Author Topic: Swami Sivananda's Teachings and Quotes  (Read 20777 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Swami Sivananda's Teachings and Quotes
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2016, 09:41:55 AM »
PRAYER FOR PURITY

O loving Lord of Compassion! Hey Prabhu! The Soul of my soul, the Life of my life, the Mind of my mind, the Ear of my ears, Light of lights, Sun of suns! Give light and purity. Let me get established in physical and mental Brahmacharya. Let me be pure in thoughts, word and deed. Give me strength to control my Indriyas (senses) and observe the Brahmacharya Vrata. Protect me from all sorts of temptations of this world. Let all my Indriyas be ever engaged in Thy sweet service.

Wipe out the sexual Samskaras (impressions) and Vasanas (subtle desires). Annihilate lust from my mind. Make me a true Brahmachari, Sadachari and Oordhvareta Yogi. Let me be chaste in my look. Let me always walk in the path of righteousness. Make me as pure as Swami Vivekananda, Swami Dayananda, Bhishma Pitamaha, Hanuman or Lakshmana. Forgive. Forgive all my Aparadhas (offenses). I am Thine. I am Thine. Trahi, Trahi. Protect, protect. Prachodayat, Prachodayat. Enlighten, enlighten. Guide me. Om. Om. Om.

Dear friends, please do take some time to go through this article. They content is invaluable and quite serious in nature, applicable to one and all who are serious about their spiritual journey.

http://www.dlshq.org/download/brahma_nopic.htm
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2016, 07:08:31 PM »

The 8th of September is the Birthday of Swami Sivananda  and sharing below is the chanting of the Mantra "Om Namo Bhagavate Sivananandaya " by one of his Chief Disciple Swami Chidananda . Ever grateful to Master Sivananda for all the blessings in my life .Om Namo Bhagavate Sivanandaya .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95jItrRStvc
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2016, 08:53:43 AM »
The Name of the Lord alone is the sure remedy for all ills of life. Therefore, take the holy Name of the Lord always. Feel His presence wherever you go, God is everywhere. Take shelter in Him.

- Swami Chidananda
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2017, 01:51:25 AM »

Trials, difficulties, troubles and sufferings are necessary for your purification and to strengthen your will and power of endurance. Face them bravely and come out triumphantly. Press on. Strive on with all your will; only then is the grace of God bestowed. God helps those who help themselves. If bad thoughts enter your mind, simply ignore them. Offer a prayer to the Lord and substitute divine thoughts by studying the sacred books. The spiritual fire should be generated day after day. Hold fast to the ideal. Keep the flame of aspiration ever bright. Scorn mundane delights and strife. Dedicate your life to God. Meditate. Scale the spirit's steepest height and reach the peak of eternal wisdom and bliss divine. Nothing is able to daunt the firm and resolute aspirant or turn him from a course which he considers to be right, or which he holds to be his duty. Be brave and courageous. You must pass with one breath over the mountain of difficulties. The atman cannot be attained by a life of weakness and error.

You have infinite strength within you. Be strong. Look within. Meditate. Tap the source. Have an indomitable will, backed by an abiding faith. You are bound to succeed in everything. God is the light of lights. He is knowledge. He is the knower. God is the same from age to age. God never changes; he is ageless. God has no opposite. God is truth, beauty, goodness. God has no religion; He is the source of all religion. God is one. God is peace. God is universal harmony. God is love and law. As a lamp cannot burn without oil, so man cannot live without God. Creation reveals that God is dharma (righteousness). God is the bestower of grace which is boundless and inexhaustible.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 02:35:34 AM by Jewell »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2017, 12:09:38 PM »
Gayatri Japa

