Author Topic: Sivaprakasam Pillai Day - 12.01.2014  (Read 5645 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Sivaprakasam Pillai Day - 12.01.2014
« on: January 12, 2014, 08:44:52 AM »
Among the five prose works contained in Collected Works of Sri Ramana Maharshi, the work Nan Yar? (Who am I?) holds a
place of unique eminence, both because of its contents and because of its genesis.  That is, not only does it contain an
extremely clear and undiluted account of the very core of Sri Bhagavan's teachings, but it is also the only original prose work
written by Sri Bhagavan Himself.  Whereas Vivekachudamani and Drik Drisya Viveka are works translated by Sri Bhagavan from
Sanskrit, and whereas Vichara Sangraham and Upadesa Manjari are works recorded and edited by devotees. 

Nan Yar? not only contains the original teachings of Sri Bhagavan but also holds the unique distinction of having been edited
and rewritten by Sri Bhagavan Himself in the form of a twenty paragraph essay.  However, more than any other factor, what has
really earned this small work a place of such great esteem in the hearts of all devotees of Sri Bhagavan is the fact that in such
a simple and direct language, it reveals truths of such great depth and practical value.

Sri Sivaprakasam Pillai was born on Saturday the 7th August 1875 in the village of Idaiyanpaalchori, west of Chidambaram.
He is the son of one Muthusami Pillai and Swarnammal.  His parents were pious and orthodox Saivites belonging to a
farming community known as Kaakaatha Vellalar. Hoping that his son would not only prosper in the material life but
would also continue to uphold the tradition of piety, the foundation of which was rooted in the rich soil of Tamizh Saivite
literature.  They arranged for him to study both English and Tamizh at school.  As he grew up, they found that both their
hopes showed signs of being fulfilled, for he was not only an intelligent student but was also naturally endowed with
all good qualities such as devotion, humility, honesty and kindness towards all living beings.

He had an inquiring mind and an eagerness to understand the truth underlying the appearance of our life in this world,
so at college he chose to study Philosophy as his major subject.  While at college, the question 'Who is this I who whirls
about in the world attached to the body?' arose spontaneously in his mind, but in spite of his studying many books he could
find no satisfactory answer to his deeply-felt doubt, and hence he began to feel a strong yearning to meet a great soul who
could give him the answer he was seeking.

After graduating from college, he was married to a girl named Parvati and in the year 1900 he was given employment in the
Revenue Department of South Arcot District Collectorate.  In 1902,  he happened to visit Tiruvannamalai for the first time
on some official duty, and there he heard of the saintly and ascetic life lived by a young boy on the Hill, whom all people
referred to as Brahmana Swami. Sri Pillai at once climbed the Hill to Guhai Namasivayar temple, where Brahmana Swami was
then staying, and on seeing the divine lustre, which shone in the face of the silent young ascetic, he felt strongly attracted
to Him as a piece of iron to a magnet. Immediately he asked Him the question 'Who am I?' which had been haunting his
mind for so many years. Little could he have known at that time, however, that the young Sage he saw seated quietly
before him was born in this world, with a divine mission to reveal the direct path of Self Inquiry, through which alone the true
answer to the question Who am I? could be experienced within the heart.  Such is the working of divine Grace that the fit and
worthy disciple had thus been automatically drawn to the proper Guru.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Sivaprakasam Pillai Day - 12.01.2014
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 09:49:08 AM »
continues....

(2)

Since in those early days, Sri Bhagavan rarely spoke except perhaps to His faithful attendant Sri Pazhani Swami, He answered
Sri Pillai's questions by writing on the sandy ground.  For a number of days, Pillai continued to ask Him a series of questions,
all of which He answered by writing either on the sand or on a slate, and most of His answers were later noted down by Pillai
from memory.  Some of the answers that Pillai received at that time, he later incorporated in lines 37 to 73 of one of his Tamizh
poems, Anugraha Ahaval, in which he describes some of the experiences he had of Sri Bhagavan's Grace. Later, in the year
1923, when some friends of his decided to print this poem and another poem entitled Sri Ramana Charita Ahaval, in which
he narrates the story of Sri Bhagavan's life, he edited in the form of thirteen qestions and answers in a brief summary of the
teachings he received from Sri Bhagavan in 1902, and this was printed under the title Nan Yar? (Who am I?) as an appendix
to the small book containing those two poems.

