Author Topic: Glory of Arunachala - Eng. translation of Sri Arunachala Mahatmyam:  (Read 3488 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
This is an English translation by M.C. Subramanian.

Invocation:

Suva Mahimna Stotram:

O Hara! Even the words of Brahma and other Gods are inadequate to sing your Glory.  It is therefore impossible for
an ignorant man to speak of your greatness.  Nevertheless, this, my deep desire to describe you as Indestructible,
cannot be wrong.

Even the Srutis could only indirectly describe you as 'not this, not that' and your greatness as being beyond words
and thought. How can one say what you are and who can visualize you?  Yet, how can one remain without thinking
or speaking of your revealed form?  I am inclined to speak of your Glory so that I may become pure.

O Hill Supreme, when you stood as this Column of Effulgence, the utmost efforts of Brahma and Vishnu to realize
your greatness were of no avail.  Later, full of devotion and faith, they praised you and appeared before them! Can
devotion fail to achieve anything?

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Glory of Arunachala - Eng. translation of Sri Arunachala Mahatmyam:
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 08:39:26 AM »
 In the Suta Samhita, it is said: Siva's very form is Linga, hence the term Siva Linga. Later it will be fouhd that the
Supreme Being revealed Himself as this Linga of Fire.

Greatness of Siva Linga as told in the Suta Samhita:

Linga is truly Siva. All is revealed by Siva who is the very essence of Consciousness and Knowledge. Nothing can reveal Him.
Thus the Linga is the sole, Self shining Reality.  In brief, Siva is Consciousness Unmanifest, where Siva Linga is Consciousness
Manifest.

Again it is said that, unto which all merge is Linga.  Everything is resolved into Brahman, but the Supreme Brahman being
the sole Eternal Reality cannot merge into another.  All but Siva merge into Siva.  Therefore Linga is Immortal Siva Himself.
The whole universe is termed Linga, as the former is resolved and absorbed into and manifested from the latter.  But the
Linga is free from any emblem or characteristic mark.

The Linga is unqualified, beyond darkness. It  is the source of the sacred syllable Pranava, OM. It is neither an entity
nor nonentity.  Neither the pervader nor the pervaded, neither the knowledge, nor the knower or the known.  Neither
the manifest, the existing or the unmanifest; neither real nor unreal, or a mixture of the two.  It is only the Self Realized.
It illuminates all by its light.  Neither decaying nor undecaying; neither moving nor inert.  Neither the proof nor the proven.
Neither the vital air nor the mind; neither the seer nor the seen; neither the image nor its reflection; neither visible nor
invisible. It is beyond speech and thought.  It is not the eye, the ear, the nose, the earth, the ether, the vital airs or any
object of the senses -- to realize the Self inquiring in this manner is true worship.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 09:41:07 AM »
This Linga, though not the ether nor different from it, yet reveals it.  Though not light, reveals it. Though not air, yet
it makes it move.  Though not water, yet gives it its nature.

This Linga can be seen on a shining seat in the house of nine gates - never installed there by anyone but having faces, hands,
feet, heads, and seats, in all directions.  It lies beyond darkness. Nothing can be seen there.  It is revealed as the Unqualifed Being
by Vedanta by Vedanta. From it emerges the magnificent earth and is resolved into it.  The three qualities namely, brightness,
activity and darkness (sattva, rajas, and tamas) of which the universe is made, manifests from it.

Its size cannot be estimated, for it has no magnitude. It remains unbroken and unitary. All the spheres of the vast  universe
are located in it.  It has no temple but contains all in itself.  It is the inmost core of all beings.  It is neither Isvara, nor the Jiva
but the Inmost conscious Self, Bliss, Non dual Reality unrelated to Brahma, Vishnu and Rudra, Indra etc., It can be realized
only by the Self. It is the Self, known to oneself and abides within.  This is the Supreme Bliss. There is nothing apart from the three
states of waking, dream, and deep sleep. It is drik - pure, beyond knowledge. Neither the ignorant, not the all knowing individual
or gods in the power of the ego or  maya, can see this Linga.

