Author Topic: Sri Bhagavan and animals, birds etc.,  (Read 22506 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Sri Bhagavan and animals, birds etc.,
« on: December 23, 2013, 03:16:07 PM »
After Bhagavan moved down from Skandasramam and settled in Sri Ramanasramam, at the base of Arunachala, more and more
devotees and visitors came for Bhagavan's darshan and sought His blessings since it was no longer necessary for people to
climb the Hill.  But with this  change, He was now more accessible to human devotees than to His animal companions.  Bhagavan
often lamented the fact that in Sri Ramanasramam He was indoors, where animals did not have free access to Him.  He insisted
that no one regardless of what species they belong to should be deprived of His darshan.  Slowly the ashramites and devotees
began to understand that Bhagavan's animal companions were also His devotees and as dear to Him as any of them.

After coming to Sri Ramanasramam, one day, Bhagavan unusually got up abruptly after listening to some peculiar noise
and went eastward to the farthest fence of the Asramam.  An old monkey with a retinue of female monkeys were shouting
and crying aloud.  Bhagavan alone had heard it, perhaps the cries of the monkeys were directed at Him !

He went near the crying monkey and listened to him and then addressed him:  Thatha (Grandpa) ! What to do? I have been
retained here.  I could not come there. I also miss you all very much.  You have come to see me with your Queens, all the way
from there, risking attacks from other herds of monkeys staying in these parts.  How are you?  How is your family?  Is everything
all right?  I am quite well here.  Please go back and also take back these queens safely.  It is very good of you to have come
to see me.

Bhagavan's voice was choked and tears were rolling down from his eyes.

Bhagavan returned to the Hall and told the devotees about the incident.

(Source: Hobblers and Monkeys of Arunachala)

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Sri Bhagavan and animals, birds etc.,
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 10:30:52 AM »
Bhagavan's Warning:

One day in the Hall, a devotee was reading the newspaper to Sri Bhagavan.  There was an article in it about team of
veterinarians from Chennai coming to Tiruvannamalai to catch monkeys for taking them to various research laboratories.
Upon hearing the news,  Bhagavan turned to the monkey clan gathered at the window and warned them of the approaching
danger, advising them to go and hide for three days.  Evidently they understood His words and heeded them as not one
monkey was seen for several days thereafter.

(Source: Bhagavan and  Hobblers and Monkeys)

Arunachala Siva.   

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 06:15:34 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

How lovely,lovely thread! I just love it! Stories about Bhagavan's and animals i find so sweet,so beautiful and touching.

Thank You so much for starting it,dear Sir!

With love and prayers,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
Rivalry over sitting on Bhagavan's lap:

When Bhagavan was living on the Hill, this incident took place.  Bhagavan loved children and was charmed by their innocence.
He admired their lack of hypocrisy.  Vajreswari, the four year old daughter of Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni, a staunch devotee
of Bhagavan and a well known Sanskrit scholar, had full liberty with Bhagavan and would insist on sitting on His lap, whenever
Vajreswari came. Bhagavan would often call her near Him and show her affection by putting her on His lap and talking to her.

Once Vajreswari  came to the Skandasramam and as usual  sat on Bhagavan's lap.  As Bhagavan was holding her and talking
to her lovingly, a young monkey came up to them.  The young monkey apparently got jealous of Vajreswari, pushed her off
Bhagavan's lap and took her place.

Vajreswari, started to cry, and she pleaded with Bhagavan: 'Send this monkey out. I want to sit on Your lap.'

But the young monkey would not give up his privileged place and continued to sit there. This rivalry amused Bhagavan but at the
same time, He wanted to appease both of them.

He turned to the young monkey and said, 'Look, Vajreswari is you sister.  Is she not?  Let her also sit on my lap with you.'
Give her some room.'  Then He looked at Vajreswari who was standing near Him and said, 'Is he not your younger brother?
Come on both of you sit on my lap.'

