Author Topic: Sat 12 July 2014 Guru Purnima Day  (Read 4180 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Sat 12 July 2014 Guru Purnima Day
« on: July 11, 2014, 09:19:59 PM »
I am sharing on this thread the Guru Purnima Messages from Various acharyas / Spiritual Teachers

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:05:51 AM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Sat 12 July 2014 Guru Purnima Day
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 09:22:11 PM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 09:13:01 AM »
Accepting the realized sage as the Guru, serving Him and continually dwelling upon His guidance constitute the unfailing means to knowledge. - Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 09:43:01 AM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 10:04:10 AM »
Today is Guru Purnima.

The Full Moon Day in the month of Ashadha (July-August) is known as Guru Purnima. This sacred day marks the very first transmission of the yogic sciences from Shiva ? the Adiyogi or First Yogi ? to the Saptarishis, the seven celebrated sages. This momentous occasion took place on the banks of the lake Kantisarovar, which stands a few kilometers above the Kedarnath Temple in the Himalayas. Thus, the Adiyogi became the Adi Guru or the First Guru on this day. The Saptarishis carried this knowing offered by Adiyogi throughout the world. Even today, every spiritual process on the planet draws from the spine of knowing created by Adiyogi.

This day is also sacred to the memory of the great sage Vyasa. All Hindus are indebted to this ancient saint who edited the four Vedas, wrote the 18 Puranas, the Mahabharata and the Srimad Bhagavata. Vyasa even taught Dattatreya, who is regarded as the Guru of Gurus.

THE ROLE OF THE GURU
Swami Sivananda asks: "Do you realize now the sacred significance and the supreme importance of the Guru's role in the evolution of man? It was not without reason that the India of the past carefully tended and kept alive the lamp of Guru-Tattva. It is therefore not without reason that India, year after year, age after age, commemorates anew this ancient concept of the Guru, adores it and pays homage to it again and again, and thereby re-affirms its belief and allegiance to it. For, the true Indian knows that the Guru is the only guarantee for the individual to transcend the bondage of sorrow and death, and experience the Consciousness of the Reality."

SIGNIFICANCE OF GURU PURNIMA

On this day, all spiritual aspirants and devotees worship Vyasa in honor of his divine personage and all disciples perform a 'puja' of their respective spiritual preceptor or 'Gurudevs'.

This day is of deep significance to the farmers, for it heralds the setting in of the much-needed rains, as the advent of cool showers usher in fresh life in the fields. It is a good time to begin your spiritual lessons. Traditionally, spiritual seekers commence to intensify their spiritual 'sadhana' from this day.

The period 'Chaturmas' ("four months") begins from this day. In the past, wandering spiritual masters and their disciples used to settle down at a place to study and discourse on the Brahma Sutras composed by Vyasa, and engage themselves in Vedantic discussions.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 01:06:34 PM »
Readings on Guru?s Grace on Guru Purnima Day

The feet of the Guru, Sri Arunachala Ramana is (our) succor and support.

One day I wondered why I was visiting Him at all. What was the use? There seemed to be no inner advancement. Going up the hill was meaningless toil. I decided to end my visits on the hill. For one hundred days exactly I did not see Bhagavan. On the hundred and first day I could suffer no longer and ran to Skandasramam, above Virupaksha Cave. Bhagavan saw me climbing, got up and came forward to meet me. When I fell at his feet, I could not restrain myself and burst out in tears. I clung to them and would not get up. Bhagavan pulled me up and asked: ?It is over three months since I saw you. Where were you?? I told him how I thought that seeing him was of no use. ?All right,? he said, ?maybe it is of no use, so what? You felt the loss, did you not?? Then I understood that we did not go to him for profit, but because away from him there was no life for us.

Once I wrote two verses in Tamil, one in praise of the Lord without attributes the other of the Lord with numberless forms. In the latter I wrote: ?From whom grace is flowing over the sentient and insentient.? Bhagavan asked me to change one letter and this altered the meaning to: ?who directs his grace to the sentient and the insentient.? The idea was that grace was not a mere influence but could be directed with a purpose where it was needed most.

Bhagavan gave us a tangible demonstration of God?s omnipotence, omniscience and omnipresence. Our sense of ?I? would burn up in wonder and adoration on seeing his unconditional love for all beings. Though outwardly we seemed to remain very much the same person, inwardly he was working on us and destroying the deep roots of separateness and self-concern. A day always comes when the tree of ?I?, severed from its roots, crashes suddenly and is no more, this is Guru?s Grace!
What is the Guru?s Grace? Well, this is exactly the word that awakens us from this dream life of ours, to which we cling so hard until the tiger of death pounces on us and proves that it is ephemeral, unreal.

With one meaningful look the Master sees deep into the soul of the enquirer. And lo! What a trance of joy, what a blissful existence, and what a calm this is! The agitated soul is stilled, silent; he sits and sits and sits. Gazing at the Master before him the minutes and hours are hardly noticed gliding softly away. In this way days and months are condensed into a few moments of blissful life. The wanderer has found his harbour; he is all new life and light, so he swears, ?For eternity I shall not part from my Master, who is my All!?
A Tamil verse says: A bird drops seed upon a tree and causes its decay. So Guru?s grace radiates knowledge into the seeking mind. Replacing ego-shadows with resplendent Jnana?s light. Bhagavan has explained the meaning of this verse. The seed of the huge banyan tree, which grows to shelter hundreds, is one of the tiniest and represents unselfish benevolence. The seed of the palmyra which is so large, grows into a tree which can hardly shelter a single man from the sun, and so well represents the selfish ego. Yet this tiny seed can be dropped by a bird in its droppings, and while it grows it can demolish the palmyra tree itself. So the tiny seed of Grace can destroy the great tree of egoism.

