Author Topic: Dress code at Ashram?  (Read 5629 times)

kaleido

• View Profile
Dress code at Ashram?
« on: August 16, 2009, 11:06:42 PM »
Can anyone tell me the preferred dress code for ladies at the Ashram facilities? I already red that the Ashram grounds are to be walked barefoot.

Grateful,
kaleido

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Dress code at Ashram?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 11:56:45 AM »
Dear kaleido,

There is no dress code as such.  But ladies usually wear saris
or chudidhar.  Even Western ladies wear saris and come!
Western men wear loose trousers or dhotis.  Indians wear trousers
or dhotis. 

Arunachala Siva.

drsundaram

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 07:26:32 AM »
refer to Sri R S's reply,there is dress code in Asram ; i have seen even as announcement as a notice display,just near the entrance to sri mathru budheswarar, thought not found, which was found intact some months. definitely revealing and transparent dresses, lungis and shorts are not allowed. some do come  with 3/4th..like but go unnoticed.
also an amendement to his....while for tea no bell is rang. just doors to bhajana salai opens at 4 pm sharp.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »
Friends,
Yes,drsundaram is right.Not just these but to dress minimally like Sri Bhagavan is also not expected,even if it be a sadhu.Yet,with all this,I have never found anything amiss-and visitors  maintain decorum and discipline in Sri Ramanasramam.This is the power and Grace of Sri Bhagavan's presence or sannidhi.
Namaskar

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 11:31:09 AM »
Dear kaleido,

The dress code at the ashram is basically 'modesty is best'. This is for the safety of ladies in India as well reducing distraction for those with less-disciplined minds.

You should cover your lower portion with loose clothing over trousers, or by wearing a long loose dress. This is particularly important when sitting on the floor. You should also wear a loose cloth across your chest.

Wearing covering like this says a very clear 'No' to those whose minds are not on meditation or spirituality.

Walking barefoot is only 'required' inside buildings and outside the shrines at the ashram.

Graham