Author Topic: thought, action, sin  (Read 1558 times)

drsundaram

• View Profile
thought, action, sin
« on: June 06, 2014, 08:04:40 AM »
Thoughts arise and may be spontaneously. Suppose I see a new car. A thought may come up that it looks nice and it will be nicer if I can drive it. ? Should we judge our thoughts and then discard them? Does it not become a constant self condemnation as a sinner.
I want to learn  about the thought management which leads to an action and also, perhaps, committing a sinful kind. Sins are normally committed with full knowledge that a sin is being committed as most of the time we are not all conscious [at a mortal level] about what we are doing. When you get irritated and shout at someone it is almost automatic - there is no thought of how it will hurt the other person instantly, per se.  There seems to be some self contradiction in that statement.
Bhagavan says to find out whose the thought is  and be done with It and to continue so at every thought as it arises.
vis a vis bhagavan's teaching my i know how to deal with a thought at mundane level till one gets enough  wisdom .

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: thought, action, sin
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 09:04:36 PM »
Dear Sri Dr. Sundaram,

How i understood these teachings,we should not,in any way at all to condemn the thoughts. That means that identification with them is still there,and our goal is to disidentufy with them. To be just dettached witness. No condemnation,and no praising even. I think this have like aim to make us get rid of ideas of doership. Same with sin. It is a sin or merit only because we think we are the doers. And to get rid of this idea,i have found,we need much courage also.

In my own case,this is one battle indeed. With time we can see the same old movements of our mind. Since it tend to repeat itself like a tape. But with every recognition,it's grip is less and less. Althrough it needs time to become alive in practice. At least i realised that for myself. Some obstacles we beat very soon,but some things tend to be much harder to get rid off. It is like hitting on the same wall with head,again and again. I sometimes wonder,how much time i need to heat in it to make myself more stronger and wise to see mind like mind.
On other hand,i wonder,this hitting is also idea of doership. So indeed,like Bhagavan said,we must just see it for what it is. Just witnessing,without identification at all. Letting thoughts to floe,and traying not to think much. Disidentification. Let all happen,good or bad,i think that is a surrender. Like Maharaj said. Not to think about welfare at all,spirituual or mundane. When i think aboit it now,it indeed needs lots of courage.

With love and prayers,

MarkB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 06:07:43 PM »
What Jewell said is very good.  Also, is not witnessing during the day similar to the meditation, is not the goal of meditation to bring it into our every day lives?  To dismiss a thought is to suppress it, and it will be back, better to watch it, as Nisargadatta says, bringing the subconscious into the conscious can make it vanish. 

Actually, I do not meditate for myself.   

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 07:07:52 PM »
Bhagavan's Brahma Ashtra To whom is this thought , me who am I should be resorted to as much as possible to eliminate all thoughts as not needed i.e those thoughts not connected with compulsorily worldly activity.
Our Prakriti may not permit this war all the time , but we should pursue it as much as possible and whenevr possible all the same without exertion as Shroi Anil pointe dout in his posts and then leave it to Bhagavan who is non other than the supreme self to aid us . The ego assumes a million entities but gradually through above process we should kill each and every identity the ego tends to assume .This is a razor's edge walk but as Shri Anil said,Bhagavan who as mentioned above is none other the supeme self is always with us right from the stage our effforts are feeble till it reaches the final culmination.This is the demon- asura war that the puranas figuratively depict.Depending our samskaras our progress may be slow or fast .
Also any form of self condemnation is to be avoided, since Bhagavan greatly stressed upon it .
Even if we have committed the greatest sin, we should forgive ourself  and resort back to self enquiry.
The self condemnation itself is a vasana which shoule be replaced by gentleness when dealing with oneself and we should dedicate all our good and bad to Bhagavan who is ever ready to share our load.
Regards,
Annad Sundaram
Sundaram Anand

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 01:46:37 AM »
worrying about a thought is just another thought
find the thinker
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it