As this cannot be understood by all, out of His spontaneous infinite mercy, Siva is here manifest as Arunachala, which all can
see and worship.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 09:32:15 AM »
II. The Origin of the Hill:

Here at Arunachala, Siva shines forth as the Yogi Supreme, with His forehead smeared with three lines of sacred ashes
and adorned by a patch of musk, clad in a loin cloth, wearing a brilliant garland, the invincible serpent on His body and
the crescent moon on His head. 

Vyasa said: The holy men of Naimisaranya asked Suta: We desire to know from you about the greatness of Arunachala,
please tell us. Suta,  thereupon described it as follows: 

In former times Sanaka asked Brahma the same question. I shall repeat what Brahma narrated to Sankara. Listen attentively.
The sins of those who listen with faith to this narrowed will be destroyed.  Once upon a time, Sanaka, with hands folded
in salutation asked Brahma: O Creator of the Universe! Lord of the devas! Thou art known through the study of the Vedas!
Four faced One! I have by the grace acquired the ability to know everything. Thou art the Universal Guru! By the grace of
the knowledge of Siva (Siva Jnana), the essence of the Vedas, has become clear.  Ocean of Mercy!  The divine lingas of Siva
on earth, installed by human  beings or siddhas are all of concrete form. Kindly tell me which of these lingas found in the Island
of Jambu (one of the nine islands or land masses into which the earth is divided according to Hindu mythology. India is situated
in this island) is the purest, the best, Self created, full of effulgence and has the virtue of destroying the desire, anger, greed,
delusion, pride and jealousy. Ocean of Compassion! Kindly tell me as to which of these can, by merely thinking of it, destroy
all sins and grant the eternal state of Siva. Please enlighten me about that linga which is the primal cause of the world and which
and which truly represents the imperishable splendor of Siva and the sight of which makes one feel that the supreme aim of life
has been fulfilled.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 11:55:08 AM »
On hearing these eager words of Sanaka, Brahma was pleased. Sitting on the lotus, he meditated on Sambhu (another
name for Siva) for a long time and was immersed in bliss.  In this state, he had a vision of Siva as He had formerly revealed
Himself as a Column of Light. The four faced Brahma lost awareness of surroundings. By Siva's grace, and on His instructions,
Brahma emerged from his trance and noticed Kumara (literally the son, here Sanaka) standing in worshipful attitude . With
hair standing on the end and with tears of Joy brought forth by the vision of "Siva, he spoke in a faltering voice: O Son! You
have made me remember the ancient yoga of Siva.  You have developed supreme devotion to Siva, as a result of great austerities.
Those pure souls who possess unceasing devotion to the Eternal Siva purify the entire world by their lives. To talk, associate
or sport with devotees of Siva, removes all sins; even mere remembrance or sight of them removes all sins.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 10:55:58 AM »
Now I shall describe how Siva, the Ocean of Grace, manifested as Arunachala, the Light of Consciousness. From the Supreme
Effulgence which is Eternal Siva, Naryana and I were born in accordance with His desire.  Both us manifested spontaneously.
Once, out of egoism, we engaged in an argument and started to fight. Seeing the terrible rage into which we had fallen while
quarreling, the Lord reflected: Why should there be a destructive fight between these two, as to who was greater? If I do not
reveal myself immediately to both and stop their fight between these two, the world will cease to exist.  These two who have
their anger lost their senses, do not know the Vedic truth that my glory transcends everything.  Each creature considers itself
superior to every other creature.  The ignorant who cannot realize and concede equality or superiority of another must necessarily
suffer defeat and fall. I shall reveal myself in a definite form somewhere in the world, so that even a mean human being can attain
me the moment he thinks of me.