Since in 1923, very few works containing the original teachings of Sri Bhagavan had come into existence, this brief appendix
and the Anugraha Ahaval created such a stir of interest among the Tamizh devotees of Sri Bhagavan, that Pillai was soon
prevailed upon to edit a more detailed record of the teachings he received from Sri Bhagavan that Pillai was soon prevailed
upon to edit  a more detailed record of the teachings he received from Sri Bhagavan in 1902, and thus an enlarged version
of Nan Yar? came to be published as a separate booklet containing thirty questions and answers.  Soon afterwards, sometime
around the year 1927, Sri Bhagavan Himself rewrote these thirty questions and answers in the form of an essay, which is now
included in Sri Ramana Nool Tirattu.

After receiving these teachings in 1902, Pillai was convinced that Sri Bhagavan was God in human form, and firmly believing
that to have the darshan of such a great Jnani was the best of all spiritual practices, he began to visit Him once a month.
For some years he continued thus, but as time went by he began to find the job to be an obstacle to ceaseless Self Inquiry,
and so he submitted his resignation.  Knowing his good qualities and character, however his superior officer, who was an
Englishman did not accept his resignation.  Taking this to be the divine will, for some more time Pillai continued his job, but in a
detached and disinterested manner.  In the meanwhile, his wife and only son passed away.  This strengthened his Vairagya,
and knowing the body to be impermanent, he decided that he should not waste the precious days of his life but should dedicate
at his time to following the path of Self Inquiry taught  by his divine Guru.  Therefore he again submitted his resignation after
giving the requisite prior notice to his employer.

One of the reasons which prompted him to take this decisive step was as follows: In Sri Bhagavan's Presence, he would
sometimes effortlessly and spontaneously experience a state in which all movements of the body and mind were stilled,
and he also sometimes used to experience the state even when sincerely attending to his official work.  At such times
he would automatically forget the surroundings and his mind would turn to Selfwards.  Referring to this state, which he understood
to be the result of Sri Bhagavan's power of Grace, in lines 75-79 of Anugraha Ahaval, he sings, 'Subduing my karanas by Your
Power, absorbing me within this body as the form of mere consciousness, You graciously taught me the path of inquiry.'

continued.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 10:25:23 AM »
continues...

(3)

However, after some time, Pillai found that his attempts to practice Self Inquiry unceasingly were being obstructed by the
lustful desires which began burning him.  He decided to marry once again.  But many obstacles stood in the way of his
carrying out this decision, not least of all being his financially unsound status, and thus his mind was placed in a dilemma.
Finally in April 1913, he decided to appeal to the Almighty and hence he wrote four questions on a paper.  'What am I to do
to escape all miseries in this world?  Should I marry a girl I have in mind?  If I should not, why not?  If I should, how to acquire
the necessary money for that?' and humbly placed the paper at the feet of Lord Vinayaka in his village temple. Though Pillai
waited all night in a patient expectation, no answers were vouchsafed to him and hence he started at once for Tiruvannamalai.
Hesitating to openly broach the subject he had in mind with Sri Bhagavan, he sat quietly in His Presence for several days.
As he observed that the detached life lived by Sri Bhagavan, through the example of Sri Bjhagavan silently impressed upon
him that 'not desiring anything, making the expanding mind subside, attending to the Self and abiding as Self is alone the
good path to attain what is beneficial. Thus Pillai was made to feel that it would be based on his part to ask Sri Bhagavan
questions about such petty matters. He wanted to return to the village without asking any questions.

