Author Topic: Sri Bhagavan and animals, birds etc.,  (Read 22536 times)

Krishnan

• View Profile
Re: Sri Bhagavan and animals, birds etc.,
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2016, 03:17:09 AM »
Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya
---------------------------------------
Squirrels and sparrows liked to build their nests near Sri Ramana. He remembers, "There was once a regular war between the people here and the squirrels for a whole month. They used to build their nests over my head. Each day the people would destroy them and the next day the squirrels would have built them again. At last all the holes in the roof were stopped up and the squirrels could do nothing. At one time they used to run all over my couch and get into the sides and under the pillows and everywhere, and I had to look carefully before I sat down or leaned back. It has sometimes happened that I have accidentally leaned heavily on some small squirrel and given it samadhi [death] without knowing. The same thing sometimes happened on the hill too, at Skandashram. There too the squirrels used to nestle in my mattress and pillows. It began even before that. Even when I was at Gurumurtam birds and squirrels used to build their nests all round me."

-'Ramana Maharshi: His life' by Gabriele Ebert, (Luchow Verlag Stuttgart, 2003)

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2016, 03:29:03 AM »
-----------------------------------------

Question : What about diet?
Ramana Maharshi : Food affects the mind. For the practice of any kind of yoga, vegetarianism is absolutely necessary since it makes the mind more sattvic [pure and harmonious].

Question : Could one receive spiritual illumination while eating flesh foods?
Ramana Maharshi : Yes, but abandon them gradually and accustom yourself to sattvic foods. However, once you have attained illumination it will make less difference what you eat, as, on a great fire, it is immaterial what fuel is added.

Question : We Europeans are accustomed to a particular diet and a change of diet affects the health and weakens the mind. Is it not necessary to keep up one's physical health?
Ramana Maharshi : Quite necessary. The weaker the body the stronger the mind grows.

Question : In the absence of our usual diet our health suffers and the mind loses strength.
Ramana Maharshi : What do you mean by strength of mind?

Question : The power to eliminate worldly attachment.
Ramana Maharshi : The quality of food influences the mind. The mind feeds on the food consumed.

Question : Really! Then how can Europeans adjust themselves to sattvic food only?
Ramana Maharshi : Habit is only adjustment to the environment. It is the mind that matters. The fact is that the mind has been trained to think certain foods tasty and good. The food material is to be had both in vegetarian and non-vegetarian diet equally well. But the mind desires such food as it is accustomed to and considers tasty.

Question : Are there restrictions for the realized man with regard to food?
Ramana Maharshi : No. He is steady and not influenced by the food he takes.

Question: Is it not killing life to prepare meat diet?
Ramana Maharshi : Ahimsa [non-violence] stands foremost in the code of discipline for the yogis.

Question : Even plants have life.
Ramana Maharshi : So too the slabs you sit on!

Question : May we gradually get ourselves accustomed to vegetarian food?
Ramana Maharshi : Yes. That is the way.
--------------------------------------------------------

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2016, 09:05:40 PM »
-------------------------------------------------
Bhagavan's recipes:

Recipe for herbal medicine: Saraswatha Churnam

Ingredients required: dry ginger, liquorice, rock salt, the long pippali, cumin seeds, turmeric, barberry, calamus root, saussurea, omum. All these should be bought in equal measure.

Preparation: All the above ingredients should be carefully ground, made into fine powder and mixed together. Take a teaspoon of ghee (clarified butter) and a half teaspoon of the powdered mixture and mix thoroughly. Consume twice a day.

Parts of herbs used in the above: roots, seeds and salt.

Body parts for which the above is used: Brain and nerves.

How does it act?: Soothes nerves, restores calmness to an agitated brain and mind, acts on tissues, restores vitality.

What are the symptoms and indications that will necessitate the use of the above medicine?: Loss of memory, sluggish brain, insomnia, weak muscles and tissues.

