Author Topic: Reality of Shiva, Vishnu and other forms  (Read 24471 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Reality of Shiva, Vishnu and other forms
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 08:38:50 PM »
Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna-7

No finality about God's nature

A BRAHMO DEVOTEE: "Sir, has God forms or has He none?"

MASTER: "No one can say with finality that God is only 'this' and nothing else. He is formless, and again He has forms. For the bhakta He assumes forms. But He is formless for the jnani, that is, for him who looks on the world as a mere dream. The bhakta feels that he is one entity and the world another. Therefore God reveals Himself to him as a Person. But the jnani-the Vedantist, for instance-always reasons, applying the process of 'Not this, not this'. Through this discrimination he realizes, by his inner perception, that the ego and the universe are both illusory, like a dream. Then the jnani realizes Brahman in his own consciousness. He cannot describe what Brahman is.

"Do you know what I mean? Think of Brahman, Existence-Knowledge-Bliss Absolute, as a shore less ocean. Through the cooling influence, as it were, of the bhakta's love, the water has frozen at places into blocks of ice. In other words, God now and then assumes various forms for His lovers and reveals Himself to them as a Person. But with the rising of the sun of Knowledge, the blocks of ice melt. Then one doesn't feel any more that God is a Person, nor does one see God's forms. What He is cannot be described. Who will describe Him? He who would do so disappears. He cannot find his 'I' any more.

Friends,we can clearly see how the master explains the Nature of God so simply and wonderfully.He does not dismiss the forms of God and visions as 'kalpana' or 'mental formations' etc.He views them as embodiment of Satchidananda.Yet he also talks about the 'ice melting' into the formlesness as well.Here lies his reaching out to one and all,satisfying head and heart.This is exactly the way Lord Sri krishna teaches Arjuna in the Gita,harmonizing everything,always encouraging and never ever nonplussing the seeker.

our friend Krishna(ksksat) has wanted to express himself on this aspect ,not to be dismissive of the forms of god like shiva,vishnu,Ganesha,etc  that are worshipped by devotees,not to turn away from God endowed with forms and qualities in a irreverent way.In fact Sri Bhagavan also invokes Lord Sri Ganesha at the very beginning of the unparalleled Akshara maNa mAlai.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 08:42:12 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »
Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna-8

Personal God for devotees

Master:"The Saguna Brahman is meant for the bhaktas. In other words, a bhakta believes that God has attributes and reveals Himself to men as a Person, assuming forms. It is He who listens to our prayers. The prayers that you utter are directed to Him alone. You are bhaktas, not jnanis or Vedantists. It doesn't matter whether you accept God with form or not. It is enough to feel that God is a Person who listens to our prayers, who creates, preserves, and destroys the universe, and who is endowed with infinite power.
"It is easier to attain God by following the path of devotion."

BRAHMO DEVOTEE: "Sir, is it possible for one to see God? If so, why can't we see Him?"

MASTER: "Yes, He can surely be seen. One can see His forms, and His formless aspect as well. How can I explain that to you?"

Intense longing enables one to see God

BRAHMO DEVOTEE: "What are the means by which one can see God?"

MASTER: "Can you weep for Him with intense longing of heart? Men shed a jugful of tears for the sake of their children, for their wives, or for money. But who weeps for God? So long as the child remains engrossed with its toys, the mother looks after her cooking and other household duties. But when the child no longer relishes the toys, it throws them aside and yells for its mother. Then the mother takes the rice-pot down from the hearth, runs in haste, and takes the child in her arms."

We may see here the great compassion and earnestness on the part of the Master-How he wants to reach out to the lowest of the lowly,the most ordinary of the ordinary man-He acknowledges the fact-' You are bhaktas, not jnanis or Vedantists'.He says as if wondering for a moment-'How can I explain to you?' and so wonderfully explains it in such a charming and telling fashion.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 09:06:03 PM »
Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna-9

Why so much controversy about God?

