Author Topic: Excerpts from Srimad Bhagavatam  (Read 73539 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Excerpts from Srimad Bhagavatam
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2017, 04:14:34 PM »
Knowledge is True Perfection

The Supreme Lord said:
The learned seeker whose intuition has led him to the realisation of the Self, does not indulge in theoretical dialectics about this world of diversity, knowing it to be a mere appearance in Me, a knowledge which he has also eventually to renounce exclusively to Me, his highest bliss and redemption, his goal and the way to it. He whose mind has been thoroughly purified by knowledge and realisation alone can comprehend My Supreme State. Penance, pilgrimage, japa, charitable acts, are mere means of self-purification, and not of perfection, as knowledge is. Therefore work your self-knowledge up to the stage of realisation, O Uddhava, and reject everything else but your devotion to Me. The threefold manifestation of prakriti, namely, body, mind and senses in you, is an illusion, having neither beginning nor end, but appears in the middle (like the snake which appears in the dark, but which has at no time been, nor will at any time be, other than a rope).

Jnana consists in perceiving the nine principles, the eleven organs, the five elements, and the three gunas in all creatures, and the One Supreme Soul (Purusha or Paramatman) permeating them all. Vijnana (discursive knowledge) perceives neither plurality nor the pervading One, but investigates into the creation, preservation and dissolution of all things which are made of the gunas (to repudiate them all). That alone is real which abides in the beginning and end and which appears to evolve in the middle. Plurality has, therefore, no existence whatever (since the Reality alone exists but appears as the evolving diversity, having a beginning and an end): it is repudiated by the four principal pramanas (evidences or means of firm knowledge), namely, the authority of the Vedas, direct perception, the authority of the wise (tradition), and inference. Ritualistic acts, likewise, being transient, are unreal. The wise look upon the pleasures of the invisible world (which are the result of action) as misery-laden and as perishable as those of this visible world.

Formerly  I talked to you about bhakti-yoga oh sinless one. Let Me now also expound on the supreme method of this devotion unto Me. Faith in the nectar of the narrations about Me, always singing My glories, to relate to Me with hymns and prayers; to think of Me as being present in all living beings, to dedicate all one's activities to Me, to conteplate and talk about My qualities, to offer one's mind to Me,to be of sacrifice with charity and offerings, to do japa and to worship Me,to reject desires,and, finally, through total surrender of the whole being to Me.
Dharma is that which leads one to devotion unto Me and knowledge(jnana),which is awareness of  the presence of the Self. Detachment [vairagya] results in disinterestedness in the sense objects  and opulence [aisvarya] culminates in the mystical perfections of anima and so on.

'Nonviolence, truthfulness, not coveting or stealing the property of others, detachment, modesty, non-possessiveness, trustfulness, celibacy, silence, steadiness, forgiveness and fearlessness are the twelve types of restrictions [of yama]. Inner and outer cleanliness, doing japa, penance, sacrifice, faith, hospitality, worship of Me, visiting holy places, care for the welfare of others in this world, contentment and serving the spiritual master are the twelve regular duties [of niyama]. Mental equilibrium means the absorption of one's intelligence in Me and self-control entails the disciplining of the senses. The greatest charity is to give up all aggression toward others, and renunciation of lust is understood to be real austerity. Real heroism is to conquer one's natural tendency to enjoy material life, and reality is seeing the Supreme Self everywhere. Truthfulness means to speak the truth in a pleasing way, as declared by great sages. Cleanliness is detachment from the fruits of action, whereas renunciation is the purity,or sannyasa. The true desirable wealth for human beings is Dharma, and I, the Supreme, am sacrifice.Opulence is My divine nature, gain is My bhakti, education is the nullifying of the division of the self, and modesty [sense of shame] is the disgust against unjust action. Beauty means to be of good qualities.
The desire to get over happiness and misery is happiness; the desire to enjoy worldly happiness is misery. He is learned who knows the distinction between bondage and freedom, and ignorant who looks upon his body as himself. The means by which I am attained is known as the right path, and the wrong path is that by which mundane activity is undertaken. Activity of the Sattva guna is heaven, that of tamas is hell.

"I have thus answered all your questions, O Uddhava, but what avails you to go through all the characteristics of good and evil, which are always safe to avoid?"