The Guru says, ?Be still, and Know that I am God.? This knowing is the understanding of the absolute and relative values of Life.
Understanding what? It is the distinctive knowledge (the vijnana) of the eternal unchanging Truth of yourself. In the background of this eternal and unchanging Truth, the changeful and varying states of your doership move about and cloud your understanding of the Real Truth of your Being.

You are really free in yourself; the clouds do not really affect you. Yet you are also outwardly active, according to the latencies of the past karma in you, which work out according to the law of that karma. The potter has given up his hold on the wheel; yes, but the wheel still moves on owing to the momentum still left in it.
In the same way you move, and yet you are unaffected, no longer clinging to the action. You do; yet you feel you are no more the doer. You enjoy or suffer; yet you feel you are no more the one who suffers or enjoys. You are a mere witness of all things in your varying states: waking, dreaming and sleeping. You are you, or I am I, or the Self is the Self; and these states pass and re-pass. This is the state of real knowledge (jnana) or real devotion (bhakti). This is the message of the Gita. This is equally the message of our benign Guru, Sri Ramana Maharshi.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 02:00:06 PM »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 05:33:50 PM »
Dear atmavichar and others,

Today I witnessed Sri Sankara TV where they were showing Vyasa Puja done by Sringeri Acharya, Bharati Tirtha
Swamigal. I did not see the entire programme but only a part of it.   The elaborate Puja has been going on from
11 am to 3.00 pm. Swamigal did the puja and finally it was announced that He would do the Chatur Masya Vrata,
only in Sringeri this year.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 08:03:38 AM »

​வரும் சனிக்கிழமை (12.7.14) அன்று வியாச பூஜை / குரு பூர்ணிமா .
மஹா பெரியவா குரு மஹிமை பற்றி சொன்னதைக் கேட்போமா ?

​    ​
​                                                                           ஜய  ஜய  சங்கர
                                                                           ஹர ஹர சங்கர ​ ​
​                                                                                                       ​

​                                                                           http://www1.sulekha.com/mstore/aumsri/albums/BharathaMatha/Vyasa.jpg ​
​                                                                                 ​குரு பக்தி
​                                                                                    ​ ஈச்வரனைக் காட்டிலும், குரு பெரியவர்;
​  ​
​                                                                                         ​
​​
​​ஈசுவர பக்தியைக் காட்டிலும் குருபக்தி விசேஷம் என்கிறார்களே, ஏன்?​ ​என்று கேட்டால்: ஈசுவரனை யாரும் பார்க்கவில்லை.
பிரத்தியக்ஷமாக நாம் பார்க்ககடிய ஒரு மனிதர் எப்போதும் சுத்தமாய், ஞானம் உடையவராய், அசைவு இல்லாத சித்தம் உடையவராய், அப்பழுக்கு இல்லாமல் நமக்குக்
கிடைத்து விட்டால் நாம் எந்த மனச்சாந்திக்காக ஈசுவரனிடத்தில் போகிறோமோ அந்த சாந்தி இவரிடம் பக்தி செலுத்தினாலே கிடைத்து விடுகிறது. அதனால் தான்,
குருர் ப்ரஹ்மா குருர் விஷ்ணு:குருர் தேவோ மஹேச்வர:|
என்று சொல்லியிருக்கிறார்கள். இந்த ச்லோகத்தில் குருவுக்கும் பரமாத்மாவுக்கும் அபேதம் சொல்லியிருப்பது ஒரு விசேஷம். Incidental - ஆக இதிலேயே இன்னொரு விசேஷம்,
இதில் விஷ்ணு, சிவன் இருவரையும் சொல்லியிருப்பதால் இந்த ச்லோகத்தைச் சொல்லி நாம் குருவந்தனம் பண்ணினால் நமக்கு சிவ- விஷ்ணு அபேத பாவமும் உண்டாகி விடும்.
ஜகத்தை ஸ்ருஷ்டிப்பது, பரிபாலிப்பது போன்ற பல காரியங்கள் ஈசுவரனுக்கு இருக்கின்றன. அவை எல்லாம் குருவுக்கு இல்லை. அவனுக்கு ஆபீஸ் உண்டு;இவருக்கு ஆபீஸ் இல்லை.
ஆபீஸ் இருக்கிறவனிடம் போய்த் தொந்தரவு கொடுப்பதைவிட ஆபீஸ் இல்லாமல் சும்மா இருக்கிறவரிடம் நம் காரியத்தை மிக எளிதாக முடித்துக் கொண்டு விடலாம்.

ஈச்வரனுக்கு என்ன என்ன உத்தமமான குணங்கள் எல்லாம் இருக்கின்றனவோ அவை எல்லாம் இந்த குருவிடத்தில் இருக்கின்றன. இவர் சுத்தமானவர், பொய் சொல்லாதவர்;
வஞ்சனை தெரியாதவர்;இந்திரியங்களை எல்லாம் வென்றவர்;கருணை நிறைந்தவர்;மகா ஞானி. இவரைப் பிரத்யக்ஷமாக பார்க்கிறோம். பகவானையோ பிரத்யக்ஷத்தில் பார்க்க
முடியவில்லை. ஆகவே குருவின் திருவடிக் கரங்களைப் பற்றிக்கொண்டு பக்தி செய்ய ஆரம்பித்துவிட்டால், ஈசுவர பக்தியினால் நமக்கு என்ன அனுகூலங்கள் உண்டாகின்றனவோ
அத்தனையும் சுலபமாக உண்டாகிவிடும். அதனால் தான் குருபக்தி உயர்ந்தது என்ற சொன்னார்கள்.
ஆனால் தெய்வ பக்தியை மறக்கக்கூடாது. இந்த குருவை இவனோடு சேர்த்து வைப்பதே தெய்வந்தானே? தெய்வ அநுக்ரகம் இல்லாவிட்டால் இந்த குருவை இவன் எப்படி அடைவான்?