BRAHMO DEVOTEE: "Sir, why are there so many different opinions about the nature of God? Some say that God has form, while others say that He is formless. Again, those who speak of God with form tell us about His different forms. Why all this controversy?"

MASTER: "A devotee thinks of God as he sees Him. In reality there is no confusion about God. God explains all this to the devotee if the devotee only realizes Him somehow. You haven't set your foot in that direction. How can you expect to know all about God?

Parable of the chameleon

"Listen to a story. Once a man entered a wood and saw a small animal on a tree. He came back and told another man that he had seen a creature of a beautiful red colour on a certain tree. The second man replied: 'When I went into the wood, I also saw that animal. But why do you call it red? It is green.' Another man who was present contradicted them both and insisted that it was yellow. Presently others arrived and contended that it was grey, violet, blue, and so forth and so on. At last they started quarrelling among themselves. To settle the dispute they all went to the tree. They saw a man sitting under it. On being asked, he replied: 'Yes, I live under this tree and I know the animal very well. All your descriptions are true. Sometimes it appears red, sometimes yellow, and at other times blue, violet, grey, and so forth. It is a chameleon. And sometimes it has no colour at all. Now it has a colour, and now it has none.'

"In like manner, one who constantly thinks of God can know His real nature; he alone knows that God reveals Himself to seekers in various forms and aspects. God has attributes; then again He has none. Only the man who lives under the tree knows that the chameleon can appear in various colours, and he knows, further, that the animal at times has no colour at all. It is the others who suffer from the agony of futile argument.

Kabir used to say, 'The formless Absolute is my Father, and God with form is my Mother.'

God reveals Himself in the form which His devotee loves most. His love for the devotee knows no bounds. It is written in the Purana that God assumed the form of Rama for His heroic devotee, Hanuman.

Friends,This is one excerpt that will set at rest all doubts that one may possibly have.The parable of the chameleon is truly wonderful.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 09:12:39 PM »
Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna-10

Vedantic Non-dualism

"The forms and aspects of God disappear when one discriminates in accordance with the Vedanta philosophy. The ultimate conclusion of such discrimination is that Brahman alone is real and this world of names and forms illusory. It is possible for a man to see the forms of God, or to think of Him as a Person, only so long as he is conscious that he is a devotee. From the standpoint of discrimination this 'ego of a devotee' keeps him a little away from God.

"Do you know why images of Krishna or Kali are three and a half cubits high? Because of distance. Again, on account of distance the sun appears to be small. But if you go near it you will find the sun so big that you won't be able to comprehend it. Why have images of Krishna and Kali a dark-blue colour? That too is on account of distance, like the water of a lake, which appears green, blue, or black from a distance. Go near, take the water in the palm of your hand, and you will find that it has no colour. The sky also appears blue from a distance. Go near and you will see that it has no colour at all.

Therefore I say that in the light of Vedantic reasoning Brahman has no attributes. The real nature of Brahman cannot be described. But so long as your individuality is real, the world also is real, and equally real are the different forms of God and the feeling that God is a Person.

Yours is the path of bhakti. That is very good; it is an easy path. Who can fully know the infinite God? and what need is there of knowing the Infinite? Having attained this rare human birth, my supreme need is to develop love for the Lotus Feet of God.

If a jug of water is enough to remove my thirst, why should I measure the quantity of water in a lake? I become drunk on even half a bottle of wine-what is the use of my calculating the quantity of liquor in the tavern? What need is there of knowing the Infinite?

Friends,Wonderful saying of the Master that harmonizes and puts everything in just the Right perspective.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 09:32:27 PM »
Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna-11

A MARWARI DEVOTEE: "Sir, what is the way?"

Two ways of God-realization

MASTER: "There are two ways. One is the path of discrimination, the other is that of love. Discrimination means to know the distinction between the Real and the unreal. God alone is the real and permanent Substance; all else is illusory and impermanent. The magician alone is real; his magic is illusory. This is discrimination.
"Discrimination and renunciation. Discrimination means to know the distinction between the Real and the unreal. Renunciation means to have dispassion for the things of the world. One cannot acquire them all of a sudden. They must be practised every day. One should renounce 'woman and gold' mentally at first. Then, by the will of God, one can renounce it both mentally and outwardly. It is impossible to ask the people of Calcutta to renounce all for the sake of God. One has to tell them to renounce mentally.

