Author Topic: Excerpts from Srimad Bhagavatam  (Read 76848 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Excerpts from Srimad Bhagavatam
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 08:09:11 PM »

Association with those engaged in sense gratification is the path of bondage,
while association with a saintly persons leads to liberation,even if performed in ignorance.
 When one's work here is not performed for the sake of a higher, more righteous life,
when one's righteous life does not lead to detachment
and when one's detachment does not lead to devotion of the Lotus Feet of the Lord,
one is a dead while being alive.

Srimad Bhagavatam
3;9;55
Devahuti's Lamentation
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:10:14 AM by Graham »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 09:09:42 PM »

The Name Ceremony and His Pranks

Sri Garga said:

'He, this son of Rohini, will with His transcendental qualities be the pleasure of all his folk. Therefore He will be called Rama. Because of His extraordinary strength He will also be known as Bala,and because of not existing separately from the Yadus, He will further be known as Sankarshana [the unifier]. And this one,the son of Yashoda, has according to the yuga accepted forms with a white, a red or a yellow color. Now He is Krishna (of a dark complexion, see). This child previously was born somewhere else as the son of Vasudeva and therefore the ones who know this will speak about this child of yours as the glorious Vasudeva. There are many names and forms according to the qualities and activities of His appearances. These are known to me, but the common people do not know them. Being a Nanda-Gokula cowherd this child will always act to what is most beneficial to all of you. With His support you will easily overcome all dangers. Oh King of Vraja, in the past, when there was a faulty regime, He has protected pious souls who were disturbed by rogues so that they, with those bad elements defeated, could flourish. Just like the ones faithful to Vishnu have nothing to fear from the Asuras, those who are as fortunate to associate with this child in love and affection, will not be overcome by enemies.  Therefore, oh Nanda, take the greatest care raising this child. As for His qualities, opulences, name and fame this son of yours is as good as Narayana!'

Sri S'uka said:

'After Garga thus fully had informed them about the Supreme Soul [the way He had manifested in the form of the two boys] and had left for his place, Nanda, being blessed with all good fortune, considered himself most blessed. Shortly thereafter Rama and Kes'ava were crawling around in Gokula on their hands and knees enjoying their childhood. Crawling like snakes through the mud of the cow place while dragging their feet behind them, they produced a sweet sound with their ankle bells, but when they, charmed by those sounds, enthusiastically followed the ankle bells of other people, they became afraid and quickly returned to their mothers. When their mothers closed their, by the mud charmingly colored, bodies in their arms, they allowed them to drink from the milk which, because of the great love for each of their sons, flowed from their breasts. And when they, while they were sucking, looked into their mouths they were delighted with the greatest ecstasy to discover that their teeth were growing.  From within their houses watching the children play outside in Vraja, they laughed and forgot their household being amused to see how the two boys caught the ends of the calves' tails and were dragged around by them.  When the mothers during their household duties could not find a way to check Them being engaged in Their tireless play with the cows, with fire, with sharp-toothed animal beaks [of dogs and monkeys], with swords, water, birds and thorns, they were unsettled. Rama and Krishna very soon without the help of their knees oh King, with ease began to walk around on their legs alone in Gokula.

The Supreme Lord together with Balarama playing with the other kids in Vraja then awakened a heavenly bliss in the ladies of Vraja. The gopis were eager just to hear time and again about His childish pranks, assembled in the presence of His mother and said:  'Once He untimely released the calves and smiled about the anger that gave rise to. Some or another way He stole the palatable curd, milk and butter from the pots, ate from it and also gave each monkey a share. When they refuse to eat [having enough], He breaks the pot and when He cannot find any [food to feed the monkeys], He gets angry at the people of the house and goes around pinching the babies.
[With the pots] hung out of reach He devises a way by piling up things or turning over a mortar and then finds His way to the contents by making a hole in the hanging pot. Awaiting the time that the gopis are busy with their household affairs, He with the necessary light from the radiating jewels on His body manages to find His way in a dark room!  He is so naughty that He sometimes freely urinates in a clean spot in our houses and that cunning, resourceful thief now sits there like a nice boy!' The gopis present there discussed all these matters, but when they saw Him sitting in front of them, looking afraid with His beautiful face, the gopis were happy to see Him. They with their complaints against Him truly could not be angry with Him and having a good time had to smile only.

10;8

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:10:34 AM by Graham »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 05:22:48 AM »
The Glories of Srimad Bhagavatam

By the Supreme Lord,out of His mercy,this tale of wisdom was first in full revealed to Brahma,who fearful of a material existence sat upon the lotus that grew from His navel. From the beginning to the end it is filled with accounts on detachment ,delighting the saintly and godly with the nectar of its many narrations about the Lord and His pastimes. In accord with the essence of all vedanta philosophy,it deals with the One Reality Without a Second, with the Absolute Truth  that is non-different from the One Soul ,and its prime goal is liberation and exclusive devotion.
He who gives the Bhagavatam as a gift in his full glory on the day of the full moon in the month Bhadra [August/September] reaches the supreme destination. Other classical collections of stories and scriptures are prominent in the assembly of the saintly only for as long as one does not listen to the great ocean of nectar which is the Bhagavatam.  The Srimad Bhagavatam indeed is said to be the essence of all Vedanta philosophy; someone satisfied by its nectarean taste is never attracted to any other influence. Of all Puranas this one is just like what the Ganges is in relation to all rivers flowing towards the sea, what Acyuta is in relation to all deities and what Shambhu [Shiva] is in relation to all devotees.  Just like Kasi [Benares] is unsurpassed among all holy places, Srimad Bhagavatam is matchless among all the Puranas, o twice-born ones. Srimad Bhagavatam is the spotless Purana most dear to the devotes of Vishnu, in which the perfectly pure and supreme spiritual knowledge is celebrated of no one less but the best of devotees; in it is revealed, together with the knowledge, the detachment and the devotion, the freedom from all fruitive labor which will deliver that person,who serious in his conviction with devotion listens, studies and chants it properly.

I meditate upon the incomparable torch light of the Immortal Truth that is Free from Sorrow,and long ago was revealed to the  Brahma, by whom this transcendental knowledge,pure and uncontaminated, was spoken to Narada the great sage,who delivered it to Krishna Dvaipayana Vyasa ,who next expounded it to the king of the yogis Sukadeva, who out of his mercy on his turn revealed it to king Parikchit the grace of the Fortunate One.
 Obeisances to Him, the Supreme Lord Vasudeva, the Supreme Witness,who mercifully explained this to the deity who desired liberation.  Obeisances to him, the king of the yogis, Sukadeva Gosvami, the personal manifestation of the Absolute Truth who freed Parikchit from the snake of material existence.

O Lord, You are our Master, the Lord of the Divinity,
therefore please make it so that we life after life at Your feet may find Love.
I offer my salutations to Him, the Supreme Lord,
whose Holy name destroys all sins,
and by Whose Grace this misery is extinguished.
"

12;13

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:11:00 AM by Graham »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 11:25:41 PM »
Bondage and Liberation Explained
and the Saintly Person,His Devotion,Characteristics and Behavior