துர்லபம் த்ரயமேவைதத் தேவாநுக்ரஹ ஹேதுகம்| மநுஷ்யத்வம் முமுக்ஷ?த்வம் மஹாபுருஷஸம்ச்ரய:| ''

தெய்வாநுக்ரஹத்தாலேயே ஒருத்தனுக்குக் கிடைக்கிற மூன்று பெரிய வாய்ப்புகள்: ஒன்று, மநுஷ்ய ஜன்மா கிடைப்பது. இரண்டு, ஸத்ய தத்துவத்தைத் தெரிந்து கொள்ள வேண்டும்
என்ற ஆசை பிறப்பது; மூன்று, மஹா புருஷனான ஒரு குரு கிடைப்பது''என்று ஆசார்யாள் 'விவேக சூடாமணி' ஆரம்பத்தில் சொல்லியிருக்கிறார். எல்லோருக்கும் எக்காலத்திலும்
குரு ஈச்வரன்தான்: தக்ஷிணாமூர்த்தி தான். ஸ பூர்வேஷாமபி குரு:காலேநாநவச்சேதாத்|| நம் குருவுக்கும் அந்த குருவுடைய குருவுக்கும் அவருடைய குருவுக்கும் ஞானம் எப்படிப்
பூர்ணமாக ஏற்பட்டிருக்கும்?இப்படி ஒவ்வொருவருக்கும் ஒரு குருவைச் சொல்லிக்கொண்டே போனால் கடைசியில் ஒருத்தருக்கு ஸா
​க்ஷாத் ஈசுவரனேதான் குருவாக இருந்து
ஞானத்தை தந்திருக்க வேண்டும் என்று தெரியும். அதனால்தான் தெய்வத்தை மறக்கக் கூடாது என்றார்கள்.
​                                                                                     ​ http://rampuri.com/wp-content/uploads/Adi_Sankara_chelas.jpg
​                                                                                                      ​

இதையே வேறு விதமாகவும் சொல்வதுண்டு. குரு, ஈசுவரன் என்ற இரண்டு பேர் என்று வைத்துக் கொள்ளாமல் ஈசுவரனே குருவாக வந்திருக்கிறான் என்று வைத்துக் கொண்டு
விட்டோமானால் குரு பக்தி, ஈசுவர பக்தி என்ற இரண்டு தனித்தனியாகப் பண்​ணவேண்டாம். குருவே ஈசுவரன் என்று கருதி அந்த குருவான ஈசுவரன் ஒருத்தனிடத்திலேயே
பூர்​​ண சரணாகதி பண்ணிவிடலாம். குரு பரம சுத்தமானவராக, உத்தமமானவராக இல்லாவிட்டாலும்கூட, இவர் மூலமாக நாம் நித்திய சுத்தனும் உத்தமோத்தமனுமான ஈசுவரனையே
பக்தி பண்ணுவதால், அந்த ஈச்வரனே இவர் மூலமாக நமக்கு அநுக்கிரஹம் பண்ணிவிடுவான். இதனால் தான் குருவையே ப்ரம்மா, விஷ்ணு, சிவன், இந்த மூன்றுக்கும் ஆதாரமான
பரப்பிரம்மம் என்று எடுத்த எடுப்பில் சொல்லிக் கொடுக்கிறார்கள்.
குருர் ப்ரஹ்மா குருர் விஷ்ணு : குருர் தேவோ மஹேச்வர :|
குருஸ் ஸாக்ஷ?த் பரப்ரஹ்ம தஸ்மை ஸ்ரீகுரவே நம :||
பிரம்ம வித்யா ஆசார்யர்களில் முக்கியமான வியாஸரைப் பற்றிச் சொல்கிறபோது குருர் ப்ரம்மா சுலோகத்தின் தாத்பரியத்தையே இன்னும் ரஸமாகச் சொல்வதுண்டு.
​                                                                                                                   ​ http://vimokshananda.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/vyasa02.jpg

அசதுர்வதநோ ப்ரஹ்மா த்விபாஹ
​​ ​​ரபரோ ஹரி :| அபாலலோசந சம்பு : பகவாந் பாதராயண :||
​ என்பார்கள்.

பாதராயணர் என்று வியாஸருக்குப் பெயர். அவர் 'அசதுர்வதநோ ப்ரஹ்மா', அதாவது நான்கு முகம் இல்லாத ஒரு முக பிரம்மா; த்விபாஹ:அபரோ ஹரி:',நாலு கையில்லாமல்
இரண்டு கையுள்ள ஹரி, அதாவது விஷ்ணு, அபால லோசந:சம்பு:', நெற்றிக் கண் இல்லாத போதிலும் சிவன்! குருவைவிட சிரேஷ்டமானவர் இல்லை. நமக்கு அவரிடத்தில்
பூர்ணமான நம்பிக்கை ஏற்பட வேண்டும். அது நிஜமான நம்பிக்கையாக இருக்க வேண்டும். நமக்கு அவரிடத்தில் ஈசுவரனே இப்படி வந்திருக்கிறான் என்ற நம்பிக்கை வந்துவிட்டால்,
அப்புறம் தனியாக​ பக்தி கூட வேண்டாம். இந்த நம்பிக்கையே, அவரிடத்தில் நாம் வைக்கிற பக்தியே நம்மைக் கடைத்தேறச் செய்து விடும்.