-----------------------------------------------

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2016, 02:23:17 AM »
------------------------------------------
Bhagavan's recipe: Ashta Churnam

Bhagavan Ramana's recipe for this particular medicine is different from the traditional practice, and herein lies Bhagavan's speciality. In most traditional recipes, the physician follows a set pattern. All ingredients are taken in equal measure. Bhagavan also follows this method in some of his recipes. But mostly, he differs from the common physician in this aspect. Each ingredient is proportionately selected and mixed, depending upon the strength and properties of the ingredient. This is the essential difference between Bhagavan's recipes and those traditionally followed by physicians. Bhagavan's formulations are more potent and effective. Another great advantage is that these recipes are the handiwork of the supreme Jnani and therefore not only the physical, but also mental and spiritual results of these recipes are manifold and invaluable.

Ingredients:

Black pepper - 9 parts,
Dry ginger - 7 parts
the bigger Cumin Seed - 5 parts
Rock Salt - 5 parts
Long Pippali - 5 parts
Cumin Seed - 3 parts
Omum - 2 parts

Clean all the above ingredients well and convert them into fine powder. Rice should be well cooked and mixed with ghee. Take a spoon of the above churnam and mix it well with the rice and then consume it. The above prescription cures indigestion, poor appetite, stomach ache and is also good for rheumatism.
-------------------------------------

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2016, 08:04:48 AM »
----------------------------------------

Bhagavan's recipe: Pittahari

Ghee ? 5 parts
Cumin Powder ? 5 parts
Sugar ? 5 parts
Ginger ? 1 part

Grind the ginger well and mix all the ingredients. Heat the mixture. Mix the juice of seven lemons, heat further until sufficiently hot. Consume one teaspoon of this twice a day. This recipe cures indigestion and excess bile caused by the dysfunction of the liver.

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2016, 12:05:10 AM »
---------------------------------------

Bhagavan's recipe: Aswagandhi Churnam

Clove : 10 grams
Sirunagappu : 20 grams
Cardamom : 40 grams
Black Pepper : 80 grams
Rice Pippali : 160 grams
Dry Ginger : 320 grams
Withania : 640 grams
Sugar Candy : 1280 grams

One can easily see that the quantity of the ingredients increases by multiples of two. This is again a speciality of Bhagavan Ramana. In ancient medicinal books the prescription for this particular recipe does not contain as many ingredients and certainly not their proportionate increase. Clean the ingredients well, powder them and mix them well. This is a medicine for general vitality, strength and vigour.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 12:08:00 AM by Krishnan »

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2016, 04:41:53 AM »
------------------------------------
Bhagavan's recipe: Vaiswanara Churnam

Rock Salt : 1 part
Omum : 2 parts
Cumin seed : 3 parts
Long Pippali : 4 parts
Dry Ginger : 5 parts
Outer shell of the Myrobalan fruit : 6 parts

Convert these above into fine powder, and mix them well. When necessary take between 1 to 3 grams of this powder, mix it with either water or buttermilk and consume. Take thrice daily. This prescription cures stomach problems like a dull stomach-ache, burning sensation in the stomach, etc.

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2016, 09:06:59 PM »

Bhagavan's recipe:  Agnimukha Churnam

Calamus root : 1 part
Long Pippali : 2 parts
Dry Ginger : 3 parts
Omum : 4 parts
Myrobalan fruit : 5 parts
Saussurea : 6 parts
Kodiveli : 7 parts

Convert these above into fine powder and mix them well. When necessary take between 1 to 3 grams of the powder, mix well with hot water and consume. This formulation cures indigestion, gastric problems and drives away excess heat in the body.

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2016, 08:17:31 AM »
--------------------------------------

30th June, 1947

Recently a rich lady residing in Ramana Nagar was getting a basket of jasmine flowers from her garden everyday and giving them to all the married ladies in the hall. Bhagavan observed this for four or five days but said nothing. She did not discontinue that practice. One day she put the flower basket on the stool, bowed before Bhagavan and got up.

Bhagavan looking at someone nearby said, "Look! She has brought something. They are flowers perhaps. What for?"? With some fear she said that they were not for Bhagavan but for the married ladies and began distributing them. "Oh! If that is so, they could as well be distributed at their houses.