Having so decided, the Eternal Siva manifested Himself as a Column of Light before us.  The Column transcended all the worlds
and its limits could not be perceived. Blinded by the sight both of us stood still. We became confused and unnerved on seeing
the blazing Column of Effulgence.  Then there arose a voice in the air: Children, why do you fight? Siva alone knows your strength
and weakness. The form of Sambhu has now appeared before you as a Column of Effulgence. He who finds out the beginning
or the end of it is the greater of the two.

contd.,

Arunachala  Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 12:15:01 PM »
Upon hearing these words we stopped fighting. To discover the limits of Sambhu in the shape of a beginning-less and
endless Column of Fire, one of us decided to trace the beginning and the the other the end.  Like a child who tries to seize
the moon, reflected in water, each of us began to measure the Supreme Effulgence in order to understand it. For this purpose
Vishnu in the form of a huge boar began to dig the earth vigorously to find out the lower end. I took the shape of a swan
and soared swiftly to find its summit. Madhava (Vishnu) bored into the earth and went beyond, but found that the Column
of Fire went still lower. Even after seeking for millions of years it was not possible to find out the source of that beginning-less
Column of Fire. Therefore, Vishnu became dispirited and discouraged. He was weary and tired and he was forced to return.

Then, Vishnu, whose intelligence is immeasurable, sought refuge in Siva, the Universal Refuge and began to think thus:
Ah! On account of my immense stupidity caused by my ego, I forgot the Supreme Self, my Lord. He is truly the Supreme
Siva, the source of all devas, the Vedas and the world.  I was born out of Him who is beginning-less and endless. Assuming
the form of a brute I tried to gauge Siva who is of such greatness. By the Grace  of Sambhu, Self Knowledge has dawned on me.
When the Lord Sambhu chooses to protect some one, the person will immediately and spontaneously lose his ego and gain wisdom.
I am no longer strong enough to worship the Universal Guru. Therefore, I shall surrender unto Him. Vishnu praised Siva in this
manner, meditated upon him and by the Grace of the Lord, he regained the surface of the earth.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 09:44:56 AM »
As for me, I was flying for many years until my eyes became dim and my wings tired.  The splendid Effulgence of Siva,
in the form of a Linga of Light rose higher and higher. Siddhas who found me trying to reach the immeasurable top of the Supreme
Effulgence exclaimed: Ah! this is nothing but ignorance. He is still putting forth efforts. Even when the body is about to fall
the ego does not fade away. Even though His wings are broken and wearing and his eyes dim, he is bound in vain delusion
that he can discover the limits of the limitless Effulgence. Vishnu who became similarly despondent, regained good sense
by Siva's spontaneous grace and retraced his steps. If a finite being desires to realize the Effulgence which is the origin
of Brahma and the devas, he should dive within himself and meditate on Siva, the Supreme Self, who will give him the knowledge
so that his ego will vanish.  On hearing these kind words I became humble and began to reflect thus:

Knowledge of Siva can be attained only through Siva's Grace, not through Vedas, nor austerities, nor dips in holy waters.
Even though my wings are tired and my limbs too weak to move, my mind desires to nourish the ego.  Alas! Always active
and dependent on my strength of the non self, I have become despicable. My salutations to the siddhas who have fixed their
minds upon Siva. I shall associate with them and perform austerities. I shall turn my mind inwards and realize this
Effulgence of Siva which appears in front of me.  The devas have conquered their enemies by worshipping Siva an have
crowned themselves with glory.  Even the great Vedic mantras do not throw light on His Reality. Therefore, I shall seek refuge
with Siva. I came into being through devotion to Siva who wears the crescent moon.  Ah! How strange that wit the egos born of
Siva, both Vishnu and I fought each other, and that Sankara Himself revealed His greatness and humbled our pride!  He who
worships the Eternal Siva who is the Lord worshipped by the devas as this column of Light of Consciousness, realizes Siva,
and serves as a boat to cross the ocean of Samdsara.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 09:20:15 AM »
Parvati's Penance at Kanchi:

Sanaka addressed Brahma thus: O Bhagavan!  Having obtained the grace of Siva through you, it has been possible for me
to hear with joy the glory of Arunachala. I now understand that the beginning-less and endless Siva Himself stands as the
Aruna Hill in order to grant the devotee the fruits of His penace, that the Hill destroys all sins and that one obtains Liberation
by merely uttering: Arunachala once. All desires are fulfilled when one stands before it. All tendencies (Vasanas) are destroyed.
The very name Siva is nectar. Repeating the name is itself worship of Siva. Pray, tell me who else worshipped Siva, the bestower
of boons? 