வைஷ்ணவர்களுக்கு ஆசார்ய பக்திதான் மிகவும் பிரதானம். ஈசுவர அபராதம் பண்ணினால் ஈசுவரனிடத்திலேயே போய் மன்னிப்புக் கேட்க வேண்டுமென்பது இல்லை;ஆசார்யன்
மன்னித்து விட்டாலே போதும். ஈசுவரனுடைய கோபம் தணிந்து விடும். ஆனால் குருவினிடத்தில் அபசாரம் பண்ணிவிட்டு ஈசுவரனிடத்தில் போனாலும் ஒன்றும் நடக்காது.
குருவிடத்திலேயே போய்த்தான் அந்த அபசாரத்துக்கும் நிவிருத்தி தேடிக்கொள்ள வேண்டும் என்று ஸ்வாமியே சொல்லி விடுவார். சிஷ்யனுக்காக குருவே பரமாத்மாவிடம்
சிபாரிசு பண்ணினால் அவருக்குக் கோபம் போய் இவனுக்கு அநுக்கிரஹம் பண்ணிவிடுவார். ஆனால் குருவுக்கே கோபம் வந்து விட்டால் ரக்ஷிக்கிறவர் எவருமே இல்லை.
இப்படி ஒரு ச்லோகம் கூட இருக்கிறது.

அதனால்தான் குரு பக்தியை மிகவும் விசேஷமாக சாஸ்திரங்கள் சொல்கின்றன. உத்தமமான குரு கிடைக்கவில்லை என்றால், அ​ரைகுறையாக ஒரு குரு இருந்தாலும் அவரை
வழிகாட்டியாக வைத்துக்கொண்டு ஈசுவர பக்தி செய்ய வேண்டும். நாம் பக்தி செய்வதால் ஈசுவரனுக்கோ குருவுக்கோ ஒரு லாபமும் இல்லை. நமக்கேதான் பெரிய லாபம்,
என்ன லாபம் என்றால்,  நாம் அழுக்கு உடையவர்களாக இருக்கிறோம்;சஞ்சலம் உடையவர்களாக இருக்கிறோம். மனஸை ஒரு நிமிஷங்கூட ஒர் இடத்தில் நிறுத்த
முடியாதவர்களாக இருக்கிறோம். எப்போதும் சுத்தமாக, நிரம்பிய ஞானம் உடையவனாக, அசங்காமல், ஆடாமல், பட்ட கட்டை மாதிரியாக இருக்கிறவனை நாம் நினைத்தால்தான்,
நாம் நினைக்கிற அவனது நிச்சலமான நிலை நமக்கும் வரும். நாமே அவனாக ஆகிவிடுவோம். ஈசுவரனைத்தான் அப்படி நினைக்க வேண்டும் என்பது இல்லை. இப்படிப்பட்ட
குணங்கள் உடையதாக எதை எடுத்துக்கொண்டாலும், நம்மைப் போன்ற ஒரு மனிதரையே இவ்வளவு குணங்கள் உடையவராகக் கருதி அவரையே குருவாக நினைத்து பக்தி செய்தாலும்
நாம் அப்படியே ஆகிவிடுவோம். மனஸ் நின்றால்தான் ஆத்மா பிரகாசிக்கும்; அதாவது நமது நிஜமான ஆனந்த நிலை தெரியும். மனஸை நிறுத்துவதற்காகத்தான் குரு பக்தி வேண்டும்,
ஈசுவர பக்தி வேண்டும் என்று நம் சாஸ்திரங்கள் சொல்கின்றன.
குருவின் அநுக்கிரஹத்தில்தான் ஞானம் கிடைக்கும் என்ற விஷயம் சாந்தோக்ய உபநிஷத் சொல்லியிருக்கிறது. ஆசார்யவான் புருஷோ வேத - ஆசார்யனைப் பெற்ற புருஷன் தான்
ஞானத்தை அடைகிறான் - என்று அதில் இருக்கிறது. ஒரு சின்னக் கதை போல இதைச் சொல்லியிருக்கிறது.

கந்தார தேசத்தை ( இந்த நாள் காண்டஹார் என்பது அதுதான்) சேர்ந்த ஒருத்தனின் கண்ணைக் கட்டிக் கொண்டு போய் ஜனசஞ்சாரமில்லாத ஒரு இடத்தில் விட்டு விட்டால்
எப்படியிருக்கும்?அவன் எப்படித் தன் ஊருக்குத் திரும்புவான்?கிழக்கா, மேற்கா, தெற்கா, வடக்கா என்று தெரியாமல்தானே தவித்துக்கொண்டிருப்பான்? இந்த மாதிரிதான் மாயை நம்
கண்ணைக் கட்டி இந்த லோகத்தில் விட்டிருக்கிறது. அப்புறம் கண்ணைக் கட்டிக் காட்டில் விடப்பட்டவனிடம் ஒருவன் வருகிறான். கட்டை அவிழ்த்து விடுகிறான். கந்தார தேசத்துக்குப்
போகிற வழியையும் சொல்லிக்கொடுக்கிறான். அதற்கப்புறம் இவன் அழவில்லை. பயப்படவில்லை. அவன் சொன்ன மாதிரியே போய்த் தன் ஊரை அடைகிறான். இந்த மாதிரிதான்
ஆசார்யனின் உபதேசத்தால், நாம் எங்கேயிருந்து வந்தோமோ அந்தப் பரமாத்ம ஸ்தானத்துக்கு வழியைத் தெரிந்து கொண்டு அங்கே போய்ச் சேருகிறோம் என்று சாந்தோக்யம் சொல்கிறது.
​                                                                                 ​ http://honalu.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/shankara.jpg
ஜகத்குரு என்று பிரஸித்தி பெற்ற ஸ்ரீ சங்கர பகவத்பாதாள் எங்கு பார்த்தாலும் குருவின் பெருமையைச் சொல்கிறார். ''ஒருவனுக்கு எத்தனைதான் பெருமை இருந்தால் என்ன?
குருவின் சரணாரவிந்தங்களில் அவன் தன் மனஸைக் கட்டிப் போட்டிருக்காவிட்டால் என்ன பிரயோஜனம்?'என்று ஒரே ஒரு தரம் தரம் கேட்கவில்லை. நாலு தரம், '' தத:கிம்? தத:கிம்?
தத:கிம்? தத:கிம்?''என்று கேட்கிறார். ''குர்வஷ்டகம்'' (அதாவது குரு ஸ்துதியான எட்டு ச்லோகங்கள்) என்ற ஸ்தோத்தரத்தில், ஒவ்வொரு அடி முடிவிலும் இப்படி நான்கு தரம், மொத்தம்
முப்பத்திரண்டு தடவை கேட்கிறார். முடிவில், தம் சரீரத்தைவிட்டு அவர் புறப்படுவதற்கு முந்திப் பண்ணின உபதேசத்திலும்,
ஸத் வித்வான் உபஸ்ருப்யதாம் ப்ரதிதினம் தத்பாதுகா ஸேவ்யதாம் ப்ரஹ்மைகாக்ஷரம் அர்த்யதாம் ச்ருதிசிரோவாக்யம் ஸமாகர்ணயதாம் என்கிறார்.