The Supreme Lord said:
My dear Uddhava, due to the influence of the material modes of nature, which are under My control, the living entity is sometimes designated as conditioned and sometimes as liberated. In fact, however, the soul is never really bound up or liberated, and since I am the Supreme Lord of maya, which is the cause of the modes of nature, I also am never to be considered liberated or in bondage. There is lamentation, bewilderment, happiness, distress and the acceptance of a material body because of illusion. Material life repeating itself is merely an idea  that is just as unreal as a dream. Please Uddhava, understand that knowledge and ignorance are two forms of Myself that, created by My original potency, give rise to the liberation and bondage of the embodied beings. The bondage of the living entity, that is part of My Oneness oh great intelligence, is there since time immemorial because of ignorance,and the opposite, liberation is there because of knowledge. Let Me now My dear, dilate on the different characteristics of the opposing nature of being conditioned and being liberated, an opposition that is found in one and the same practice. Two birds of a similar nature and friends of each other, one day make a nest in a tree. One of them eats from the fruits of the tree, while the other does not eat, even though he is the strongest of the two. The one not eating the fruits of the tree, is conscious and knows both himself and the other one, while the one that eats does not have a clue. The latter is always bound, while the one full of knowledge is eternally liberated. Although engaged in a body an enlightened person does not abide by the body, like having risen from a dream. A foolish person abides by the body even though he is not engaged in the body, like seeing a dream. Someone not enlightened is invariably obliged to the false ego that thinks in accord with the senses that are directed by the gunas and the sense objects.  The ignorant soul who thus, by fate ordained, was caught here in this body because of his by the gunas generated karmic activities, thinks: 'I am the doer'.  An intelligent person is not bound that way. Wherever he goes, rests, sits, walks, bathes, sees, touches, smells, eats, hears and so on, he is detached with the qualities he experiences. Though being situated in the material world, he, turned away from its ruling powers and assisted by the most expert and in detachment sharpened vision, cuts with all doubts. Just as the sky, the sun and the wind do not attach themselves, he neither attaches to the separateness of things, like he has awakened from a dream. The person whose functions of  the life breath, senses,  mind and intelligence are free from desires, is liberated, despite being situated in a body,that is ruled by the natural modes. One's body is sometimes for some reason attacked by animals or destructive people and sometimes one is worshiped [by a lover or a follower]. An intelligent person is never seriously moved when that happens. With an equal vision having moved beyond the notion of good and bad, a wise man will neither praise those who are behaving very well or speaking excellently, nor criticize others who are acting or expressing themselves poorly. Someone satisfied within should live free from acting(doership), without saying a word and not contemplating good or evil and that way wander around like being dumb.  When someone well versed in the Vedic literatures is not absorbed in the Supreme, the fruit of his effort, his work, will be like that of someone taking care of a cow that gives no milk. Oh Uddhava, he who takes care of a cow that gives no milk, an unchaste wife, a body fully dependent upon others, children without service, wealth wrongly spent, and speaks about Vedic knowledge without [ever] mentioning Me, will suffer one misery after another.  A wise person My dear Uddhava, will not accept words [or texts] devoid of My purifying activities or desired appearances as l?la-avataras for the sake of the maintenance, creation and annihilation of the world.  When one desirous of knowledge thus gives up the misconception of a [material] diversity as existing [separately] of the soul , one should put an end to one's materialistic life and fix one's purified mind upon Me, the All-pervading One. In case you are not able to steady your mind on the spiritual platform, then dedicate, not deviating [from the regulative principles], all your actions to Me without expecting anything in return. When one with belief listens to, sings about and constantly remembers the narrations about My birth and activities that purify the entire world and also expresses them dramatically, and thereto, for My sake, under My protection regulates one's faith, sensual pleasure and finances [the purushartas], one will develop an unflinching devotion unto Me, the One Eternal, oh Uddhava.  By the devotion as acquired in the [sat-sanga] association with devotees, someone very easily will be able to attain My refuge that those pure souls undoubtedly will show him.'

The Supreme Lord said:

'When someone is merciful, causes no harm, is tolerant towards all embodied beings, is firmly anchored in the truth, an irreproachable soul, is equal-minded and helpful towards everyone; when someone is of an intelligence that is not disturbed by material desires, is of restraint, is soft-natured, pure-hearted, non-possessive, not worldly, eats little, is peaceful, steady, has Me for his shelter and is thoughtful; when someone is vigilant, a profound soul, of a firm resolve, has conquered the shath-guna [different forms of material misery], offers respect, inspires, is friendly, compassionate and learned; when someone knows the qualities and shortcomings as taught by Me, and, worshiping Me, is even willing to give up all his religious preferences, he belongs to the best of the truthful ones. Whether someone knows Me like this or not, knows who I am or how I exist, when he is exclusively devoted to Me, I count him among the best devotees.  Seeing, touching and worshiping My appearance in this world, My devotees render service and offer prayers of glorification and obeisance, to which they regularly sing about My qualities and activities. Hearing the topics about Me they always with faith meditate upon Me oh Uddhava, and offer as servants in full surrender all that they acquire. Discussing My birth and activities they take great delight in engaging with musical instruments and songs and dance, with discussions and festivals in My sacred houses. Sacrificing at all celebrations and annual festivities as mentioned in the Vedic literatures and their tantras, they observe vows and are of initiation in relation to Me. With faithfully installing My deity they endeavor, for themselves as also for others, by working for flower gardens, orchards, playgrounds, cities and temples. Sincere as servants they serve Me by thoroughly cleaning and dusting the house or the temple, washing it with water, sprinkling it with scented water and making mandalas. Modestly without pride, not advertising their devotional service they not even use for themselves the light of the lamps presented to Me and offer Me articles most dear to them or most desirable in the material world. With that kind of offering one qualifies for immortality.

The sun, the fire, the brahmins, the cows, the devotees, the sky, the wind, the water, the earth, the self and all living beings, My dearest, constitute the places of My worship.  In the sun one can find Me by offering selected verses from the three Vedas (Gayatri and the Surya-namskar]. In fire one finds Me with oblations of ghee. One can find Me as the best among the scholars when one worships Me by offering them hospitality. With the cows, My dear, you reach Me by means of offerings of grass and such. One finds Me in the devotees by honoring them with loving friendship. I am found in the sky [of one's inner space] when one is fixed in meditation in the heart. In the air one finds Me by considering it the most important [life giving principle of prana, by means of pranayama]. In water one can find Me by using articles of worship together with water. In the earth [one finds Me] with confidential mantras and within the self one can find Me by offering food to the embodied soul. One may worship Me as the knower of the field in all living beings by seeing Me as equally present everywhere.  Peacefully being absorbed in Me thus meditating these different places, one should be of worship for My transcendental form that is equipped with the conch shell, the disc, the club and the lotus flower.  Someone who with his mind fixed on Me thus worships Me with pious works [as mentioned], obtains loving service unto Me and has My remembrance because of his fine service.

Oh Uddhava, apart from the loving devotion(dedication) realized through association(satsanga) with My devotees, there are no means that actually work, for I am the path of life, the refuge, for the ones of virtue.

11;11

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 10:49:45 PM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 07:36:57 PM »
The Pastimes of Lord Ramacandra

Upon the prayers of the God-conscious,from the great king Dasaratha,the Absolute Truth appeared in four forms,the Supreme Lord in person and three expansions of Him; they were thus known as Rama, Lakshmana, Bharata and Satrughna. O King,you have more than enough heard through the nice descriptions by the many seers and knowers of the Reality  of His transcendental exploits as the husband of Sita. Faithful to the teachings [answering to a promise his father made]  He abandoned the royal position and wandered from forest to forest on His bare lotus feet that were as tender as a hand palm, accompanied by His loved ones,Sita and Lakshmana, who relieved Him of His fatigue on the path.
He was [by Ravana] separated from His sweetheart Sita because of disfiguring Shurpanakha [the sister of Ravana who got her nose cut off],and found support from His loyal devotee and servant, the king of the monkeys Hanuman. Over the ocean, that was afraid of His eyebrows raised in anger,the bridge was constructed to Lanka, the residence of Ravana,and He became, like a forest fire,burning the envious ones, the king of Ayodhya. May His mercy be upon us.
May His Mercy be upon us, who in sage Vis'vamitra's arena of sacrifice, in the presence of Lakshmana, killed the great chiefs of the Rakshasas, the wanderers of the dark that were headed by Marica.

It was He,who of all the heroes in the world in the hall where Sita would select her husband,took up the mighty bow of Shiva that had to be carried by three hundred men. Fastening the string, o King, and bending it broke the bow in two,the way a baby elephant breaks a stick of sugar cane. By the victory He gained the hand of the divine girl named Sita, who in her qualities, behavior, age and limbs was a perfect match for Him,she the Goddess of Fortune who had acquired a position on His chest. On His way home with her, He met and defeated, the deep-rooted pride of Bhrigupati [Parasurama] who three times [seven, thus twenty one times] had rid the earth of the seed of the [burden of unrighteous] rulers. Bowing His head to the command of His father, who in his attachment had made a promise to his wife that He had to abandon the kingdom, residence, opulence, relatives and friends, He with his wife left to live in the forest like a liberated soul . Living there He, as He wandered around, met with great difficulties. He maimed the body of the Rakshasa's sister [Ravana] because she had a [by lust] spoiled mind and then, with His invincible bow and arrows in His hands, had to kill the fourteen-thousand of her many friends headed by Khara, Tris'ira and Dushana.

Oh king, when the ten-headed Ravana heard the stories about Sita, it stirred his heart and made him lust to see her. [The demon] Marica in the form of a golden deer then lured Rama away from their stay,and was killed by Him with a sharp arrow just as Shiva killed Daksha.  While He and His brother were in the forest, the unprotected daughter of the king of Videha [or Janaka],Sita, was kidnapped by the most wicked Rakshasa. Rama then wandering around like a man who, attracted to women, is in distress  being separated from his wife, thus gave an example of how and where attachment all leads to. After having performed the funeral rites for him who had died for His sake [the eagle Jathayu], He killed Kabandha [a headless monster] and became friends with the leaders of the monkey hordes so that He, informed by them about Sita, could deliver her. He whose feet are worshiped by Brahma and Shiva, but appeared as a normal man, next killed Valli [a wicked brother of Hanuman]. Then He, accompanied by the monkey soldiers, proceeded to the shore of the ocean.  The [god of the] ocean silent with fear because of His angry glance - from which all the crocodiles and sharks were agitated - carried, in assuming a personal form, on his head all that was needed to worship Him and said, upon reaching the lotus feet, the following:
'We, the dull-minded, are truly not capable, oh Supreme One, to  know You as the one Original Person and Supreme Master of all Universes who resides in the core of the heart. For the God-conscious ones are the result of Your goodness, the controllers of the people have resulted from Your passion, while the rulers of the material elements sprang from Your mode of ignorance. But You oh Lord, are the Master over all these modes.  You may cross [my waters] as You like! Just conquer that son of Vis'rava called Ravana who is like urine to the three worlds and thus regain Your wife oh hero. Build a bridge here and Your fame will spread. In the future the great kings and heroes from all directions will glorify You for it.'

