Author Topic: THIS FORUM  (Read 1855 times)

Nishta

• View Profile
THIS FORUM
« on: February 10, 2018, 03:50:02 AM »
deleted -- no longer relevant
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:30:23 AM by Nishta »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: THIS FORUM
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 02:36:54 PM »
Nishta

I do agree that not much activity is there except for Sri Subramanianji who posts regularly . This forum has seen intense activity , sharp debates etc in the past and it also slows down  in between and this may pick up again . This is a cycle .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 05:31:29 PM »
Dear Nishta,

Sri Graham has disabled direct registration on this site,and who wants to register needs to write to him (to new administrator now). It is written on www.arunachala-ramana.org, and here http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=4828.msg49851#new. It is done for the good cause. There were many spammers,and,to say,many curious people who are not genuinely interested in spirituality. That way some peace and integrity of this forum is preserved.

I feel that decision was very good,so now this forum is just what was intended to be. One beautiful and holy place where we can talk about this journey and philosophy,not disturbed by some nonsense and similar. The great number of members is not the reason why there is no communication sometimes. It is like that from the moment it is built. Like Sri Atmavichar said,it is periodically. One burning,tricky question,and all is changed. That does not depend on the administrator,but on members. Currently here are 821 registered members. If that is not enough for conversation,i do not know what is.
Many members actually do not like to converse much,so they lock their topics, or something like that. ;)

With love,
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:43:30 PM by Jewell »

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:04:53 PM »
Dear Nishta,
        :)

Do we see the practical reasons why this forum is not very active ? most of our friends here are in monologue mode , not in a dialogue mode, leave alone debates!

i personally feel that unless we question, discuss, disagree and even debate lot of things will not be learnt.
and if i cannot tolerate a debate, that means i cannot handle a debate retaining calmness and that itself is a reason for me to involve in debate and try being calm... thats the only way i can work on that vasana.

Subramanian sir writes but mostly monologues. you have a thread where replying disabled ! :)

If one is only interested in a monologue why a forum , why not write in one's own blog ?

Love!
Silence

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 09:38:15 AM »
hi Udai

partly true but your arguments are not in line with the actual self enquiry technique given by sri ramana.  there is a futile attempt to reconcile the same with the traditional advaita teachings.

though Bhagavan encouraged traditional advaita sadhana such as Ribhu Gita reading etc.  his actual self enquiry method is a new discovery of a age old hidden secret teaching and hence he is a mantra drishtaa Rishi of self enquiry...that is why he got the name Maharishee...

unless we agree on this basic difference there is no point in debates

so here you go...i gave some food for debates in above lines... :)  :)

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 12:49:40 PM »
Dear ksksat27,
so here you go...i gave some food for debates in above lines... :)  :)
:) thats very good. thats how discussions can take place and people can mutually benefit.

1. But What makes you think Traditional Advaita is different from Bhagavan's teachings ?
2. How did you come to this conclusion ?
3. Did Ramana ever say his self inquiry method is new ?

Love!
Silence

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 10:41:35 AM »
Dear Nishta,

I do not agree that Inquiry "steals" away the habit. When the mind is totally still one may not feel like even speaking. but then, when one starts to involve in the world, one speaks and also acts. when mind is kept still for a long time, it tends to remain motionless. thats all that happens. but spirituality is not about motionless-ness of mind ... mind is like a car ... one needs to handle the mind. when moving and when still. otherwise one is not a good driver of the car.

Somehow people have a feeling that it is some kind of "spiritually superior state" to not debate :)

if a person gets excited, agitated or unhappy in a debate ... that means such a person has some "error"/"problem", a strong vasana within ... which needs to be addressed. and a vasana cannot be addressed by keeping away from it... when i face the vasana then alone can it be addressed. for example : suppose i am afraid of darkness... by avoiding darkness i only do not allow the vasana to arise. it is only when it arises that i can address it. same way, if a debate makes one agitated, better not run away from it ... face it!

and if a debate does not agitate the person... such a one should be perfectly fine to debate / not debate !

If there were no inclination to share/discuss/debate spirituality then one would not join a forum :D especially given that it takes time to even register !!

Love!
Silence

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 04:35:49 PM »
Uday

i do not remember exact quotes or book references.  further i have lot of worldly items and hence i try to reply as shortly as i can now.

these are just my observations.  even i write this, i feel i have lost the zest and spirit with which we used to converse 5 years back.

