song Akshara  Mana Malai composed by the Maharshi. He advised
me to listen to this song whenever I found time,. He also gave me a book containing all Sri Ramana's poems and their meaning.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 09:47:39 AM »
Then I started interesting myself in the peculiar nature of the mind. I realized that our hands or legs can be moved or stopped
at will. This was a fascinating discovery and I started reading about the mind.

My First Acquaintance with Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi:

At this time some vision came to our house.  They were devotees of Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi  and were family friends of
my in laws. When they talked about Bhagavan, I vaguely remembered His name, as I had heard  about Him in my school
days,  They told us about their recent visit to Ramanasramam and said that visiting Tiruvannamalai and Ramanasramam
gave a lot of solace and peace of mind.  They said that when people who were mentally distressed because of death of
close family members or because of disastrous business losses went to Sri Ramanasramam and satin the Old Meditation
Hall before Sri Bhagavan's photo, their agitated mind automatically calmed down and they slowly recovered from their distress.

My First Visit to Sri Ramanasramam:

.... I sat outside on the Asramam veranda for sometime. It was a peaceful scene-peacocks,monkeys and dogs wandered
about there, living harmony through the blessing of Sri Ramana. I realized that I had at last found my spiritual home and left
Tiruvannamalai that evening, entirely satisfied.  I reached home before dinner.  My family was waiting for me. I narrated
my trip to Tiruvannamalai to them.  Every one listened with great interest and they all agreed that we should make a trip
to Tiruvannamalai together at the earliest opportunity.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 09:35:43 AM »
Visit to Tiruvannamalai with my family:

With in the next  two weeks we all went to Tiruvannamalai.  I took them to all places associated with Sri Ramana.
This time we also visited Virupaksha Cave where Sri Ramana had stayed for several years.I sat in the same cave where
Sri Ramana used to sit and my sons took a photo of me there.

Bhagavan enters our House and becomes also our 'Thatha'.

My wife laminated the photo of Sri Ramana that we had brought in Tiruvannamalai and hung it on the wall in a prominent
place  in our front hall.  So Sri Ramana became our Bhagavan.  Our sons' friends who were not familiar with Bhagavan
Ramana Maharshi thought, at first,that this  was a photo of our sons' Thatha (Grandfather) and that this was why it
had been given such a prominent place in  our Hall. So Bhagavan Ramana also became our 'Thatha'.I also took another
laminated photo of Bhagavan to my office and placed it opposite my table,and I looked through His eyes and listened for
(His) inner voice whenever I needed some help in taking some important decisions. 

We started listening to the song Aksahramanamalai from the cassette we had brought.  It was so nice that we would listen
to it very often.  I started reading Bhagavan's books one by one, and tried my best to understand their meaning. I also
read a book giving the meaning of each verse of Aksharamanamalai.  By then I had totally surrendered to Sri Ramana.
I slowly began developing an inexplicable calmness in my mind and my anxieties gradually started to fade away.  The feeling
evolved that I should do whatever was my duty with complete concentration with utter detachment.I had developed a
strong feeling that that if we could work without ego then Bhagavan would guide us with His Grace, all good things would
happen to our family. Then,by one by one  many significant phenomena, at least for me, started happening in our life.
The following are a list of fortuitous events where I truly felt it was Bhagavan's silent presence which helped us overcome
a distressing situation in our family.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 12:44:46 PM »
Many of my colleagues used to buy flats from different housing schemes. They also persuaded us to try to buy a flat.
As our priority was to educate our sons we did not have any interest in by a flat initially. Later we saw the advantage
of buying a flat. We could get significant income tax reduction if we were repaying a housing loan instead of paying rent.
After sometime we came across an advertisement for flats for sale by Central Government Organizations.  We applied
for one. All the conditions were favorable.But suddenly at the last minute, because of an entirely unexpected obstacle,
we could not buy the flat. All my family members became very upset about it.  I too was depressed for sometime. We
felt that we had missed a great opportunity and that we would not get another chance like that again. 
Slowly by Bhagavan's Grace, we all recovered our equanimity. Some years passed.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.