Author Topic: Understanding Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's teachings  (Read 1914 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Understanding Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's teachings
« on: July 24, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »
I opened this topic on request of Sri Krishna(ksksat27).

Dear Sri Krishna,

I am not sure i understood anything,but anyway,i will write what i think i understood.
What Maharaj teaches is pretty much the same thing all Great Sages teach,and our Bhagavan too.

How i see it,ultimatievly,there is no teaching,there is only wisdom and life,alive wisdom,so to say. There is not any goal to reach,no realisation in a way i imagined it to be,some sort of some special illumination or explosion,where i will be all powerful and wise. Only droping of this prison,this weight in a way of I. Now,i see that there is only Life and Wisdom,Wisdom which comes when we drop the mind. And this life goes by itself,leading,unfolding itself in a most beautiful way,when we are surrendered to it. There is no single universal teaching,one which all can embrace,only wisdom for each of us,valid in some particular moment and situation. Something utterly alive,,and Eternal.
It is only important to watch this mind,its behaviour,how operates,how it is capable to catch hold of us. I noticed it needs food,just one touch,one little grip,and than it grows,it grab us deeper and deeper when our guard is down. And it feeds on everything,litteraly. All these things which we took like "I",this person. Most important thing is too be just indifirent watcher,to watch our behaviour,impulses,thoughts,and to see how they operate,how they lead us to completely wrong conclusions,and beliefs,how all unfolds when brought in touch with awareness. How it is not what we are. Not to condemn,not to praise,just to watch itvpatiently,and only than we will see it in right light,what it truly is.

Like Maharaj loved to say,to drop all concepts. Whenever i come to some conclusion,after some time this gets destroyed too,and i am left empty handed. I was sooo irritated so many times coz of it. Thinking and imagining that something is like this,like :' Ooooo,this is how it is!' Than i see,or read something different,where some more explanation is given,and i think in line like:"What is the Truth for Gods sake!!!   Would i ever understand it?! Can someone just tell me raw Truth,without tricks,symbols,alegories...!" And than i saw that is actually the point. To destry all concepts,all imaginations,all pictures we had in mind. To drop the mind itself. What is left than,is only to follow Life,to discriminate always,to recognise mind always when it is doing its usual things,in a very usual pattern.

The metod itself i understood to be all this and traying to catch and hold this very I,in a way of selfenquiry. And ultimatievly,to drop doership. I see it like only thing which constitute this person. Whithout it,there is only That,our very Self,God Almighty,and all is well. Ultimatievly,this little self is only Him too,and there is nothing appart from it. How,why,what,when,all this must be droped too.

I do not know,what ever i say there is a new thought and seeing which anulate it. So,no conclusion. Just adopting the metod we like the most,with love toward our Guru or God,with endurance,preservance,patience and determination. And above all Faith. But Faith is all this anyway.
There is one important thing i forgot to say,how much i love Maharaj's way of teaching,and teaching itself. When i read about His way of life,His words,that is all in union. It does not betray one anither. And i believe that was His message too,like He said it. To live this wisdom.
And that is indeed hardest for me. [edited later].

This is how i see all Maharaj's words. For now. :-)

What are Your thoughts?

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:20:16 PM by Jewell »

ksksat27

• View Profile
Re: Understanding Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's teachings
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 11:38:04 AM »
Jewell , wonderful.   For me,  the below conversation is so enlightening.  Please read and ponder over.

Especiall the bold statements.   It looks like this very moment,  my existence (however pathetic existence it may be)  that Knowledg that I exist itself is a great maya gift and great energy.   That I am sure I am existing is the greatest gift of the Consciousness . I leave it to the original words and reproducing that small dialogue. One can ponder over th ebelow bold statement for a life time I think.

Now you know that you are. Prior to this moment, did you have this knowledge that you exist? This consciousness, beingness, which you are experiencing now, was it there earlier?
V: It has been, on and off.

