Author Topic: Self-Inquiry and Dreams  (Read 884 times)

silence

• View Profile
Self-Inquiry and Dreams
« on: January 19, 2014, 10:55:43 PM »
Dear Friends,

Before falling asleep, I make it a point to do self-inquiry, but I realize when I do I end up getting intense dreams. This does NOT happen if I simply sleep without doing any self-inquiry. I noticed this pattern many times.

What to make of this? Is there any meaning in this, or is it just incidental?

Thanks,
Suresh

Krishnan

• View Profile
Re: Self-Inquiry and Dreams
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 01:53:37 AM »
Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Dear Sri Suresh,

1. Could you clarify what intense means - vivid? more mental activity in dreams?
2. Do you realize that you are dreaming, even though the dreams are more intense, when you do self enquiry before sleeping?
3. Maybe my example is naieve, but when one listens to music before falling asleep, when one concentrates a lot on the music rather than the feeling/experience, one takes longer to sleep. Similarly perhaps, you are focusing too much on the question itself rather than experiencing the phenomenon behind the question, i.e. the I. This might lead to more unconscious mental activity.

Pranams,
Krishnan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-Inquiry and Dreams
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:19:27 AM »
Dear Silence,

Doing Self Inquiry before going to sleep and intense dreams (good or bad) have no relationship with each other.
Sri Bhagavan who was self realized also had dreams.  So I am of the view that both have no connection with each other.

Arunachala Siva.