After the Master of the Raghu dynasty with all sorts of mountain peaks,with trees and plants, that were transported by hand by the mighty monkeys, had constructed a bridge in the ocean, He, helped by the directions of Vibhishana [a virtuous brother of Ravana], together with the soldiers led by Sugriva, N?la and Hanuman set foot on [the island of] Lanka, that just before had been set afire [by Hanuman's tail]. There the houses of pleasure, granaries, treasuries, palace doors and city gates, assembly houses, turrets and [even the] pigeon houses were taken by force and dismantled by the Vanara [monkey] leaders who, just like an elephant herd, turned the squares and crossroads with all their flags and golden water pots on the rooftops, into one swirling river.  All the Rakshasa soldiers with their hard to defeat swords, lances, bows, barbed missiles and spears, firebrands, javelins and scimitars [a curved sword], lined up in front of Him who was surrounded by Sugriva, Lakshmana, Hanuman, Gandhamada, N?la, Angada, Riksha, Panasa and others.The commanders of the soldiers of the Ruler of the Raghu dynasty [Rama], together hurried forward to fight the enemy followers of Ravana moving on foot and seated on elephants, chariots and horses who, condemned by the anger of mother Sita, were out of luck in the battle. With trees, mountain peaks, clubs and arrows they were all killed by the [monkey] warriors lead by Angada and others. The Rakshasa leader seeing that his forces were defeated, thereupon fuming with anger drove his vehicle towards the brilliantly radiating Rama who, seated on the shining chariot of Indra that Matali [the driver] had brought, struck him with the sharpest arrows.  Rama said to him: 'You scum of the earth, since you oh criminal, like a dog have kidnapped My helpless wife, I, as Time itself, as someone not failing in His heroism, will personally punish you today for that shameless act, you abominable evildoer!'

Thus rebuking him He released the arrow He had fixed on His bow and that arrow pierced his heart like a thunderbolt. Vomiting blood from his ten mouths he fell down from his heavenly vehicle. His men then roared: 'Alas, what has happened to us?', just like pious people do when they fall down.

cont...

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 07:51:43 PM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 08:28:18 PM »
cont...

Thereafter the many thousands of wives of the demons, headed by Mandodar[Ravana's wife], came out of Lanka and lamented upon approaching [their dead husbands]. Embracing their beloved ones and their friends who were all killed by Lakshmana's arrows, they  beat their breasts and cried pitiably, which [for the victors] was something pleasant to hear:
 'Oh alas, now he has been killed who has protected us all! Oh Ravana, cause of our cries, now the state of Lanka bereft of your good self turn for shelter,  is defeated by the enemy?  Oh greatest patron, under the spell of lusty desires you, not knowing the influence of mother Sita, have arrived at a situation like this.  Because of what you did oh glory of the dynasty, we and the state of Lanka are now without a protector, your body is there as fodder for the vultures and your soul is destined for hell.'

Sri Suka said: 'Vibhishana,with the approval of the King of Kosala [Rama], performed for the family the funeral rites that for a deceased one have to be observed in order to save him from hell. The Supreme Lord thereupon found His sweetheart [Sita] back in an ashoka forest sitting in a small cottage at the foot of a shimshapa [as'oka] tree. Sick from being separated from Him she was emaciated. Rama seeing the poor plight of His sweetheart was filled with compassion. When she saw her beloved, her lotus-like mouth was overwhelmed with a great joy. The Supreme Lord put Vibhishana in charge of the rule over Lanka's Rakshasas for the duration of a kalpa. He placed Sita on His vehicle and then ascended Himself together with Hanuman and the brothers [Lakshmana and Sugr?va the commander] to return to His home town [Ayodhy?] and conclude the period of the vow [that He would stay away for fourteen years].  To celebrate His uncommon activities He on His way was showered with a choice of fragrant flowers offered by the higher class and was joyfully praised by the seer of the Absolute Truth [Brahma] and the ones belonging to him. Lord Ramacandra, the One of Great Compassion, was very sorry to hear that His brother Bharata was lying down on a kus'a mat, had matted locks, ate barley cooked in cow's urine and had covered Himself with tree bark. Bharata hearing about His arrival took the two sandals on His head [that Rama had left behind on the throne to represent Him] and came, accompanied by all citizens, the ministers and the priests, to welcome His eldest brother. Departing from His camp Nandigrama He was accompanied by songs, the sounds of musical instruments, the constant recitation of mantras performed by brahmins, by gold embroidered flags on golden chariots that were pulled by the most beautiful, with gold caparisoned horses and by soldiers in gold covered armor. Approaching in procession with nicely dressed courtesans and servants as also with soldiers on foot and everything else that would befit a royal reception, like the wealth of all kinds of jewelry, He fell down at the lotus feet with an ecstatic love that softened the core of His [ascetic] heart and filled His eyes with tears. Placing the two slippers before His brother, He stood with folded hands and tears in His eyes. Then He was embraced by Rama who, bathing Him with the water from His eyes, held Him in His arms for a long time. Rama, Lakshmana and Sita together offered the scholars and the others worthy of worship personally their obeisances and also received these in return from all the citizens. Seeing their Lord returning after so many years the citizens of Kosala waved with their upper garments, offered Him garlands and began to dance in great jubilation. The sandals were carried by Bharata, the whisk and luxurious fan were carried by Vibhishana and Sugriva, a white parasol was carried by the son of  the wind god [Hanuman] and the bow and two quivers were carried by S'atrughna. Sita held the waterpot with water from the holy places, Angada held the sword made of gold and the King of the Rikshas [Jambavan, the leader of the bears who also participated in the war] held the shield oh King. Sitting on Kuvera's heavenly chariot [the 'Pushpaka' captured from Ravana] He, the Supreme Lord devotedly being worshiped by the women and the reciters oh King, appeared as brilliant as the moon risen among the planets.

After properly being welcomed by His brother He was festively received in the city of Ayodhya. Upon entering the royal palace He paid mother Kaikeyi, His other stepmothers and His own mother [Kaus'alya] His respects. The spiritual teachers, friends of their age and the youngsters were all of worship and their welcome was returned befittingly by Rama, the princess of the Videhas [Sita] and Lakshmana. The mothers reviving like bodies awakening from sleep, while keeping their sons on their lap, wetted them with a continuous flow of tears in letting go of their grief [over having been separated for so long]. According to the vidhi the matted locks were shaven off by the family priest [Vashishthha] and the elders of the family, after which, with the water of the four oceans and other paraphernalia, a bathing ceremony was performed like it was done for King Indra. Thus having been fully bathed, nicely dressed, decorated and garlanded, He shone brightly with His brothers and His wife. Pleased with the surrender [of His brother] He accepted the throne offered to Him, as also the citizens who, serving according to their nature with their status orientation, all deserved His protection for that quality. Rama was therein just like a father and was by them therefore also accepted as their father.

Although this all happened in Treta-yuga, the period became like Satya-Yuga because of Rama's presence as the ruling king,who with His full respect of dharma,made all living beings happy . The forests, the rivers, the hills and the mountains, the lands, the islands, the oceans and the seas offered all the living beings all they could wish for oh best of the Bharatas.  During the period that Rama, the Lord in the Beyond, was king, there was no suffering, no disease, old age, bereavement, distress, lamentation, fear and exhaustion or dying against one's will. Having sworn that He would not take another woman He, as a saintly king pure in His character and dharma, by His personal dutifulness was an example for the householders. Sita in loving service of her husband was, because of her good character, always humble and submissive. Being chaste and afraid [to make mistakes], she bashfully with understanding for her husband's position captivated His mind.'