Maharaj: This confidence that you are, the knowledge of your existence, was it there earlier?

Visitor: When I do what Maharaj tells me, it is very clear. It is still in an infantile stage, but my sense of "me" is completely undone, and there arises great happiness, peace and clarity; but it comes and goes, and I forget.

M: Its inherent nature is time-bound. It has appeared as childhood and it is there now; but it wasn't there some years back. So you cannot possibly say that it is the Eternal. So don't believe that it is true.1 And so long as you are having this "I"-consciousness, you will be trying to acquire things; so long as you know that you are, the things that you possess have an emotional significance to you. Now there is the fact that your "I"-consciousness itself is time-bound. So when this dissolves, what is the value of all those things which you possessed?

V: Nil.

M: As long as you have not understood this child-consciousness, you'll get involved in the world and its activities. Therefore, the real liberation is only when you understand that child-consciousness. Do you agree?

V: I do agree.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 03:37:05 PM »
Dear Sri Krishna,

This is indeed essence of Maharaj's teachings,and the words He stressed over and over again. To hold that only thing which is sure in this moment,our very existence,and than taking us beyond even this.
I always loved that term 'child consciousness'. It describes beautifuly the way selfenquiry should be done,so to say. I understood it like,just being awake,holding this wakefulness itself,like in some sort of pure wonder. Or it is not even wonder,but just being conscious. In a way that should be without thoughts or whatsoever,but just pure holding of that ecistence,consciousness that i am,i exist. Just that first touch of it.
And i adore His questions :"What you were 8 days prior to conception,or birth?." Consciousness there,you exist,you know,consciousness not there,there is not existence too. This is off course what we experience,and this is not true existence. Some sort of limited perception only,confined on some sort of body,any tipe of body. And that we are not. Coz there is no we,me,them,which is just empty imagination. Where our True Self is beyond all this,All embracing,body consciousness and uncounsciousness,Pure Awareness burning brightly behind all these wails,and making them burn too.
But,i must say,i can hear this a thousand times,but only when i see it for myself,i can understand it,or go beyond understanding. Somehow,when these words and our experience match,that we see it directly,step by step,only then it is a true course. When every single thing is experienced directly,from smallest to bigest. But that was the point from the very begining.
Beautiful words indeed. "Wake up!"--- I always imagine Him saying this in His powerful and known way. :)

With love and prayers,

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 12:37:43 PM »
Dear Jewell

Thanks for your reply.

There are few observations and questions:

you said below:

"To hold that only thing which is sure in this moment,our very existence,and than taking us beyond even this. "

Now I think going beyond the I am feeling is something we cannot do now or we cannot comprehend it now.  The only thing that is feasible now is to stabilize ourselves in teh innermost feeling I am.

When I deeply think this is what Maharaj says,  let us assume one sunny day you travel in a crowded rural bus truck in a remote village surrounded by fully crowded men. Or a boring day in a hot desert all alone.  Or whatever is terribly uncomfortable depending on one's culture or whatsover.  Now the vital clue Maharaj states is that,  "you have a sense of existence,  in that sweating crowded irritable atmosphere. It it is a greatest gift, that you are conscious, you are aware that you exist,  strange enough it is awarded to you unasked for, there is a sense of dwelling with self conscious state.  It is only body consciousness,  there is no strange experience, still you feel the sweat, you feel your limbs, you feel the pain but still you are" Maharaj wants to mediate on this existence , the feeling that you exist , something that has come unasked for.

In this regard he wants us to ask question such as "how did i feel 8 days before conception".  It was actually a nirvana state where there was no time and space.  It was the same state that was present 200 years before my conception.  So suddenly, all of a sudden, from non existence,I started to feel that I exist and this is the vital clue, this is that child consciousness.

It is very interesting if you re-call your childhood events and associate with this teaching, one can literally feel that these events are going picture after picture.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 04:45:56 PM »
Dear Sri Krishna,

I am very sorry for late reply.
      Now I think going beyond the I am feeling is something we cannot do now or we cannot comprehend it now.  The only thing that is feasible now is to stabilize ourselves in teh innermost feeling I am.

