Author Topic: Niranjananada Swami Day - 15.01.2014.  (Read 1595 times)


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 47994
    • View Profile
Niranjananada Swami Day - 15.01.2014.
« on: January 15, 2014, 08:57:29 AM »
Today is the liberation day of Niranjanananda Swami, the Sarvadihikari (Administrator) of Sri Ramanasramam.

Nagasundaram, who later became Swami Niranjanananda Swami, was born at Tiruchuzhi on 8th June 1885 to Sundaram
Iyer and his devoted wife Smt. Azhagammal. He had three siblings: Nagaswami, the eldest brother, Venkataraman, the
middle brother (who was six years older than Nagasundaram) and Alamelu, a younger sister.  When their father died,
in 1892, Nagasundaram was six years old.  Sundaram Iyer having left no savings, the family was totally dependent on
relatives after his death.  The sons Nagaswami and Venkaraman went to Madurai to live with Subbier, the brother of
Sundaram Iyer. The sons pursued their higher studies there.  Nagasundaram and Alamelu went to Manamadurai to the
house of Nilliappar Iyer along with Smt. Azhagammal. 

In 1896,  Venkataraman, who later came to be known as Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi, had the self-hood experience
which radically altered His life and set Him on course to travel to Arunachala and stay there.  In 1898, Mother Azhagamma
went to Tiruvannamalai to bring Him back but they failed.

In 1902, Nagasundaram came up to Bhagavan who was then at Sadguru Swami Cave (Banyan Tree Cave) in silence.  He
hugged Bhagavan and wept aloud, while Bhagavan was smiling all the while.  He stayed a while and noticed that a quantity
of sugar candy offered to Bhagavan by His visitors in the Cave. Concluding that it was his brother's property and would be
an excellent prasadam for distribution back home, he bundled up some candy.  When this was brought to the notice of Bhagavan
by Pazhaniswami, He wrote down His advice to Nagasundaram which became His first upadesa to him.  He advised that the
offerings of devotee did not belong to any one person and there was no question of relationship in the matter.  Everyone
who visited Him was equally entitled to a share in the offerings made to the Asramam.  This upadesa went home deeply and
Nagasundaram lived by it till the end.

In 1904, Nagasundaram began to earn for the family when he started work in Taluk Office in Manamadurai.  In 1908, he
married Managalam, the elderst daughter of his aunt (Nelliappar's wife) sister. Two children were born but both died

In 1914, they had another male child who they named Venkataraman in honor of Sage of Arunachala. Again Mother
Azhagammal went to Arunachala to see her son when they had visited Tirupati. Mother Azhagammal was old and fatigued.
She declared, 'I am not going back and I will stay here.'

Nagasundaram returned to Tiruvenkadu with his family and resumed his work there. Soon after, his wife died.  He was
left with the sole responsibility for the son Venkataraman. But he could not look after him properly. 

In 1916, one Narayana Reddy who lived at Tiruvannamalai came to Tiruvenkadu and told Nagasundaram that his mother
instructed him to bring her son to Tiruvannamalai.  Nagasundaram  saw it as a call from Arunachala Siva and left Tiruvenkadu
entrusting his child Venkataraman to the care of Nelliappar's family, Soon, Alamelu and her husband Pichu Iyer adopted
the child and took him to their house. 

Nagasundaram was thirty two years old when in August 1917, he arrived at Tiruvannamalai with the intention of surrendering
to Bhagavan.  As a child Nagasundaram was affectionately called Picchai and Mother Azhagammal told Bhagavan: 'You have
to look after this Picchai.' 

In 1918, Nagasundaram took the decisive step of renouncing the world and taking sannyasa. He received diksha, and
after placing the ochre robe in front of Bhagavan, he donned them.  He took he name Niranjananda.


Arunachala Siva.