Why here? If someone gives flowers thus, all others begin doing the same thing. Seeing that, people who come newly will think that flowers must be distributed and will buy and bring them. Then the trouble starts. I never touch flowers.

In some places, it is usual to present flower garlands. Hence, many people bring flowers. I have not allowed people to do puja to the feet or to the head. Why do we require such practices?" said Bhagavan.

With fear and trepidation she said, "No. I will not bring them any more." Bhagavan said, "All right. That is good,"? and looking at those still near him, went on as follows: "You know what happened at one of the Jayanthi celebrations? A devotee got a book by name Pushpanjali printed and said he would read it. When I said 'Yes', he stood a little behind and began reading. He appears to have had some flowers hidden in his lap. As the reading came to a close, bunches of flowers fell on my legs. On enquiry, it was found that it was his doing.

He did it thus because he knew I would not agree if he told me beforehand. What to do? Perhaps in his view it is no puja unless it is done like that."

During the early days of my stay here, on a Varalakshmi Puja Day, one or two married ladies placed some flowers on Bhagavan's feet, bowed before him and went away after seeking his permission for puja. Next year, all began doing the same thing. Bhagavan looked at them angrily and said, "There it is" one after another, all have started. Why this? This is a result of my keeping quiet instead of stopping it in the very beginning. Enough of this."

Not only in regard to himself but even in regard to puja to the deities Bhagavan mildly rebukes devotees about using leaves and flowers. I have already written to you in one of my previous letters about the laksha patri puja (puja with one lakh of leaves) of Echamma.

There is another instance. During the days when Bhagavan used to go round the hill with devotees in stages, they camped one morning at Gowtama Ashram. After the men and women had cooked, eaten and rested, and were getting ready to go so as to reach the Ashram before sunset, a lady devotee by name Lakshmamma, who was born in Tiruchuli and was a childhood friend of Bhagavan and who used to talk to him familiarly, was plucking and putting in a basket the jasmine and tangedu flowers that had grown luxuriantly on the trees in and around the cremation ground there. Bhagavan noticed it and asked smilingly, "Lakshmamma, what are you doing?"? She said, "I am plucking flowers." "I see. Is that your job? It is all right but why so many flowers?"? asked Bhagavan. "For puja," she said. "Oh! It won't be a puja unless you worship with so many flowers, is that it?"? said Bhagavan. "I don't know. These trees have abundance of flowers. So I am plucking them," she said.

"I see. As in your opinion it will not be nice if there is a luxuriant growth of flowers, you are making them naked. You have seen the beauty of that growth and you do not like others to see it.

You have watered them and helped them in their growth, haven't you? So you can take the liberty of plucking all the flowers and making them naked so that no one else can see that beauty. It is only then that you will get the full benefit of your puja, is it?"? said Bhagavan.

Sources:

1) Letters from Sri Ramanasramam by Suri Nagamma
2) http://suri-nagamma.blogspot.com/2007/07/letter-127.html

- Reposting from thread titled 'Ramana Maharshi Does Not encourage Plucking More Flowers From A Tree For Puja ' by ramana_maharshi

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2016, 08:55:02 PM »

S: Robert, if a person believes that they're happy in this alleged consciousness that we all possibly share, I mean your students, is that the same thing? Being in love with nature as being in love with life. Is that about on the same level in your eyes as...

R: All of these things that you're referring to is a projection of your mind. You create your universe, and you create your world, and you create the trees and the birds and everything else. So get rid of your mind and everything else will go.

S: There won't be any trees?

R: You'll be the tree. You?ll be everything you like.

S: So then it's really the ego that has all the beauty.

R: You can say that, yes. You bring fresh flowers into your room and then they die in a couple of days. So how can that be real ultimately? Everything you fall in love with gets old and dies. So how can you say that's real? Contact reality and you will always be happy.

- Robert Adams and Bhagavan

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2016, 07:22:25 AM »

SPARROW AND GRACE

Bhagavan sometimes told this story to characterize the mind of a true devotee: When a sparrow was flying, holding its egg in its beak, the egg slipped and fell into the ocean. The sparrow, anxious to retrieve it, repeatedly dipped itself in the ocean, sucked some water through its beak, came to the shore, released the water and fanned its wings.

