Author Topic: Yoga Vasistha or the Supreme Yoga  (Read 2956 times)

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
Yoga Vasistha or the Supreme Yoga
« on: January 15, 2014, 04:23:31 PM »
Dear friends,
The Yoga Vasistha slightly  deviates from Bhagavan's teachings in the following two points as I see it  or till someone corrects me.
1.Unlike Bhagavan who said that with self enquiry, gradually the atttraction to sense pleasures(except as permissible  by Dharma) will diminish , the yoga vasistha talks of clenching the teeth and avoiding sense pleasure (except as permissible  by Dharma) .
2.It also talks about self effort prevailing over destiny .It is not clear whether such self effort is referred to spiritual pursuit or is also applicable to materialistic  life. If it is also applicable to materialistic life then it contradicts Bhagavan's teachings that everything in life on the material front is pre destined.
I would like fellow members to share their views on the above.
Thanks,
Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Yoga Vasistha or the Supreme Yoga
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 10:36:23 AM »
Dear Anand,

1. Clenching the teeth is to avoid sense pleasure is for sadhakas.  Bhagavan also says efforts and perseverance are necessary.
There is no difference.

2. Again, efforts are necessary only for sadhakas.  Once one reaches the state of Self Realization, the person would laugh
at the efforts made, Bhagavan says.  Further efforts (or free will) and destiny are only in the case of sadhakas.  The
Self Realized transcends both.  See Ulladu Narpadu.

Arunachala Siva. 

ksksat27

• View Profile
Re: Yoga Vasistha or the Supreme Yoga
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 07:13:07 AM »
Dear friends,
The Yoga Vasistha slightly  deviates from Bhagavan's teachings in the following two points as I see it  or till someone corrects me.
1.Unlike Bhagavan who said that with self enquiry, gradually the atttraction to sense pleasures(except as permissible  by Dharma) will diminish , the yoga vasistha talks of clenching the teeth and avoiding sense pleasure (except as permissible  by Dharma) .
2.It also talks about self effort prevailing over destiny .It is not clear whether such self effort is referred to spiritual pursuit or is also applicable to materialistic  life. If it is also applicable to materialistic life then it contradicts Bhagavan's teachings that everything in life on the material front is pre destined.
I would like fellow members to share their views on the above.
Thanks,
Anand Sundaram.

Yoga Vashista is a ocean,  lot of verses are there.  Verse by verse translated books runs into heavy volumes.

We can only read some extracts from it and get some meaning according to each individual capability.

Now coming to someone a jnani like Bhagavan Ramana,  their words need not tally with scriptures all the time.
Infact a Master speaks from his experience and it just tallies with Scriptures.

Scriptures are vast,  we cannot take a portion and generalize.

Master Ramana's teachings on other hand are very very focussed,  very much aligned for a quicker salvation and quietness instead of 'winning' and doing super yogic accomplishments.

In that light,  it is best to accept that everything is divenly ordained and practice Summa Iru.