Author Topic: Ardra Darsanam - 18.12.2013  (Read 927 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Ardra Darsanam - 18.12.2013
« on: December 18, 2013, 08:30:40 AM »

Today in  Chidambram, there is Ardra Darsanam.  Today's star is Ardra. The Margazhi (Dhanur) Tiruvadirai festival is going on
in the Temple from 09.12.2013.   Today, the penultimate day, 18.12.2013, is the Ardra Darsanam.  Nataraja and Sivakamasundari,
the Lord and the goddess comes out to give darshan to thousands of devotees today.  He and the goddess are kept in a
palanquin on the open ground in front of the Temple from 10.00 a.m and give darshan.  Along with them the other deities,
Ganesa, Muruga and Chandikeswara also are placed nearby.  The abishekam (oblations) start from 2.00 am and special archanai
(Puja chanting various names of Siva) are done from 10.00 am.  Up to 4.00 p.m. devotees can have darshan.  Then the deities are
taken through the four main streets around the Temple and people in those streets can also have darsan.

Tomorrow on 19.12.2013 night, again the panchamurtis (Nataraja, Sivakamasundari, Ganesa, Muruga, and Chandikeswara also
come to the four streets in flower palanquin.

During one of the many transfers to various centers, my father was also posted to Chidambaram for two years.  During those
tow years, I, my sisters and parents had this unique Ardra Darsanam. 

The devotees prepare kaLi (a granuled rice and jaggery preparation) at  homes along with kootu (mixed vegetable preparation)
and do pujas at the home altar.  In the temple also after 10 am. kaLi are distributed to devotees. 

In Tiruvannamalai Sri Ramanasramam, they also do puja to Nataraja in the Mother's Temple and distribute kaLi to the
devotees.

Saint Manikkavachagar's Tiruvembavai is chanted everyday during this festival. 

Arunachala Siva.               

Balaji

• View Profile
Re: Ardra Darsanam - 18.12.2013
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 11:06:27 AM »
Story behind why Kali is given as Prasadham :

A devotee named Sendanar had the habit of eating food after offerring it to Lord and then distribute among other devotees . Only the leftover he will eat.On the tiruvadirai day , due to constant bad weather he couldn't get any essential items for preparring proper meal.He had no other option but to mix water with rice flour and prepare a mashed paste.Lord Shiva understood his predicament.He wanted the people to know how sincere his devotee was to him.He disguised himself as a siva devotee and enjoyed what was given to him as food.And as he stood for a while in the Nataraja Sanctrum,The Lord Showered the Kali all over the premises , in recognition of his deep devotion.Since the day the miracle happened Kali is the special offering to Lord Nataraja on Margazhi.

from fb
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Ardra Darsanam - 18.12.2013
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 12:17:25 PM »
Dear Balaji,

I was not knowing this story.  Thank you very much for the same.

Arunachala Siva.