Canto 11,Chapter 19

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2017, 05:25:45 PM »
Beyond Renunciation and Knowledge
The Power of Satsanga
The Supreme Lord said:
One does not win Me by mysticism or analysis, common piety or the study of the scriptures, by penances, renunciation, pious works or charity, by respecting vows, ceremonies, Vedic hymns, pilgrimage, by general discipline or the basic rules. One rather wins Me by the sat-sanga with the Saints and  My devotees. That association drives away all attachment to objects of the senses. By associating with the Wise many living beings in every age achieved Me like the sons of Diti, the malicious ones, the animals, the birds, the singers and dancers of heaven, the ones of excellence and of perfection, the venerable souls and the treasure keepers, the scientific ones among the humans and the merchants, laborers and women, the uncivilized ones and the ones of passion and slowness. So also did Vritrasura, the son of Kayadhu [Maharaja Prahlada] and others like them, Vrishaparva, Bali, Bana, Maya as also Vibhishana [brother of Ravana], Sugriva [leader of the Vanaras] and great Devotee Hanuman, Jambavan, Gajendra, Jathayu, Tuladhara, Dharma-vyadha, Kubja and the gopis in Vraja, the wives of the brahmins and others. Not having studied the sacred scriptures, without vows and not having undergone austerities, attained Me by association with My devotees. Only by unalloyed love indeed the gopis easily attained Me. In Vraja,even the cows, the immobile creatures, the snakes and trees in hundreds of thousands became accomplished and attained to Me, the Supreme Brahman. When Akrura took Me and Balarama to Mathura they, the inhabitants of Vrindavana, whose hearts were attached to Me with the deepest love, suffered greatly because of the separation as they did not saw happiness anywhere. All the nights they in Vrindavana spent with Me, their most dearly Beloved, oh Uddhava, seemed to take but a moment to them, but again bereft of Me they became as long as a kalpa. Just as sages fully absorbed lose the awareness of names and forms - like they are rivers entering the water of the ocean - also they whose consciousness was intimately bound to Me had no awareness anymore of their bodies, their present or their future . The hundreds and thousands of women who desired Me as their friend and lover, had no knowledge of My actual position and attained Me by associating with Me, the Absolute Supreme Truth.

Therefore, O Uddhava, turn your back on all actions, whether prescribed or not, as well as on all learning, past or future, and seek shelter with all your heart in Me,the Truth,and the Self of all, and you will be free from all fear. It is by this Self that the body is permeated, and in it that the universe is woven like the warp and woof of a cloth.

Book 11,Chapter 12/1:15

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2017, 03:27:07 PM »
Liberation from Maya

The honorable king Nimi said:
 'My lords, please tell us about the illusory potency of Maya of the Supreme Lord Vishnu  We would like to understand  what bewilders even the great mystics. We enjoy the nectar of your talks about Lord Hari, but we are not yet satisfied by that antidote against the pain a mortal experiences being tormented by the misery of samsara.'

Antariksha answers:
?In order to enjoy the senses as well as the bliss of Liberation, the Prime Purusha created out of Himself the great elements from which He made all things, high and low. Then He became one mind and ten organs and entered the great elements as the many jivas with bodies, through which He enjoys the sense-objects and to which He grew attached by identifying Himself with them. This identification with the gross body rather than with His own eternal Self is Maya, which causes Him much suffering as jiva, and from which He, however, escapes by seeking the realisation of His true nature, and after many many births attains it. This realisation is very blissful and is called Liberation.

Nimi said: 'Oh great sage, please tell how materialistic people with ease may overcome this material energy of the Lord that is so unsurpassable for those lacking in self-control.'

The sage Prabuddha replies:
"It is common knowledge that human couples who expect to derive happiness from their union reap only misery. What happiness can be gained from wealth which is gathered with so much hardship, or from children and relatives, who are but temporary acquisitions, when even heavenly felicities do not last to eternity? Lasting happiness, O King, can be found nowhere but in the realisation of the absolute Truth through the guidance of a guru, who has mastered the meaning of the Vedas and has himself experienced it, and through the practice of the well-known virtues namely, friendship, humility, benevolence, purity, performance of duty, endurance, study of the Scriptures, sincerity, non-violence, evenness of mind, control of speech, etc. Hearing, chanting and meditating on the Avatars, pastimes and qualities of the Lord whose activities are all wonderful, one must do everything for His sake. Whatever worship, charity, penance, japa or piety one performs, everything held dear, one's wife, sons, home and very life air, one should dedicate to the Supreme. In rendering service to both [the moving and nonmoving living beings] one must be of friendship with the common man as also with the devotees, the great souls who accepted Krishna as the Lord of their heart. Company of the Saints,mutual discussions with fellow devotees, remembering Him and reminding one another. The bhakti unto the Lord puts an end to the chain of sins. Sometimes one cries by the thought of Acyuta, sometimes one laughs or takes great pleasure or speaks, acts wondrously, dances and sings and sometimes one, following the example of the Unborn One, is freed from distress and becomes silent while attaining the Supreme Self . All this eventually never fails to carry one safely across the bottomless ocean of Maya."

Book 11;Chapter 3/1-33