Constant practice urged

"Through the discipline of constant practice one is able to give up attachment to 'woman and gold'. That is what the Gita says. By practice one acquires uncommon power of mind. Then one doesn't find it difficult to subdue the sense-organs and to bring anger, lust, and the like under control. Such a man behaves like a tortoise, which, once it has tucked in its limbs, never puts them out. You cannot make the tortoise put its limbs out again, though you chop it to pieces with an axe."

MARWARI DEVOTEE: "Revered sir, you just mentioned two paths. What is the other path?"

MASTER: "The path of bhakti, or zealous love of God. Weep for God in solitude, with a restless soul, and ask Him to reveal Himself to you.

"Cry to your Mother Syama with a real
cry, O mind! And how can She hold Herself from you? "

MARWARI DEVOTEE: "Sir, what is the meaning of the worship of the Personal God? And what is the meaning of God without form or attribute?"

MASTER: "As you recall your father by his photograph, so likewise the worship of the image reveals in a flash the nature of Reality.

"Do you know what God with form is like? Like bubbles rising on an expanse of water, various divine forms are seen to rise out of the Great akasa of Consciousness. The Incarnation of God is one of these forms. The Primal Energy sports, as it were, through the activities of a Divine Incarnation.

What is there in mere scholarship? God can be attained by crying to Him with a longing heart. There is no need to know many things.

He who is an acharya has to know different things. One needs a sword and shield to kill others; but to kill oneself, a needle or a nail-knife suffices.

One ultimately discovers God by trying to know who this 'I' is. Is this 'I' the flesh, the bones, the blood, or the marrow? Is it the mind or the buddhi? Analysing thus, you realize at last that you are none of these. This is called the process of 'Neti, neti', 'Not this, not this'.

One can neither comprehend nor touch the Atman. It is without qualities or attributes.

But, according to the path of devotion, God has attributes. To a devotee Krishna is Spirit, His Abode is Spirit, and everything about Him is Spirit.

The Marwari devotees saluted the Master and took their leave.

Friends,Here the Master explains the significance of worship of form-He says -'As you recall your father by his photograph, so likewise the worship of the image reveals in a flash the nature of Reality'.
He also explains the significance of abode of god or Lokas like kailasam or vaikuntam-He Says-'To a devotee Krishna is Spirit, His Abode is Spirit, and everything about Him is Spirit'
In other words Siva is Sivam as well and 'anbey sivam'-meaning 'Love alone is sivam'.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 09:58:58 PM »
Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna-12

Illustration of the ocean and the ice

Master:(To the goswami) "How can you say that the only truth about God is that He has form? It is undoubtedly true that God comes down to earth in a human form, as in the case of Krishna. And it is true as well that God reveals Himself to His devotees in various forms. But it is also true that God is formless; He is the Indivisible Existence-Knowledge-Bliss Absolute.He has been described in the Vedas both as formless and as endowed with form. He is also described there both as attributeless and as endowed with attributes.
"Do you know what I mean? Satchidananda is like an infinite ocean. Intense cold freezes the water into ice, which floats on the ocean in blocks of various forms. Likewise, through the cooling influence of bhakti, one sees forms of God in the Ocean of the Absolute. These forms are meant for the bhaktas, the lovers of God. But when the Sun of Knowledge rises, the ice melts; it becomes the same water it was before. Water above and water below, everywhere nothing but water. Therefore a prayer in the Bhagavata says: 'O Lord, Thou hast form, and Thou art also formless. Thou walkest before us, O Lord, in the shape of a man; again, Thou hast been described in the Vedas as beyond words and thought.'
But you may say that for certain devotees God assumes eternal forms. There are places in the ocean where the ice doesn't melt at all. It assumes the form of quartz."