Finally both the child and the monkey sat together on Bhagavan's lap fully satisfied and enjoyed each other's company.
Is  this not a practical demonstration of Bhagavan's love for all beings irrespective of their forms?  It is a lesson to all
devotees !

(Source: Divya Jeevita Makarandam, Tr. from Telugu)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 01:07:32 PM »
Asylum:

Once, a group of young monkeys entered the Hall.  When Sri Bhagavan's attendants tried to chase them away, the young ones
ran straight to Bhagavan and hid under sofa, as they knew that nobody would touch them as long as they were near Bhagavan.
The attendants indeed stopped pursuing them.

The little ones made the most of their strategic advantage and lost no time in taunting the attendants, going as far as making
faces at them.  Bhagavan chuckled, fully enjoying the situation.  He made it clear that He was on the monkeys' side, by rewarding
the cheeky little rascals with fruits and nuts.

(Source: Hobblers and Monkeys of Arunachala.)

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »
Bhagavan's command:

Ramani Ammal of Rajapalaym, a devotee, was a permanent resident of Ramana Nagar.  She shared with V. Ganesan the following
anecdote:

Once, when I was seated in front Bhagavan in the Old Hall, slices of fruits were brought by a devotee and placed before Bhagavan.
A monkey walked in at that time and wanted the fruit.  Though the attendant was not very keen to oblige, upon Bhagavan's
behest, he gave the monkey a piece of fruit.  Receiving it, the monkey bounded away, but another monkey soon came in evidently
informed of the former.  A piece was given to the second monkey also and he soon went away.  A third came in for a share!

Bhagavan gave him a piece, saying, 'All right!  Now don't go and inform any others, or else these people here will be angry with
me!'  The third fellow left with his share and obviously followed Bhagavan's command to the letter, as there was no furhter
claimant from his group.

(Source: Moments Remembered - V. Ganesan)

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 09:11:47 AM »
Suffering is mine:

Krishnaswami was Bhagavan's attendant for almost twelve years.  As he was dominating the other attendants, he was
nicknamed 'Hall Sarvadhikari'.  Krishna Swami was a veritable enemy of monkeys.  He would chase them, shout at them,
and sometimes beat them when they were doing mischief in the Hall or when they tried to steal the fruits.  Once when
when Krishnaswami began beating the monkeys, Bhagavan was deeply pained.

In a cracked voice full of pain, Bhagavan stunned His attendants and all the others gathered in the Hall when He said:
'You are not beating the monkeys.  You are beating me.  The pain is mine.'

What compassion and understanding Bhagavan had!  He could feel the pain of others even if was an animal or bird.

When some devotees complained to Bhagavan that the monkeys were troubling them, He would say, 'Not many years back
it was deep jungle here, the monkeys' home. They roamed freely.  We came and cleared the ground, built houses and drove
the monkeys away.  Who is to be blamed?  They are we?  If they give us a little trouble, can we not bear it quietly?'

Bhagavan would always come to their defense.  Devotees were ashamed of their complaint.

(Source: Moments Remembered, V. Ganesan.
              Face to Face with Sri Ramana Maharshi, A Collection of essays from Hyderabad Ramana Kendramu.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 10:48:50 AM »
Monkeys and Mangoes:

Suri Nagamma writes in one of her letters about how the monkeys take only what they need.

This morning at 10 'O clock Dr. Ananthanaryana Rao and his wife Ramabai brought some good mangoes from their garden
and while giving them to Bhagavan, said "The monkeys are taking away all the mangoes.  So we hurriedly plucked these
and have brought them here."  Bhagavan said smilingly, 'Oh is that so. So the monkeys are going there also."  Then looking
at all the others there. He said, 'Yes, monkeys take the fruits one by one while people take them all in one lot.  If asked why,
they say it is their right.  If what the monkeys do is petty thief, what people do is regular looting. Without realizing that,
they drive away the monkeys.'

(Source: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam.)