by Swami Sivananda ? In The divine Life Society

"Let us meditate on Isvara and His Glory who has created the Universe, who is fit to be worshipped, who is the remover of all sins and ignorance. May he enlighten our intellect. "
The aspirant prays to Mother Gayatri, "O Beloved Mother! At the present moment I have taken my body as the self owing to Avidya or ignorance, through my impure intellect. Give me a pure intellect which will enable me to know my real nature. Give me light and knowledge. "
This is the Brahma-Gayatri Mantra. Gayatri is the 'Blessed Mother' of Vedas. There is no milk superior to cow's milk. Even so there is no Mantra superior to Gayatri. As Omkara or Pranava is for Sannyasins, so is Gayatri for Brahmacharis and householders. The fruits that are attained by meditation on Omkara can be attained by meditation on Gayatri. The same goal that is reached by a Paramahamsa Sannyasin can be reached by a Brahmachari or a householder by meditating on Gayatri.
Get up at 4 a. m. in Brahmamuhurta and start Japa and meditation on Gayatri (Panchmukhi or five-faced Devi seated in lotus flower), sitting on Padmasana, Siddhasana or Virasana, facing North or East.
Burn incense in the room. In summer you can take a bath. In winter you can simply wash your face, hands and feet and do achamana only. Continue the Japa for two hours or more.
Have another sitting at night between 7 and 8 p. m. Constantly feel that you are receiving light, purity and wisdom from Gayatri. This is important. Keep the image of the Gayatri at the Trikuti, the space between the eye-brows by closing the eyes and concentrate there, or keep the image in the lotus of the heart and concentrate there.
You will have Darshan of Gayatri.
It is better if you do Japa of Gayatri 3000 to 4000 times daily. Your heart will be purified rapidly. If you are not able to do this number, you can do 1008 times daily. If you find it difficult to do this number also, do at least 108 times daily, 36 times at sunrise, 36 times at noon, 36 times at sunset.
There is special, mysterious spiritual force or wonderful magnetic power at Sandhi or junction of the time, sunrise and sunset. The mind will be elevated quickly. It will be filled with Sattva.
Concentration will come by itself without any effort at this time.
If you find it difficult to get up at Brahmamuhurta, get up before sunrise & Performa the Gayatri Mantra .
=================================================================
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:11:16 PM by atmavichar100 »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2017, 02:50:09 PM »
Plunge into Sadhana. Start it from today. Regular meditation alone will give you the actual realization of the Atman. Get up in the early morning and meditate. Withdraw the mind and the senses from the world. Direct the gaze within. Do Japa. Pray. There is a great spiritual power in the Lord's name. Have faith. Practise. You will yourself realize this. Be regular in your Japa. Meditation will come by itself. The Lord will lead you along the royal road to His lotus-feet. Cling to the divine name. It is the supreme saviour in this Kali Yuga (present age)~Swami Sivananda

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2017, 07:45:10 AM »
"Life is short. Time is fleeting. The world is full of miseries. Cut the knot of Avidya and drink the Nirvanic bliss. That day on which you do not perform Japa is simply wasted. Those who simply eat, drink and sleep and do not perform Japa are horizontal beings only."

Swami Sivananda

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2017, 08:39:24 AM »
Japa Yoga

by Sri Chinmayananda, an excerpt from Tune in the Mind.

