Author Topic: Glory of Arunachala - Eng. translation of Sri Arunachala Mahatmyam:  (Read 5589 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Glory of Arunachala - Eng. translation of Sri Arunachala Mahatmyam:
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 12:49:39 PM »
Gautama, foremost among sages, had gone out into the forest in the morning to procure flowers and other articles
for worship.  Devi went to his hermitage where she was received by his disciples with great respect and hospitality.
With the humility they entreated her to wait a little for the sage and sat around her.

Gautma returning from the forest with paraphernalia used for performing rituals, saw from a distance of his ashram glow
in resplendent beauty and wondered as to its cause.  He then divined through his yogic powers that this was due to the
arrival of Gowri. He hastened with great eagerness and joy to welcome the Mother of the Universe.  His disciples came to meet
him and informed him about Gowri's arrival. The elated Maharshi foresaw in the visit of the Goddess the fruition of his austerities.

Goddess Gowri came forward to welcome Gautama. Years of rigorous tapas had endowed him with a radiant countenance.
Sporting  a flowing white beard and red brown rudraksha beads smeared with sacred ash chanting Vedic mantras due to Rudra.
His voice was deep and resonant, and his words brimmed with love and compassion like that of Siva Himself. The Sage
resembled the sun, such was his lustre and benevolence. On seeing that great Sage coming with his band of disciples, Uma
full of divine grace, her slim body resembling a creeper folded her hands respectfully and made obeisance to the Sage.
When Gautama saw the Mother of the worlds bowing to him, he restrained her from doing so and himself bowed to her.
He said: Gowri! Welcome! Auspicious Mother of the Universe! Ocean of Mercy! You seem to have come here for performing
tapas, and yet you shower grace upon your devotees. O Adorable Goddess, but for a play of Maya how can the universe
come into existence! It is impossible for anyone to comprehend or describe your Maya, '.  Saying this old sage welcomed
Ambika.

With humility and respect he offered her a seat woven of sacred grass and water washing her feet. After completing the
worship he took a seat at the bidding of the Goddess. With devotion and bliss overflowing and his voice choking with
emotion, the Sage addressed the Goddess:

Ah! This can surely be the outcome of Shambhu's boundless grace. He who loves His devotees has sent you here with the
object of protecting them.  O Mother! Is  there anything wanting or not attained after seeing you?  Bhagavati! Be so
gracious as to command me, thy servant, as to what I can do for you.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 02:07:30 PM »
GAUTAMA NARRATES THE GLORY OF ARUNACHALA:

On hearing the words of all knowing Maharshi, Ambika praised him and said graciously:

It is because  your glory is so great that Siva, the Lord of the Devas, commanded me to meet you.  You alone have reached
the other shore of the Agamas and Vedas. By your austerities, you alone among the devotees of Siva have become very dear
to Him. My Lord told me that He abides here as Arunachala, and directed  me to learn its glory from you.  I have therefore,
come to practice austerities in the vicinity of Arunachala. By merely seeking you, one will obtain the Grace of the Lord. The
object of taking birth in this world is companionship with devotees of Siva, listening to His praise, and worshipping Him all
His forms. I look upon you as my father for you are the personification of wisdom. Therefore, pray, kindly enlighten me on the
glory of Arunachala. On hearing Gowri speak thus, Gautama, the repository of austerities, meditated upon the Lord for sometime
and addressed the Goddess.

Gowri, you are the embodiment of universal knowledge, and represent Siva's divine illusion as Maya. What have I got to say
about the glory of Arunachala that you are not already aware of!  Probably you love to hear from the lips of devotees about
the greatness of your Lord! To speak of the greatness of Siva is as auspicious as the study and recital of the Vedas.  My austerities
have borne fruit only now. By the grace of Hara and Gowri I am now going to describe the Effulgent glory of Arunachala.
This ancient, sacred lore shall  be listened to with faith, devotion and in rapt attention by generation to come and shall be
known as the glory of Arunachala!

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 05:14:54 PM »
Even a million tongues cannot delineate fully how the formless, Supreme Being  out of compassion  took this holy
form of Arunachala Hill.Nay even if a million Brahmas came together, they would fail to narrate His glory satisfactorily.
Arunachala in this form was in former times worshipped by Brahma, Vishnu, Soma (the moon), Surya (the sun),
Agni (fire), Indra and other devotees like devas, charanaas, yakshas, vidyadharas, gandharvas, nagas, serpents, birds,
divine sages, siddha yogis and others, in order to get rid of their sins and to obtain the fulfillment of their desires.         

contd.,

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 12:48:58 PM »
The Lord of Arunagiri is capable of removing all sins of those who merely see Him and of fulfilling all the desires,of those
who worship him. He is capable of granting liberation even to those who utter the word Arunachala from a distance. 
It is well known that what is called Arunadri is the embodiment of Effulgence. Yogis meditate upon it and attain union
with Siva.  Offerings made, sacrifices done, and japa made in its vicinity yield immeasurable results.

