Author Topic: Nature of Maya as per Advaita Vedanta  (Read 2114 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
Nature of Maya as per Advaita Vedanta
« on: July 17, 2014, 02:31:19 PM »
Can someone start clearly stating the nature of this element Maya and how it conceals the underlying Reality Brahman.  We will confine ourselves to Maya description as per Advaita vedanta only, not by saints of other sampradayas.

The objective of this thread is to have this clear definition,  explanation of Maya in our mind always and when in real life the situation occurs we should immediately ignite the awareness of Maya.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Nature of Maya as per Advaita Vedanta
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:35:43 PM »
Dear Krishnan,

Maya in advaita is an illusion, it is nothing but our ego and thoughts that hide the Self.

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 06:47:12 PM »
ksksat(krishna),
Please refer this fine talk of Swami Vivekananda on Maya and Freedom:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Complete_Works_of_Swami_Vivekananda/Volume_2/Jnana-Yoga/Maya_and_Freedom
Namaskar.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 08:14:31 PM »
Dear sir,

Thankyou for your input.  But as earlier told, please help me with a lucid summary of your own view on the same. 

Also kindly help with other sources of Maya related advaitic reference as well.   Swamiji is very energetic and tough for me to follow .  I will definitely go through but just telling.

Regards,
Krishna

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 07:28:55 AM »
ksksat(krishna)
Did you read that article?Nothing can be simpler than that.
Please read the other talks of swamiji in that series for further reading.
All that Swamiji has said is summarized in this wonderful excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Man's inordinate attachment

"Once Hriday brought a bull-calf here. I saw, one day, that he had tied it with a rope in the garden, so that it might graze there. I asked him, 'Hriday, why do you tie the calf there every day?' 'Uncle,' he said, 'I am going to send this calf to our village. When it grows strong I shall yoke it to the plough.' As soon as I heard these words I was stunned to think: 'How inscrutable is the play of the divine maya! Kamarpukur and Sihore are so far away from Calcutta! This poor calf must go all that way. Then it will grow, and at length it will be yoked to the plough. This is indeed the world! This is indeed maya!' I fell down unconscious. Only after a long time did I regain consciousness."

Here is another wonderful excerpt from The Gospel:

"God laughs on two occasions. He laughs when two brothers divide land between them. They put a string across the land and say to each other, 'This side is mine, and that side is yours. God laughs and says to Himself, 'Why, this whole universe is Mine; and about a little clod they say, "This side is mine, and that side is yours"!'
"God laughs again when the physician says to the mother weeping bitterly because of her child's desperate illness: 'Don't be afraid, mother. I shall cure your child.' The physician does not know that no one can save the child if God wills that he should die."

To understand intellectually what Maya is,is one thing but to be sensitive to the State of affairs that Maya is, is totally another.The one who is sensitive is the Mumukshu,the seeker after Moksha or freedom.The one who is trying to find a definition of Maya is a Pundit.

The Reason why I just leave it at quoting is this-My understanding is okay for me but may not be sufficient for others.The words of the Great ones are something that will reach out to one and all provided they are sensitive and open to receive it..

As Sri Ramakrishna says:"What is there in mere scholarship? God can be attained by crying to Him with a longing heart. There is no need to know many things.
He who is an acharya has to know different things. One needs a sword and shield to kill others; but to kill oneself, a needle or a nail-knife suffices".

Namaskar.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 07:18:32 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 07:54:01 AM »
ksksat(krishna)

The objective of this thread is to have this clear definition,  explanation of Maya in our mind always and when in real life the situation occurs we should immediately ignite the awareness of Maya

The situation is occuring all the time,if we are sensitive enough to perceive it!To be ensconced in 'I' and 'mine' is Maya.If we are reading newspaper or watching what is called 'News'(it is mostly the sensational ,bad news),when things go wrong with people or for people,we sit in judgement over it or just pass it by saying 'too bad'.The moment the same thing happens to those close to us,we run helter skelter and rush to do something about it.This is Maya.

Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
"Maya is love for one's relatives-one's wife, children, brother, sister, nephew, father, and mother. But daya is the same love for all created beings without any
distinction."

Maya is the cause of ignorance
MASTER: "God has covered all with His maya. He doesn't let us know anything. Maya is 'woman and gold'. He who puts maya aside to see God, can see Him. Once, when I was explaining God's actions to someone, God suddenly showed me the lake at Kamarpukur. I saw a man removing the green scum and drinking the water. The water was clear as crystal. God revealed to me that Satchidananda is covered by the scum of maya. He who puts the green scum aside can drink the water.

Namaskar.