1. But What makes you think Traditional Advaita is different from Bhagavan's teachings ?

traditional advaita has its own practices, there is talk of a formal vedanta learning etc. 

when kunju swami expressed his desire to go somewhere to learn traditional vedanta, Bhagavan was not of approval.

The terms I thought, thinking I , I,   asking to whom these thoughts arise etc. shows that his enquiry model was not earlier discovered by any other sage. 

some people in Maharishee time asked about his and Sankara teachings.  that question itself is wrong. Bhagavan was unique in many aspects that asking about other sage teaching with that of Maharishee is a futile attempt. Bhagavan replied about tallying only because the ultimate view was of purna advaita for both of the teachers.

he clearly speaks of two paths -- enquiry and meditation on Self.  in Naan Yaar.  the endless repititons of soham etc. is comapred by Bhagavan elsewhere to someone saying all the time I am a man , I am a man etc.

further Bhagavan has also told that I am Brahman itself is a thought.  so Self Abidance or Just Be or Being or Awareness is his teaching. this awareness is being aware of ourselves without any objects coming in the way.  that is the innermost feeling of existence.

if you hear Nochur talks or David Godman or Micahel James all clearly emphaszie this point.

it is not just witnessing thoughts or doing Bhava meditations.

of course Bhagavan approved traditional advaita, he presrcibed that as a necessary aid when he asked people to read Ribhu Gita.  even his instruction to Annamalai Swami was of traditional advaita.  he translated hastamalakam, Dakshinamurthy stothram etc. so Bhagavan infact approved, advocated to some. 

but he is not a sanyasi...he belonged to a different class like Shukha, Sanat Kumaras.  we cannot define him by any human means...

Bhagavan had lot of saiva samaya qualities..he exhibited extraordinary devotion to arunachala shiva....  he wrote very little and spread grace by his mere Being at Arunachala....

2. How did you come to this conclusion ?

inherently i know Udai... Bhagavan cannot be fit into one school definitely...that is a futile attempt..he was all around 360 degree....  his final teaching was exactly that of sankara or gaudapada...but that is final absolute position...his ways and means were very different

more importantly Bhagavan did not have any sankalpa and he was free from the sastric injunctions on adhikara bedha when it comes to disciples...

3. Did Ramana ever say his self inquiry method is new ?

but whatever i am bereft of energy for a discussion. 

Love!
Silence
[/quote]

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 11:55:50 AM »
Dear ksksat27,

How did you rule out the possibility that it is a "devotee ego" :P that wants Bhagavan to be "Superior" or "Different" from Advaita Vedanta ? :)

Love!
Silence

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »
Udai

i try to reply in short sentences...i want to reply  but there is no energy..

I am not speaking like Michael James who is running a blog for Sri Ramana.

I am giving a neutral observation Udai.   

All Guru are God or Self alone.  so there is no necessity to prove that one Guru is different or superior to another.

all i am keep on saying is this.

Bhagavan Raman no doubt propounded drishti-shristhi vadha and ajata doctrines,  a clear advaita vedanta philosophy. 
if someone says Bhagavan was Saiva Siddanta or Vishishtadvaita, it is outright not correct.

Bhagavan Ramana was in the same state as Adhi Shankara and many other sages.

Bhagavan Ramana translated Sanakra's dakshnamurthy stothtram, hasthamalakam etc.  again no doubt. he clearly endorsed all that.

if u want to listen to what i say, the subtle differences start on the approach, methods and the ways in which Bhagavan ramana had his teachings

Bhagavan emphasized lot of devotion to arunachala hill and encouraged giri pradakshina.   this was something unique ( the arunachala connection).  this does not mean Thakur or Sankara is less greater.  all i am saying is, the approach differs.

the target auidence and devotees differ.  the teaching methodologies differ ( to varying degrees)

one extreme is fanatically saying Bhagavan self enquiry is the one and only way and all other sages are wrong.

but there is another extreme, where we try to equalize sages artificially and try to bring Bhagvan under traditional advaita fold.

both extremes we need not have.

Bhagavan Ramana was Bhagavan Ramana. nobody can replace.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 08:14:44 AM »
In this forum only Subramaniam makes the loudest sound by firing canons after canons, that too of Shiva. Otherwise the forum is relatively calm.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...