This is absolutely true. It is pure speculation. Even if it seems that this feeling too becomes an object of perception or witnessing. Same is with what You have said about nirvana.

When i think about it,almost all is a borowed knowledge. I was thinking how there could be no actual trancedence,or going beyond,coz the one who wants to go cannot,it is ego notion only,and the One who is our True Nature,is already there. But than i realised that is also what i heard from Maharaj and Bhagavan. And i feel,to realize,we need to empty ourselves of all this,and see it directly,in a way it is. When we feel it is an obstacle.
Somehow,i noticed that this kind of analize of Reality only slows me down,that i cannot have assumptions and the Truth in the same time. Only pure selfenquiry helps,in a way of analise of my behaviour,and sure,being that very presence. I only find it hard not to analize it whille meditating. Very annoying habbit.

And indeed,Maharaj is speaking about this very existence. We must exist in order to experience anything. What ever we do this Presence is there,in a crowded place,like You said,what ever we do. Whille eating,walking,talking,this presence is there,You are there.
There is one Maharaj's saying over which i pondered very long. I cannot remember exact words,but it was something like this:"When the knowledge and feeling merge..." He was talking about realisation. I find this very intruiging.
Anyway,i do not have a clue,i must see all this with my own eyes,so to say,and so far,only practice truly helps,or even an attempt even. It does not matter are we doing it right much,most important is that we are eager to do it,our sincere longing and thirst for Truth.
That is what i realised recently. If we truly,Truly want it,it is there,without any question whatsoever. The thing is,when i see how much is burried under surfice of the mind,i do not have a clue what i want. :D I know only what i must,coz it seems that is only right thing to do. It is simply pulling us toward Itself. Our True Nature,our Father,our Mother,our Beloved,our God Almighty!

With love and prayers,

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 07:51:38 PM »
Jewell

I read your reply but want to read again.  Thankyou, wonderful.

Meanwhile what you are saying is this much is it:

whatever we speak of within the I am consciosuness, even when it is about Nirvana or Absolute, it is still within I am . So only stabilize in the deeper most I am feeling -- am I right?

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 10:48:47 PM »
Dear Sri Krishna,

Well,this is what Maharaj is saying,to catch hold of this I am,to Be. Just simply watching Yourself,being Yourself,turning all Your attention and perception on I am,that conscious presence. I was searching some words of Him which describe well what He said,and i found these interesting words.

Do nothing, absolutely nothing! Just be, be the knowledge ?I am? only and abide there. To imbibe this meditate on beingness only. Catch hold of the knowledge ?I am? in meditation. In this process, the realization occurs that ?I? the Absolute am not the ?guna? ?I am?; therefore in meditation nothing is to be retained in memory. Nevertheless something will appear on the memory screen, but be unconcerned, just be, do nothing. Refrain from grasping anything in meditation; the moment you do, otherness begins, and so does duality. Nothing is to be done. Then all your riddles will be solved and dissolved. ?Moolmaya? ? that is, the primary illusion ? will release her stranglehold on you and will get lost.

I also saw You are reading Sri Saddhu Om. His explanation of selfenquiry is excellent too!

With love and prayers,

Vladimir

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 12:53:54 AM »
Namaste, everyone,

I'd like to say what was my misunderstanding of Nisargadatta Maharaj's teachings.
I used to think there were some objective 'Nisargadatta Maharaj's teachings' separate from myself which I should understand or experience as an individual.
It is not like this at all. The real Knowledge comes from inside only as your own knowledge. No difference between Guru and yourself. Any logic is broken. It's mystical process which is possible to pass through but impossible to explain.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 04:00:08 AM »
Namaste dear Vladimir,

Thank You Very much for sharing these beautiful words!

With love and prayers,