Author Topic: Lalitha Sahasranamam- Devotee of Lalitha Devi needs help / advice  (Read 21709 times)

PKar

• View Profile
Hi All, first of all this is not spam, I have posted the same question on another website too. Apologies if this is offending, I am new here and do not intend to break rules. I came across this forum as I was searching the internet to read about Lalitha Sahasranamam and I realized that there are many knowledgeable members here who can guide / advise me, hence the question:

I'm a young student studying in the US. I'm attracted to Devi from a long time. One year back, I decided to start reading Lalitha Sahasranamam. I try to read once a week. When I was in India I used to prepare sweets for naivedyam but now it's not possible because of time constraints.

My question to all Devi devotees- I get dreams of Devi all the time. Once as Kanchi Kaamakshi (in her real form), once as Durga (in her real form, she gave me bangles in the dream, this was after Ashtami when I did Devi oati and offered her dupatta, bangles etc. She gave me all bangles but continued to wear what I offered to her), many snake temples dreams, once as a huge Kali murthi in a strange faraway land, once some lady came in my dreams and told me to keep Utsavmurthi during navaratri, once a eunuch perfoming Durga pooja in my garden, dreams of temple murthis etc. I feel Devi is trying to tell me something. Am I not praying to her enough? I'm not regular in my prayers because of college, but try to chant Lalitha Sahasranamam once a week. Don't drink or eat eggs on Fridays. I'm a vegetarian.

Please help me. Any small pooja I can do daily to please my beloved Devi Maa? Any mantra I can chant?

I'm going through a rough phase currently with mounting problems but my beloved Devi Maa will bail me out as always I'm sure. However, can all the Devi devotees please please help / guide me? I'm 24, female, unmarried.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Lalitha Sahasranamam- Devotee of Lalitha Devi needs help / advice
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 05:29:27 PM »
 Dear PKar,

Welcome to the forum!

Regarding your post about dreams,i also have very unusual dreams all the time. What helped me to understand them better are writings of Sri Aurobindo on dreams symbolism. Here is the meaning of dreaming Mother Durga according to Him. I must say that i always find it quite true.

The lion with Durga on it is the symbol of the Divine Consciousness acting through a divinised physical-vital and vital-emotional force. The lion is the attribute of the Goddess Durga, the conquering and protecting aspect of the Universal Mother.

One must not be distressed or depressed by perceiving the weaknesses inherent in human nature and the difficulty of getting them out. The difficulty is natural, for they have been there for thousands of lives and are the very nature of man's vital and mental ignorance. It is not surprising that they should have a power to stick and take time to disappear. But there is a true being and a true consciousness that is there in us hidden by the surface formations of nature and which can shake them off once it emerges. By taking the right attitude of selfless devotion within and persisting in it in spite of the surface nature's troublesome self-repetitions one enables this inner being and consciousness to emerge and with the Mother's Force working in it deliver the being from all return of the movements of the old nature.
An ideal is their leader and their king:
Aspiring to the monarchy of the sun
They call in Truth for their high government,
Hold her incarnate in their daily acts
And fill their thoughts with her inspired voice.

Here is the symbolism of snake and serpent:

The snake form is a symbol of Energy. The snake indicates some kind of energy always, oftener bad, but it also can indicate some luminous or divine energy. The opening of the hood indicates the victorious or successful activity of the Energy indicated by the snake.
The snake is simply a symbol of Energy or Power. Narayana in your vision is clearly Vishnu as is shown by the presence of Lakshmi and the single many-hooded snake.
Vishnu or Narayana in this image which is a normal Puranic image is the Lord of the waters of Space and Time — the Preserver of the principle of the Universe which he maintains as a seed in himself even in the intervals between one creation and another. Out of that seed on his navel (the navel is the central seat of the Vital, the Life Principle) Brahma the creator arises in Lotus (cosmic consciousness) which grows from it when Vishnu awakens from the intra-cyclic sleep. The snake Ananta is the Energy of the cosmic manifestation of the Infinite in Space Time.