In olden times, Brahma and Vishnu who had come into existence from a tiny part of the Effulgence of Siva, became
egoistic, and wishing to assert their supremacy fought with each other. Sadasiva,in order to destroy their pride,
appeared in their midst as a blazing Column of Fire without beginning, middle or end illumining the entire cosmos.
They desired to ascertain what it was.So they assumed the forms of a swan and boar and proceeded to the sky and
the nether regions respectively.  Seeing them tired and distressed at being unable to find either beginning or end of the
Column of Fire, Bhagavan, the embodiment of compassion, took pity on His children and emerged from the brilliant
Column with the intention of blessing from them and granting the boons desired by them. Their pride now stood completely
annihilated.

contd .,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 09:00:17 AM »
At their request Siva took the form of a motionless Hill known as Arunadri and also consented to abide there eternally
in the form of a Lingam, so that they and other devotees could worship Him as prescribed in the Agamas. This Efflugent
Lingam in the form of a Hill was duly worshipped by the previous ninety six Brahmas, creators of the worlds.

Gautama further related how Tilothama, the celestial damsel, was saved from the amorous advances of Brahma who
in his lust wanted to covet her.  When she sought refuge at the feet of Arunachala, the Lord saved her and chastised
Brahma. Brahma implored Siva for forgiveness. The Lord on His part bestowed His Grace on Brahma and said: 'The time
which has already been allotted to you by me will not undergo any change. Not even the greatest are free from the
evils of desire. Therefore, meditate upon the Effulgent Lingam known as Arunachala and be rid of all your sins. All the evil
produced by mind, speech and body shall be destroyed the moment one beholds Arunachala. This Arunagiri will cleanse
all the sins of those who circumambulate it, prostrate it, remember it and offer flowers, or praise it with devotion.
While mountains like Kailasa and Meru are my places of abode, this Arunagiri is my true form and here I abide eternally
as this Hill. By merely looking at its peak not only will all sins be destroyed but the eye of wisdom will be opened.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 01:20:17 PM »
Once upon a time one of  the Brahmas who had come into existence from a tiny part of my person, bathed in the Pushkarani
bearing his name and got rid of his delusion.  You who are in the form of the world, may also, after bathing in the Brahma
tirtha and after offering flowers to me, silently go round the Hill, and get rid of your sin and be blessed.

On hearing this, Brahma bathed in the pool and worshipped Mahesa who stood in the form of a mountain.  This Brahma worshipped
Arunagiri with great devotion, with a mind made pure by control (yama niyama), got rid of his sins and became the Lord of the world.

Gautama continued:

Once Lord Narayana, the protector of the universe, having a thousand tongued serpent Adisesesha (representing intellect
and knowledge) as His couch, was reclining in the ocean of milk, absorbed in yoga nidra and oblivious to the dissolution of
the universe.  The whole cosmic space was enveloped in complete darkness.  The Sages were worried over this state of affairs.
They prayed to Lord Siva.  The Lord manifested  Himself before them with the object of protecting the universe.  From the
Effulgent  Sambhu, thirty three crores of devas emerged as sparks and scattered in all directions.  These devas went to Vishnu
and informed him of what had happened.  He pondered: Overcome by darkness (ignorance) I fell into an untimely sleep,forgetting
my real nature. Sadasiva, the supremely Effulgent Being, seems to have revealed His form in order to wake me up and taken
upon Himself the task of creating the worlds. What remains for me or Brahma to do?

Then meditating on Sadasiva, Vishnu prostrated before Him and repeatedly saluted Him.  Thus he absolved himself of his omissions.
Whereupon, the protector of those who seek refuge in Him, blessed Vishnu with compassion and bade him rise. Vishnu then
stood up and prayed thus:

Lord of the three worlds!  Thou who once destroyed the three cities of the demons by thy laughter!  According to the law of
cause and effect, through the crores of devas thou performest deeds of thy will alone.  Out of ignorance I fell into yoga nidra,
O Sambhu! Kindly forgive my sin! When Hara (Siva) heard Hari (Vishnu) lamenting in this manner He prescribed the following
penance for Vishnu:

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.