''ஸத்தான வித்வானை ஆசார்யனாக வரிப்பாயாக! தின்தோறும் அவருக்குப் பாத பூஜை பண்ணுவாயாக!அவரிடமிருந்து உபதேசம், பிரணவ உபதேசம், உபநிஷத மஹாவாக்ய உபதேசம்
எல்லாம் வாஙகிக் கொள்வாயாக!'' என்கிறார். (''ப்ரதி தினம் தத்பாதுகா ஸேவ்யதாம்''என்று சொன்ன பகவத் பாதாளின் பாதுகைக்கு, இன்றைக்கும், ஒரு நாள் விடாமல் பிரதி தினமும்
மடத்தில் பாத பூஜை நடந்து கொண்டிருக்கிறது!) இங்கே சொன்னது ஸந்நியாஸம் தருகிற ஸந்நியாஸ குருவைப் பற்றி ஆகும். அந்த ஆசிரமத்தில்தான் பிரணவோபாஸனை, மஹாவாக்ய
அநுஸந்தானம் இவற்றின் மூலம் மோக்ஷத்தைத் தேடுவது. இது நாலு ஆச்ரமங்களில் கடைசி. முதலில் பிரம்மச்சரிய ஆச்ரமத்தில் ஒரு கிருஹஸ்த குருவை அடைந்து வேதாத்யயனமும்,
வேதகர்மாநுஷ்டானமும் பண்ணுவதிலிருந்து ஆரம்பித்து, கடைசியில் இந்த ஸந்நியாஸ நிலைக்கு வருமாறு ஆசார்யாள் உபதேசித்திருக்கிறார்.

முதலில் வேத கர்மா எதற்கு?
​ மனம் அடங்கி ​ பரமசாந்தமாக இருந்து கொண்டு கேட்டால்தான் குருமூலமாகப் பெறுகிற பிரணவமும் மஹாவாக்யமும் பரம புருஷார்த்தமான மோக்ஷத்தைக்
கொடுக்கும். மனம் ஒருமைப்பாட்டுகேட்காவிட்டால் பிரயோஜனம் இராது. உழுத இடத்தில் ஊன்றினால் தான் விதை பிரயோஜனப்படும். நாம் எவ்வளவோ உபந்நியாஸம் கேட்கிறோம்;
கீதை முதலானதுகளை நிறைய வாசிக்கிறோம். ஆனாலும் நமக்கு ஏன் துக்கம் போக வில்லை? ஞானம் உண்டாகவில்லை?நாம் சித்த சுத்தி பண்ணிக்கொள்ளாமலே கேட்பதாலும்
படிப்பதாலும்தான் அது நிரந்தரமாக நின்று பலன் தருவதில்லை. ''வைதிக கர்மாக்களை நிறையப் பண்ணி ஈச்வரார்ப்பணம் செய். பலனை எதிர்பார்க்காமல், அதை பகவத் ஆராதனமாக
நினைத்துக் கொள்''என்று ஆசார்யாள் இந்த உபதேசத்தின் ஆரம்பத்தில் சொன்னது, சித்த சுத்தியை, மனஸை உழுதாக வேண்டும். அது முதல் காரியம். அப்புறம் ஜலம் பாய்ச்ச வேண்டுமல்லவா?

அதுதான் பக்தி. நம் ஹ்ருதயத்தில் ஜலம் பாய்ச்சுவது பக்திதான்.ஈச்வரனிடமும், ஆசார்யனிடமும் பக்தி செலுத்த வேண்டும். குரு பக்தி இருந்தால் மனது தானாக சாந்தத்தை அடைகிறது.
பெரியவர்களுக்கு, மஹான்களுக்கு முன் ஒன்றை வாசித்தாலும் கேட்டாலும் அல்லது அவர்களே ஒன்றைச் சொன்னாலும், அது நன்றாகப் பதிகிறது. ஏனென்றால் அவர்கள் ஸந்நிதானத்தில்
நம் மனஸ் ஒரு விதமான சாந்தத்தோடு இருக்கிறது. கிளப்பலும், லைப்ரரியிலும் இப்படி இருக்கவில்லை. அதனால்தான் அங்கெல்லாம் படிப்பதும், கேட்பதும் நிற்காமல் ஒடிப்போய்விடுகிறது.
மனஸ் குரு பக்தியில் நனைத்தால் உடனே பலன் உண்டாகும். அதனால்தான் மஹான்களாக இருக்கிறவர்களிடமும் உபதேசம் கேட்க வேண்டும், எதையும் குருமுகமாக கற்க வேண்டும் என்பது.
நாம் எவ்வளவோ படித்திருக்கிறோம். ஆனாலும் நமக்குள்ள அஞ்ஞான தடிப்பு கொஞ்சம் கூட குறையவில்லை. அது எந்த இடத்தில் குறையுமோ அங்கே போய்ச் சேர்ந்தால் அஞ்ஞானத்த

