Author Topic: The problem of eating ice cream?  (Read 1170 times)

mcozire

• View Profile
The problem of eating ice cream?
« on: March 12, 2014, 04:05:16 AM »
Ok, so this may come off as being a bit ridiculous, but please bare with me :)

So I was reading the Bhagavad Gita this evening, I read the section on Karma yoga, inaction, and action.

So after reading, I was struck by the choice of weather I wanted to go and buy some ice cream and enjoy it.

So I decided to go and walk to the shop while either chanting the lords name krishna, or remaining silent, and just being, abiding in krishna. Then I came back, and offered the ice cream to krishna, and then ate it.

So now I'm wondering, was all that OK?

I mean, should I have gone and gotten ice cream? When is it, OK to eat, desire, and enjoy ice cream?

I understood, that when I was going to the shop, when I was just being, that there was no 'action' there was just awareness, stillness, and actions were occurring in it.

I understood when I was eating, also the same could be said, but it was also definitely said that 'I' was enjoying the ice cream.

I have definitely come to understand the main reason for the life is to come to know krishna, but didn't krishna also make ice cream :/ ?

I hope we can have a little chat about some of the things that have come up here.

Thanks, very much for you time,
so much love,
Hare Krishna,
Mark.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: The problem of eating ice cream?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:43:26 AM »
Mark,

So now I'm wondering, was all that OK?

Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Sri Ramakrishna began to talk with his devotees in a very joyous spirit. It was the month of April and the day was very sultry. Devendra had made ice-cream. He offered it to the Master and the devotees. M said in a low voice, "Encore! Encore!" The devotees laughed. At the sight of the ice-cream. Sri Ramakrishna was happy as a child.

MASTER: "The kirtan was very nice. The song described beautifully the gopis' state of mind: 'O madhavi, give me back my Sweet One!' The milkmaids of Vrindavan were drunk with ecstatic love for Krishna. How wonderful! Mad for Krishna!"
A devotee, pointing to another devotee, said, "He has the attitude of the gopis."
RAM: "No, he has both-the attitude of tender love and the attitude of austere knowledge."
MASTER: "What is it you are talking about?"
Sri Ramakrishna inquired about Surendra.
RAM: "I sent him word, but he hasn't come."
MASTER: "He gets very tired from his heavy office-work."
A DEVOTEE: "Ram Babu has been writing about you."
MASTER (smiling): "What is he writing?"
DEVOTEE: "He is writing an article on The Bhakti of the Paramahamsa'."
MASTER: "Good! That will make Ram famous."
GIRISH (smiling): "He says he is your disciple."
MASTER: "I have no disciple. I am the servant of the servant of Rama."
Some people of the neighbourhood had dropped in; but they did not please the Master. He said: "What sort of place is this? I don't find a single pious soul here."
Devendra took Sri Ramakrishna into the inner apartments and offered him refreshments.
Afterwards the Master returned to the drawing-room with a happy face and took his seat. The devotees sat around him'. Upendra and Akshay sat on either side of him and stroked his feet. The Master spoke highly of the women of Devendra's family, saying: "They are very nice. They come from the country; so they are very pious."
The Master was absorbed in his own joy. In a happy mood he began to sing:

Unless a man is simple, he cannot recognize God, the Simple One. . .

Again he sang:

Stay your step, O wandering monk
Stand there with begging-bowl in hand,
And let me behold your radiant face . . .

Once more:
A mendicant has come to us, ever absorbed in divine moods;
Holy alike is he to Hindu and Mussulman . . ..

Girish saluted the Master and took his leave. Devendra and the other devotees took the Master to his carriage. Seeing that one of his neighbours was sound asleep on a bench in the courtyard, Devendra woke him up. The neighbour rubbed his eyes and said, "Has the Paramahamsa come?" All burst into laughter. The man had come a long time before Sri Ramakrishna's arrival, and because of the heat had spread a mat on the bench, lain down, and gone sound asleep.
Sri Ramakrishna's carriage proceeded to Dakshineswar. He said to M. happily, "I have eaten a good deal of ice-cream; bring four or five cones for me when you come to Dakshineswar."

So Mark,you are in fine company enjoying your krishna and the ice-cream,and you are not the only one to do so  :)
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 07:41:24 AM »
Mark/Friends,
The question of satisfying desires is something that may occur to all earnest aspirants.
We may approach it this way.Let us say that we are travelling by train to a destination.We make use of all facilities in the train to make the journey comfortable and pleasant;we also put up with  discomforts that are inevitable;For instance,We switch on the Fan or the airconditioning that is provided;we also look out of the window and enjoy the scenic beauty outside;we also enjoy the food served in the train.We have to put up with garrulous talk of copassengers.
All this is fine as long as we are not compelled to discontinue our journey.For instance,we should not get attracted by something outside that makes us desert our journey.As long as every other thing is subservient to the journey,it is fine.
Spiritual Living is not about being a killjoy.
Namaskar.

mcozire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 03:50:14 PM »
Oh wow Ravi.N, that reply just made so much sense to me. Thank you very much!

Thank you so much for the lovely story of Sri Ramakrishna, it made me smile very much.

Many thanks again,
so much love,
Mark.