After deciding thus, but before he could start for his villavge, Pillai had several visions of Sri Bhagavan occurring over a
period of a few days.  These visions, which he described in lines 156 to 200 of Anugraha Ahaval made a powerful impression
upon his mind and as a result he felt completely relieved of his problems and of the desire to marry again.

In the village, a change began to take place in Pillai's outward behavior.  Sometimes for no apparent reason, he would
suddenly start laughing with irrepressible joy; he would often chant Tiruvachakam and other hymns in loud voice; he would
pay obeisance with folded hands to all forms which he saw; and he began wearing only a loin cloth with a vibhuti bag tucked
into it.  He smeared his whole body with ashes. He carried a long staff, he forgot all acharas of caste and religion, and without
any sense of difference he began frequenting places such as cremation ground and cheri (the area inhabited by the lowest
castes).  He also made a barefoot pilgrimage to the temple of Lord Muruga at Vayalur.  He found there the Lord's hand
was moving as a protection towards him.  Deeply moved on seeing this, tears welled forth from his eyes, and with great
devotion, he sang the praises of the Lord.

After his return from Vayalur, Pillai regained his normal state and with increased Vairagya, he continued his steady and persevering
practice of Self Inquiry and sometimes observed mouna.  His material needs were taken care of by his brother Sri Kunchithapadam
Pillai.  Pillai continued to visit Tiruvannamalai up to the year 1947, though in later years due to old age, he was not able to visit
as frequently as before.  During his many visits to Sri Bhagavan, he had many upadesas from Him, both of personal and general
nature, and these have been recorded in his Sri Ramana Pada Malai, Sri Ramana Deva Malai and Sri Ramana Sadguru Malai.

The fact that Pillai had finally achieved the goal of Self Knowledge for which he so earnestly strove and prayed, was subtly
indicated by Sri Bhagavan Himself.  That is after Pillai passed away on 12th January 1948, a telegram was sent to Sri Bhagavan
conveying the news and on seeing the telegram Sri Bhagavan said in Tamizh:  Siva Prakasam has become Sivaprakasam, the Light
of Siva.

concluded.

Sri Ramanarpanamastu.

Arunachala Siva.                     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »
I tried two verses of Sri Ramana Padamalai of Sivaprakasam Pillai:
I shall give the meaning of these verses in English in due course.

அருளே உருவமாய் வந்த
ஆசான் பாதம் வாழ்கவே,
மருளை நீக்கித் தெருள் அளிக்கும்
மறையோன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே

காண்போர் மனத்தைக் கவர்ந்து கொள்ளும்
கடவுள் பாதம் வாழ்கவே;
வேண்டல் வெறுத்தல் இரண்டும் இல்லா
விமலன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 04:49:32 PM »

I have tried two more verses in Sri Ramana Padamalai of Sivaprakasam Pillai.
I shall give the English rendering in due course.

தாழத் தாழ நலம் மிகும் என்று
தாழ்வோன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே
கீழோர் பாலும் கெடு வெறுப்பு என்
குகன் தன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே

நாம் எழில் பிறர் எழுவரென்று
நவில்வோன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே
நாம் அடங்கினால் அடங்குவர் என்னு
நண்பன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »
English rendering of the four verses of Sri Ramana Padamalai:

He is my Guru whose form is only Grace.  Let His feet live long.
He removed my delusion and conferred clear vision,
let this Brahmin's feet, live long.     

He attracted the mind of those who gazed at Him,
He is the Lord,, let His feet live long.
He is without likes and dislikes and He is pure, let His feet live long.

He said: When one is humble and more humble all good will happen.
He has not dislike even to the lowly,
He is Guha, let His feet live long.,

He said: if 'I' rises, others will also arise, let His feet live long.
He said: if 'I' subsides, the thoughts of others will also subside, let this friend's feet live long!   

Arunachala Siva.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 08:37:35 AM »
Dear Sir

The above verses by Sivaprakasam Pillai are really wonderful.  Can you tell the exact book title of his works which can be purchased at Sri Ramasramam?