Here is the link of all the symbols:

http://www.sriaurobindo.us/TheMother_SriAurobindo_OnDreams.htm 

With love and prayers,

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 05:48:21 PM »
Dear PKar,

Just to add,i believe dreaming the Mother is a Blessing. That means She is with You always helping You to go through all the obstacles. Her Love and Grace is guiding You and protecting You in every possible way.
So don't worry these dreams are Blessings.

With love and prayers,

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 08:47:01 PM »
Dear PKar,

Welcome to the forum! Like Jewellji said, you are very blessed to have this love for Devi Maa. Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa loved Mother Goddess - you should read about him when you get a chance.

I know personally being a student in the US can be very challenging but Mother is always with you to guide you. I used to chant a few verses of Soundarya Lahari daily as a child. You can pick the verses that are most comforting to you.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

PKar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 01:52:12 AM »
Dear PKar,

Just to add,i believe dreaming the Mother is a Blessing. That means She is with You always helping You to go through all the obstacles. Her Love and Grace is guiding You and protecting You in every possible way.
So don't worry these dreams are Blessings.

With love and prayers,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Jewellji,

Thank you so much for responding. I went through the information / link you sent me and have bookmarked it to look up the interpretation of other dreams. I love Devi maa so much that I would love to see her in my dreams always. It is good to know that She is always with me, guiding me.

Thank you once again for sharing this information. May God bless you!

PKar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 01:56:31 AM »
Dear PKar,

Welcome to the forum! Like Jewellji said, you are very blessed to have this love for Devi Maa. Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa loved Mother Goddess - you should read about him when you get a chance.

I know personally being a student in the US can be very challenging but Mother is always with you to guide you. I used to chant a few verses of Soundarya Lahari daily as a child. You can pick the verses that are most comforting to you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Lathaji,

Thank you so much for responding to my question. Regarding your suggestion, which verse of Soundarya Lahiri did you chant? Also, is there any procedure to be followed to chant?

In another forum, members suggested that I read Khadgamala Stotram. Waiting to hear from them about the procedure. I read somewhere on the internet that as these are powerful Tantric texts, only the initiated should read it. I am non-initiated, I have no guru (Sai Baba I consider to be my Guru God) While reading Lalitha Sahasranama, I request Lord Ganesha to initiate me into reading it.

Can you help me here?

God bless you!

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 05:32:16 AM »
Hi All, first of all this is not spam, I have posted the same question on another website too. Apologies if this is offending, I am new here and do not intend to break rules. I came across this forum as I was searching the internet to read about Lalitha Sahasranamam and I realized that there are many knowledgeable members here who can guide / advise me, hence the question:

I'm a young student studying in the US. I'm attracted to Devi from a long time. One year back, I decided to start reading Lalitha Sahasranamam. I try to read once a week. When I was in India I used to prepare sweets for naivedyam but now it's not possible because of time constraints.

My question to all Devi devotees- I get dreams of Devi all the time. Once as Kanchi Kaamakshi (in her real form), once as Durga (in her real form, she gave me bangles in the dream, this was after Ashtami when I did Devi oati and offered her dupatta, bangles etc. She gave me all bangles but continued to wear what I offered to her), many snake temples dreams, once as a huge Kali murthi in a strange faraway land, once some lady came in my dreams and told me to keep Utsavmurthi during navaratri, once a eunuch perfoming Durga pooja in my garden, dreams of temple murthis etc. I feel Devi is trying to tell me something. Am I not praying to her enough? I'm not regular in my prayers because of college, but try to chant Lalitha Sahasranamam once a week. Don't drink or eat eggs on Fridays. I'm a vegetarian.

Please help me. Any small pooja I can do daily to please my beloved Devi Maa? Any mantra I can chant?

I'm going through a rough phase currently with mounting problems but my beloved Devi Maa will bail me out as always I'm sure. However, can all the Devi devotees please please help / guide me? I'm 24, female, unmarried.

Hi PKar

Please dont think I am discouraging you.

My reply is quite different.

First,  I am also considering myself having lot of interests in Divine Mother worship.

I have learnt Lalitha Sahasranamam just by hearing it lot of times by Sivananda Vijayalakshmi (long version)  CD.

