Author Topic: Veda Parayana / Vedic Chanting at SriRamana Ashram  (Read 6476 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Veda Parayana / Vedic Chanting at SriRamana Ashram
« on: June 23, 2014, 02:18:39 PM »
The following are the Morning / Evening Vedic and Sanskrit Chants as followed in Ramana Ashram and I believe Bhagwan did give an outline for the same and others added some later .  I once asked David Godman about this but he could not give me the proper answer to its background .
If there is any changes in the list , I will make it .

Ramana Ashram Morning Vedic and Sanskrit Chants at 8 a.m

1) Sri Ramna Chatvarimshat
2) Sri Arunachla Pancharatnam
3) Sri Taittriya Upanishad ( Sikisha /Anand /Bhrigu Valli )
4) Sri Suktam
5)Maha Narayana Upanishad ( some portions )

Ramana Ashram Evening Vedic & Sanskrit Chants at 5 p.m

1)Dakshinamurti Stotram
2) Sri Rudram
3) Chamakam
4) Purusha Suktam , Narayana Suktam,Durga Suktam
5) Mantra Pushpam .
 6)Upadesa Saram
7) Nakarmana

I have updated the list to make some changes after seeing the final version from the book "The Veda Parayana At Sri RamanaAshram - An English  Translation  .

According to this book :
1) In Sri Bhgawan's lifetime , Vedic Chanting/Veda Parayana  was held twice a day morning and evening , lasting about 40 mts on each occasion , and this is still continued .
2) This with the Puja which follows it is  the only ritual which was or is generally attended at the Ashram .
3) It was an hour of tremendous silence when he sat immobile as though carved in rock . He never allowed anything to interrupt it .
4) When asked whether people should learn the meaning ,so as to follow it , he said no : It was sufficient that the chanting served as a support for meditation .
5) Despite this , it is also true , however , that the portions used for chanting were carefully chosen and approved by Sri Bhgawan Himself .
6) Nothing has been deleted from them since Sri Bhagwan's  lifetime and only one item added .That is Sri Dakshinamurti Stotra which , mainly on the request of the late Major Chadwick ( Sadhu Arunachala ) is now used as the opening hymn before the evening chant .
7) Technically in the past even listening to the Chanting of Vedas is supposed to made available only to Brahmins , but this prohibition was abrogated by Sri Bhagwan .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Veda Parayana / Vedic Chanting at SriRamana Ashram
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 02:21:23 PM »
This is the current daily activity schedule of SriRamana Ashram  .If someone can follow one of these schedules daily at 8 a.m, 5 p.m /6.30 p.m  at their own homes then it would be great . More ideal is if someone can follow all the 3 schedules at the same time in heir homes .

Daily Schedule

6:45am: Milk Offering/breakfast         

8am:      Vedaparayana

10am:    Morning Puja

11:30:    Lunch

4pm:      Tea

4pm:      Group Reading (Tamil)

4:30:     Group Reading (English)

5pm:     Vedaparayana

6:15:      Evening Puja

6:30:     Tamil Parayana

7:30:     Evening Meal
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 03:17:32 PM »
Listen to Veda Parayanam-Listen to any clip by clicking on the play button of the respective Clip. ( Rudram , Chamakam , All Popular Suktams , Krishna Yajur Veda selected portions )

http://arunachalavedas.org/audio.html

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 03:20:27 PM »
Sri Nochur Venkataramam on the Vedic Tradition in English ( This talk was given in Ramana Ashram )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aZWhTnkfN0#t=439

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 12:15:37 AM »
Quote from: atmavichar100 link=topic=8232.msg63894#msg63894 date=140351348
[color=blue

This is the current daily activity schedule of Sri Ramana Ashram  .

If someone can follow one of these schedules daily at 8 a.m, 5 p.m /6.30 p.m  at their own homes then it would be great .

More ideal is if someone can follow all the 3 schedules at the same time in their homes .
 [/color]
I like this. Devotees actually doing the sacred Hindu spiritual practices and connecting directly with the Divine.

I know everyone will have great experiences and homes will be filled with Divine energy.

Child of Arunachala
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 04:24:55 AM by Child of Arunachala »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 06:51:17 AM »
I like this. Devotees actually doing the sacred Hindu spiritual practices and connecting directly with the Divine.
Dear Child Of Arunachala

This is what I say to people who say they do not have time to visit the parent spiritual Organization ( like Ramana Ashram , Sivananda Ashram , Chinmaya Ashram , Ramakrishna Asharm etc ) i.e best is to follow some of the schedules there at your own home at least once in morning / evening preferably at the same time . If there is a morning aarthi / meditation there then follow it at the same time and if it is difficult in morning then try to follow it in evening .If it is difficult in the weekdays then follow the Sunday /Saturday Satsangs at least at your own house at the same time . Unless and until we try to develop some form of samskaras at home itself we will not progress much . Every Spiritual Organization has its own Satsang format that people can follow at least once a week if not daily at their own homes .

The following gives the Satsang format as advised by Sri Ramana Ashram

http://www.sriramanamaharshi.org/centres/satsang-format/

What are Ramana Satsang?

A Ramana satsang is a group of devotees of Sri Ramana Maharshi who gather together to strengthen their experience of the presence of Sri Ramana, deepen their understanding of his teachings and receive inspiration from fellow seekers on the path of practice as taught and lived by the Master.

These meetings usually take place at devotees? homes, on a weekly, biweekly, or monthly basis.
A typical satsang program is as follows:

1) Reading of the Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi, from Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, or some similar book.
  2)  Satsang Recitations ( A .AksaharaMana Malai 2.Ramana Satguru 3.Upadesa Saram 4.Arunachala Pancharatham 5.Nakarmana )
    3)Silent Meditation: this will vary from 15 minutes to an hour.
     4)A reading of Reminiscences of the Maharshi, from books like Letters from Sri Ramanasramam, etc.
   5) If parents bring their children to the satsang, the children are encouraged to sing a bhajan or song from the Ramana Bhaje Namam CD or from some other composition on or about Sri Ramana.

This concludes the satsang. Often arrangements for refreshments are made and then served to the devotees at this time.

The Audios for the Satsang recitations are available for free download at the link above .