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »
Attachment to Bhagavan:

Sri Bhagavan, when He was in a reminiscent mood would talk about life on the Hill and His experiences about the peacocks.
One day, He talked about a particular peacock which was with Him in Skandasramam.

When I was in Melasramam (Skandasramam), a peacock would come to me daily from the town and stay with me for prolonged
periods.  The owner used to come and take him home.  The peacock persisted in coming often and staying with me.  One day he
refused to go back with the owner.  The owner, perhaps lost his patience and suddenly burst out humorously, 'Swami, Give me
money and take this peacock. Of what use is to me when it does not stay with me but is always found in your presence?'

I told him, 'Why should I do so?  Where am I go for the money?  I am a penniless 'Swamiyar' with a piece of kaupeenam. You
can take your peacock away.  I did not call him here.'

But the peacock continued to come as usual and none succeeded in stopping him from coming to me.

(Source: Timeless in Time - A.R. Natarajan)

Arunachala 'Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »
Dancing of peacocks and snake:

When Bhagavan was in Skandasramam, there were peacocks.  They would spread their feathers like a spangled fan and dance.
There was a cobra too which would also take part in the pastime and raise its hood and moved about in their midst. Actually
the peacocks and snakes are enemies and they fight until one of them die.  But in Sri Bhagavan's Asramam, it was a beautiful
sight for the devotees who were fortunate to witness the group dancing performance in awe.  This can happen only in a
Rishi's Ashram.

(Source: Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, Talks # 324).

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 12:08:45 PM »
Unlucky Ones:

Once a man brought two peacocks with their eyes covered.  When let loose in Bhagavan's presence, they flew away.  They were
brought back again but they again flew away.  Bhagavan said: 'It is no use trying to keep them here. They are not ripe enough
in their minds as the dogs.'  However much the man and the asramites tried to keep the two peacocks in the Asramam, they
would not remain there even for a minute.

Sadhu Arunachala (Major Chadwick) in his book 'A Sadhu's Reminiscences of Ramana Maharshi' writes:

This is most interesting and shows that all were not fit to remain in His presence, and even animals came to Bhagavan with a
purpose.  Bhagavan also told us how, at times, people would reincarnate in the body of animals just for a chance to be near
with Him.  There is of course, the famous example of Cow Lakshmi.

(Sources: Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, # 120 &
A Sadhu's Reminiscences of Ramana Maharshi)

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 08:27:34 AM »
10. The White Peacock and the Crow:

S.S. Cohen, one of the staunch devotees of Bhagavan, who was privileged to move closely with the Master,
has recorded the following incident in his book Guru Ramana:

24th June 1948, 9.0 am.  Maharshi is reading and talking in a cheerful mood.  The white peacock strolls in, pecks
a few of the grains placed before him by the attendant and walks off confidently to a short distance.  A crow drops
in and set to pecking hastily at the grains.  Bhagavan draws out attention to the scene.  The peacock stands aghast
at the scandalous encroachment of the crow.  Horrified, he spreads his feathers round his back, cranes his neck and looks
fiercely at the crow, as if ready to spring.

Now -- he peacock steps forward with an extremely bellicose gait. We all thought that a terrific battle was going to be waged
before our eyes,  To our astonishment the crow proves brazen faced, as he remains unmoved.  He watches the peacock
mockingly with one eye and with the other continues to peck greedily -- obvious he knows his man.

Still we are apprehensive of the fate of crow.  But alas, the peacock, instead of advancing, suddenly falls two hurried steps
back and stops meditatively - planning, we thought, a violent attack.  We waited, but when at last the assault did come,
it was a single resolute step forward followed by a dead halt.  By now all the grains have been peacefully reposed into
the crow's belly, who then hops to the water in the cement basin nearby, drinks his fill, wipes his beak on the hard ground,
bows in deep salute to the proud peacock and flies away contentedly.  The Maharshi and all of us had a hearty laugh at the
cowardice of the peacock, who now cools down, lowers his feathers and struts away with a feeble show of bravery. We were
thoroughly amused. 