On hearing this, Brahma, the Lord of the celestial beings, mentally prayed to the Lord of Arunachala, the embodiment of
compassion, and resumed his narrative:

Child! I shall now narrate how in the days of yore, the Universal Mother, Goddess Parvati sought and won the left half of her
Lord, Arunachala. Once on Mount Kailasa, it was spring time and the place was filled with the balm incense and scent of beautiful
flowers. Bees swarmed and hummed among the hanging clusters of flowers.  Peacocks spread out their colorful feathers dancing
to the tune of humming bees. Elephants and Lions natural enemies, strolled about in harmony and contentment. Sages
chanted hymns from the Rig, the Yajus and the Sama vedas, last mentioned being most dear to Siva.  Brahmarishis and Rajarishis
were deeply absorbed in the Self, while devas, ganas, the protectors of the quarters and holy devotees of Siva wearing sacred
ash and Rudraksha beads stood in prayerful attitude. Hosts of Apasaras (celestial damsels) sang and danced to the
accompaniment of the sweet sounding veena ( a stringed musical instrument), the Venu, the flute, mridangam ( a small drum)
and other musical instruments. Lord Siva and Parvati, the Universal Parents, sat on their throne in all their glory, pouring their
Grace on their children who were worshipping  them.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 09:52:37 AM »
Devas, rishis, and other hosts of devotees after being granted the boons they desired. prayerfully took leave of their
Lord. Now Lord Siva rejoiced in the company of Goddess Uma on the snow clad peaks of the Himalayan mountains.
A cool and refreshing breeze from the rivers below wafted gently, carrying with it the sweet scent of flowers from the
plains.  In a joyous mood the Goddess, who thought that Lord's attention was entirely centered on Her, slipped behind
Him and playfully covered the three eyes of Sambhu with her lotus like hands, and asked,'Tell me, who is it?'

As soon as the three eyes representing moon, the Sun and the Fire of Knowledge were covered, a dismal darkness spread
over the universe.  It lasted for millions of years because half a moment for Siva is eons for us.  The darkness produced
by the playfulness of the Goddess  proved to be the cause of the untimely dissolution of the worlds, for in the dense darkness
no activities were possible and consequently, living beings perished without giving birth to new generations. The devas became
inert and the Vedas could not be chanted.  By this unforeseen darkness cause and effects were nullified. Seeing the state
of affairs, the ever glorious Siddhas by the yogic powers discovered the cause and but could not comprehend the divine
play of the Lord.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 02:30:07 PM »
The Siddhas prayed to Sambhu with devotion and addressed Him thus: Glory to Sambhu, the origin of of the universe
and the Supreme Immanent Being. The power(Sakti) which is not apart from you sportfully creates, sustains and dissolves
the universe.  She (Sakti) is half of you.  Siva and Sakti together constitute a single form. The great Lord is One. There is
nothing different from you.  An untimely deluge has now overtaken the worlds on account of the Goddess's sport. But
your compassion is infinite. May it reveal itself now for the well being of the universe. Therefore, Sadasiva, Kala, Embodiment
of Compassion! Be merciful. Pray, stop this sport!@

In response to this prayer of devotees, siddhas, Siva, commanded: Gowri! Leave my eyes alone.' Immediately the Goddess
removed her hands from Siva's eyes.  Light pervaded the worlds. On asking Siddhas who stood in an altitude of worship,
as to how much time had elapsed. They replied, 'Half a second for thee, but millions of years for us.' On hearing this Lord
turned with a smile to his beloved and graciously spoke some words on dharma and artha.  'Gowri, how can you be
so thoughtless! You are the Mother of  the worlds but you have been the cause for its dissolution. O, how can you,
the  very embodiment of love and compassion, cause pain to your children?'