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:12:31 AM by Graham »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2015, 09:01:49 PM »
Dhruva Leaves Home for the Forest

Maitreya said:
 'None of the the Kumaras or the other sons of Brahma: Narada, Ribhu, Hamsa, Aruni and Yati, lived a householder's life , for they were celibate [urdhva retasah, sending their seed upwards]. Oh slayer of enemies, Mrisha, the wife of [another son of Brahma called Irreligion or] Adharma produced the two children Dambha [Bluffing] and Maya [Cheating], but they were taken by a demon ruling the south-west called Nirriti who had no children. From those two Lobha [Greed] and Nikrita [Cunning] were born oh great soul. And from the both of them there were Krodha [Anger] and Himsa [Malice]. From these two [also irreligiously being bound in incest]  Kali and the sister called Durukti [Harsh Speech] were born. Oh best of the truthful, bound to Durukti Kali produced Bhaya [Fearfulness] and Mrityu [Death] and of those two combined Yatana [Excessive Pain] and Niraya [Hell] took birth. I thus explained to you in short the cause of the devastation [of landing in hell because of irreligion]. Someone who hears this description three times o pure one, will lead a pious life and see the contamination of his mind being washed away.

Next I will describe the dynasty famous for its virtuous activities, oh best of the Kurus, that evolved from the Manu called Svayambhuva, who was a part of a plenary portion of the Supreme Lord. Uttanapada and Priyavrata, the two sons of Queen Satarapa and her husband were, as  parts of  of the Supreme Lord Vasudeva, there for the protection and maintenance of the world. Of the two wives of Uttanapada, Suniti  and Suruci , Suruci was far more dear to the husband than the other one Suniti, who had a son called Dhruva . When the king one day was patting the son of Suruci named Uttama whom he had placed on his lap, he turned away Dhruva who also tried to get on his lap.  Queen Suruci who was very proud enviously spoke to Dhruva, the child of the co-wife that tried to get on his lap, in such a way that the king could hear it. 'My dear child, you don't deserve to seat yourself where the king sits because, even though you were born as a son of the king, you were not born from my womb. Oh child, you don't understand that, because you are not my own but from the womb of another woman, the thing you desire is out of your reach. You can seat yourself on the throne of the king if you want, but only if you, by means of penance, have satisfied the Lord and by His mercy have found a place in my womb for yourself [to be born again].'

Maitreya said:
'Pierced by the harsh words of his stepmother, he out of anger began to breathe heavily as a snake struck by a stick, and when he saw his father silently looking on, he began to weep and ran away to his mother.  Having heard from the others what had happened Suniti lifted her heavily breathing son whose lips were trembling on her lap, feeling very sorry over what was said by the co-wife. Losing her composure she cried with a fire of grief which burned like dry leaves and when she remembered the things said by the other wife she spoke through the haze of tears that fell from her lotuslike face. Not knowing how to curb the anger the lady breathed heavily and said to her son:
'Do not wish others anything inauspicious my dear son, a person will have to suffer himself from the ill he wishes others. The truth of what mother Suruci has told you,about having taken birth from the womb of me, the unfortunate one, and that you grew up on the milk from my breast, is that the king feels ashamed, he regrets it to have accepted me for his wife. (19) All that your stepmother has told you is true. If you want to sit on the throne just like Uttama, then just  engage yourself without being envious my dear son, in worshiping the lotus feet of Adhokshaja, the Lord of Transcendence.  The unborn One ,your great-grandfather Brahma, no doubt acquired his supreme position in the universe and the qualifications to create, from worshiping the One whom we know by His lotus feet and who can be approached by those who in self-regulation have conquered the mind. Likewise Manu, your worshipable grandfather, achieved liberation and the heavenly and earthly happiness that is so difficult to achieve by other means, because he was of an unflinching devotion and great charity.  Take shelter with Him, the Kindhearted One my dear boy, for people who want to get liberated follow the path of His lotus feet. Worship the Supreme Lord by fixing your mind upon His image, thinking of nothing else and being faithful to your original sense of duty with Him.  Looking for someone else I wouldn't know any one but the Lord with the lotus eyes who could mitigate your sorrow. Even de Goddess of Fortune who is worshiped by others my dear, is always with a lotus flower in her hand looking for Him.'

Maitreya said: 'Thus having heard the purposeful words of the mother he, mindfully keeping himself under control, left his father's house.  Narada who came to hear about it and understood his intentions, was surprised and with the hand that could expel all sin touching his head he exclaimed:  How wonderful are the powerful ksatriyas! They cannot tolerate even a slight infringement upon their prestige. Just imagine! This boy is only a small child, yet harsh words from his stepmother proved unbearable to him.  Narada then said: 'Why is  it that you, a child normally fond of sports and games, at present feel insulted because of not being respected?  My dear Dhruva, if you feel that your sense of honor has been insulted, you still have no cause for dissatisfaction. This kind of dissatisfaction is just an illusion; every living being is controlled by his previous actions, and therefore there are different varieties of life for enjoying or suffering. Therefore you should be satisfied oh dear one. Whatever it is that fate has in stall for a person, is by someone who is intelligent recognized as a way leading to the Supreme.  But the yoga your mother told you to do for elevating yourself to His mercy, is to my opinion too difficult for a person like you.  The greatest sages even, who were on the path of detachment for many births, in the trance of their strict yoga practice never came to understand what they were looking for. Stop therefore now with this insistence of yours, it'll take you nowhere. Save that [quest] for the future, then you'll find ample opportunity [to engage in adult matters like these]. Any embodied soul who is of peace with whatever happiness or distress that destiny reserves for him, can reach the Light.  With someone better one should be pleased, with someone of a lesser quality one should be compassionate and with someone equal one should be friendly. Thus fostering no desires one is never affected by tribulations.'

cont...

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:12:57 AM by Graham »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2015, 10:05:14 PM »

Dhruva said:

'This balance of mind you talk about oh Lordship, is a quality of people who are merciful with those less wise, but for persons like us it is very difficult to see it the way you said it.  I was born a ruler and I'm not that tolerant. Pierced by the harsh words of mother Suruci I cannot have a heart like you.  Please tell me about an honest way to pursue my desire for a superior position in the three worlds oh brahmin, a position not even attainable for others like my father, grandfather and forefathers.  You as a worthy descendant of Brahma playing the vina, alike the sun travel all around the world for the sake of its welfare.'

Maitreya said: 'Narada was very pleased to hear what Dhruva said, whereupon he compassionately replied to give the boy good advice. Narada told him:
'The path your mother told you about,of fully absorbing yourself in rendering service to the Supreme Lord Vasudeva, constitutes the highest perfection in life.  For him who seeks the supreme benefit of the self by what is known as dharma, artha,kama and moksha , the worship of the Lord His lotus feet is the only way.  For that purpose, my dear, go with my blessing to the bank of the Yamuna and be purified by the sacredness of the Madhuvana forest where the Lord is always present.  When you have taken a bath in that river, - which performed correctly three times a day is a most auspicious thing to do -  you should sit down on a sitting place you have prepared. You should meditate upon the Supreme Spiritual Master with an undisturbed mind. Thereto you must, in relation to the life breath and the senses, gradually with the help of the threefold breath control [of pranayama: controlling the ingoing, the outgoing and balanced breath] give up the impurities of your mind. Always prepared to be merciful meditate on the Lord, on Him who with His pleasing mouth and enchanting look, His straight nose, arched eyebrows and intelligent forehead, is the beauty of the demigods. Youthful, attractive in all His limbs and with lips and eyes as reddish as a rising sun, He, as the shelter of the surrendered souls who is transcendental in every respect, is the one offering protection. Marked with the Srivatsa [a few white hairs on His chest] and of a deeply bluish [gray] color, He is the original Personality garlanded with flowers, showing the conch shell, the disc, the club and lotus flower in His four hands. The garments of yellow silk He wears are complemented by a helmet, pearl earrings, a necklace, bracelets and the Kausthuba jewel. Pleasing as well the eye as the mind, He has small bells of gold around His waist and His ankles,and is of a superior calm, peace and serenity. He occupies His place on the whorl of the lotus of the hearts of those who in worship unite with His glittering lotus feet. You should this way regularly envision the smiling of the Lord who is so affectionate with the devotees, and thus fully attentive let your mind meditate upon the greatest of all benedictors. The mind thus meditating the very auspicious form of the Supreme Lord is, being transcendentally enriched, very soon freed from all material contamination and will never wander off from that position.

Please hear from me the very, very confidential mantra to pray oh prince, from which recited aloud for seven days a person may behold what moves through the ether [planets, heavenly beings, thoughts].  'Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya' [my respects for the Supreme Lord Vasudeva]. With this mantra [called the dvadas'akshara mantra] the learned one conversant with the differences according to time and place should exercise respect for the physical appearance of the Lord the way it should be done with the help of the different paraphernalia. One purifies with the help of water, garlands of forest flowers, roots, different fruits and vegetables, fresh grass, buds, bark and by offering tuls? leaves, which are very dear to the Lord your master. You can [being alone in the forest] begin with procuring and worshiping a deity made of physical elements like earth and water [clay], and therewith as a sage be of full self-control in peace,checking your speech and eat frugally whatever the forest offers. Meditate [thereto] upon the inconceivable activities that by the Supreme Lord of Wisdom in the form of an avat?ra were performed in order to exercise His supreme will and potencies. In service of the Supreme Lord you should respect Him in your heart with the mantras that embody Him in the way the previous teachers performed their devotional service as I have told you. When the Supreme Lord thus with your engagement in service by your body, mind and words,is worshiped with love and dedication, He will increase the devotion of the devotees who are sincerely and seriously engaged and will award them with what they desire in regard of the spiritual life and what belongs to it . Being serious in bhakti-yoga about your liberation you must in complete detachment from all sense-gratification unrelenting exercise a respect that is steeped in love for Him directly.'