From my experience,  detailed tantric texts like Kadgamala Sthothram are not really required.  If one persists in reading, one should be initiated into Sri Vidhya to do that.

Having said that,  I lay lot of stress to nama japa of Amma and lot of visualization of meditations in her sanctum sanctorum.    One can choose any time and any mood of devotion to worship Devi.  Detailed rituals are not a must according to me.  Love and devotion and spirit of surrender is important.

Coming to your dreams,  you are giving lot of importance to dream interpretation.  Further ,  if everybody praises you for getting Devi in dreams and offer you nice interpretation and nice waymarks,  that will boost your ego only.

In Ramana Maharishee School all so called accomplishments are considered a roadblock in sadhana.

Sadhaka needs the foremost quality of humility and persistence and patience -   leave everything to the Higher Power in the form of Apeetha Kuchamba.

Don't get excited by the intimate dreams you get.  Don't get distressed if you are not getting dreams.

We are all already dreaming this world. Why dreams inside this dream?

So carry on with your deep love and devotion and do what best you can.

Rest is the Supreme Atma Shakthi's will.

Regards,
Krishna , male 30.

PKar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 02:13:24 PM »

Hi PKar

First,  I am also considering myself having lot of interests in Divine Mother worship.

I have learnt Lalitha Sahasranamam just by hearing it lot of times by Sivananda Vijayalakshmi (long version)  CD.

From my experience,  detailed tantric texts like Kadgamala Sthothram are not really required.  If one persists in reading, one should be initiated into Sri Vidhya to do that.

Having said that,  I lay lot of stress to nama japa of Amma and lot of visualization of meditations in her sanctum sanctorum.    One can choose any time and any mood of devotion to worship Devi.  Detailed rituals are not a must according to me.  Love and devotion and spirit of surrender is important.

Coming to your dreams,  you are giving lot of importance to dream interpretation.  Further ,  if everybody praises you for getting Devi in dreams and offer you nice interpretation and nice waymarks,  that will boost your ego only.

In Ramana Maharishee School all so called accomplishments are considered a roadblock in sadhana.

Sadhaka needs the foremost quality of humility and persistence and patience -   leave everything to the Higher Power in the form of Apeetha Kuchamba.

Don't get excited by the intimate dreams you get.  Don't get distressed if you are not getting dreams.

Regards,
Krishna , male 30.

Hi Krishna, thanks a lot for your reply. I agree completely with your suggestion. However, these dreams are surely indicating something, which is why I seeked help. However, your advise about doing the best I can is actually true. I agree that Devi will guide me at the right time. I assumed that She may guide me through one of you! You never know Her divine ways! Thanks.

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 08:17:59 PM »
Dear Lathaji,

Thank you so much for responding to my question. Regarding your suggestion, which verse of Soundarya Lahiri did you chant? Also, is there any procedure to be followed to chant?

In another forum, members suggested that I read Khadgamala Stotram. Waiting to hear from them about the procedure. I read somewhere on the internet that as these are powerful Tantric texts, only the initiated should read it. I am non-initiated, I have no guru (Sai Baba I consider to be my Guru God) While reading Lalitha Sahasranama, I request Lord Ganesha to initiate me into reading it.

Can you help me here?

God bless you!

Dear PKarji,
A neighbor who noticed that I  was very interested in studies, taught me verse 15 and asked me to chant it daily. Also my mother used  to chant these shlokas daily - I picked up a lot of them by just listening to her! Here is a link to the complete lyrics with meaning
http://www.sankaracharya.org/soundarya_lahari.php

As for initiation, I attend discourses at Chinmaya Mission regularly and we are taught to chant a lot of these stotras. The mission and Bhagavan Ramana Mahrshi's teachings do not follow any process of mantra initiation. I feel very blessed to feel the grace of Bhagavan but I strongly believe that pure devotion will guide you in the correct direction. Focus on your devotion for Mother Goddess and not get side-tracked by dreams and tantra. Reading about great ones like Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi will definitely help.

You are blessed to feel the love for Mother Goddess, have complete faith that she will guide you.

PKar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 06:01:51 AM »
Dear Lathaji,

Can you help me here?

God bless you!