On hearing Sambhu's words of reproach, Uma stricken with remorse, pleaded with Him  to advise her as to the course
to be adopted for expiation of this fault of hers. At this Lord Siva was pleased with her repentance and devotion of the
Goddess and said: 'What penance can you perform without me, All dharmas, Smritis, kalpas, various branches of
learning, the devas etc., are all your forms only. You who symbolize my power and who desire to recreate the world
are not different from myself. Goddess! The timeless Vedas declare you to be All.  Therefore I shall prescribe a penance
for you in accordance with prevailing practice. I cannot remain without you even for a moment. Being the universal Self,
I shall myself go through the austerities. Let the entire world become sacred by the glory of your penance. People will
be relieved of all troubles by surrendering at your lotus feet. By having your darshan when you perform austerities and
by association with you they (the devotees) will get sanctified. May you perform meritorious acts for the welfare of all
creation. People will acquire firm faith in dharma by seeing you performing the penance. There is no doubt about it.
Your grace will sustain the earth and its dharma.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »
The city known as Kanchipuri is heaven on earth.  A little penance done there yields boundless results. Even devas, saints and others
desire to live there. There flows the holy river, the Kampa which washes away the sins of all the people living in its vicinity. At that place there
is a divine mango tree which is always shady, full of leaves and fruits. Homas (fire offerings), Japas, (repetition of sacred names), and the least good action performed under its shade yield boundless merit. May the many groups of celestial beings headed by Vishnu surround you and worship you. I shall also remain there in the lotus of your heart in my formless state as the Absolute Pure Being. Therefore you need not suffer the pangs of separation from me.'

On hearing this, the Goddess with her companions proceeded at once to the banks of Kampa to do penance.  There she saw the pure and holy waters of the Kampa worshipped by hosts of sage and a magnificent mango tree full of fruits and flowers among with koels sang and sported. Amidst such a beautiful setting the Goddess meditated on her Lord. Her body tortured by the pang of separation from her Lord.
Immediately she became emaciated as if she had been performing penance for a long time. Turning to Vijaya, one of the maids who stood near her, Goddess Gowri in uncomfortable sorrow spoke thus: 'Those who perform austerities with the object of worshipping Siva directly seek this sin-destroying mango tree and always live here. This well known Ekambra (literally a mango tree which bears just a single
fruit) increases my pain of separation. How am I to bear this?  The sure remedy for this must be to remember and concentrate in
the heart on Chandramouleswara (the wearer of crescent moon, Siva.)

At this Vijaya bowed to Ambika devotedly and praised Siva fervently in order that the Goddess regain her composure.

She said: 'Oh Devi, You will not be abandoned by Siva at anytime. For, you are His very life and the Supreme Sakti. It is only when you
desire to spread out your Maya (power of illusion), that the Lord, though always one with you, appears to be separate. You have come
here at the command of Sambhu to worship Him and you cannot transgress it. You may perform tapas in this temple erected by
Siva without any rituals. Moreover, as you are yourself the world, the protection of the world is in your power. You will again join
Siva and uphold dharma. That being so, Parvati, how can you feel the pain of separation? Devotee of dharma, may your religous
observances become known to the world and set an example to your devotees.'

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 09:38:39 AM »
On hearing her maid speak thus, Gowri continued to practice austerities on the banks of the Kampa. She discarded her fine
clothes and ornaments and wore the bark of a tree as garment and beads of rudraksha.  Her entire body was smeared with
sacred ash.  She subsisted on corn picked by herself. The name of Siva was always on her lips. Thrice a day she bathed in the
Kampa, lovingly shaped its sand into a Linga  and devoutly worshipped it with leaves as traditionally prescribed.  The Goddess
observed dharma of alleviating the misery of all creatures thus showering her compassion on her children. In summer she
surrounded herself with fire lay bare on the ground in the rainy season and stood in ice cold water in winter. She respectfully
welcomed the holy sages (Maharshis) who came to pay homage to her. The Sages were struck with wonder at her austerities.