Thus being addressed by Narada, the son of the king circumambulated him offering his obeisances and went to the Madhuvana forest which, imprinted with the feet of the Lord, was the right place for him to be.

cont...

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:13:20 AM by Graham »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2015, 10:29:15 PM »

Thus being addressed by Narada, the son of the king circumambulated him offering his obeisances and went to the Madhuvana forest which, imprinted with the feet of the Lord, was the right place for him to be. When Dhruva entering the forest thus had withdrawn himself, the respected sage thought it wise to pay the king a visit in his palace. Seated there comfortably, he spoke to him. Narada said: 'Dear King, your face appears to be withering, what are you thinking so deeply about? Have you lost your way with the gratification of your senses, the religion or the economy?'

The king replied: 'Oh brahmin, my son, my sweet boy who is only five years old and actually a great personality and devotee, I have, being too attached to my wife and too hard-hearted, banished from here together with his mother. I worry whether the helpless boy whose face is like a lotus, without being protected by anyone in the forest, oh brahmin, isn't starving or  being tired having laid down hasn't been devoured by wolves. Alas, how cruel I was being conquered by a woman. Just imagine how utterly hard-hearted I was denying him all affection when he out of love tried to climb on my lap.'

Narada said: 'Do not I say, do not be aggrieved about your son. He is well protected by the God oh master of men, you don't know how widespread His influence is all over the world.  The boy is a master. After performing what is impossible for even the greatest personalities around, he, in favor of your reputation, will come straight back to you dear King.'

Maitreya Muni said: 'The king, having heard what Narada told him, began to think about his son and neglected his opulent kingdom. Meanwhile the Original Personality was worshiped by Dhruva, after taking a bath and fasting that night, with perfect attention the way Narada had advised it. For the first month worshiping the Lord he only ate, to the bare necessity of preserving his body, fruits and berries in the morning after every third night. The next month the innocent boy continued his respect for the Almighty by eating every sixth day as mentioned, on those days preparing his food from grasses and leaves gone dry. With the third month passing he, fully absorbed in his respect for the Lord of Wisdom, Uttamas'loka, each ninth day drank water only. That way continuing into the fourth month, he by controlling his breath, meditating in worship of God, only ate air every twelfth day.  By the fifth month in full control of his breath the son of the king, meditating upon the Creator, without moving stood on one leg like a column. With his mind fully controlled concentrating in the heart, he meditated with no other thoughts than the thought of the Supreme Lord His form, upon Him, the resting place for the senses and their objects. Keeping his mind focussed on the foundation, the cosmic intelligence of the reality, the master of the primal ether [pradhana] and the person, the Supreme Spirit, all the three worlds began to tremble.  As he remained standing on his one leg he, the child of the king, with the one half [of his body] pressed down the earth with his big toe bent, just like the king of elephants does when he as a boat balances left and right with every step.  Because he in the full of his meditation had stopped his breathing and closed all the gates of his body, he thus by confining the life air was suffocating all the worlds so that soon all the great souls from all places sought their refuge with the Lord.

The godly said: 'We don't understand this oh Supreme Lord, the flow of the universal breath is obstructed! Therefore oh reservoir of goodness so kind to the needy, we all approach You for shelter to be saved from this calamity.'

The Supreme Lord replied: 'Fear not, this choking of your life air happens on account of the son of King Uttanapada who is fully absorbed in thoughts of Me. I will ask the boy so strong in his determination of penance to stop with this. Please return to your homes.'

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:13:42 AM by Graham »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2015, 11:09:41 PM »
Dhruva Returns Home from the Forest

Maitreya said: 'They [the demigods], thus being freed from all fear, offered the Lord of the wide strides their obeisances, upon which they returned to their three worlds. The Lord with the thousand faces [Sahasrashirsha] then got on the back of Garuda and went to the Madhuvana forest in order to see His servant [Dhruva]. He who strengthened by his meditation in yoga observed Him brilliant as lightening manifested on the lotus of his heart, all of a sudden noticed that He had disappeared, but looking around he then saw Him standing right before him in the same form.  With Him present before him he, confounded, fell to the ground prostrating his body like a rod to offer Him his obeisances. As he looked at Him, it was as if the boy was drinking Him with his eyes, like he was kissing Him with his mouth and embracing Him with his arms. Seeing that he wanted to glorify Him but didn't know how, the Lord, who is the prayer in the heart of each, understanding the boy mercifully touched his forehead with His conch shell.  Thus being inspired with the ability to say just what he wanted, he, slowly offering his prayers in the love of his devotion, could understand what the supreme of the soul was all about and that he would be the Dhruva of renown and fame whose world couldn't be denied.

Dhruva said: 'Let me offer my obeisances to You, the Supreme Lord and Original Person, who as the One within, from Your internal potency commanding the universal energy, entering my words and breath,has brought to life my passive senses as well as my other limbs, my hands, legs and skin. You are the One, Supreme Lord who, after by His own potency creating this vast outer world called maya , next as the Original Personality has entered here to appear differently in the time-bound qualities the way fire does in fire wood. Like a man awakening from his sleep, the one of surrender to You  could see this entire universe by dint of the knowledge given by You oh my Lord. How can anyone conversant with Your actions forget Your lotus  feet that are the shelter of all who desire liberation, oh friend of the distressed?  It suffers no doubt that You, the cause of liberation from birth and death, are like a desire tree to those who, under the influence of the outer world, miss the proper concept of life and worship You with ulterior motives in their desire for the gratification of the senses of this bag of bones, a gratification that is even available to persons in hell. The bliss of Your magnificence,that for embodied souls may experience when they meditate upon Your lotus feet or when they hear the stories of Your devotees, is never found with the impersonal supreme [Brahman], nor does it compare to what is experienced in [personally] elevated positions from which one has to fall down being destroyed by the sword of death. Let it be so that I may enjoy the intimate association of those who are constantly engaged in Your devotional service oh Unlimited One, of those great devotees by whose purified hearts one can easily cross the terrible and vast ocean of dangers that is material existence. Let it be so that I go mad of drinking the nectar of the stories about Your qualities.They so high-principled my dear Lord, never think of the material body, their relating to their sons, friends, home, wealth and wife; they, oh One of the Lotus Navel, have achieved the association with those who in their hearts always hanker after the fragrance of Your lotus feet.  The animals, trees, birds, reptiles, gods, demons and men, driven by the material energy are found throughout the universe in different forms of existence and are for several reasons seen and not seen oh Unborn One. That I know, but about this transcendental form, oh Supreme One I knew not, I do not know but the end of my argument. At the end of each epoch the Supreme Lord withdraws all of this universe into His belly, lying down in self-reflection in the company of Ananta S'esha as His bed. From the ocean of His navel the golden abode sprouted, with Brahma on the whorl of the lotus. Him, that Supreme Lordship I offer my obeisances. You are the eternally liberated, uncontaminated Supreme Soul full of knowledge, the changeless, authentic Original Person, the Supreme Lord and ruler of the three modes, the continuing intelligence throughout all actions of the intellect, the transcendental vision and witness, the maintainer, enjoyer and the one whose position differs from all the others.  You, in whose nature always the different opposing energies of knowledge and ignorance are found, You who are that continuing Brahman, You the cause of the material manifestation, the original and unlimited One who is simply blissful, I offer my respects. Compared to other benedictions Your lotus feet are the true one oh my Lord, and thus You as such are the personification of the goal of life of each person oh beloved Fortunate One. You, eager to bestow Your mercy, maintain the ones poor of heart like me, the way a cow keeps a calf.'

Maitreya said: 'After thus truly being worshiped by means of the fine intelligence of his good intentions only, the Supreme Lord who is always there in favor of His devotees spoke to him, after first having congratulated him.