Sivaparakasam Pillai is one of the foremost and wonderful devotee of Bhagavan.

By his wonderful question and answer he brought the excellent who am i teaching to the world. And got liberated by grace of Bhagavan Ramana.

Padamalai is the one written by Muruganar.

Is this another work with the same name written by Pillai?  Can you elaborate how many works S.Pillai has written?

Regards,
Krishna

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 08:50:08 AM »
Dear Krishnan,

This small booklet contains Sri Ramana Charita Ahaval, Sri Ramana Anugraha Ahaval, Sri Ramana Pada Malai and one small
poem titled viNNappam.  This book is not available in Sri Ramanasramam, as there appears to be no reprint. I bought
the last copy for a price of Rs 5.00, during one of my visits to Sri Ramanasramam three years ago.  The Charitam and Anugraham
are incomplete since Pillai died before that. Sri Sadhu Om had completed the ahavals.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 02:50:34 PM »
Two more verses from Sri Ramana Pada maalai:

ஆசாரம் விடல் அனர்த்தமா என்று
அறைவோன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே;
யோசித்து அவற்றின் பொருள் கொள் என்னும்
யோகி பாதம் வாழ்கவே

பதிசொல் கேட்டல் சதிக்கு அழகென்று
பகர்வோன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே
பதி போல் சாந்தம் சதி உருவாள் என்று
பகவன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 02:54:45 PM »
Translation of the above two verses from Sri Ramana Pada maalai:

1. Do not leave the acharam (practice for a non-sanyasi) - He said, let His feet live long.
    Think over and realize the meaning -
    The Yogi (Bhagavan) said. Let His feet live long.

2. To listen to husband's words is the beauty for a wife.
    - He said and let His feet live long.
     Like a husband keeps peace and remains ever without anger
     The wife also will have these qualities.
     He said - let His feet live long.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »

Two more verses from Sri Ramana Padamaalai:

பதித்திடு ஆன்மாவில் மனது என்று
பணிப்போன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே
அது தான் குரு சொல் போற்றல் அறி என்று
அருள்வோன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே

குற்றம் செயினும் குணமாக் கொள்ளும்
குரவன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே;
நற்றவமில்லா நாயேன் தனையாள்
ஞானி பாதம் வாழ்கவே

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 03:43:16 PM »
English meaning of the above two verses:

1. Fix the mind in the Atma (the Self) - He ordered, let His feet live long!

2. Even if devotees do mistakes, He will take his good qualities
    Let this Guru's feet live long!
    This dog without any tapas - He ruled over me, let that Jnani's feet live long!

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 01:38:23 PM »
Sri Ramana Pada Maalai of Sivaprakasam Pillai:

சொன்ன சொல் தவறாதே என்று
சொல்வோன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே
அன்யர் காரியத்தில் அகன்றிரு என்னும்
ஆப்தன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே

மரியாதை தான் வெளிக்காமென்று
வகுப்போன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே
அரிவை புருஷர்க்கு அமளியில் ஏதேன்று
அறைவோன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 01:42:03 PM »
Sri Ramana Pada Malai of Sivaprakasam Pillai:

Translation of the above verses:

Never fail to do it in action whatever you have uttered, He said, let His feet live long!
Keep away from other's actions - He said, let His feet live long!

The respect is only outside (for the Guru. When he is not there, keep him within the Heart)
He said, Let His feet live long!
The respect for the husband by the wife is only outside. In the bedroom it is not there.
He said, let His feet live long!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 03:17:10 PM »
These are two more verses from Sri Ramana Padamaalai of Sivaprakasam Pillai:

ஜோதி மயமாக் காட்சி அருளும்
ஸ்வாமி பாதம் வாழ்கவே;
ஆதி பகவன் அருளைப் பெற்ற
அன்பன் பாதம் வாழ்கவே

அறிந்தும் அறிந்தோனாகக் காட்டா