One day, Parvati collected flowers from the forest and began to worship a Linga made of sand on the bank of the Kampa river.
Siva, to reveal to the world her devotion to Him, made the waters of of the river Kampa suddenly rise and overflow its banks.
Seeing the spate of river her companions raised an alarm, whereupon, the Devi opened her eyes and saw the approaching
flood. Distressed at the danger to her worship, she at once embraced the Linga lest it dissolve. She then addressed her maids
'What is to be done? Worship ought not to be discontinued, come what may. In this world, only those blessed ones who have
acquired merit can reap the benefits of their good deeds and establish dharma which is capable of fulfilling one's desires. This
Sivalinga is made of sand. It will dissolve in this flood. Should this happen, a true devotee of the Lord cannot bear it.  This flood
has risen through the Maya of Siva to test the sincerity of my devotion. I shall continue without the least fear.  Friends! Go away
quickly!' Saying this, Parvati though surrounded by the fast rising waters, devoutly adored the Linga and clasped her breast
and with open eyes meditated on Sadasiva with one pointed devotion.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 09:45:01 AM »
Then a divine voice was heard. O child, noblest of beings! This great flood has subsided. You can now let go of the Linga. This LInga,
worshipped by you will achieve everlasting fame as the one worshipped by the gods and will be capable of granting boons.
May your penance be successful! May the human beings who have darshan and worship this Linga installed for the upkeep
of dharma attain their lives' goal.  I myself shine on this earth in the form of Effulgent Arunachala for the liberation of mortals.
The name signifies that the accumulated sins of the worlds, will completely vanish at the sight of it. Rishis, siddhas, gandharvas,
yogis, etc., come to Arunachala and fervently worship it, forsaking even the peaks of Kailash and Mount Meru.  You may go
there and learn from the sage Gautama about devotion to me and the glory of Arunachala and perform further penance.  I shall
reveal to you my Effulgent Form, there in order that all sins of the world may be destroyed and may prosper.'

On hearing these words of Siva, the Devi said, 'So be it.' and got ready to leave at once for Arunachala. Turning to the Rishis
who desired to follow her, she said, 'Devas! Rishis resolute in religious observances! Remain where you are.  Perform your
austerities on the bank of the sacred Kampa. ,This Linga of sand which removes all sins and brings all kinds of prosperity
bears the marks of my embrace.  Worship it.  Let my devotees know that I shall be known as Kamakshi as I fulfill their desires
and bless them. Let them also worship me and obtain the boons they desire.  I am entirely under the control of Sambhu,
the Lord of the devas. I shall therefore go to Arunachala and carry out His command. After I have performed penance there
and obtained the grace of Sambhu, you may come and see me.'

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 02:32:48 PM »
Gowri arrives at Arunachala:

As narrated previously, Gowri at her Lord's bidding came to Arunachala.  There she worshipped with great fervor the Effulgent Lord,
along with her companions to the sound of divine dhundubis accompanied by dancing of apsaras. As a result of worshipping the motionless Linga in such rigorous manner, she became emaciated.

On arrival the Goddess, saw Siddhas, Yogis, Rishis and Devas, dwelling there. The Devas said, 'Atri, Bhrigu, Bharadwaja, Kasyapa,
Angirasa, Kutsas, Gautama, and Siddhas, Vidhyadharas, and Devas perform severe penances here for the fulfillment of their wishes.
The Ganga and other sacred rivers worship this Linga Hill.  This is the noble and divine Linga known as Arunadri.'

The Maharhsis prayed to her to be their guest, but she expressed desire to see Gautama first as per Siva's command. So they
directed her to his Ashram.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.