Author Topic: Kavya Kanta Ganapati Muni - Liberation Day - 25.07.1014  (Read 1133 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Kavya Kanta Ganapati Muni - Liberation Day - 25.07.1014
« on: July 25, 2014, 09:56:27 AM »
Today is the Liberation Day of Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni, one of the earliest devotees of Sri Bhagavan.

He was born in the year 1878 and thus elder to Sri Bhagavan.   He was a renowned Sanskrit poet and scholar,
was thus known by his title Kavyakanta - one from whose throat poems came out spontaneously.

After meeting Sri Bhagavan and having got convinced of His spiritual attainment, he, for the first time called him 'Bhagavan
and Ramana Maharshi.   

After hearing about Sri Bhagavan, he came with a voice trembling with emotion he cried, 'All that has to be read I have read.
I have performed japa to my heart's content.  Yet I have not up to this time understood what tapas is. Pray and enlighten me
about the nature of tapas.'

After listening to Muni, Sri Bhagavan  gazed silently at him as he sat in anxious expectation.  Then He said in Tamizh:
'If a mantra-sound is repeated and attention to the source from which the mantra sound is produced, the mind will be
absorbed in that.  That is tapas.'  Muni's heart was filled with joy.  He stayed on the Hill for some hours and composed
five verses in praise of Sri Bhagavan.  He also wished his disciples to call Him Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi.

In 1908, when Muni went to TiruvoRRiyur and did severe tapas for 18 days in a Ganapati Temple there, his kundalini
raised and was about to split open the crown.  He had unbearable pain and burning on the hear.  Sri Bhagavan who
had never left Tiruvannamalai, found that His body moved skyward and reached TiruvoRRiur and sat beside Muni
and touched his head.  The burning and pain subsided.

Again Muni wanted to composed 1000 verses under the title Uma Sahasram.  This was about to be read out in\
Arunachaleswa Temple.  But till the previous night he had composed only 700 verses.  He came to Pachiamman Temple,
where Sri Bhagavan was staying and sat before Him to help him.  He had come with five of his disciples to take down
the verses,. Sri Bhagavan looked at Muni and inspired him to tell out the remaining 300 verses in less than three hours.
Muni felt that it was Sri Bhagavan who was telling verse by verse through him.  Later though he revised the first 700 verses
a number of times, he never altered the last 300 verses.             

Muni was a prolific writer in Sanskrit.  He wrote Hara Sahasram, Indrani Sapta Sati and other works.  He also wrote
the Sanskrit version of Ulladu Narpadu under the title Sad Darsanam. 

He was also responsible for Sri Ramana Gita which contains questions by him and his disciples and the replies given
by Sri Bhagavan. The famous verse, Hrudaya Guhara Madhye... is in Sri Ramana Gita.

He had several noted disciples, Kapali Sastri, who wrote a commentary on Sri Ramana Gita and also a commentary
of Arunachala Pancharatnam.

Unlike Sri Bhagavan, Muni toured several places with famous temples and did tapas and yagna there. 
He went to as many as 50 temples. 

He wrote as many as 25 letters in Sanskrit, Telugu and Tamizh when he was staying in Sirsi, Karnataka. Under
each letter he wrote one or two poems in praise of Sri Bhagavan.  He wanted to write 100 poems but he could
do only 40.  This was collected by Sri Bhagavan and this became the Sri Ramana Chatvarimsat.

When he was in Karagpur, he took ill and on 25.07.1936 he merged in Arunachala. He was only 58 years old then.
Telegram was sent to Maharshi. Sri Bhagavan said in a choking voice:  When can we see again such a great
scholar as Nayana?   

His wife Visalakshi was also a great tapasvini.  She concentrated on Kundalini Yoga.  She was also an exponent of
Tara Vidya. She passed away on 27.07.1926  She was only 45 years then.         

The life and works of Muni has come out in 10 volumes compiled by his disciples.

Arunachala Siva.

ksksat27

• View Profile
Re: Kavya Kanta Ganapati Muni - Liberation Day - 25.07.1014
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 04:29:11 PM »
Dear sir,

Do you know the descendants of Sri Ganapti muni?  where are they living now?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Kavya Kanta Ganapati Muni - Liberation Day - 25.07.1014
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »
Dear Krishnan,

I have no idea.

Arunachala Siva.