KEDAR: "It is said in the Bhagavata that Vyasa asked God's forgiveness for his three transgressions. He said: 'O Lord, Thou art formless, but I have thought of Thee in my
meditation as endowed with form; Thou art beyond speech, but I have sung Thee hymns; Thou art the All-pervading Spirit, but I have made pilgrimages to sacred places. Be gracious, O Lord, and forgive these three transgressions of mine.'"

MASTER: "Yes, God has form and He is formless too. Further, He is beyond both form and formlessness. No one can limit Him."

In the very first excerpt,Sri Ramakrishna tells M -'You believe in God without form; that is quite all right. But never for a moment think that this alone is true and all else false'.
In this excerpt He is telling the Vaishnava devotee-'How can you say that the only truth about God is that He has form? It is undoubtedly true that God comes down to earth in a human form, as in the case of Krishna. And it is true as well that God reveals Himself to His devotees in various forms. But it is also true that God is formless'

This is the lesson that we may learn -not to hold on to our pet ideas and stagnate-but to be open and at the same time go ahead with whatever little understanding and conviction that we have,putting our heart and soul into it.The problem is  when we turn this limited understanding into something that is universal and  sacrosanct for one and all ,as if it is definitive and final for one and all.
Time and again we get to read in this forum and elsewhere as well -'All so and so  Bhaktas' should do this or that,etc,etc.The worship of form  can easily turn into a cult as in the vast majority of cases.We then have Shaivites vs vaishnavites,ShaktAs vs vaishnavites,etc .
There is only one Truth,only one God-Satchidananda and all are devotees of such a God only.The Master emphasizes this aspect and frees the devotee from all trappings.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 08:18:17 AM »
Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna-13

Oneness of God

Master:The Truth established in the Vedas, the Puranas, and the Tantras is but one Satchidananda. In the Vedas It is called Brahman, in the Puranas It is called Krishna, Rama, and so on, and in the Tantras It is called Siva. The one Satchidananda is called Brahman, Krishna, and Siva.

The inferior devotee says, 'God exists, but He is very far off, up there in heaven.' The mediocre devotee says, 'God exists in all beings as life and consciousness.'
The superior devotee says: 'It is God Himself who has become everything; whatever I see is only a form of God. It is He alone who has become maya, the universe, and all living beings. Nothing exists but God.'

Friends,We covered just about everything-The manifestation of God with form,his formless aspect,The Nature of the Form as embodiment of spirit,The abode of God as spirit and finally the Limitless Nature of God and how ']It is God Himself who has become everything; whatever I see is only a form of God. It is He alone who has become maya, the universe, and all living beings. Nothing exists but God.'

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 08:30:39 AM »
Friends,
What Sri Bhagavan has to say on Vaikuntam and Kailasa and the other worlds?

31st January, 1946 (33) ASTRAL PATHS ? HIGHER WORLDS

This morning after reading an article in the newspaper about paths beyond the sun and the higher worlds, Bhagavan said, 'They write a lot about the paths beyond the sun and other planets, and the blissful worlds above them. All those worlds also are like this world. There is nothing specially great about them. Here, a song is being transmitted over the radio. Last time, it was from Madras. Now it is from Tiruchirapalli. If you tune again it will be from Mysore. All these places are in Tiruvannamalai, within this short time. It is the same way with the other worlds. You have only to turn your minds to them. You can see them all in one moment. But what is the use? You merely go about from place to place get tired and disgusted. Where is shanti (peace)? If you want it, you must know the eternal truth. If you cannot know that, the mind will not get absorbed in shanti.'