The Supreme Lord said: 'I know about the determination within your heart oh son of the king. Since you are sworn to piety, I shall grant you all the fortune, even though it is a wish difficult to fulfill.  Never before My good boy, there was anyone who managed to settle for such a brightly glowing place known as the planet of Dhruva, around which all the other planets and constellations of stars are circling like a group of bulls does running stationary around a central pole [for crushing grain]. It is the planet around which, keeping it to their right, along with the stars, all great sages of the forest move circumambulating like Dharma, Agni, Kas'yapa and S'ukra whose lives stretch beyond a millennium.  As soon as your father has left for the forest, you will be awarded the entire world. It will be under the pious protection of your rule uninterrupted for thirty-six thousand years in full control of your faculties.  When your brother Uttama, being killed during a hunt, is sought in the forest by his most afflicted mother, she will run into a forest fire.  After performing great sacrifices for Me, the heart of all sacrifice, and having distributed great charities, you will, after having enjoyed the blessings of this world, at the end of your life be able to remember Me.  Thereafter you will head for My abode that is worshiped on all planets and is situated above those of the rishis. Having gone there, you will never come back.'

...Unto anyone with whose qualities and friendship the Supreme, Lord Hari, is pleased, all living beings offer their respect...

Edit: corrected the title from Excperts to Excerpts
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:15:16 AM by Graham »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 08:26:26 PM »
An Old Brahmin Friend Visits Krishna

Sri Suka said:

'There was a certain friend of Krishna called Sudama, a brahmin well versed in the Vedas, who was of peaceful mind,in control of his senses, and detached from the sense objects. As a householder he subsisted on that what came on its own accord. His wife was, just like him, poorly dressed and emaciated of hunger. Faithful to her husband,but distressed by the poverty she, with her face dried up and trembling legs, approached him and said:  'Is it not so oh brahmin, oh master of devotion, that the Husband of Sri is your friend and that that best one of the Satvatas is filled with compassion for the brahmins,willing to give them shelter? Please approach Him, my most gracious man, for He, the Ultimate Shelter of the Saintly Souls, will then provide you with abundant wealth because you have such a hard time maintaining your family. If the Lord of the Bhojas, Vrishnis and Andhakas who is now present in Dvaraka, even gives Himself to a person who just remembers His lotus feet, then what would the Spiritual Master of the Universe not do for people of worship who are not so much interested in money, success and sensual pleasures?'

The brahmin who thus repeatedly was begged by his wife then thought: 'The sight of Uttamashloka is indeed the highest attainment.'
He took the decision to visit Him and asked her: 'If there is anything in the house that I can bring as a gift my good woman, please give it to me!'  She begged with the other brahmins for four fists of husked and parched rice, wrapped it in a piece of cloth and gave it to her husband to bring as a gift.

Sudama, the best of the scholars, took it with him and on his way to Dvaraka wondered: 'How will I ever get this audience with Krishna?' Together with a couple of local brahmins the scholar passed three gates and guard stations and walked between the houses of Acyuta's faithful followers, the Andakas and Vrishnis. One normally could not go there and so he felt so blessed,as if he had attained the bliss of the Pure Spirit. He next entered one of the opulent sixteen thousand residences of the Lord's queens. Acyuta who sat on His consort's bed, saw him from a distance, immediately rose and came forward to close him gladly in His arms. The Lotus-eyed One in touch with the body of His dear friend, the wise brahmin, extremely ecstatic affectionately began to cry.

Having him seated on the bed The Supreme Lord of All the Worlds fetched some items to honor His friend and washed his feet.  Than took the same water on His head oh King. The Purifier anointed him with divinely fragrant sandalwood and aloe-wood  paste and kunkuma. He gladly honored His friend with aromatic incense and series of lamps and offered him bethel nut and a cow. Next He spoke a word of welcome.  The goddess was personally of service by carefully fanning with a yak's tail the dirty and poorly dressed, emaciated twice-born soul, whose veins could be seen.  The people in the palace thus seeing Krishna engaged in His spotless reputation, were amazed about the intense love with which the unkempt looking soul ,the avadhuta, was honored. 'What pious deeds has he performed, this unwashed, condemned and lowly mendicant deprived of all prosperity in the world? How can he with reverence be served by the Spiritual Master of the Three Worlds who is the abode of Sri? Leaving the goddess sitting on her bed He embraced him as an older brother!'
Taking hold of each other's hands oh King, they discussed the charming topics of the past when they together lived in the school of their spiritual master
The Supreme Lord said: 'Oh brahmin, after the guru received his remuneration from you and you returned home oh knower of the dharma, did you marry a suitable wife or not?  With your mind occupied by household affairs, you were not driven by desires and I also know that you do not take much pleasure oh wise soul, in the pursuit of material happiness. Some people perform their worldly duties without being disturbed by desires in their minds. Acting to set an example as I do, they shake off the propensities that naturally arise. Do you, oh brahmin, still remember our stay in the gurukula? It is there that a twice-born soul learns to understand what needs to be known and thus manages to transcend his ignorance. One is born twice my dear friend: after first being born materially ,one secondly manifests through a spiritual master, a bestower of spiritual knowledge like Myself, who teaches what the duties are for all spiritual orders ,or stages of life. Among those engaged in their duties in this world, they [who thus are twice born] are the expert knowers of the true welfare oh brahmin, for they cross over the ocean of material existence with the help of the words stemming from Me in the form of the spiritual master. I, the Soul of All Beings, am not as satisfied by ritual worship, a new life, austerity or self-control as I am by faithful service to the spiritual master. Oh brahmin, do you still remember what we did, when we were living with our spiritual master, and once by the wife of our guru were sent away to fetch firewood? Having entered a big forest oh brahmin, all out of season, a fierce harsh thundering wind arose with rain.  With the sun having set we, with all directions covered in darkness and with all the water around us, could neither recognize the direction nor high or low areas.  Constantly heavily besieged by the fierce wind and water in that flood, we did not know what way to go and in distress wandered through the forest holding each other's hands.  Our guru Sandapani knew this and at sunrise set out to search for us, his disciples. The acarya then found us suffering.
'Oh you children, for my sake you have to suffer heavily! In your devotion for me you have disregarded that what is most dear to all living beings: the comfort of your body! Well, this is what disciples should do to pay the debt to their spiritual master: being perfectly pure in their love, they must be willing to offer the spiritual master their very self and possessions. I am satisfied with you my dear boys, oh best of the brahmins. May your desires be fulfilled and may in this world and the next your words, your mantras, never lose their attraction.'  Many things like this happened when we were living at the house of the guru. Only by the mercy of the spiritual master a person will find fulfillment and attain peace.'

The brahmin said: 'What more is there for me to achieve in life oh God of Gods, oh Guru of the Universe, than to have lived together at the guru's house with You whose every desire is fulfilled? Oh Almighty One, Your body, constituting the fertile field of all welfare, comprises the Absolute Truth that is celebrated in the Vedas. Your residing with spiritual masters is nothing but an extraordinary role-play!

10:80

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 08:42:14 PM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 11:21:10 PM »
The Brahmin Honored: Lord Krishna the Lord of the Brahmins

Sri Suka said:

'He, Bhagavan Krishna, the True Goal of the Devotees, the Lord Who Perfectly Knows the Minds of All Beings, in this manner conversing with this best one among the brahmins, then, in His dedication to the ones of learning, laughed and spoke with a smile and a loving glance to His dear friend.
The Supreme Lord said:
 'What gift have you brought for Me from home oh friend? Even the slightest that in pure love is offered by devotees, turns into something immense for Me, whereas not even the greatest that is being presented by non-devotees pleases Me.  Whoever offers Me a leaf, a flower, a fruit and water with devotion, that offer brought from the heart by a soul of good habits I accept wholeheartedly!"

But the twice-born soul thus being addressed, was too embarrassed, bowed down his head and did not offer the few hands of rice grains to the Husband of the Goddess of Fortune, oh King. As the direct witness in the heart of all living beings fully aware of the reason why he had come, Lord thought: 'He worshiped Me in the past and never desired opulence,and he, My friend,came in order to keep his chaste and devoted wife happy, I will give him riches not attainable for [even] the immortals.'  With that in mind He Himself from under the garment of the twice-born one snatched away the rice grains that were tied in a bundle and said: 'What is this? Have you brought this for Me My dear friend? That gives Me the greatest pleasure! These rice grains satiate Me and the whole universe that I am!'

Speaking thus He took a handful to eat and a second one, whereupon Sri[Rukmini devi], devoted to Him, the One Supreme, seized His hand for the beaten grains were hard to digest. 'That oh Soul of Each and Everyone, is enough to make a person wishing to satisfy You, prosper in this world and the next with all opulence available.'

