Author Topic: somone clarify difference between sukha, suta and sanatkumars in detail  (Read 4963 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
dear devotees

With letter S there are three groups of sages who were in the same level as our Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi in ancient times.

S for Sukhadeva -- son of Vyasa muni who wrote Mahabharatham. This Sukhadeva is parrot faced sage.  I could understand it clearly.

S for 4 sages Sanatkumars --  need full names and their background (created from mind of Brahma?)

and finally S for Suta --  named after Suta Samhita?  who is this sage?  who were his parents? how he got liberated? what are his teachings? can someone clarify.?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Krishnan,

All of them were self realized Rishis.  Most of the compositions in Sanskrit and Tamizh begin as they are told by Sukha and
Suta.  Sukha was a great Brahma Rishi, who was roaming naked.  When once he called out, 'O Brahman! O Brahman!,' every
tree in the forest seemed to answer: 'Did you call me, Sukna? Did you call me Sukha?'' 

Sanakaathi Rishis listened to Sri Dakshinamurti's silent Upadesa and attained Brahma Jnana.

Arunachala Siva.         

ksksat27

• View Profile
Dear Krishnan,

All of them were self realized Rishis.  Most of the compositions in Sanskrit and Tamizh begin as they are told by Sukha and
Suta.  Sukha was a great Brahma Rishi, who was roaming naked.  When once he called out, 'O Brahman! O Brahman!,' every
tree in the forest seemed to answer: 'Did you call me, Sukna? Did you call me Sukha?'' 

Sanakaathi Rishis listened to Sri Dakshinamurti's silent Upadesa and attained Brahma Jnana.

Arunachala Siva.       

sir

thanks, but you have not replied my main question:  Who is Suta rishi?  Sukha and Suta are different rishish who lived? please help to throw light.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Krishnan,

Suka and Suta are different.  It is Sukha who described the story of Krishna to Parikshit when he was about to die
in 7 days.  That is why the name Bhagavatan Saptakam came. 

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Dear Sri Krishna,

Sri Sukadeva Goswami,known as Suka,is the first spiritual master who explained and narated Srimad Bhagavatam to Maharaja Parikchit. He is a son of Vyasadeva(who initiated by Narada Muni wrote down the Bhagavatam).

Sri Suta Goswami is a Sage who before the Sages who gathered in the Naimisharanya forest,headed by Sage Saunaka,explained and narated the talk betwean Maharaja Parikchit and Sukadeva.
He is a son of Romaharshana,a pupil of Vyasadeva. Suta took over the Vedic responsability for the purana.

Four Kumaras are Great Sages and devotees of the Lord. The four ascetic sons of Lord Brahma. They remained their child form(looking like five years old),Brahmacaris who are leading to the four principles of knowledge:analysis,austerity and penance,detachment and yoga.
Their names are Sanaka,Sanatana,Sanandana and Sanat-kumara.

This description is mostly from Srimad Bhagavatam. And i wrote an explanation of All of Them,regardless You already know about Sri Suka,and Sri Subramanian Sir already explained it.

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:42:34 AM by Jewell »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Jewell
Thanks very much for elucidating it so clearly.I will post this excerpt from the introduction to Srimad Bhagavatham(ISKCON):

The timeless wisdom of India is expressed in the Vedas, ancient Sanskrit texts that touch upon all fields of human knowledge. Originally preserved through oral tradition, the Vedas were first put into writing five thousand years ago by Srila Vyasadeva, the "literary incarnation of God." After compiling the Vedas, Vyasadeva set forth their essence in the aphorisms known as Vedanta-sutras. Srimad-Bhagavatam (Bhagavata Purana) is Vyasadeva's commentary on his own Vedanta-sutras. It was written in the maturity of his spiritual life under the direction of Narada Muni, his spiritual master. Referred to as "the ripened fruit of the tree of Vedic literature," Srimad-Bhagavatam is the most complete and authoritative exposition of Vedic knowledge.

After compiling the Bhagavatam, Vyasa imparted the synopsis of it to his son, the sage Sukadeva Gosvami. Sukadeva Gosvami subsequently recited the entire Bhagavatam to Maharaja Pariksit in an assembly of learned saints on the bank of the Ganges at Hastinapura (now Delhi). Maharaja Pariksit was the emperor of the world and was a great rajarsi (saintly king). Having received a warning that he would die within a week, he renounced his entire kingdom and retired to the bank of the Ganges to fast until death and receive spiritual enlightenment. The Bhagavatam begins with Emperor Pariksit's sober inquiry to Sukadeva Gosvami: "You are the spiritual master of great saints and devotees. I am therefore begging you to show the way of perfection for all persons, and especially for one who is about to die. Please let me know what a man should hear, chant, remember and worship, and also what he should not do. Please explain all this to me."