Similarly someone enquired of Bhagavan some time back, 'People talk of Vaikunta, Kailasa, Indraloka, Chandraloka, etc. Do they really exist?' Bhagavan replied, 'Certainly. You can rest assured that they all exist. There also a Swami like me will be found seated on a couch and disciples will also be seated around him. They will ask something and he will say something in reply. Everything will be more or less like this. What of that? If one sees Chandraloka, he will ask for Indraloka, and after Indraloka, Vaikunta and after Vaikunta, Kailasa, and so on, and the mind goes on wandering. Where is shanti? If shanti is required, the only correct method of securing it is by Self-enquiry. Through Self-enquiry Selfrealisation is possible. If one realises the Self, one can see all these worlds within one's self. The source of everything is one's own Self, and if one realises the Self, one will not find anything different from the Self. Then these questions will not arise. There may or may not be a Vaikunta or a Kailasa but it is a fact that you are here, isn't it? How are you here? Where are you? After you know about these things, you can think of all those worlds.'

Excerpt from Letters from Sri Ramanasramam.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:50:50 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 08:40:14 AM »
4th April, 1948 (171) KAILASA

This morning a devotee brought an old copy of the Peria Puranam and gave it to Bhagavan. Reading the story about Sundaramurti going to Kailasa, Bhagavan said, 'It seems that Sundaramurti found that after his own arrival, the Chera Raja had arrived on horseback almost immediately. The Raja asked him, 'How did you come here without my calling?'. So saying Bhagavan read a verse from it. A Tamil youth, who was present, said, 'Where is that Kailasa, Swami?'

'Kailasa! It is at the very place where we are. First of all, tell me where we are?' said Bhagavan.

'That's not it, Swami. The Kailasa of which you have just read, that Sundaramurti had gone to; does it really exist? If so, where is it? Please favour me with a proper reply' said the young man.

'I have told you already' said Bhagavan. 'We have come here now. From here we will go to some other place. If all this is true, then that also is true. There, also, a Swami will be found seated on a raised pedestal. Just like this there will be devotees around. They ask something; he replies something. That will also be like this. If you look at the thing from the point of view of the body, that is how it is. If, however, you look at it from the point of view of truth, wherever we are, it is Kailasa. There is no question of its being born or growing or dying. When we realize that there is nothing real in this world, Kailasa is everywhere'.

'How will that be known?' the young man asked.

'Everyone knows that he is in existence. You were in existence when you were born, when you were a year old, when you were in middle age and when you were old. You  have not changed; it is only the body that has changed. To know that your SELF has not changed, this illustration itself is enough,?' said Bhagavan.

Excerpt from The Letters from Sri Ramanasramam.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:55:32 AM by Ravi.N »

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 06:13:08 PM »
Friends,
We are seeing so many forms -there is a huge variety out there in this world.Now in addition to this,if we happen to see one more form,with a Trident and matted locks and deer skin and with a third eye.What would make us conclude that it is Lord Siva and not an alien descended from another planet?
How do we recognize God?If as our friend Ksksat has said in another thread that Siva with form should come first and sivam will come later-Who is that Siva?What does he mean to us?What prevents us from taking(mistaking)siva to be another creature or Jiva like all other jivas?What would prevent us from shrinking by seeing  his three eyed Face that we may take as resembling a monster?Let us even take for Granted that such a siva exists in Kailasam.What does He mean to us now?What would He mean to us even granting that we land up in kailasam?
What is the Nature of God that makes us seek his presence?How is this presence related to his form?
Namaskar.

Dear Ravi sir,

You have given the above reply and later quoted many Thakur's gospels.

If one does not really believe in three eyed Shiva and Kailash,  and the reality of Shiva form what use it is to do meditation, advaita sadhana and call oursevles sadhakas of Ramana Maharishee or Ramakrishna?

Better frankly admit that I dont believe in any form of God like Arya Samaj.  And proclaim clearly that the forms are nothing but imaginary paintings just to help on concentration , focus , chittha suddhi etc. etc.

I think with such mentality one can follow Buddha and his teachings -- Buddha was atleast honest to admit what he believed and what not.

It is totally conflict to still believe on Nayanmars and use their devotion to prove our own logical principles and complexities of the mind.

When Papa Ramadas or Papaji or Pamban Swamigal did tapas on Rama, Krishna or Muruga they did not do it just as an 'aid' for the concentration.