After to his satisfaction having drunk and eaten,the brahmin spent that night in Acyuta's palace. He thought he had attained heaven. The next day dear King, as he returned home, he was honored by Him, the Self-satisfied Maintainer of the Universe who made Sudama happy as he walked along the path. Even though he had received no wealth from Krishna and had been too embarrassed to ask for it himself, he on his way home was filled with joy about the meeting he had with the Great One:

'Ah, what a privilege it is to have witnessed the devotion of the Lord of the Brahmins for the twice-born souls. He who carries Lakshmi in His chest embraced the poorest wretch! Who am I? A destitute sinner! And who is Krishna? The temple of Sri! And He, this friend of the brahmins, closed me in His arms! He seated me on the bed of His consort like one of His brothers. Tired as I was, I was fanned by His queen holding a [yak-tail] hair fan. Being served with sincerity with a massage for my feet and such, I was worshiped like a demigod by the God of Gods, the Godhead of the Scholars! The worship of His feet is the root of all perfections and opulence that man in his emancipation may find in heaven, on earth and in the lower regions. 'If this poor soul acquires opulence he, delighting in excess, will not remember Me', He must have thought in His grace, and thus did not grant me the slightest amount of wealth.'

Thus lost in thought he arrived at the vicinity of his home. There he found himself placed before high rising palaces rivaling the sun, the fire and the moon. On all sides they were surrounded by wonderful courtyards and gardens swarming with hordes of cooing birds, ponds full of lilies and day and night blooming white lotuses. There were well adorned and ornamented men and women with deer-like eyes.
 'What is this, whose place is this, how could this come about?' This way paining his mind he was welcomed by the men and women with a luster like the demigods, who most fortunately loudly sang to instrumental music.  His wife, hearing that her husband had arrived, extremely jubilant quickly appeared excitedly from the house like she was the goddess of fortune manifesting herself from her abode. Seeing the husband she was so devoted to, she solemnly held her head down embracing him within her heart ,with closed eyes filled with tears because of her eagerness and love. He stood amazed at the sight of his wife who, shining in the midst of maidservants with golden lockets around their necks, radiated like a goddess. Pleased, he together with her entered his home,that with its hundreds of gem-studded pillars resembled the palace of the great Indra.  There were ivory beds ornamented with gold [with bedding] white as foam and couches with golden legs, yak tail fans, golden chairs with soft cushions and canopies hung with strings of pearls. Seeing the sparkling clear quartz walls inlaid with precious emeralds as also the shining jeweled lamps and the women decorated with jewels, the brahmin, now free from worries with all the excessive opulence, reasoned about the cause of his unexpected prosperity:
 'This prosperity here, of me always so unlucky and poverty stricken, must be the consequence of the glance that He, the Best of the Yadus who is of the Greatest Opulence, has cast on me. It is no doubt my Friend, the most exalted among the Dasharhas and Enjoyer of Unlimited Wealth, who, without saying a word, like a cloud [pouring rain] has given me this opulence when He, with me in His presence, noticed that I came begging. After having accepted with pleasure a palmful of roasted rice that I brought, this very day He makes something insignificant of the great gift He gives and something great of the meager gift of a friend [like me].  May there life after life, repeatedly be my love , friendship , sympathy  and servitude for Him, the Supremely Compassionate Reservoir of Transcendental Qualities, as also my adherence to the intimate association with His devotees.  The Supreme and Never Born Lord does not bestow the wonderful opulences - a kingdom and material assets - upon His devotee when he fails in understanding. In His wisdom He sees how the false pride [the arrogance, the conceit with the wealth, ] leads to the downfall of the wealthy.'

Sudama this way firmly being fixed in intelligence, was most devoted to Janardana and enjoyed free from intense desire [for wealth or profit] together with his wife. Therewith he always kept in mind that he,sooner or later,would have to abandon the objects of his senses. The brahmins are even the master of Him, the God of Gods, Hari, the Master and Lord of Sacrifice. There exists no higher worshipable deity than them. By thus recognizing the Unconquerable One as being conquered by His own servants he, the learned friend of the Supreme Lord, was released from his bondage to the material self. By the force of his meditation upon Him he soon attained His abode, the destination of the truthful ones.

The human being who hears about this sympathy for the brahmins of the Lord of the Brahmins, will find love for the Supreme Lord and be freed from the bondage of karma.

10:81

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 11:38:42 PM »
Sati Quits her Body

Maitreya said:

'After saying this much about the [possible] end of his wife's physical existence,if they visit her relatives who insulted innocent Lord Shiva , He fell silent. Since Sati understood that she had the choice between being anxious to see her relatives and being afraid to meet her relatives, she was in doubt whether she should go or not. She felt very sorry because of that,and shed tears in her affliction. Trembling she angrily looked at her Bhava, the unequaled one, as if she wanted to burn him. Breathing heavily she walked away from him, the saintly one so dear to her,to whom she had given half of her body. Being upset because of her grief and anger and with her intelligence clouded by her female nature, she out of love for her father then headed for his house.  Sati was quickly followed by the thousands of associates and Yaksha's of the three eyed one [Lord Shiva] who were headed by Maniman and Mada. Not afraid to leave her Lord Shiva alone they had put the bull Nandi in front. Having placed her on the decorated bull, her pet bird, ball, mirror, lotus flower, white umbrella, mosquito net, garlands and other stuff were taken along, accompanied by the music of drums, conch shells and flutes. She [thus] entered the sacrificial arena where with the help of sacrificial animals, pots, clay, wood, iron, gold and grass and skins to sit upon, the sacrifice, brightened by the sounds of Vedic hymns, was held that on all sides was attended by the great sages and authorities. But arriving there,out of fear for the performer of the sacrifice,Daksha,her father,she was not respected by anyone with a welcome, save of course for her own sisters and mother who embraced her with reverence, gladdened faces and throats choked by tears of affection.  But Sati, not being welcomed by her father, did not respond to the reverence shown with the greetings of her sisters, mother and aunts who with due respect properly informed her and offered her gifts and a seat. Realizing that her father with no oblations for Shiva had not invited the mighty one for the assembly of the sacrifice, Sati got very angry and looked incensed as if she wanted to burn the fourteen worlds with her eyes.  The goddess  for everyone present to hear began to condemn with words filled with anger the opponents of Shiva who were so proud of their troublesome sacrifices, meanwhile ordering his Bhutas who stood prepared to attack, to hold back. The blessed one said:

'He [Shiva] has no one in this world as his rival, no one is his enemy nor is anyone embodied dear to him. Who in the world but you would be envious with him, the most beloved being in the universe free from all enmity? Unlike you, oh twice born one, he doesn't find fault in the qualities of the seekers of truth, he rather greatly magnifies any little good he finds in others. And now you are with him, the greatest of all persons, finding fault! It is not so surprising, this deriding of glorious persons by those who take the transient body for the true self. It is an ugly evil to be envious with great personalities, and in this way they are bringing themselves down and are diminished by the dust of the holy feet of great Ones.  Persons who only once from their heart pronounce the two syllables of his name, see their sinful activities immediately defeated; that Shiva, whose order is never neglected and who is of an impeccable renown, you now strangely envy. Engaged at his lotus feet the higher personalities exercise their bee-like minds aspiring the nectar of transcendental bliss and for the common man he is the one sought who fulfills all desires. That you of all people now have to be against him, the friend of all living entities in all the three worlds!  Do you think that greater, more respectable personalities than you, such as Lord Brahma, do not know this inauspicious person who goes under the name Lord Shiva? He associates with the demons in the crematorium, his locks of hair are scattered all over his body, and he is garlanded with human skulls and smeared with ashes from the crematorium, but in spite of all these inauspicious qualities, great personalities like Brahma honor him by accepting the flowers offered to his lotus feet and placing them with great respect on their heads.  When one is confronted with people who irresponsibly blaspheme the controller of the religion, one should block one's ears and walk away, if nothing else can be done. But if one can do something, one should by force cut out the tongue of the vilifying blasphemer and next give up one's own life. That's the way to deal with such matters! Therefore I shall no longer bear this body I received from you who blasphemed God. To purify oneself from mistakenly having eaten poisonous food it is best to vomit, so one says.  Realised Souls who enjoy their lives do not always follow the rules and regulations of the Vedas, the ways of the gods differ from those of man. Therefore a man  should not criticize another man like Shiva by the standard of his own unique sense of duty . In truth the Vedas distinguish between activities performed in attachment and activities performed in detachment [pravritti and nivritti dharma], and thus one has on the basis of these two characteristics of dharma two choices. To be of both at the same time is contradictory and  thus it can be so that none of these activities are to the satisfaction of the one of transcendence.  My dear father, the opulence we possess is impossible for either you or your flatterers to imagine, for persons who engage in fruitive activities by performing great sacrifices are concerned with satisfying their bodily necessities by eating foodstuff offered as a sacrifice. We can exhibit our opulences simply by desiring to do so. This can be achieved only by great personalities who are renounced, self-realized souls. With your offenses against Shva and denial of this body that was produced from your body, I say enough is enough! I am ashamed to have taken this contemptible birth. Oh what a shame it is to be related by birth to a bad person, to someone who is an offender of great personalities. Because of the family tie I have with you,it makes me very sad when my great Lord Shiva calls me 'daughter of Daksha'. All my joy and smiles vanish immediately when he does so. Therefore I will give up this bag of bones that was produced from your body.'