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 09:41:27 AM »
Kanchi Mahaswami  on Acharya and Guru

The word 'Guru' means heavy or big. We prefix the word Guru to someone's name, who is great and respectable. In Tamil, we refer to people of respectability, as 'Ganavaan' or 'Mahaganam'. May be that the word, 'Magnum' is derived from 'Mahaganam'! Similarly, Brhmam, Mahan or Mahatma also means something big. What is this big about? Is it the size or weight? Big in what?
 You people refer to me also as, Periyaval and Guru. You cannot be thinking of me as big in height, weight and size. The reference is mainly to experience, knowledge, refinement and grace. In my case however, whether I have any of these qualities or not, that I am called Jagat Guru Sankaracharya, carrying the name of Adi Sankara Bhagawat Paaadaal, is good enough qualification.
 An Acharya has to be inherently very well endowed with admirable qualities of kindness, compassion, love, humaneness and knowledge refined constantly by experience. Very learned, he has to have high moral standards and instructional ability. His character should be one of truly impeccable behaviour with very sincere and faultless attitude. He should be someone who practices what he preaches. He should be such a role model, capable of influencing and motivating others to emulate him, despite the apparent hurdles. He should be a charismatic leader able to evoke the best in the student.
In the case of a Guru, there is no qualification required of Him. He may or may not be well read. He need not be an expert, erudite scholar. He need not be an authority in the Saastraa-s. He may not adhere to any Sampradaaya. He does not have to practice and or preach. He does not have to be a role model to be emulated! Let alone preach, he does not have to open his mouth even! There have been 'Mouna Guru-s' who remained silent forever.
That person wholly immersed in himself may be seated in some odd corner of the world, all by himself, uncaring for his self and the world. But there will be someone who will come around the corner and recognize the greatness in this person and accept him as his Guru. He does not have to impart any 'Upadesa' or Instructions. He may not have even thought of the person who has come to him as a 'Sishya'. But the purpose for which the one who arrived later is fulfilled. By word of mouth the Guru's name and fame spreads!
There have been many a Guru, who had no formal education whatsoever. They never taught anything to anybody. The earliest known Guru is Dakshinamurthi whose medium of instruction was silence! Not bounden by any rules and regulations of Society or Saastra-s, their have been Guru-s who used to roam around like a mad, ghost like specter of no known caste or creed or origin! They eight directions of space was their clothing. They used to be known as 'digambara swamiyar'. Dattatreya was one such Avadoota Guru, held in very high esteem!
Acharya on the other hand is a very systematic person. He has to be the representative of some traditional Sampradaya. He should be well read and knowledgeable about all the principles and concepts of that tradition. He should have learnt all the books of that Sampradaya systematically. That he should be teaching very methodically to his students. Above all he should be a living example of what he teaches.
That does not mean however that a Guru is necessarily a unsystematic person. It only means that he is not an easily understandable person. He is under no compulsion that he should be within definable parameters of behaviour. He is a man of inner maturity. He has risen above character, conduct and such recognizable qualifications. Will you think of yourself capable of assessing God's conduct against any standards? Similarly once someone is accepted as the Guru, you do not assess Him or Her anymore! They are through to the ultimate, in direct communication with the Parabrhmam / Bhagwan with no sense of differentiation. From a person with a mind of his own, they would have evolved through a state of mind that has subsided, to no-mind! That is 'Mano-laya' to 'Mano Naasa'.
Those who are like this inwardly, may have been outwardly shining with much erudition and Saastra Gnaana, teaching their students, living by and practicing what they preach. Adi Sankara Bhagawat Paadaal, Srimad Ramanujacharyar and Madhvacharyar; have been such Guru and Acharyal rolled in to one!

continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 09:46:04 AM »
Kanchi Mahaswami  on Acharya and Guru continued....

I was telling you as to how, many of the Acharya-s were also Guru-s, while all the Guru-s were not necessarily Acharya-s. Though they may not have thought of teaching systematically, all the Guru-s would have had some blessed thought towards the Sishya, which was good enough to do the needful. Even if the Guru had reached the state of 'Mano Nigraha' and so would not have had even a thought of blessing the Sishya, God would have done the needful through that Guru and that is 'Anugraha'.
 So, Guru may not have aspired to become anybody's tutor or behave like one. But when a Student comes to him on his own, starts treating him as one, god's blessings starts flowing through him and the student gets enlightened. This is when yet another meaning of the word Guru, gets validated. What is that other meaning? 'Gu' means darkness, 'Ru' means to route out. So, Guru means the one who removes darkness or in other words, the one who enlightens.
The literal meaning of the word 'Deva' in Sanskrit, (deity in English), is 'effulgent being'. Removal of darkness is something that just happens when there is light. The darkness we are talking about is agnosticism or agnaana; as against gnosis or gnaana which is brilliance. Upanishad says, "tamaso maa jyotir gamaya" meaning, 'take me from darkness unto light'. Tamas is agnaana that is, darkness. Jyoti is gnaana that is light. Let it be any subject. When you do not know it, you are in darkness about it. When the teacher or instructor or Guru makes you aware of that, you are enlightened! If all other teachers and instructors and tutors make you aware of many aspects of knowledge; Guru gives you 'Atma Gnaana' and takes you from darkness unto light! While all other teachings are about various things of the world, this 'Atma Gnaana' is about your self. Not knowing about oneself, we go through much avoidable tribulations. Once you know this, there is nothing else required to be known anymore! Guru gives that knowledge.
The interesting point about this arrangement is that, even if this Guru is not qualified in the Saastraa-s, even if he is not in the habit of tutoring anybody, the very act of a sincere approach from the student causes the flow of 'Anugraha' from the Guru! It is like some flow of unseen grace, which erases the Sishya-s agnaana and suddenly he will know the answers to all questions, even in subjects he never knew existed!
When the Guru is defined as the one who removes all ignorance, his inner greatness now functions and becomes apparent. He used to be a lone individual. Now he is related to another by the act of removal of agnaana! Either by word of mouth or by being a living example, or by the apparent flow of 'Anugraha' either intended or by God's blessing; somehow, he is instrumental in the removal of the Sishya's ignorance! That is all!
When this action or work gets done, in the student by the Guru, there has to be a connection or link created. It could be a pipe line or wire or wireless! For the electricity to flow in to the bulb and light it, there has to be a connecting wire. For the water supply from the Red Hills to flow in to your house-holds, there has to be a pipe-line. Between the transmitter and receiver, there has to be at least a radio link! This link known as 'Upadesam' is a communication or media, whether gross or subtle.

continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 09:55:56 AM »

Initially I told you that, by word of mouth or as a living example, the one with the duty to give ?Upadesam? is the Acharya. Now I said that the link between the Guru and Sishya is also 'Upadesam'. Thus all teaching between the teacher and the taught is 'Upadesam'. Generally mostly, Guru's blessings as Anugraha flows to the Sishya, through this link of Upadesa and that too a 'Mantropadesa'! This we read in stories and see in actual life too. Often many Sishya-s go to a Mahatma and wait around hoping for a 'Mantra Upadesa' from him by hook or crook. They expect a complete change in direction, in their own life to occur after that!
That phrase 'by hook or crook', reminds me of a story. Kabirdas wished to become a Sishya of Swami Ramanand and get 'Sri Rama Mantra' from him. Kabir was a Hindu by birth. But he did not know that. He had been brought up by a Muslim, as a Muslim hand-loom worker. When he grew up however, he had grown into such wisdom, beyond the confines of religious parameters. He wanted to be given 'Upadesa' by Ramanand Swami. He was afraid that Ramanand Swami may never accept him, a Muslim as a Sishya and give him 'Upadesa'! So he thought of a brilliant idea.
He observed Ramanand Swami's routine for some time. He noted the fact that, Ramanand swami goes to the Ganges river everyday at about four in the morning. This time is known as 'Brhma Muhurtam'. Kabir went and lied in the steps going down to the river, in the very path taken normally by Ramanad Swami. As per his custom, Ramanand Swami came down the steps and happened to step on the prostrate Kabir. He immediately realised that he had stepped on somebody. He was shocked to blurt out 'Rama, Rama'. Kabir took this, being touched by Swami Ramanand's feet as 'Paada Deeksha' and his blurting out, 'Rama, Rama', as 'Mantropadesa'. I will talk about this, 'Deeksha', namely 'Nayana Deeksha and Sparsa Deeksha', later.
The moral of the story is that, there has to be a Guru for spiritual progress, which is the only progress from 'darkness unto light'! All other worldly progressions are in reality, only regressions! The 'Mantropadesa' thus is the living link between Guru and Sishya. This Mantropadesa in Tamil is known as, 'Vaarthai(word) or Thiruvaarthai(Holy word) or in poems, Oru Vaarthai!', 'The Word'! No other words are needed to complete the Mantropadesa.
Thayumaanavar, got this mantra from his Guru, 'summaa iru', meaning, 'keep quiet'! That was all the Mantra he got! He says, 'moorti talam teertam todanginaarku, ore vaartai sola sarguruvum vaaikkum paraaparame',meaning, 'for those who start in a humble way with visiting God's statues in the temples; or visit to Punya Kshetraa-s; or sacred rivers / water sources; a word is enough as mantropadesa from a Satguru'!
So, Guru is the one who gives Mantropadesam. This inner greatness of the Guru gets revealed to the world only when thus related to a Sishya, through Mantropadesa. Once that is done, Guru?s job is over. He does not have to keep on persevering with explanations of the subtle meaning and implications of the mantra and or the practice to be done by the recipient of the mantra! This long term training is the responsibility of the Acharya. Guru may just walk away from the situation totally unconcerned, having blurted out the mantra! Pronto! The link is established for ever, never to be broken. With inexorable logic, the power of Anugraha through the Mantra or the power of Mantra through the Anugraha, starts working.
If the Guru is far advanced or the Sishya is far matured, even this ?word of mouth? Mantropadesa may not be needed. Some how the link has to be established. May be a ?touch? will do the trick. May be a look is enough. May be just a kind thought ?let this child be blessed?, will do most sufficiently!

continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 10:05:04 AM »