What is the use in just acting like believing while in the heart and heart,  we give room for our doubting mind and 100% sure that Shiva is an illusion?

If one cannot see Shiva or Vishnu it is because one is not having the full devotion.  That does not mean Shiva and Vishnu are illusions.

I think here we are almost sure of the fact that only this earth is real and that Kailasha and Vaikunta are only Chumbak story planets.

We are no better than atheists.  Atleast they have the truth to speak what they feel. We chant Rudram and chamakam and do all deva tharpanams but deny Mahadeva as just an aid or illusionary form?  Sambo Siva Sankara.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 06:36:35 PM »
Dear Krishnan and Ravi,

As for as Sri Bhagavan is concerned, He believed only in Consciousness, Sivam and not in any personal gods. Of course,
as soon as He reached Annamalai, He embraced the Siva Linga, calling Him as His Father.  But at the same time, He did
not discourage devotees  to pray to personal gods.   

See this verse:

அரியாதி இதர சீவரது அக வாரிச குகையில்
அறிவாய் ரமி பரமாத்துமன் அருணாசல ரமணன்
பரிவால் உளம் உருகா நல பரன் ஆர்ந்திடு குகை ஆர்ந்து
அறிவாம் விழி திறவா நிசம் அறிவாய் அது வெளியாம்.

In the recesses of the lotus shaped hearts of all, beginning with Vishnu, there shines as pure intellect (Absolute
Consciousness) inmost recess of the Heart wherein He dwells as the beloved, the subtle eye of pure intellect opens
and He reveals Himself as Pure Consciousness.

Arunachala Siva. 

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »
grasp and reject , grasp and reject .... this is the mind
so many beliefs .... so little time
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2014, 08:26:43 PM »
Ksksat,
If you carefully and earnestly go through whatever has been presented you will get the answers to the questions that are raised prior to the series of post.The point is simply this-You are thinking that the form of siva is onething and the Nature of Siva which is Sivam is another,which is just belief and misplaced.All I have said is that without the Sivam or Consciousness,form does not mean anything.Form and name go along with the quality they represent.Mere three eyes,matted locks,trident ,Deer skin do not mean that it is Siva.Siva is Sivam-anbeY Sivam,Love alone is sivam.Siva appeared to the Nayanmars in various forms ,to say that all are his forms only.He appeared to somAsi nAyanAr in the form of an untouchable with his wife and 4 dogs.It was on account of the tapas of sOmAsimAra nAyanAr and how he had served sunadaramurthy nAyanAr who vouchsafed him this inner vision -that he could see God in that form and understood that the Lord has appeared in that form and that the 4 dogs meant the 4 vedas.He realized that all forms are that of siva and permeating them is the pure consciousness, that is sivam.The Rest of the Brahmins who had gathered there to perform yAgam rushed out of that place on seeing the untouchable and the dogs.They also saw what sOmAsimAra nAyanAr saw but did not recognize Him.Seeing a form does not mean anything without perceiving the consciousness behind the form.
Whoever said that chanting the name is for concentration?Please read my posts from the Gospel.
Our friend Subramanian has pointed out already that without recognizing the sivam in us,we cannot recognize the sivam in any other form,when he quoted manikkavAchakar.I have paraphrased what he has said.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2014, 09:22:10 PM »
ksksat/Friends,
Just posting a couple of  saying of Sri Ramakrishna that I have already posted in the series of posts earlier:

To a devotee Krishna is Spirit, His Abode is Spirit, and everything about Him is Spirit.

MARWARI DEVOTEE: "Sir, what is the meaning of the worship of the Personal God? And what is the meaning of God without form or attribute?"

MASTER: "As you recall your father by his photograph, so likewise the worship of the image reveals in a flash the nature of Reality

Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 07:10:23 AM »
ksksat(Krishna)/Friends,
In the context of what we are discussing please refer to what Swami Vivekananda has spoken about Devotion:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Complete_Works_of_Swami_Vivekananda/Volume_2/Bhakti_or_Devotion

Namaskar.