Author Topic: The Silent Teaching  (Read 1208 times)

rjs7

• View Profile
The Silent Teaching
« on: June 01, 2014, 12:50:19 AM »
Hello Friends! This is my first post and many thanks to Graham for providing me with an account.

Having a deep interest in the teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi, I have practiced self inquiry "on and off" for a number of years.

I was wondering if other members of the forum have also overlooked - like I often do - that while Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi did answer questions, he frequently said the silent teaching was the highest and purest form of his teaching. Quite often I will read the written teaching, apply it, and will tend to view the written teaching as his primary teaching.

Would I be right in thinking this is not the case. That infact the written teaching was given for those who couldn't comprehend his silent teaching. And the written teaching is a tool that opens one up to receive his silent teaching; which I am sure is still given to those of us who desire it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:51:57 AM by rjs7 »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: The Silent Teaching
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 07:03:47 AM »
Dear rjs7,

No doubt Sri Bhagavan was engaging Himself in conversation, when questions were asked, to clarify His teachings.
However His Silence was the most potent weapon to melt the mind and curl up into the Heart.

Arunachala Siiva.

rjs7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 06:16:13 PM »
Thankyou for your reply Subramanian.R :)

Your answer coincides with what I assumed. That self-enquiry is engaged by the false-self, and when the realisation occurs that it is the false-self that is the one making the effort, you can see through the illusion of the I-am-the-body thought and rest in silence.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »
but when we sit silently we end up in stupor  Hence that silence in sannidhi of Maharishi really means arresting of all thoughts.  If one could not do that, it is better to enquire.