I have been telling you that this link that is established between Guru and Sishya, is Upadesam. The technical term used for this in the Saastraa-s is 'Deekshai'. In Tamil this is 'Deekkai'. They call it 'Initiation' in English. What originates from the Guru, enters the Sishya and motivates and directs him in a new path, is Deekshai. If the student is just launched in a new path, it could be called Initiation. But what not only initiates but helpfully accompanies throughout the path and takes you to the destination; is the power of Deekshai.
As Mantropadesa or as a look of 'Nayana/Kataksha Deeksha' or a physical touch as 'Sparsa Deeksha' or just a thought of blessing as 'Smarana Deeksha'; once the Guru links up with a person, that becomes a permanent connection! Like once a switch is on the light keeps on being lighted, there is continuous supply of power. In books such as, 'Kaivalya Navaneetam', these Sparsa/Kataksha/Smarana Deeksha are called the Hasta / Nayana / Manasa Deeksha-s respectively.
Acharya has to physically keep in constant touch for long periods with the Sishya and train him in education and behaviour. Guru needs to have this physical contact only for a fraction of time. But this subtle link that is established between him and the Sishya becomes life-long or even goes beyond life cycles, till the Sishya attains to Totality, i.e., Completeness, i.e., Poornatvam!
To give this Deekshai is the most important defining characteristic of the Guru. By tradition this called, 'Guru Deekshai'. So, the one who gives Deeksha is the Guru. If you look into the Purana-s, Itihasa-s and literatures, you will find that the father of the child is called the Guru. Whether he has any inherent worth or not, as far as the son is concerned, father is equivalent to God, is it not so? While in the Upanishad a Guru is telling a Sishya, "matru devo bhava, pitru devo bhava, acharya devo bhava, atiti devo bhava", Thiruvalluvar is telling us all, "annaiyum pitavum munnari deivam". That is, the Upanishad is saying, 'mother, father, acharya and guest are to be revered as God', while Thiruvalluvar is saying, 'mother and father are the earliest known Gods!'
Similarly, the teacher in the school who imparts knowledge of the written word, is God says, 'ezhuttu arivittavan iraivan'! There is another reason as to why the father is as good as a Guru. What is the most important Mantra Upadesa? It is Gayatri only. The one who gives that mantra is the father in 'Mantropadesam' during Upanayanam. Even in the case of those not entitled to the Gayatri Mantra, all Hindus do something known as Aksharabyasam, in which the Father starts off the son or daughter, with a Panchatchara of '1NA 2MA (H) 3SI 4VA 5YA' or Ashtakshara of '1OM 2NA 3MO 4NA 5RA 6YA 7NA 8YA'! By this Mantropadesa too, he becomes the Guru.
Once you have surrendered to Father or any teacher, (who may or may not be having the inner weight of Gnaana and Anubhava), the very fact of your Surrender (or what is known as Saranagati), entitles you to your ennoblement and Realization! The very God who causes the Anugraha through the able Guru, does the same through a worthless man who has been raised to the high pinnacle of Guru-dom as long as the surrender is complete, as long as the Sishya does not  find any fault with the Guru, whether the Guru attains to the exalted status or not, the Sishya attains!
Such devotion to the Guru, reminds me of an incident. Once I happened to ask two boys of the Veda adhyayana class in the Matam, if their teacher has arrived. One boy answered in the affirmative and the other said no. In truth the teacher had not arrived. So I asked the first boy as to why did he lie as bluffing is sinful? He answered that despite the teacher's absence, to talk ill of the Teacher was the greater sin! "So I thought it is better not to tell the truth!", he said. I tend to agree with him. Our sincerity in surrender to the Guru, enables us to get whatever our due, as God's blessing.
Coming back to what you get from a well qualified and capable Guru. The Deekshai by word of mouth is ?Mantropadesam?. By a look is ?Chatchu / Kataksha / Nayana Deekshai? and by touch is ?Sparsa / Hasta deekshai?! There are many variations in this. When the Guru touches the head of the Sishya by his hands and transfers his spiritual energy unto the Sishya, is known as ?hasta mastaka deekshai?. When the Guru touches the student with his feet it is ?paada deekshai?. Kabir got both ?paada deekshai and mantra deekshai? from Ramanand Swami. This is what is called as ?thiruvadi deekkai? in Tamil.
 Sishya should think of Guru?s feet as on his head and meditate. Instead of such being the case just in words and imagination, those who experienced the lotus feet of the Guru of all Guru-s, God?s resting on ones head all of the time are those who are referred to as,'adiyar' or 'paadar' or 'sri charanar' or 'bhagawat padaal' and such epithets in various languages. At the highest level of maturity, Adi Sankara Bhagawat Paadal, wearing the lotus feet of God on his head, became that itself. It is him that we should wear on our heads. Such a Guru does not have to do Upadesa, or touch or look. His one thought will lift us to high heavens, whether he thinks of us or we think of him!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:10:40 AM by Ravi.N »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 01:31:34 PM »
16 November 1936

Talks 286

------------------------

D.: It is said that the Guru can make his disciple realise the Self by transmitting some of his own power to him? Is it true?

M.: Yes. The Guru does not bring about Self-Realisation. He simply removes the obstacles to it. The Self is always realised.

D.: Is there absolute necessity of a Guru for Self-Realisation?

M.: So long as you seek Self-Realisation the Guru is necessary.

Guru is the Self. Take Guru to be the Real Self and your self as the individual self. The disappearance of this sense of duality is removal of ignorance. So long as duality persists in you the Guru is necessary. Because you identify yourself with the body you think the Guru, too, to be some body. You are not the body, nor is the Guru. You are the Self and so is the Guru. This knowledge is gained by what you call Self-Realisation.

D.: How can one know whether a particular individual is competent to be a Guru?

M.: By the peace of mind found in his presence and by the sense of respect you feel for him.

D.: If the Guru happens to turn out incompetent, what will be the fate of the disciple who has implicit faith in him?

M.: Each one according to his merits.

--
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:41:11 PM by atmavichar100 »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 04:07:10 PM »
Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

The members of the Brahmo Samaj are opposed to the traditional guru system of orthodox Hinduism. Therefore the Brahmo devotee asked the Master about it.

The need of a guru

BRAHMO: "Is spiritual knowledge impossible without a guru?"
MASTER: "Satchidananda alone is the Guru. If a man in the form of a guru awakens spiritual consciousness in you, then know for certain that it is God the Absolute who has assumed that human form for your sake. The guru is like a companion who leads you by the hand. After the realization of God, one loses the distinction between the guru and the disciple. 'That creates a very difficult situation; there the guru and the disciple do not see each other.' It was for this reason that Janaka said to Sukadeva, 'Give me first my teacher's fee if you want me to initiate you into the Knowledge of Brahman.' For the distinction between the teacher and the disciple ceases to exist after the disciple attains to Brahman.The relationship between them remains as long as the disciple does not see God."