Sukadeva Gosvami's answer to this question, and numerous other questions posed by Maharaja Pariksit, concerning everything from the nature of the self to the origin of the universe, held the assembled sages in rapt attention continuously for the seven days leading up to the king's death. The sage Suta Gosvami, who was present in that assembly when Sukadeva Gosvami first recited Srimad-Bhagavatam, later repeated the Bhagavatam before a gathering of sages in the forest of Naimisaranya. Those sages, concerned about the spiritual welfare of the people in general, had gathered to perform a long, continuous chain of sacrifices to counteract the degrading influence of the incipient age of Kali. In response to the sages' request that he speak the essence of Vedic wisdom, Suta Gosvami repeated from memory the entire eighteen thousand verses of Srimad-Bhagavatam, as spoken by Sukadeva Gosvami to Maharaja Pariksit.

The reader to Srimad-Bhagavatam hears Suta Gosvami relate the questions of Maharaja Pariksit and the answers of Sukadeva Gosvami. Also, Suta Gosvami sometimes responds directly to the questions put by Saunaka Rsi, the spokesman for the sages gathered at Naimisaranya. One therefore simultaneously hears two dialogues: one between Maharaja Pariksit and Sukadeva Gosvami on the bank of the Ganges, and another at Naimisaranya between Suta Gosvami and the sages at Naimisaranya forest, headed by Saunaka Rsi. Furthermore, while instructing King Pariksit, Sukadeva Gosvami often related historical episodes and gives accounts of lengthy philosophical discussions between such great souls as Narada Muni and Vaasudeva. With the understanding of the history of the Bhagavatam, the reader will easily be able to follow its intermingling of dialogues and events from various sources. Since philosophical wisdom, not chronological order, is most important in the text, one need only be attentive to the subject matter of Srimad-Bhagavatam to appreciate fully its profound message.[/i]

The translators of this edition compare the Bhagavatam to sugar candy - wherever you taste it, you will find it equally sweet and relishable. Therefore, to taste the sweetness of the Bhagavatam, one may begin by reading any of its volumes. After such an introductory taste, however, the serious reader is best advised to go back to the First Canto and then proceed through the Bhagavatam, canto after canto, in its natural order.

Graham, is an ardent lover of Srimad Bhagavatham and indeed this is one Great source of Wisdom.You may read his comments in this forum.
Sri Ramakrishna used to refer to Srimad Bhagavatham as a 'Sweet' fried in the butter of Knowledge and steeped in the honey of Love.So it is!
Namaskar.

ksksat27

• View Profile
Dear Sri Krishna,

Sri Sukadeva Goswami,known as Suka,is the first spiritual master who explained and narated Srimad Bhagavatam to Maharaja Parikchit. He is a son of Vyasadeva(who initiated by Narada Muni wrote down the Bhagavatam).

Sri Suta Goswami is a Sage who before the Sages who gathered in the Naimisharanya forest,headed by Sage Saunaka,explained and narated the talk betwean Maharaja Parikchit and Sukadeva.
He is a son of Romaharshana,a pupil of Vyasadeva. Suta took over the Vedic responsability for the purana.

Four Kumaras are Great Sages and devotees of the Lord. The four ascetic sons of Lord Brahma. They remained their child form(looking like five years old),Brahmacaris who are leading to the four principles of knowledge:analysis,austerity and penance,detachment and yoga.
Their names are Sanaka,Sanatana,Sanandana and Sanat-kumara.

This description is mostly from Srimad Bhagavatam. And i wrote an explanation of All of Them,regardless You already know about Sri Suka,and Sri Subramanian Sir already explained it.

With love and prayers,

Dear Jewell

thanks for your detailed answer.

On a lighter note the Goswami and other titles are typical of hare krishna movement. any chance you joined that? or merely quoting them? even your icon seems to be changed to theirs?

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:47:31 PM by ksksat27 »

Jewell

• View Profile
Dear Sri Ravi,

This is one beautiful explanation of Srimad Bhagavatam! One of the reason i started to read it is indeed Sri Graham's recomendation,and Sri Nagaraj's post on Bhakti Devi in Bhagavatam thread. So one true and enormous Gratitude to both of them!!! If ever can be expressed in words...

And after reading few chapters,i remorsed i did not started to read it before. I am absolutely charmed and amazed with this more than Wonderful book. Deeply in love with it. I did not read the Puranas before,and it is giving me such a detailed explanation of all the wisdom,paths and Divine characters and Sages,i never knew before. I agree that it is such a treasure! Never i came before on a book where i can find such a great guidance like Srimad Bhagavatam.
It is absolutely amazing that when reading it,every day it gives a guidance for particular state i am in that very moment. It is truly Lord Himself! Wonderful and beyond words. I could not imagine to be without it.

Thank You so much for these coments,dear Sri Ravi Sir! It is so,so very true!

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:53:47 PM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
Dear Sri Krishna,

No i did not joined any of these movements,or any other. ;D All respect to all of them,but i prefer to stay on my own in these matters.
I was unaware that this icon is their too. I chosed it coz Lord Sri Krishna is so beautiful on it.
And explanation of Great Sages You mentioned i found on srimadbhagavatam.org site where i read it currently. Until i buy S.S. Cohen's version,Sri Graham recomended. And i am satisfied with their version,since it is easy for navigation,interpretation free option and i like translation too. I am not aware whos site this is,and since it came somehow by itself to me and i like it,i never bothered about it.

With love and prayers,