Author Topic: Site access problems 5th February 2015  (Read 2557 times)

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Site access problems 5th February 2015
« on: February 05, 2015, 08:21:39 PM »
There has been a problem accessing arunachala-ramana.org and my other sites from within India since early this morning.

The server (IP address 82.165.103.34) on which my sites and 146 other unrelated Domains are hosted has been inaccessible to BSNL customers.

I am actively looking into this and have contacted both BSNL and the server host to get to the root of the problem.

In the meantime visitors and members can gain access via any proxy outside of India - I am using one now as I am also affected by the block.

One such service is http://newipnow.com/ - I do not know much about this service but it seems to work. There are many others.

I hope it is resolved soon.

Graham

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Site access problems 5th February 2015 UPDATED
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 05:37:14 AM »
The problem seems to relate to a BSNL (VSNL) IP range that is blocked, probably due to spammers and hackers.

My current IP is 61.3.202.140 - it was 117.204.26.234 first thing this morning and access was blocked. I rebooted my router and got the 61.3.202.140 IP address, and now I can access everything again.

It would appear than any IP address with 117.204.*.* is blocked from accessing the servers in the UK.

Graham

Balaji

• View Profile
Re: Site access problems 5th February 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 02:01:09 PM »
Dear Mr Graham

I have no problem in connecting to arunachala ramana org since yesterday.  I connected several times.  I connect to this site  from Paris .
This is for your information pl.
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 02:06:10 PM »
Dear Sri Graham,

Thanks.I suffered the whole day of yesterday and today up to now. Thanks for re-routing IP and helped all. Even to see your
message, I could not access.

Thanks once again.

Arunachala Siva.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 05:16:45 PM »
Dear Sir

Dr Sundaram faces the same problem. He emailed me just now ."any body posted of similar non accessibility?
can u post this problem of mine so that if possible by some/any the problem might get addressed
regards"

sundaram 
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 05:54:31 AM »
It appears that the blocking of the IP range 117.*.*.* was unblocked early in the afternoon of yesterday, the 6th February (the asterisks replace any other digits in the IP address) and access was regained.

With all ISP's your IP address is dynamic (for the vast majority of people). That means it is not a fixed IP, but will change (or even revert to the same) every time you switch off and then switch on your modem/router.

If you are still having problems then please go to Google and type 'my IP' (without the quotes) into the search box - this will bring up a search results page with various links, but right at the top in large digits you will see your current IP address.

Reboot your modem/router and then search again to see if your IP has changed. If you still have problems accessing this site then please contact BSNL and complain about not being able to access European hosted sites.

============

I will try to explain for those of you who do not understand this.

Service providers (ISP's) are allotted a 'fixed range' of IP addresses (IPv4 or IPv6) for their customers to use. These blocks of IP addresses never change and are therefore area/country specific.

Depending on the size of the ISP it can run into tens or even hundreds of thousands of different addresses, but they will all be within fixed blocks - i.e. 123.0.0.0 to 123.0.250.250, etc.

The IP address that you are automatically assigned when you start your modem/router (which is usually the first available one in a specific block) is like your house address, it enables data to find your computer - it is your return address for anything sent over the internet, etc., otherwise data would never know where it was going.

Because each ISP has a fixed range of IP addresses allotted for its customers to use, they are easily identified and just as easily blocked.

When spammers and hackers carry out their nefarious work, their IP address travels with their data and is recorded at the other end (at different stages in between also). This enables the target to block any IP address from which the problem arises.

Because the majority of people have dynamic IP addresses within the fixed range provided by their ISP, it is often difficult to block troublesome people using just one IP address, so sometimes an entire range of IP addresses are blocked instead. This takes care of the problem, but it also blocks innocent people having any of those automatically assigned IP addresses. It is therefore not a recommended solution to a problem, but a last-ditch resort.

I suspect that this is what happened and it is probably the result of a large quantity of spam or even a 'Distributed Denial of Service' (DDOS) attack coming through a botnet of infected computers in India.

We are powerless when things like this happen. It is the duty of those who run the internet to ensure that it works, and because DDOS attacks are a daily occurrence we might have to put up with this sort of thing more often in the future.

Fortunately these attacks are normally short-lived and the block is then removed after 24 hours.

There is always the hope that people will clean up their computers and get rid of the malware, but it is not a very likely scenario at this time.

Graham