For Chinmayananda publications visit www.chinmayapublications.org

Japa is a very effective mental discipline for spiritual progress. In recent history there is the instance of the esteemed teacher of Sivaji, Samartha R?mad?s, who perfected himself through the japa yoga of the Sri Rama-mantra: ?Sri Rama Jaya Rama Jaya Jaya Rama.? Bhagavan Yogesvara Krsna Himself says in the Git?: ?I am, among the yogas, the japa yoga.?
?How must I start?? To do japa is the way to perform the japa yoga. What happened to that holiday maker who waited on the sea-shore for the waves to subside so that he may take his bath comfortably? Don?t waste your time in vain on the shores of life; get into the ocean of this bliss and be refreshed.
Have a special room for your prayers; fix a charming picture of your heart?s Lord, at such a height from the floor that when you sit in front of it, the Lord?s feet shall be in level with your eyes. Spread a plain seat (?sana) in front of your ista, the Lord of your heart. Have a mala (rosary) of 108 beads. Now start the japa, behind closed doors please, to begin with. Sitting on the ?sana in any comfortable, legs-folded pose, in the beginning, gaze at the Lord?s beaming face, body, legs, feet. Now slowly raise the gaze up from feet, legs and body, to the face of the Lord. Close the eyes now; feel His presence within you and try to visualize the Lord exactly as in the picture. This visualization of the Lord should be done within you in your love-heart, which is exactly on the right side of the physical heart. This is the spiritual heart-centre where, if you meditate, your success is doubly assured. Feel feel His presence.
Now repeat your ista-mantra a few times, slowly, steadily with all the love you are capable of. This invokes the devotion (bhakti) in you to do japa most effectively. Take the mala,? search for the off-bead: this is called the Meru. Bring the tips of your ring-finger and thumb together, and let the mala be hung at this junction, repeat fervently your ista-mantra; at each repetition turn one bead with the middle-finger, always allowing the index finger to stand apart.
The index finger is considered to be an ?outcast? because of its language. This finger is generally used in pointing out the ?other?, in accusing ?another?, in threatening etc. Essentially the index finger is used to express duality and the other-ness of things and beings!

When you have thus repeated 108 times your chosen mantra, naturally, you will come back to the meru-bead: you have now done one mala. Now be careful: don?t cross the meru turn the mala in such a way that the 109th mantra is counted on the bead with which the 107th mantra was registered. Thereafter proceed in all sincerity and finish with your second mala of japa. Thus do 20 malas of japa twice a day? once in the morning and once in the evening.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2017, 08:36:55 AM »
The effect of one?s reading and learning can be seen in one?s behaviour. If the behaviour has not changed, it means the learning acquired is like water poured over a rock, which gets wet only on the surface without allowing the water to seep into it.

- Swami Krishnananda

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2017, 11:52:55 AM »
?Don?t drop directly into bed without lifting your vibration level ( through Meditation , Prayer etc ) . When you get up, you will see that you have been fully recharged. Otherwise, your body is under tension and, like a tap dripping water, it will drip prana ( subtle energy ) unnecessarily so that when you wake up, you won?t even have the energy to get up.? - Swami Vishnudevananda

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2017, 07:36:50 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2017, 06:21:26 PM »
Sadhana is not any kind of bodily action that is outwardly directed, but is rather a state of mind, a condition of thinking, a consciousness in which one lives.- Swami Krishnananada

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2017, 06:57:51 PM »
The service of the Guru is not an old-fashioned system, and it is indeed the system that will prevail and work even today, and it has to work for all time; because the Guru is not to be regarded as a person, though for all outward vision the Guru may look like any person.- Swami Krishnananda

Today ( Sat 28 Oct 2017 ) is Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj's 16th Punyatithi Aradhana.
Here is what Swami Sivananda said about him
He is a master of practically every system of Indian thought and Western philosophy. ?Many Sankaras are rolled into one Krishnananda,? ? ?I Marvel at Krishnanandaji?.

- Swami Sivananda
[/color]

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2017, 03:04:08 PM »
HEALING BY PRAYER:
The best medicine for all diseases is Kirtan, Japa and regular Meditation. The Divine waves regenerate and energies the cells, tissues, nerves etc. Another very cheap but really potent medicine is cheerfulness, smile, laugh and be cheerful. All diseases will take to their heels. Even when the medical board pronounced a case to be absolutely hopeless, prayers comes to the rescue and the patient is surprisingly cured. Healing by prayer is miraculous and mysterious.
Lord Dhanwantari who expounded the Ayurvedic Medical Science has himself declared "By the medicine of the repetition of Achyuta, Govinda" all diseases are cured. This is my definite and honest declaration.
- Sri Swami Sivananda

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2017, 10:10:32 PM »