Author Topic: Interesting sites and malware related information  (Read 1396 times)

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Interesting sites and malware related information
« on: July 12, 2013, 07:19:07 AM »
Dear friends,

This is a link to an excellent site that deals with many computer-related and security issues, including how to ensure your passwords are secure.

http://arstechnica.com/security/

Malware and Rootkits

Malware is malicious computer software that interferes with normal computer functions or sends personal data about the user to unauthorized parties over the Internet. Most malware operates secretly, providing few clues to its presence and is generally not noticeable because unlike viruses it is not designed to harm your computer - it wants to stay on your system, so avoids detection. One of the major uses of malware is to recruit computers for botnets.

Rootkits are extremely dangerous and truly malevolent types of malware. They are composed of many parts and bury themselves so deep into your operating system that they become part of it and are 'almost' undetectable by normal anti-virus and malware scanning software.

These rootkits can be acquired by clicking on links in email, downloading items from unknown sites, or even just visiting the wrong web page.

Microsoft's Windows Defender scans for known rootkits on a scheduled basis, but does not scan for all of them.

There is some serious suspicion that a number of rootkits are used by governments to spy on people, read their emails, track their computer usage and even download their files.

For the past few years I have been using Malwarebytes Anti-malware, a free to use malware scanner, in addition to my regular anti-virus programme, and recently have also downloaded Malwarebytes MBar and Malwarebytes Chameleon to deal with rootkits - Chameleon is used to force Malwarebytes to launch in the event that a system is compromised and the protection programmes become disabled by the malware.

I can recommend all three as safe, but the malware 'definitions' require updating regularly, daily is best if connections permit.

Graham