Dear PKarji,
A neighbor who noticed that I  was very interested in studies, taught me verse 15 and asked me to chant it daily. Also my mother used  to chant these shlokas daily - I picked up a lot of them by just listening to her! Here is a link to the complete lyrics with meaning
http://www.sankaracharya.org/soundarya_lahari.php

As for initiation, I attend discourses at Chinmaya Mission regularly and we are taught to chant a lot of these stotras. The mission and Bhagavan Ramana Mahrshi's teachings do not follow any process of mantra initiation. I feel very blessed to feel the grace of Bhagavan but I strongly believe that pure devotion will guide you in the correct direction. Focus on your devotion for Mother Goddess and not get side-tracked by dreams and tantra. Reading about great ones like Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi will definitely help.

You are blessed to feel the love for Mother Goddess, have complete faith that she will guide you.

Thank you Lathaji! This link has been of immense help. I will go through the shlokas to see which appeals to me the most and try t o repeat.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 06:51:12 AM »

Hi PKar

Regards,
Krishna , male 30.

Hi Krishna, thanks a lot for your reply. I agree completely with your suggestion. However, these dreams are surely indicating something, which is why I seeked help. However, your advise about doing the best I can is actually true. I agree that Devi will guide me at the right time. I assumed that She may guide me through one of you! You never know Her divine ways! Thanks.

Dear PKar

Thanks for your reply.  Thinking about your situation,  I get one important question.
You have not answered that and nobody here asked that question .

Without that vital question you will not get clarity.

So as I ask this, please ask yourself also.

what is that 'something' indicated by Dreams that you expect to be?  In other words,  what is the real reason for your love towards Devi?

It may be material or spiritual like cleansing of vasanas,  cleansing of desires,  a desire for samadhi exp,  a desire for direct vision etc.

So please ask yourself what is that you really really want from Divine mother?  Dont simply say I do not want anything but pure devotion.  That is fine,  it is the ideal.  But our innermost core of the mind will generally have a motive when we approach a God or Guru.  It may be spiritual or material, noble or mean but for all of us 99.9% there will be a motive.  Be honest to yourself,  ask your sub conscious and try to find that innermost desire you are having behind all this devotion.

That innermost reason,  when you bring it to the forefront ,  a lot more mysteries will get revealed to you.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 10:22:21 AM »
All visions and dreams are dual.  You are the seer and the seen is different.  The real attainment is to attain Devi within
Heart.

Arunachala Siva. 

PKar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 12:51:30 AM »

Hi PKar

Regards,
Krishna , male 30.

Thank you Krishnaji for the excellent explanation. I am pondering over what you said and will try not to get too carried away by my dreams, tough as it may be.

PKar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 12:52:49 AM »
All visions and dreams are dual.  You are the seer and the seen is different.  The real attainment is to attain Devi within
Heart.

Arunachala Siva.

Thank you so much for your response. I'm thinking about what you said.

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 02:42:00 AM »
Dear PKarji,

I would like to share with you an incident that happened with Bhagavan. I found the example very useful to understand the effectiveness of self-enquiry. Hope it helps you as well.

Once a poor simple woman(not highly educated) was complaining to Bhagavan about a lot of family problems. Bhagavan after listening to her problems asked her if she had the problems when she was in deep sleep. When the woman replied she did not, Bhagavan let her know that the problems were not real and she should enquire into who was affected by the problems.

Kavyakanta Ganapathi Muni who was standing closeby thought Bhagavan should have adviced her to pray or do japa instead of asking an uneducated poor woman who was overwhelmed by problems to do self-enquiry. Bhagavan did not explain his reasons at that time.

The next day Bhagavan shared a story which clarified his reasons for the advice. Two poor men who were travelling together retire for the night. One of them falls
asleep while the other is awake next to him. The sleeping man dreams that he is very rich and a robber steals all his riches. He starts screaming for help to
catch the thief. Should the dreamer's companion try to catch the thief,or call the police or wake up the sleeping man?

Just like the dreamer needs to wake up from his dream, when a person is overwhelmed by problems the best solution is to do self-enquiry. Just like in the dream state the dream seems to be real until we wake up, our life and problems seem to be real since we identify with our body and mind.