Maitreya said: 'Oh annihilator of the enemy, speaking thus to Daksha in the arena of sacrifice, she sat down in silence on the ground with her face to the north. After touching water she, dressed in saffron garments, then closed her eyes to find absorption in the process of yoga. Balancing the inward and outward going breath she, the blameless one, in the control of her yogic posture with intelligence directed her life air upward. She raised it gradually up from the navel cakra to the heart, from the heart to the windpipe and from the throat to the place between her eyebrows. In her desire to give it up because of her anger towards Daksha, she who time and again full of respect sat on the lap of the most worshipful one of all saints, thus by the exercise of her own will focussed on the air and fire within her body. When she right there within her mind saw nothing but the nectarean lotus feet of her husband, the supreme spiritual teacher of the universe and was freed from all impurities, soon the body of Sati was ablaze because of the fire that originated from her absorption.

4;4

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2015, 11:07:14 PM »
The First Step in God Realization

My obeisances unto the Supreme Lord Vasudeva.

Shuka said: 'This inquiry of yours for the good of all is the best thing you can do, because this subject of study oh King, carries the approval of the transcendentalists and constitutes the supreme of all that is worth the attention. There are countless subject matters to hear about in human society, oh Emperor, that are the interest of those materially engrossed ones who are blind to the reality of the soul. They spend their lives oh King, with sleeping and having sex during the night and with making money and taking care of their family during the day. All too attached to the fallible allies of the body, the children, the wife and everything thereto, they despite their experience, do not see the finality of these matters. For this reason, oh descendant of Bharata, He must be discussed, glorified and remembered who as the Supersoul, the Supreme Personality, the controller and vanquishing Lord frees those from their anxieties who are of desire . All this analyzing of one's particular nature and how a person after being born should attain to the full awareness of the Supreme, in the end is only to remember Narayana(Lord). Generally,those sages who went beyond the sphere of prescriptions and restrictions oh King, are the ones who take pleasure in especially describing the glories of the Lord.

This story called the Bhagavatam contains the essence of the Vedas and was by me, at the end of this Dvapara-yuga , studied under the guidance of my father Dvaipayana Vyasa. Fully realized as I was,in transcendence ,my attention was drawn towards the enlightened verses about the Lord's pastimes oh saintly King, and thus I studied the narration. I will recite it to you, because you, oh goodness, are a most sincere devotee. They who respectfully dedicate their full attention to it very soon will realize an unflinching faith in Mukunda [Krishna as the Lord granting liberation]. (For those who are free from material desires as also for those who are desirous and for all who being free from fear and doubts are united within [the yogis] oh King, according to the tradition, repeated singing of the Lord's holy name is the approved method.  What is the use of spending one's years as an ignoramus in this world without having [this] experience? The hour one deliberately spends in service of the higher cause is the better one. The saintly king known as Khathvanga set aside everything when he knew that he had but a moment to live longer in this world and thus experienced the full security of the Lord. Oh member of the Kuru family, therefore also your life's duration that is limited to seven days, should inspire you to perform everything needed for a next ,higher life. Seeing the end of one's life one should be free from the fear of death by cutting, with the help of the weapon of non-attachment, with all desires as also with everything associated with them. Piously self controlled,having left one's home for a sacred place, one should in solitude sit down on a  properly cleansed and purified place,and assume the proper posture. After sitting in the above manner, make the mind remember the three transcendental letters [a-u-m], and by regulating the breathing process, control the mind so not to forget the transcendental seed. Gradually, as the mind becomes progressively spiritualized, withdraw it from sense activities, and by intelligence the senses will be controlled. This way the mind should be fully focused on the Lord. Thereafter, you should meditate upon the limbs of the Lord, one after another, without being deviated from the conception of the complete body. Thus the mind becomes free from all sense objects. There should be no other thing to be thought upon. Because the Supreme Lord, Viṣṇu, is the Ultimate Truth, the mind becomes completely reconciled in Him only. One's mind is always agitated by the passionate mode of material nature and bewildered by the ignorant mode. But one can rectify such conceptions with relation with Lord and thus become pacified by cleansing the dirty things created by them. They who fixed in the habit of such remembrance seek unification and hold on to this devotion will soon be of success.'

The fortunate King Pariksit, inquiring further, said: O brahmana, please describe in full detail how and where the mind has to be applied and how the conception can be fixed in order to directly escape from a polluted mind?'

Shuka said: 'When one sits down in control, has subdued one's breath and has conquered one's attachment as also one's senses, one should focus one's attention upon the gross appearance,potencies of the Supreme Lord [the virath-rupa].

His individual body is this gross material world in which we experience all that belongs to the past, the present and the future of this universe in existence. This outer shell of the universe known as a body with seven coverings [fire, water, earth, sky, ego, noumenon and phenomenon, see also koshas], is the conception of the object of the Universal Form of the Purusha as the Supreme Lord. The lower worlds are recognized by the ones who studied it as the soles of His feet [called Patala] to which His heels and toes are called Rasatala, His ankles Mahatala while the shanks of the gigantic person are called the Talatala worlds. The two knees of the Universal Form are called Sutala, the thighs Vitala and Atala and the hips are named Mah?tala, o King, while outer space is taken to be the depression of His navel. The higher illumined worlds are his chest, with above it the neck called Mahar, His mouth planets called Janas,while Tapas is the name of the worlds which are the forehead,with Sathyaloka [the world of Truth] as the uppermost of the worlds of Him who has a thousand heads. The gods headed by Indra are His arms, the four directions are His ears and sound is His sense of hearing. The nostrils of the Supreme are the Ashvini-kumaras [demigods], while fragrance is His sense of smell and His mouth the blazing fire.The sphere of outer space constitutes His eyepits, and the eyeball is the sun as the power of seeing. His eyelids are both the day and night, and in the movements of His eyebrows, Brahma and similar supreme personalities reside. His palate is the director of water, Varuṇa, and the juice or essence of everything is His tongue. They say that the vedic Hymns are the thoughtprocess of the Supreme, that his jaws make up Yamar?ja [the Lord of death], His teeth are His affection and that His smile is the most alluring unsurpassable material energy [maya]; the material creation is but the casting of His glance. Modesty is His upper lip, His chin for sure the hankering, religion is His breast, and the way of irreligion His back. Brahma is His genitals, His testicles are the Mitra-varunas, His waist the oceans and the stack of His bones are the mountains. His veins are the rivers and the plants and trees are the hairs on the body of the Universal Form, o King. The air is His omnipotent breathing, the passing ages are His movement and the reactions of the modes of material nature are His activities. Let me tell you that the hairs on the head of the Supreme Controller are the clouds, o best of the Kuru's, and that the intelligence of the Almighty is the prime cause of the material creation, so one says. His mind, the reservoir of all changes, is known as the moon. The singing of the birds is His artistic sense and Manu, the father of man forms the contents of His thought with humanity as His residence. The angelic and celestial beings [the Gandharva's, Vidyadharas and Caranas] constitute his musical rhythm while the remembrance of terrorizing soldiers represents His prowess. His face is the brahmaṇas, His arms are the kṣatriyas, His thighs are the vaisyas, and the sudras are under the protection of His feet. All the worshipable demigods are also overtaken by Him, and it is the duty of everyone to perform sacrifices with feasible goods to appease the Lord. I have thus explained to you the gross material gigantic conception of the Lord. One who seriously desires liberation concentrates his mind on this form, because there is nothing beyond Him. One should concentrate his mind upon the Supreme,who is the Soul of All, who alone distributes Himself in so many manifestations just as ordinary persons create thousands of manifestations in dreams. One must concentrate the mind on Him, the only all-blissful Absolute Truth. Otherwise one will be misled and will cause his own degradation.

2;1

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2015, 08:06:44 PM »

The Supreme Lord encouraged by the gopis, sometimes danced or sang for them,
as if He was a simple, ordinary child they could control like a wooden doll.
Sometimes He on request carried a wooden seat, a measuring jug or a pair of shoes,
to which He made fun with His relatives by striking His arms [as if He would be a strong adult].
By acting like a child to the pleasure of everyone,
the Supreme Lord in Vraja showed the world to what extent He submits to His devotees.

10;11\7,8,9

One day,little Krishna heard a fruit vendor calling:
'Oh people, come and get your fruits!'
And so the Infallible One, the Bestower of all Fruits with desire to have some fruit Himself,
quickly grabbed some paddy and came to buy it from the vendor.
What He had to offer had slipped from the palms of His hands [on the way],
 but,nevertheless, the fruit lady filled them with fruits.
Thereupon the entire basket of fruits filled with gold and jewels!

10;11\10,11
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 01:42:16 PM by Jewell »