Sri Bhagavan has all along been very fond of watching the behavior of animals. He has thus become an expert in anticipating
their reactions in given circumstances and in knowing how to deal with them to help them.  His sympathy and consideration   
for them even exceed for humans.

(Source: Guru Ramana, S.S. Cohen)

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 08:59:29 AM »
Bhagavan and Peacocks - White and Colored Ones:

One day Bhagavan was in His usual reclining posture. It was about 10.00 a.m.  There was  quite a large gathering that day.
Nobody spoke.  There was a vibrant silence in the Hall.

Two peacocks walked into the Hall at that time.  One was white and the other was multicolored.  Catching Bhagavan's silent
wish, the attendant put out a handful of grains for each of them.  The colored peacock began to peck away at His Prasdam.
The white one, without touching his share, stood watching the other feed with relish.  Suddenly the white one flew away at
the other and drove him away.  The one, that was driven away looked up at Bhagavan. One could easily feel the appeal and
the silent query in the bird's look. 

Bhagavan smiled and spoke to the mischief maker, the white peacock, as a loving mother might to a mischievous little son,
'Come here!  You have your share. Why do you trouble him?'  Everyone in the Hall was watching.  The white peacock took a
few dignified steps towards Bhagavan.  He gazed at Him with shining eyes.  Bhagavan, extending His hands, said softly,
'Yes, eat your share, leave him alone. Go, go!'  Obediently, the white peacock retraced his steps to his portion of the grains.
It seemed as if a highly tensed spring had been gently and firmly released.  Nobody spoke. Silence has become more silent.
Everyone, including the peacocks understood.

This demonstration of pure love and understanding moved every one's heart. This incident is noteworthy because one saw
the unity of the trainer and the trainee as the union of the river with the ocean!

(Source: Guru Ramana, S.S. Cohen)

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 07:44:10 AM »
Jackie's Last Days:

The manner of Jackie's death is interesting.

It was a few weeks before Pongal festival in 1933.  Jackie was very ill.  He was very sick.  Bhagavan arranged a soft
bed for him, attending to his wants.  Jackie refused to take any solid food and he was fed on milk.  Jackie did not leave
the presence of Bhagavan, ever since he fell sick.  Bhagavan attended on Jackie very affectionately.  After a few days,
Jackie grew weaker and he was emitting a very bad smell.  But it made no difference to Bhagavan.  He would take Jackie
in His arms and cares Jackie very lovingly.  Jackie died peacefully in Bhagavan's arms.  Although Jackiie death could have
come any time, he survived till the festival of Pongal was over.  The parallel between Jackie's death and that of Bhishma,
the grand old warrior of Mahabharata was not missed by Bhagavan.  With the death of Jackie, Kamala's lineage came to an
end.  Jackie was buried in the Asramam precincts near the samadhis of VaLLi, the deer and the blessed crow.  A small
monument was built over Jackie's Samadhi.

(Timeless in Time - A.R. Natarajan)

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 10:16:19 AM »
Pups are like small kids:

Bhagavan had the same concern for all beings - be it a human or an animal.  He demonstrated it also.

a) There was a small pup in the Asramam.  He was always near Bhagavan and often used to sit on His couch also.
One day, the pup urinated on Bhagavan's couch.  The attendants were very angry and were about to beat the pup.
But compassionate Bhagavan came to the rescue of the pup and defended the pup.  'The pups of the dogs should be
treated as small children. Do you get angry if a small human child had done it?'  So, Bhagavan got up to clean the place.
The attendants felt ashamed of themselves for treating the pup badly.  They cleaned the place by themselves. 

b) There was another puppy, which would always relieve herself on a spot near the office.  Chinnaswami would get furious
and try to drive her out of the Asramam.  But Bhagavan would come to the rescue of the puppy, saying that if some child
did the same nobody would be angry, and the puppy was only a child and knew no better.

(Source: Arunachala Ramana, Volume 3.)

Arunachala Siva.