The sage Narada who was passing that way saw this action of the sparrow, enquired, and came to know the reason. "You stupid sparrow! Is this something you can accomplish?" said Narada.

The sparrow replied, "I don't care whether it is possible or not. If I persevere tenaciously, beyond that it is in God's hands."

Narada, delighted with its faith, went to Garuda and told him everything. Then he said, "A creature belonging to your bird tribe is exerting itself with so much faith. Is it proper for you to keep quiet? Can you not help?"

After hearing this story Garuda flew quickly to the sparrow. As soon as he flapped his wings there, all the waters of the ocean separated into two, leaving the egg of the sparrow visible. The sparrow immediately picked it up in its beak and flew away.

- Guru Vachaka Kovai
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 07:25:18 AM by Krishnan »

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2016, 12:55:56 AM »
-----------------------------------

Talk 177.

D.: What is mahat?
M.: The projected light from Absolute Consciousness. Just as a seed swells up before sprouting and then sprouts and grows, so also the
Absolute Consciousness projects light, manifests as the ego and grows up as the body and the universe.

- Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, Sri Ramanasramam 2006

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2016, 06:49:34 AM »

Just as the goat's beard wanders and wags for nothing, people roam about merrily but in vain, doing Karmas for the fulfillment of their worldly desires, while despising the disciplines [followed by aspirants] which lead to eternal Moksha in Self. Ah, what a pitiable spectacle is the condition of these worldly people!

- Guru Vachaka Kovai, v. 71

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2016, 08:20:43 PM »

M.: See how a tree, whose branches are cut, grows again. So long as the life-source is not affected it will grow. Similarly the samskaras
(anamneses) sink into the heart in death: they do not perish. They will in right time sprout forth from the heart. That is how the jivas
are reborn.

D.: How does the wide universe sprout forth from such subtle samskaras remaining sunk in the heart?

M.: Just as a big banyan tree sprouts from a tiny seed, so the wide universe with names and forms sprouts forth from the heart.

- Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, Talk 108

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2016, 09:01:34 PM »
Question: What is the cause of tanha, the thirst for life and the thirst for rebirth?
Maharshi: Real rebirth is dying from the ego into the spirit. This is the significance of the crucifixion of Jesus. Whenever identification with the body exists, a body is always available, whether this or any other one, till the body-sense disappears by merging into the source ? the spirit, or Self. The stone which is projected upwards remains in constant motion till it returns to its source, the earth, and rests. Headache continues to give trouble, till the pre-headache state is regained. Thirst for life is inherent in the very nature of life, which is absolute existence - sat. Although indestructible by nature, by false identification with its destructible instrument, the body consciousness imbibes a false apprehension of its destructibility. Because of that false identification it tries to perpetuate the body, and that results in a succession of rebirths. But however long these bodies may last, they eventually come to an end and yield to the Self, which alone eternally exists.

Questioner: Yes, "Give up thy life if thou wouldst live", says the Voice of the Silence of H.P.Blavatsky.
Maharshi: Give up the false identification and remember, the body cannot exist without the Self, whereas the Self can exist without the body. In fact it is always without it.

Questioner: A doubt has just now arisen in a friend of mine's mind. She has just heard that a human being may take an animal birth in some other life, which is contrary to what Theosophy has taught her.
Maharshi: Let him who takes birth ask this question. Find out first who it is that is born, and whether there is actual birth and death. You will find that birth pertains to the ego, which is an illusion of the mind.

Questioner: Is it possible for a man to be reborn as a lower animal?
Maharshi: Yes. It is possible, as illustrated by Jada Bharata - the scriptural anecdote of a royal sage having been reborn as a deer.

Questioner: Is the individual capable of spiritual progress in an animal body?
Maharshi: Not impossible, though it is exceedingly rare. It is not true that birth as a man is necessarily the highest, and that one must attain realisation only from being a man. Even an animal can attain Self-realisation.

- From The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi, Edited by David Godman