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 47994
    • View Profile
Re: Niranjananada Swami Day - 15.01.2014.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 10:03:40 AM »

As Bhagavan had insisted that begging was the best way to destroy the ego, all the devotees with Him regularly went to the
town to beg for food.  Nranjanananda Swami also did the same for some years.  Later Niranjanananda Swai became the
Sarvadhikari of the Asramam, since some one reliable was necessary to take care of the Asramam administration. Sri Bhagavan
soon moved to Skandasramam and His mother started cooking.  The flame that was lit at that time continues to burn at Sri
Ramanasramam and is feeding a lot of people whose number is ever increasing, day by day.  Vasudeva Sastri looked after the
basic necessities of the sadhus group at the Skandasramam. 

In 1922, Mother Azhagammal became seriously ill with constant diarrhoea.  Bhagavan and Chinnaswami looked after her day
and night.  One day the Mother took her younger son's hand and placing it into Bhagavan's hand, said, 'Picchai does not know
good or bad. You have to look after him.' She attained Vidheha Kaivalyam soon afterwards by Bhagavan's Grace. It was on
May 1922.  Her body was taken down from Skandasramam and interred near Pali Tirtham.  A Lingam was consecrated over the
site and a thatched hut built to cover it.  Chinnaswami went there every morning and evening to do puja to the Lingam
and eventually stayed there at night too.

In December 1922, Bhagavan and His disciples came to stay at the Mother's Samadhi and that is how Sri Ramanasramam began.

From 1922 to 1924, Dandapani Swami and his son administered the small Asramam.  From 1924 to 1930 the Asramam was
looked after by Vasudeva Sastri and Gopal Rao.  In 1931, Chinnaswami took full charge of the Asramam.  A rubber stamp
embossed with the name 'Sarvadhikari Niranjanananda Swami, Sri Ramanasramam' was issued to him and this act was symbolic
of Sri Ramanasramam's transformation officially as an Institution. 

Bhagavan silently guided Chinnaswami to evolve into an exemplary manager.  He gave right support at the right moment.  He showed
him how to function in an institution and cooperate with others.  Chinnaswami learnt to place the interests of the Asramam first
and his own last.

There were a few ambitious people in to Asramam who coveted the position of Sarvadhikari, and were creating tensions hardly
conducive to the smooth functioning of the Asramam and its spiritual atmosphere.  The Asramam was even dragged to law courts
and due the help of a few influential people who were great devotees of Bhagavan, the law suits were won and a Will was
drawn with regard to the question of managing the Asramam affairs.  The Will was registered. 

Chinnaswami hardly talked to Bhagavan directly and he never did anything without Bhagavan's direct or indirect consent.
Only in the instance of Paul Brunton taking notes he stopped him and and made Brunton to leave the Asramam. 

Chinnaswami was particular that the visitors to the Asramam should be able to receive Bhagavan's grace without distinction.

In 1939, with Bhagavan's consent, Chinnaswami took steps to a build a temple over Samadhi of Mother Azhagammal. Over the
years he also worked hard to build rooms for visiting devotees, a Vedapatasala, a dispensary and a gosala and a dining hall.
He also acquired the house in Tiruchuzhi where Bhagavan was born and it was named as Sundara Mandiram.  He was also
instrumental in buying the house where Bhagavaan attained enlightenment and named it Ramana Mandiram and it has become
a place of sadhana for Bhagavan's devotees. 

Chinnaswami also conducted the Golden Jubilee Celebrations in 1946 to mark the fifty years of Bhagavan's advent at
Arunachala.  In 1920s the works of Bhagavan were published by various devotees under the seal of  Ramaneeyavaani
Pustakalayam.  These books were sold at first in Arunachaleswarar Temple and later a Sri Ramanasramam Book  Depot
was started and all the works of Bhagavan and the devotees' reminiscences were published under the name of
Sri Ramanasramam. 

1948, Chinnaswami took up the work of completion of Matrubhuteswarar Temple and Kumbhabishekam was celebrated
in grand scale. 

On the 14th April 1950, Bhagavan attained Mahanirvana. Chinnaswami lost His benign physical  presence and soon his
health also failed.  When he was bedridden, Viswanatha Swami totally took care of him.  On 3rd January Alamelu passed
away.  Finally the great karma yogi, Chinnaswami also breathed his last on 29th January 1953. His earthly remains were
interred in front of Mother's Temple.  He has been absorbed in his Guru. 


Arunachala Siva,